PDA

View Full Version : Finally saw "Full Metal Jacket" last night.

SoonerStormchaser
6/24/2008, 01:00 PM
I'm not a Stanley Kubrick fan at all...but I kinda liked this one (at least the first part). My wife was a bit...well, horrified is the wrong word, but something like that...at the way R. Lee Ermey's character treated the trainees. But I didn't have a problem with any of it...in fact, I kinda wish the USAF would adopt that style (to an extent) instead of the pussified manner they run Lackland now. "Time out" cards? Are you effing kidding me? Heaven forbid we should bruise their little egos and self-esteem cause their feelings are hurt.

We need more R. Lee Ermeys in this world...

Mjcpr
6/24/2008, 01:01 PM
Maybe she was just appalled that someone so young would have that kind of a mouth on him.

r5TPsooner
6/24/2008, 01:02 PM
One of the best movies ever made IMO.

soonermix
6/24/2008, 01:12 PM
heh i used to be able to almost quote the entire first part of that movie.

pergdaddy
6/24/2008, 01:27 PM
One of the greatest movies ever made. So many great quotes (mainly from Ermey) to be quoted from this movie.

Just reading through all of the quotes on imdb, I can picture the movie in my head.

Gomer Pyle.
Private Snowball.

tommieharris91
6/24/2008, 01:42 PM
"Only 2 things come from Texas: steers and queers."

ousoonerfan
6/24/2008, 01:57 PM
"I didn't know they stacked **** that high. Are you trying to squeeze an inch in on me somewhere?"

pergdaddy
6/24/2008, 02:01 PM
Trivia:
One of the scenes cut from the movie was a scene that showed a group of soldiers playing soccer. The scene was cut because a shot revealed they were not using a soccer ball, but a human head.

Animal Mother
6/24/2008, 02:22 PM
Git some! Git some! Yeah! Yeah! Anyone that runs, is a VC. Anyone that stands still, is a well-disciplined VC! You guys oughta do a story about me sometime!
Why should we do a story about you?
‘Cuz I’m so f*ckin’ good! I got me 157 dead g**ks killed. Plus 50 water buffalo too!
Any women or children?
Sometimes!
How can you shoot women or children?
Easy! Ya just don’t lead ‘em so much! Ain’t war hell?

r5TPsooner
6/24/2008, 02:24 PM
Some of the best one liners in a movie evar.

Hamhock
6/24/2008, 02:29 PM
Another f'in movie that ridiculed the American warrior who keeps us relatively free and well stocked w/ beer and BBQ. Please don't anyone think our armed forces were or acted like that. Same w/ MASH and Platoon. Entertaining but not true to life.

i'm not arguing with you, but i talked to a couple of veterans of that war that said it was pretty darn accurate.

Animal Mother
6/24/2008, 02:48 PM
Another f'in movie that ridiculed the American warrior who keeps us relatively free and well stocked w/ beer and BBQ. Please don't anyone think our armed forces were or acted like that. Same w/ MASH and Platoon. Entertaining but not true to life.

IT WAS ONLY A MOVIE!!! Like many movies the story was based in part on real life experiences and some was horse sh!t. Remember that formula. It was an anti-war movie anyway. What did you expect recruiting videos?

pergdaddy
6/24/2008, 03:12 PM
I wasn't there so I won't pretend to know what it was like. I had my uncle in Vietnam and he would never talk about it. My mom (his sister) said he watched many friends bleeding and dying (he was a medic). I can only assume when you are in a jungle getting shot at from anywhere and women and children run at you with bombs attached trying to blow you up, that you might "snap" and start taking EVERYONE out. I could be wrong.

Movie was awesome, based on some facts but not a true story.

My dad is 62, was in the army reserves. He said there were drill instructors like that, not exactly like that, but pretty hard ***. Said in an instance or two, some would shoot themselves in the foot or something so they didn't have to go. My dad, I believe, had a bad knee and that's why he didn't go. He was a mechanic.

soonerscuba
6/24/2008, 03:36 PM
In that book suppository building, sir!

ousoonerfan
6/24/2008, 03:46 PM
Lemme see your war face!!

Turd_Ferguson
6/24/2008, 06:35 PM
Lemme see your war face!!
"You don't scare me....work on it!"

"Well, no ****."

"Dissapear scumbag!"

:D

yermom
6/24/2008, 06:43 PM
is that you, John Wayne?

Turd_Ferguson
6/24/2008, 06:48 PM
is that you, John Wayne?
Who said that.....who the **** said that....who's the slimey twinkle toe'd c*cksucker that just signed his own death warrant. I will PT you all until you ****ing die!!!":D

Edit: My memory glands ain't what they used to be...

from imb or whoever the **** they are

Who said that? Who the **** said that? Who's the slimy little communist ****, twinkle-toed ********** down here who just signed his own death warrant? Nobody, huh? The fairy ****ing godmother said it. Out-****ing-standing. I will PT you all until you ****ing die. I'll PT you until your *******s are sucking buttermilk.

SoonerDood
6/24/2008, 07:13 PM
I am unfamiliar with "Time out" cards. I went thru Lackland in the last 6 months and I don't know anything about them. Please 'splain. They sound ghey.

SoonerStormchaser
6/24/2008, 08:36 PM
maybe it was a few years ago and they finally got rid of it...but when my brother went through, they had "time out" cards that you could use if the TI was getting in your face too much. You pulled the card out and they had to leave you alone for ten minutes.

Turd_Ferguson
6/24/2008, 08:41 PM
maybe it was a few years ago and they finally got rid of it...but when my brother went through, they had "time out" cards that you could use if the TI was getting in your face too much. You pulled the card out and they had to leave you alone for ten minutes.your ****'n me, right?

olevetonahill
6/24/2008, 08:43 PM
maybe it was a few years ago and they finally got rid of it...but when my brother went through, they had "time out" cards that you could use if the TI was getting in your face too much. You pulled the card out and they had to leave you alone for ten minutes.

Pusies
My Drill sergeant chewed and Old boy out so Hard the dude ****ed his pants. then as he Made us March for hours we smelled he scared him to :eek:

olevetonahill
6/24/2008, 08:46 PM
your ****'n me, right?

No . WE had this discussion a few years back . "Stress Cards".
Yup I remember In a firefight Ole Charlie was getting me up set so I pulled out My stress Card and Told him I wanted a Break . That ****er shot the Card . so I shot Him.

Kels
6/24/2008, 08:52 PM

Thankfully, not across the board, but somewhat truthful nonetheless. A guy I worked for was a LT in Nam. One of his men murdered another guy in the platoon. They got hit with rockets everyday, and after awhile the guy just couldn't take it anymore. War is hell, and brings out the worst in people as well as the best.

Whet
6/24/2008, 08:56 PM
"Hey Joker"

SoonerStormchaser
6/24/2008, 08:56 PM
No . WE had this discussion a few years back . "Stress Cards".
Yup I remember In a firefight Ole Charlie was getting me up set so I pulled out My stress Card and Told him I wanted a Break . That ****er shot the Card . so I shot Him.

BINGO!!!

Whoever thought of that card idea shoulda been shot!

StoopTroup
6/24/2008, 10:06 PM
If you liked FMJ....

Checkout these other titles.

Deer Hunter
The Killing Fields
A Thin Red Line

Remember to click on update before leaving your queue.

Mongo
6/24/2008, 10:15 PM
If you liked FMJ....

Checkout these other titles.

Deer Hunter
The Killing Fields
A Thin Red Line

Remember to click on update before leaving your queue.

A Thin Red Line sucked with the force of a thousand Mjcpr's.

def_lazer_fc
6/24/2008, 10:18 PM
Said in an instance or two, some would shoot themselves in the foot or something so they didn't have to go.

there's actually been an increase in this type of stuff lately. a report was released, maybe a week or so ago about it? anyone remember hearing of this?

Rogue
6/24/2008, 10:18 PM
Make you wish you'd joined the military instead of the USAF, SSC?

def_lazer_fc
6/24/2008, 10:21 PM

ill have to agree on this one.

Taxman71
6/25/2008, 09:07 AM
My uncle Roger and my uncle Jerry, who were in Nam, saw Coming Home in a Bodybag and said it was the most accurate Vietnam film they had ever seen.

picasso
6/25/2008, 12:36 PM
They filmed the street fighting in an old refinery in London.

burp.

yermom
6/25/2008, 12:56 PM
My uncle Roger and my uncle Jerry, who were in Nam, saw Coming Home in a Bodybag and said it was the most accurate Vietnam film they had ever seen.

Bone
6/25/2008, 12:59 PM
Full Metal Jacket is like two good movies in one.

StoopTroup
6/25/2008, 01:03 PM

I never said I was a Film Critic.

SoonerStormchaser
6/25/2008, 03:53 PM
Make you wish you'd joined the military instead of the USAF, SSC?

Nah...my job kicks *** too much for me to have done anything else.