PDA

View Full Version : What the hell, Firefox?

GottaHavePride
6/23/2008, 08:35 PM
Firefox has started refreshing pages randomly. Like, everytime I hit the "back" button, it goes back to the previous page and then refreshes the page. And if I have multiple tabs open, when I switch tabs it stops and refreshes the tab I just switched to.

And some other times if I open a link in a new tab, the new tab will not load until I switch to a different tab. It will load in the background, and then refresh when I switch to it.

It's becoming annoying.

Whet
6/23/2008, 09:28 PM
are you using 3.0?

GottaHavePride
6/23/2008, 09:30 PM

Is 3 better? I usually hesitate switching to a program while it's still in beta-testing.

Whet
6/23/2008, 09:35 PM
I still haven't decided if I like it or not..... the bookmarking method is a little different.... And they have those "vista-like" icons.

Whet
6/23/2008, 09:36 PM
And, a lot of the add-ons don't work with 3.0

GottaHavePride
6/23/2008, 09:41 PM
After reading about it, I'm'a give 3.0 a try.

GottaHavePride
6/23/2008, 09:42 PM
I don't use that many add-ons anyway. Mostly just cookieculler. And adblock. And forecastfox.

yermom
6/23/2008, 09:46 PM
3.0 isn't beta anymore

it still does this thing that kills me with flash videos though, and memory leaks

i'm starting to flirt with the idea of using Opera

of course, this only applies to my PC, my Macs don't have this problem. it really seems like they develop on a Mac and then port to Windows and Linux, because the performance succs on those platforms

GottaHavePride
6/23/2008, 09:51 PM
YEah, 3.0 is still doing the weird refresh business. I notice it when I click "back" to return to, for instance, the South Oval. It refreshes the page so the thread I just read is no longer highlighted as unread. But it bothers me.

yermom
6/23/2008, 09:54 PM
sometimes the reinstall/upgrade doesn't change much. Firefox actually gets in there pretty deep. i've had to hack through the registry to get it all the way out and not use the old settings/corruption that i was trying to get rid by upgrading/reinstalling in the first place.

just deleting directories wasn't enough. i think some people from Norton/Symantec either gave them tips or straight wrote code for them ;)

OKC Sooner
6/23/2008, 10:05 PM
Norton is the Devil. When a computer network seizes control of all the weapons someday, a la Terminator, I'm betting the software will be a direct descendant of some Symantec code. Either that or Google will become self-aware.

GottaHavePride
6/23/2008, 10:25 PM
Downloaded Opera. Trying it now.

Liking it so far. Moves a LOT faster than Firefox was. Mouseover text appears in the bar at the bottom of the window, not as a popup. Wacky.

Little weather widget thing is pretty awesome.

GottaHavePride
6/25/2008, 10:22 PM
Opera = win.

yermom
6/25/2008, 10:33 PM
i think the #1 reason i use Firefox is the ability to set the homepage to a bunch of tabs, if i could do that, i'd be much more likely to switch to Opera or Safari

GottaHavePride
6/25/2008, 10:34 PM
I'm digging Opera's speed-dial function.

Williesan
6/25/2008, 11:05 PM
I'm on Firefox 3.0 and I've had some issues with it not terminating the application when I close out of Firefox. It just stays there in the applications list when I pull up task manager. Worse yet - I only figure this out when I re-open FF and I don't get any bookmarks.

I'm waiting on an update to see if the problem gets fixed. I'll try Opera before I go back to IE7 tho.

Williesan

mdklatt
6/25/2008, 11:09 PM
3.0 isn't beta anymore

Sure it is. It's only been out for a week. ;)

yermom
6/26/2008, 01:49 AM
I'm on Firefox 3.0 and I've had some issues with it not terminating the application when I close out of Firefox. It just stays there in the applications list when I pull up task manager. Worse yet - I only figure this out when I re-open FF and I don't get any bookmarks.

I'm waiting on an update to see if the problem gets fixed. I'll try Opera before I go back to IE7 tho.

Williesan

i often just kill the process

when it gets to ~200MB in memory bad **** seems to happen. if i just close the window, it will just it there slowing letting go of all the RAM it's using, evenually it will close

i used to have a very similar issue with Netscape Navigator 4.x back in the day

skycat
6/26/2008, 08:42 AM
Firefox 3 actually has color management support!! Excellent news since I'm now using a wide gamut monitor.

Yeah, I'm :cool:.

r5TPsooner
6/26/2008, 10:31 AM
I just downloaded FF3 and I swear that there are only 3-4 themes that work with it and only a few extensions too.

skycat
6/26/2008, 10:35 AM
Most of my extensions work. I did have to switch to a new mouse gestures extension (which happens to be better than the one I had), but some of my photo-centric extensions have yet to be updated. And that sucks.

Overall, I find it to be much faster than FF 2, and so far I think it's a lot less susceptible to memory leaks.

Color management alone makes it well worth the upgrade for me, but even without that, I still think it's worth it.