PDA

View Full Version : Tough schedule for texas

AZSOONER
6/24/2008, 09:41 AM
Read this while browsing ESPN.

Texas' streak of seven straight seasons with at least 10 wins will end.
The Longhorns don't lack talent, but they drew a killer Big 12 schedule: three 2007 bowl teams from the North division (Colorado, Missouri and Kansas), and they'll play two of those teams on the road. And in addition to facing Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, they must face trendy breakout pick Texas Tech in Lubbock. Burnt orange fans are encouraged to beat the rush and start criticizing offensive coordinator Greg Davis now.

Sooner_09
6/24/2008, 09:43 AM
HAHA whats the link?

JohnnyMack
6/24/2008, 09:58 AM
I think a 8 - 4 season is possible. They have a great O line, a good QB and a talented TB in McGee. They don't have much behind him though. They also have no depth at TE and very little at WR. McCoy and the O line will have to carry the load early.

August 30 Florida Atlantic
September 6 at UTEP
September 13 Arkansas
September 20 Rice
October 4 at Colorado
October 11 at Oklahoma
October 18 Missouri
October 25 Oklahoma State
November 1 at Texas Tech
November 8 Baylor
November 15 at Kansas
November 27 Texas A&M

I think 9 - 3 is more likely, but since this is the year everyone is dogging them, they'll probably end up in the Orange Bowl.

Sooner_09
6/24/2008, 10:05 AM
Don't forget they're defense will be much improved with the addition of Muschamp!:pop:

Salt City Sooner
6/24/2008, 10:50 AM
HAHA whats the link?
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3456879&sportCat=ncf&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

badger
6/24/2008, 10:55 AM
Guaranteed wins in bold:

September 6 at UTEP
September 13 Arkansas
September 20 Rice
October 4 at Colorado
October 11 at Oklahoma
October 18 Missouri
November 1 at Texas Tech
November 8 Baylor
November 15 at Kansas
November 27 Texas A&M

Five guaranteed wins. Now, SHOULD BE wins in bold, guantees in bold italics:

September 6 at UTEP
September 13 Arkansas
September 20 Rice
October 4 at Colorado
October 11 at Oklahoma
October 18 Missouri
November 1 at Texas Tech
November 8 Baylor
November 15 at Kansas
November 27 Texas A&M

That gives them eight. And now, for the prediction of wins, with should be's in italics,guantees underlined, wins predictions in bold:

September 6 at UTEP
September 13 Arkansas
September 20 Rice
October 4 at Colorado
October 11 at Oklahoma
October 18 Missouri
November 1 at Texas Tech
November 8 Baylor
November 15 at Kansas
November 27 Texas A&M

Another 10-win season. Only losses to us and T-Tech, my "predictions" for BCS bowl berths. Woot.

MojoRisen
6/24/2008, 10:59 AM
That is a killer schedule, we will see how they play on the road. Also Kansas I think people are under rating.

badger
6/24/2008, 11:08 AM
Kansas lost a lot of key players. Oh, and the Orange Bowl. Remember us going from 2004 to 2005? KILLER to lose starters like that. KU will not drop out completely, but they won't be BCS bowlers again.

After Texas likely beats them, cue the Mark Mangino fine-inducing speech, the greatest song in the world:

Mangino: You know what this is all about, don't you? That's right, BCS. That's what made a difference during in the game. That's what made a difference in the calls from their bench. Dollar signs... and I'm not going to be pushed around and not let this university get pushed around because we're not the big spenders and we're not the big BCS in this league.

That was not the greatest song in the world. No, that was just a tribute :D

47straight
6/24/2008, 11:21 AM
I see 3 losses, at most, in that schedule. With another trip to the Holiday Bowl, a 4th loss at that point would be 50-50. So I'd put them at 3-1 odds to not have a 10 win season.

Sooner_09
6/24/2008, 12:26 PM
Missouri will beat them like kstate did last year

JLEW1818
6/24/2008, 01:01 PM
I think Texas goes to the holiday bowl at best this year.

Collier11
6/24/2008, 01:03 PM
That is their best, why else would they go there every year?

Flagstaffsooner
6/24/2008, 03:01 PM
6-6 Meltdown

Sooner_09
6/24/2008, 04:07 PM
Now that would be funny

Jacie
6/27/2008, 06:39 AM
I predict this every year and cite which games they'll lose but the darn whorns have a habit of proving me wrong on this one. Last year they were so close to losing several times that they hung on to win. In three games teams that should be fodder were doing an onside kick to get that final possession. No matter how incompetent their offensive coordinator seems to get against the Sooners, the volume of talent manages to bail him out 10 times a year.

soonerfan28
6/27/2008, 11:35 AM
They'll beat Mizzou, but lose to us, Tech, and Kansas.

Soonermagik
6/27/2008, 12:40 PM
I bet they drop 2 games. They will find a way to win a couple of tough games, but lose to us and Kansas.

Sooner_09
6/27/2008, 12:46 PM
Kansas eh?

MITSooner
6/27/2008, 02:30 PM
I know we love to hate Texas, but let's be realistic. They'll get their 10 wins.

colleyvillesooner
6/27/2008, 02:37 PM
Kansas lost a lot of key players. Oh, and the Orange Bowl. Remember us going from 2004 to 2005? KILLER to lose starters like that. KU will not drop out completely, but they won't be BCS bowlers again.

After Texas likely beats them, cue the Mark Mangino fine-inducing speech, the greatest song in the world:

Mangino: You know what this is all about, don't you? That's right, BCS. That's what made a difference during in the game. That's what made a difference in the calls from their bench. Dollar signs... and I'm not going to be pushed around and not let this university get pushed around because we're not the big spenders and we're not the big BCS in this league.

That was not the greatest song in the world. No, that was just a tribute :D

D Spek! :D

Soonermagik
6/27/2008, 03:12 PM
Kansas eh?

Mangino even gave the Vince young team trouble. People underestimate Kansas, but they are better than people think.

Collier11
6/27/2008, 03:16 PM
completely different teams, that doesnt even make sense

Mad Dog Madsen
6/27/2008, 03:36 PM
ouch...

Soonermagik
6/27/2008, 03:41 PM
completely different teams, that doesnt even make sense

Sure, but same coaches.

I think the only reason Mack Brown won that year was due to Vince Young's awesome ability. I'll be honest and say Brown is a good coach, but he is not great.

Mangino on the other hand is great. You have to know how hard it is to go to a basketball school and take them to the Orange Bowl after a few years. The only reason he isn't getting big time offers is due to his weight IMHO.

colleyvillesooner
6/27/2008, 04:18 PM
Sure, but same coaches.

I think the only reason Mack Brown won that year was due to Vince Young's awesome ability. I'll be honest and say Brown is a good coach, but he is not great.

Mangino on the other hand is great. You have to know how hard it is to go to a basketball school and take them to the Orange Bowl after a few years. The only reason he isn't getting big time offers is due to his weight IMHO.

They made it to the Orange Bowl by having the easiest schedule in history (no OU, no TEX) and they lost the only tough game they played. (Mizzou)

His weight? Are you serious?

soonerfan28
6/27/2008, 04:35 PM
I agree that he might get more looks at better schools if it wasn't for his weight. The guy is due for a heart attack in the near future and what school wants to take a risk on that .

Collier11
6/27/2008, 07:13 PM
I agree that he might get more looks at better schools if it wasn't for his weight. The guy is due for a heart attck in the near future and what school wants to take a risk on that .

sad but true!

goingoneight
6/27/2008, 07:34 PM
Let's see how the Hook'ems fare at Colorado theweek before the RRS. :mad:

Jdog
6/27/2008, 09:02 PM
Texas will go 9 and 3. yes thats what I believe - but they could be 2 and 10. or maybe 5 and 7?

Folks it's 2 months before the season = we were ranked 19th going into 2000. that year we all thought that October was going to be ugly. Don't jinx the year.

stoopified
6/28/2008, 08:24 AM
I know we love to hate Texas, but let's be realistic. They'll get their 10 wins.Don't see it,they are due a down year.Factor in the schedule and talent losses I think this IS theyear.If Bob can have a down year(2005),there is absolutely no way Mack can avoid it.

Many fans are forgetting how BAD UT was last year and how much worse it would have been if not for Jamal Charles' 4th quarter heroics.Charles is gone now as are several other top players.