PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting insight?

badger
6/24/2008, 01:04 PM
After reading how Switzer aced the recruiting scene back in the 70s (see football board on hell freezing over or something to that tune), I want more recruiting insight :D

If we have any know ers about ers of the recruiting variety, I would love to know more about the recruiting process.

1- What does a high school athlete do to get noticed?
Examples: What are the best camps to attend to get on the radar, what do parents do to get coaches to start calling them back, does money talk, etc.

2- What does a school do to get noticed?
Examples: What is the best thing to get a recruit on campus? Every school has a brochure, but what specifically to athletes get that encourages them to come visit and commit? If you're gonna mention the rule breaking methods, please offer links and specifics so that it isn't hearsay and rumors alone.

3- What do recruits do to get scholarship offers?
Examples: Are there middle men that connect student-athletes with schools? Does playing at certain schools and in certain calibur games (i.e. state tourneys) ensure scholly money more than just pure talent? Please differentiate between the different sports, as football recruiting is different from baseball recruiting.

4- What do schools do to get recruits to accept offers?
Examples: Go ahead and list the rule breakers, because we all know it happens. New jobs, new cars, new houses, anyone? However, I would also love to hear about the NON-rule breaking methods of getting the recruit, because all top schools these days can offer free stuff and money.

5- I dream of playing for OU and I'm five years old. What should I do and what should mommy and daddy do to get me an athletic scholarship when I graduate from high school?
Examples: That kid quarterback from the Tulsa area that has his daddy changing schools all the time to get playing time :rolleyes:

insuranceman_22
6/25/2008, 01:25 AM
This could get interesting......

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2008, 03:18 AM
1-Send a buttload of game film to college recruiting directors. There are some firms who will edit together your video for you and send it to colleges. Attendance at the Nike Camps and the school-sponsored camps is always a great idea as well so that the coaches can see you up close-but they're going to want to see that film so they can get an idea of whether you can actually play.

2-Official visits are pretty closely monitored, so kids pretty much "get" all the same stuff on officials. Depends on the kid as to what gets them to visit a school.

3-Yes, there are recruiting services that focus on getting a kid noticed. Yes, you are much more likely to get a scholarship offer if you're a decent back in Texas than if you're an all-state back in Montana. Part of that is you've been playing against higher-quality competition. The other part of that is that you're more likely to get noticed. This is football only-basketball is so focused on the AAU world that getting recruited is almost completely based on how you do on the AAU circuit-so a stud from Anchorage can wind up hitting the game-tier in the NCAA finals pretty easily. :D Baseball-those scouts don't miss ANY prospects, so those kids are pretty well-scouted by the time they're 17. Hockey-to get noticed by a college hockey recruiter, you do well in Junior Nationals.

4-Different things for different kids.

5-Win a genetic lottery. Play a lot of ball, organized or not. Don't put crap into your body.

badger
6/25/2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks Mike :) Anyone else have any insight?

goingoneight
6/26/2008, 12:31 AM
1a. Send your best HS film to coaches everywhere... even schools you despise ala aggy (See: Ryan Broyles).
1b. If your favorite team hosts summer training camps, show your butt up in shape and ready to rock and roll... make sure to have the best showing of your life everytime, don't rub the coaches the wrong way with sass or 'all about me' attitude. IOW "yes, sir... no, sir."
1c. Have a great HS career (this is the tricky part).
1d (if all else fails). Stage a fake signing day celebration with three hats from your favorite CFB teams.

2a. The school, if not already an established pipeline, helps it's student-athletes in their quest for playing at the next level with everything from tutoring to making calls, video, getting the word out to that assistant who's watching another prospect blast your HS team Friday Night (See: Sam Bradford).
2b. Make sure your student athletes get exposure outside of the old shack they call a field house during the summer. Scope around for camps for major D-1 schools if you can afford to send them or if they can afford to go.
2c (if all else fails). Kidnap the coordinator scouting players on Thursday night.

3a. All of the above and beyond. Don't be a dumas is one of the best things that can get a Sam Bradford the nod over a Ryan Perilloux. Good citizenship, grades and exposure are just as important as having "what it takes."

4a. Anything from staging a cheesy ceremony, let them hold your cystal football, let them tour campus on the hottest night on the town, send them to a sorostitute house for "a couple of hours..." if you think about high school seniors, especially guys... it's not hard to imagine how coaches beg and plead to seal the deal.
4b. Invite them to that one home game where you know that you know your team is just going to obliterate the visiting team like an orange-headed stepchild. This works wonders if said opponent is on said recruit's "list."

5. Get your lazy five-year old azz in the weight room with Schmiddy.