PDA

View Full Version : Your Current Reading

royalfan5
6/24/2008, 10:13 AM
For Me I am working on: The Complete Brothers Grimm Fairytales, Charlie Wilson's War, and The Dictators(A side by side comparison of Stalin and Hitler)

I just Finished Massey at the Brink, a book about Massey Ferguson's attempt to restructure in the late 70's/early 80's and Wheels for the World about the history of Ford.

Up Next will be a book about the end of the British Empire, and probably the Yiddish Policeman's Union.

BillyBall
6/24/2008, 10:16 AM
Niall Ferguson - Colossus

Good read, its just taken me way too long to finish.

royalfan5
6/24/2008, 10:19 AM
Niall Ferguson - Colossus

Good read, its just taken me way too long to finish.

I think I have that in my to read stack. In general, most of his work is pretty good.

ousoonerfan
6/24/2008, 10:19 AM
Larry McMurtrey - Lonesome Dove

JohnnyMack
6/24/2008, 10:22 AM
Elie Weisel - Night

OU4LIFE
6/24/2008, 10:24 AM
Just finished Duma Key, really enjoyed it.

Now reading Odd Hours, Koontz.

Soonrboy
6/24/2008, 10:32 AM
Elie Weisel - Night

My son is having to read this as his summer reading assignment for next year. This and Hiroshima.

I'm getting a copy today so we can talk about it.

SoonerInKCMO
6/24/2008, 10:36 AM
Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson. After a failed attempt at K2, a dude wanders off the path back to where he wants to go and insteads ends up in a remote village in Pakistan. The folks are real nice to him and he spends a few days there. He finds that they have no school. He promises to build them a school. Since then, he's built that school and 50+ others in remote parts of Pakistan. I'm about 1/4 through and it's pretty good so far.

M
6/24/2008, 10:40 AM
The Fatal Shore: The Epic of Australia's Founding by Robert Hughes

JohnnyMack
6/24/2008, 10:40 AM
My son is having to read this as his summer reading assignment for next year. This and Hiroshima.

I'm getting a copy today so we can talk about it.

I read it back in HS. Got the new translation that came out a couple of years ago and thought I'd give it a go. Not that I have the mental faculties to remember the difference at this point. :O

soonersis
6/24/2008, 11:40 AM
Greater Than You Think : A Theologian Answers Questions About God by Father Thomas Williams

C&CDean
6/24/2008, 11:49 AM
I do about 2 novels a week. Lots of Patterson, Koontz, Ludlum, Silva, and many, many others. Most are pretty good, but I have to admit I am currently reading HP & TOOTP for the third or maybe fourth time. I tend to go several months reading stuff, then go back and read my way through the HP series. Yeah, I'm a nerd like that, but I am always entertained and the hours melt away sitting on airplanes and in airports.

I'm looking forward to reading HBP again (I've only read it twice), and DH (I've only read it once).

Hamhock
6/24/2008, 11:54 AM
I'm still working through Foxe's Book of Martyrs.

I've found that the reading time is inversely proportionate to the number of kids in the house.

JohnnyMack
6/24/2008, 11:57 AM
I do about 2 novels a week. Lots of Patterson, Koontz, Ludlum, Silva, and many, many others. Most are pretty good, but I have to admit I am currently reading HP & TOOTP for the third or maybe fourth time. I tend to go several months reading stuff, then go back and read my way through the HP series. Yeah, I'm a nerd like that, but I am always entertained and the hours melt away sitting on airplanes and in airports.

I'm looking forward to reading HBP again (I've only read it twice), and DH (I've only read it once).

http://codebloo.net/stuff/picard-headesk.jpg

OU4LIFE
6/24/2008, 12:10 PM

I know you've probably tried it, but the books by Jim Butcher - 'The Dresden Files' are great time wasters.

and there's 10 of them, so you gots plenty to start with until the next one comes out in April

JohnnyMack
6/24/2008, 12:10 PM
Oh god here we go again.

Bone
6/24/2008, 12:12 PM
Currently:
The Virtue of Selfishness - Ayn Rand
Next up:
A New Kind of Science - Stephen Wolfram

Frozen Sooner
6/24/2008, 12:41 PM
Just read a couple of books by David Sedaris. Funny stuff.

r5TPsooner
6/24/2008, 12:44 PM
An Inconvenient Book by Glenn Beck. Very funny, witty, factual and just a good read for anyone who calls them self a conservative or who's beliefs are based mainly on common sense.

OU4LIFE
6/24/2008, 12:55 PM
Just read a couple of books by David Sedaris. Funny stuff.

Dress your family in corduroy and denim?

birddog
6/24/2008, 12:56 PM
juggs.

Animal Mother
6/24/2008, 02:16 PM
I don’t read books. Books are considered media. All media has a left leaning slant. My bookshelf leans that way so all media slides off onto the floor and I sure don’t read dirty books.

soonervegas
6/24/2008, 02:48 PM
Team of Rivals

Oldnslo
6/24/2008, 02:52 PM
I finished, in rapid succession, the new Bond book (Devil somethingorother. it was just okay) and an old Michael Chrichton book, Timeline.

SicEmBaylor
6/24/2008, 03:16 PM
For Me I am working on: The Complete Brothers Grimm Fairytales, Charlie Wilson's War, and The Dictators(A side by side comparison of Stalin and Hitler)

I just Finished Massey at the Brink, a book about Massey Ferguson's attempt to restructure in the late 70's/early 80's and Wheels for the World about the history of Ford.

Up Next will be a book about the end of the British Empire, and probably the Yiddish Policeman's Union.

Charlie Wilson's war is okay, but The Dictators is fantastic.

I'm currently reading a great book called "The Jewish Confederates" that discuss the 10,000 or so Jewish southern soldiers. I knew the Confederate Sec. State was Jewish, but I never realized that many fought.

reevie
6/24/2008, 07:22 PM
The Judas Strain by James Rollins. Just finished his Black Order book as well.

Also still working on Dynamo 5, Volume 2 in my comic stack.

Scott D
6/24/2008, 07:37 PM
I'm reading the Terry Brooks "The Word and The Void" 'prequel' books.

Cam
6/24/2008, 07:39 PM
Stephen Coonts: The Traitor

lefty
6/24/2008, 08:34 PM
Recently
Kevin Phillips Bad Money
John Dean Broken Government
In the process
Rick Perlestein Nixonland

Howzit
6/24/2008, 08:38 PM
Death's Head by David Gunn

Kind of an updated Starship Troopers (Heinlein's not the movie) minus the bugs.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/24/2008, 08:44 PM
This stuff.

http://www.critterridders.com/viper_lg.jpg

You could kill your neighbors with this stuff.

def_lazer_fc
6/24/2008, 10:46 PM
im going back over stephen colbert's I am America... cuz im bored. and haven't made it to a bookstore in a couple weeks. :(

Frozen Sooner
6/24/2008, 11:18 PM
John Dean Broken Government

Got to meet John Dean and get an autographed copy of this one about a month ago. Interesting thesis.

OUsooner1
6/25/2008, 04:36 AM
The Zombie Survival Guide- Max Brooks

whatsername
6/25/2008, 07:01 AM
Just finished Duma Key, really enjoyed it.

Now reading Odd Hours, Koontz.

I read Duma Key recently, I really enjoyed it also! I've also recently read Blaze, another good one... except the ending! Duma had a good ending and that made me happy. Blaze had a typical not-so-good Stephen King ending, IMO.

Right now I'm reading Playing For Pizza by John Grisham. So far, so good.

Next up is Odd Hours.

OU4LIFE
6/25/2008, 07:25 AM
I really enjoy the Odd books, fun reading. I just wish he'd get off his *** and get going on Frankenstien book 3. Books one and two were very cool.

Howzit
6/25/2008, 11:21 AM
I really enjoy the Odd books, fun reading. I just wish he'd get off his *** and get going on Frankenstien book 3. Books one and two were very cool.

I tried to read Odd Thomas and just couldn't get into it. Never finished it.

Probably because my bran is so much ginormouser thens your are.

SoonerInKCMO
6/25/2008, 11:26 AM
Kevin Phillips Bad Money

I just finished that a week or two ago. Did you like it? I thought the author brought up some good issues... but it seemed that he referred to his previous works a lot and didn't have a whole lot of new information - at least not enough new to justify a whole book. It had the feeling of something that was rushed a bit to capitalize on timing; i.e. coming out when the news is filled with stories about the burst housing bubble and its after-effects.

OU4LIFE
6/25/2008, 12:50 PM
I tried to read Odd Thomas and just couldn't get into it. Never finished it.

Probably because my bran is so much ginormouser thens your are.

true that. Any thing that has more than two syll able words just don't inter est me none.

lefty
6/25/2008, 05:26 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerInKCMO;2324102]I just finished that a week or two ago. Did you like it? I thought the author brought up some good issues... but it seemed that he referred to his previous works a lot and didn't have a whole lot of new information - at least not enough new to justify a whole book. It had the feeling of something that was rushed a bit to capitalize on timing; i.e. coming out when the news is filled with stories about the burst housing bubble and its after-effects.[/QUOTE

I agree that his reference to earlier works was a bit annoying. Nevertheless, the discussion about the new CPI calculations (removing energy and food) was enlightening. Also, as I read about the effects of financial markets I kept hearing the phrase "Ponzi scheme." That financial services has surpassed industrial production as the largest sector in the US economy gives me pause.

Frozen Sooner
6/25/2008, 05:33 PM
So far as I'm aware, CPI has been calculated without energy costs for quite a while due to the stochastic nature of energy costs.

r5TPsooner
7/1/2008, 11:34 AM
The Last Patriot: A Thriller by Brad Thor.

I HIGHLY recommend this book, it's as good as it gets and the author has nuts the size of watermelons for having the guts to write it.

SoonerInKCMO
7/1/2008, 12:25 PM
So far as I'm aware, CPI has been calculated without energy costs for quite a while due to the stochastic nature of energy costs.

Or, if you're more cynical about government, it was done to keep the official CPI numbers down so that government COLAs were kept down.

Bone
7/1/2008, 12:27 PM
Or, if you're more cynical about government, it was done to keep the official CPI numbers down so that government COLAs were kept down.

That would be my thought.

SoonerInKCMO
7/1/2008, 12:34 PM
Last night I finished "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon. It's set in the near future (2030s or so) and is about a 30-something autistic man that's confronted with the possibility of undergoing an experimental treatment to 'cure' him. He's a highly functioning autist that has a full life (computer related job with other autists, lives on his own, and fences with a group of 'normals') and is quite skeptical of the treatment. Some of the drama in the story comes from the fact that his employer (a big-pharma) has taken over the testing of this treatment and is pressuring he and his co-workers to take the treatment. I really got involved in the story and interested in the fate of the main character. I highly recommend the book.

yermom
7/1/2008, 12:52 PM
The Last Patriot: A Thriller by Brad Thor.

I HIGHLY recommend this book, it's as good as it gets and the author has nuts the size of watermelons for having the guts to write it.

sounds like some Islamic Da Vinci Code...

Tailwind
7/1/2008, 12:55 PM
Just finished Steven King's Duma Key. I liked it.

Howzit
7/1/2008, 01:00 PM
Rainbow's End - Vernor Vinge

crawfish, you'd like this if you haven't read it. Because it's by Vernor Vinge, and because...well...it's about a rainbow's end.

yermom
7/1/2008, 01:01 PM
oh, and i'm still reading Malcolm Gladwell's Blink

as well as Sklanky's The Theory of Poker and some history of Pi book, i really should read more, i've been reading these off and on for over a year on some and multiple years on others :O

birddog
7/1/2008, 01:03 PM
Just finished Steven King's Duma Key. I liked it.

is that his new one? never heard of it.

shaun4411
7/1/2008, 01:35 PM
if you like doomsday stuff, i reccomend whitley strieber's Nature's End

well, it isnt exactly doomsday stuff, but it is something some people believe is our future. its set maybe 20-30 years from now. in this future, the smog in cities like los angeles, phoenix, denver etc is so bad, that it is unhealthy, and even deadly to go outside. the rich live in hills, up above the smog, in the outskirts of the cities. transatlantic flight is just a couple hour ordeal. there are pills for every which mood. the world population is growing to the point where it is nearly uncontrollable. the gap between the rich and poor is 10x worse than it is now. there is a political gap as well. there is a new party, the depopulationists who want a worldwide draft that which everyone in the world takes a pill. 1/3 of these pills are fatal, thus ridding us of the rising population crisis.

the book was written like 20 years ago, but its kind of cool if youre into science and technology, or if youre a good old fashioned tree huggin liberal.

OU4LIFE
7/1/2008, 01:45 PM
is that his new one? never heard of it.

yup

Pricetag
7/1/2008, 02:56 PM
I'm rereading Timothy Zahn's Star Wars trilogy. I read them back when they first came out in the early '90s, and then continued on with the works of other authors. I preferred Kevin J. Anderson's work to Zahn's, but people still talk about Zahn mainly when they talk about the novels, and I wanted to see if I was wrong.

okieslp
7/1/2008, 03:14 PM
Last night I finished "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon. It's set in the near future (2030s or so) and is about a 30-something autistic man that's confronted with the possibility of undergoing an experimental treatment to 'cure' him. He's a highly functioning autist that has a full life (computer related job with other autists, lives on his own, and fences with a group of 'normals') and is quite skeptical of the treatment. Some of the drama in the story comes from the fact that his employer (a big-pharma) has taken over the testing of this treatment and is pressuring he and his co-workers to take the treatment. I really got involved in the story and interested in the fate of the main character. I highly recommend the book.

I'm glad to hear that it is good. I thought about it, but bought another. I will definitely add to my list.

Right now:
Clemente by David Maraniss
the Wisdom of Forgiveness by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Victor Chan
First Meetings by Orson Scott Card
and The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

I usually read about 25-30 pages from 2 books daily and switch books every other day. Helps me get through a lot, but I don't know if comprehension is all that great.

Oh well :D

Rogue
7/1/2008, 04:10 PM
The Cheese Monkeys. Another Mrs. Rogue recommend. So far, so good.