PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Yardbird 101

KC//CRIMSON
6/22/2008, 02:11 PM
Today we're doing a test run to see which bird/birds gets the okay for the Fourth of July Cookout.

Rogue
6/22/2008, 02:34 PM
I made a brisket marinade yesterday. I'll try to remember all of the ingredients:

Chili Sauce
Coca Cola
Grape Jelly
Honey
Liquid Smoke
Garlic
Garlic Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Malt Vinegar
Dried Onion Flakes
Black Pepper
A goodly dollop of chinese hot sauce (the kind with red pepper flakes in it)
Dab of peanut oil

I then added it to my ongoing jar of marinade which changes all the time, so there's probably some cajun spice mix in it too.

OMG it was good.

GottaHavePride
6/22/2008, 03:16 PM
Personally, I think straight up tandoori chicken would be awesome on the 4th of July.

KC//CRIMSON
6/22/2008, 03:51 PM
Personally, I think straight up tandoori chicken would be awesome on the 4th of July.

I would agree with you if I had a Tandoori oven and could make authentic Marsala sauce to go with it.

King Crimson
6/22/2008, 05:27 PM
http://www.concordmusicgroup.com/artists/images/Charlie_Parker.jpg

King Crimson
6/22/2008, 05:28 PM
I would agree with you if I had a Tandoori oven and could make authentic Marsala sauce to go with it.

Masala? all you really need with tandoori chicken is yogurt sauce.

BudSooner
6/22/2008, 05:34 PM
y'all had me until ya said liquid smoke. nasty. never ever will use it again.

I get the smoke taste the old fashioned way...by smoking and using the apple cider approach to keep the meat moist.
Liquid smoke on meat is like pouring a can of Wolf brand chili on a $50 porterhouse steak. f'n hillbillies. ;)

Newbomb Turk
6/22/2008, 06:11 PM
I agree with Bud.

Some of the best chicken I have made is to smoke bone-in breasts for 2 or 3 hours. Then put them in a tin roasting pan - squeeze fresh lime juice over them. cover tightly with tin foil and put back on the smoker for a few more hours. This steams them and they are incredibly tender, but have real nice smoke flavor.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/22/2008, 06:18 PM
http://pics.livejournal.com/leaalissa/pic/00006hsx/s320x240

There's a fast food chain on the West Coast, El Pollo Loco, that sells grilled chicken that's been marinated in a citrus base. I've read many copy cat recipes, but they're all over the place on ingredients. The chicken has a nice, appealing flavor and crisp skin - perfect with some pico de gallo and corn tortillas. They grill the marinated chickens whole and butterflied like this:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/175/473546746_1aba46e2e6_o.jpg

I suspect a combination of lemon, lime, and orange juices - but not sure.

King Crimson
6/22/2008, 06:28 PM
that's the stuff. it's real hard to beat chicken marinated in a ziplock bag overnight with equal parts real squeezed lemon juice, olive oil and rosemary and garlic and an insidious amount of freshly crushed black pepper. the more the better.

great for the grill.

r5TPsooner
6/22/2008, 07:01 PM
Damn I'm getting hungary.

KC//CRIMSON
6/22/2008, 10:28 PM
Well, it was a tie between the Jamaican Jerk and the Tikka BBQ with a slight edge to the Jamaican Jerk.

The Jamaican Jerk had more flavor up front and just enough heat without being overbearing.

There's something to be said for marinating with yogurt. All the chicken was cooked/grilled at the same time and the Tikka BBQ was way more tender than the others. The spice was a lot more mild than I thought it was going to be. Really subtle flavor, but still really good.

And as expected, the Applewood Smoke Rub never had a chance. Not that the flavor wasn't there, but IMO it's never a good idea to grill a skinless chicken breast on the grill. Just not enough fat there to make it worth the while. Unfortunately, that's all I had left to use. Next time for a real test it's thighs with skin only.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/22/2008, 10:54 PM
. Next time for a real test it's thighs with skin only.

you are correct. that's the way to go. skinless, boneless thighs don't dry out like breasts do, but skin on is too much fat for thighs.

It's also a good choice when grilling chicken for taco meat.

olevetonahill
6/23/2008, 05:30 AM
4Th of Dayum July
Hell Folks Its Fried chicken, Tater salad,and any Kinda Greens ya want to eat with it . Oh and Corn On the Cob !;)
Thats American !:D

AlbqSooner
6/23/2008, 06:22 AM
that's the stuff. it's real hard to beat chicken marinated in a ziplock bag overnight with equal parts real squeezed lemon juice, olive oil and rosemary and garlic and an insidious amount of freshly crushed black pepper. the more the better.

great for the grill.

Marinating in plastic, whether zip lock bag or plastic bowl is a BAD idea. Likewise with metal, whether foil or metal pan. The marinade will leach some of the plastic or metal. ALWAYS use glass bowl or pan to marinate.

olevetonahill
6/23/2008, 06:28 AM
Marinating in plastic, whether zip lock bag or plastic bowl is a BAD idea. Likewise with metal, whether foil or metal pan. The marinade will leach some of the plastic or metal. ALWAYS use glass bowl or pan to marinate.

What Im sayin
Fry that bitch up in Bacon grease !:D

SanJoaquinSooner
6/23/2008, 09:11 AM
I fear my homegrown tomatoes will not be ripe by the 4th.

soonerinabilene
6/23/2008, 09:46 AM
Use the jerk rub on quail instead of chicken.

We are going with a variety of stuff for the 4th. Ive got a venison tenderloin, 4 racks of spare ribs, a brisket, and about 100 chicken wings. One smoker is gonna be going with mesquite for the deer, ribs, and wings. The other will be burning pecan for the brisket.

And no 4th is complete without the little red grill cooking ball park franks.