PDA

View Full Version : How can OU/tx stay at the Cotton Bowl?

KingBarry
6/22/2008, 03:53 AM
Klein makes a pretty convincing case that Jerry World is the shiznit and its hard to find a good reason why we should stay at the fairgrounds. More money, a recruiting bonanza, we can preserve most traditions in a far better facility.

I am a little disappointed we are locked in until 2015.

Does anybody think the new lipstick on the CB is going to do the trick?

New stadium sure to tempt rivalry game
by: JOHN KLEIN Senior Sports Columnist
6/22/2008 12:00 AM

The Oklahoma-Texas game remains at the Cotton Bowl, but everyone from the NFL to colleges and bowl games are lining up to play at the new Dallas Cowboys Stadium.

The Sooners and Longhorns have agreed to keep their annual October game at the Cotton Bowl through 2015, but one has to wonder if the lure to play in what some are calling "the greatest stadium in the world" will take OU and Texas west to Arlington.

The only stumbling block to a move would appear to be the historic significance of playing the game during the State Fair of Texas. Corny dogs and cotton candy are among the cornerstones of the Red River Rivalry.

"I think the OU-Texas game is a different deal than us," said Cotton Bowl executive director Rick Baker, who is preparing to move his game from the namesake Cotton Bowl Stadium to Dallas Cowboys Stadium in 2010. "We've said that the move for us was an easy choice but a hard decision.

"It was a hard decision because of the emotion involved. There's so much emotion involved with the OU-Texas game."

Yet, the lure of what is being built between Dallas and Fort Worth has to be tempting to the Sooners and Longhorns, no matter how much you love midway games and rides.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is making sure nothing is being overlooked in the construction of what will be the most elaborate athletic facility on Earth.

Costs of the stadium have soared to about $1.2 billion. Architects said capacity will be up to about 100,000, although the actual number of seats promised to the NFL for the 2011 Super Bowl is 93,000. There will be 304 luxury suites and 15,000 club level seats.

Jones has had no lack of interest in what has been labeled "The Taj Mahal" of stadiums.

Arkansas and Texas A&M announced earlier this year that they have signed a 10-year contract to play a game every October in the stadium. The contract has four five-year options, which means it is likely a 30-year deal.

Oklahoma State and Texas Tech are close to announcing a deal that would move their annual Big 12 Conference game to the stadium.

Notre Dame and Arizona State have a signed deal to play at the stadium in 2013.

The Cotton Bowl's deal in Arlington is for 10 years with 25 years in options. Many believe the deal will eventually help the Cotton Bowl put itself back in the BCS picture alongside the Orange, Sugar, Fiesta and Rose Bowls.

The Super Bowl has already signed up for a game in Arlington, too.

And, of course, the Dallas Cowboys, one of the most valuable pro sports franchises in the world, will call the stadium home.

If the decision about OU-Texas was only about money, then the series could easily become a home-and-home. It would allow all season ticket holders, instead of only half, to see the game at least every other year.

Yet, if it were about nothing more than history and tradition, then the Cotton Bowl should continue to be the home.

But if you put money, history, tradition and modern convenience together, then it would appear the Dallas Cowboys Stadium would be a perfect home.

Yes, you would lose the location at Fair Park. However, it wouldn't take much to move a few rides, games and your favorite corn dog stand to the convenient parking lots surrounding the new stadium.

And, by keeping the game in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, it would continue the tradition of playing the game halfway between Norman and Austin, a tradition since 1929.

The new stadium will be larger than either the Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium in Norman or the Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin (both about 85,000).

So, a move to the new stadium would keep alive the tradition of a trip to Dallas on the first Saturday in October.

However, a move to Arlington would allow the game to be played in a state-of-the-art facility in a historic location with as many traditions (the stadium split right down the middle for fans) maintained as possible.

It should be, and is, a very tempting option for OU and Texas.

The Cotton Bowl is hopeful that its move, as painful as it was for many of its board members, will be a huge boost.

"Again, OU-Texas is different because they own that game," said Baker. "We, on the other hand, are in a very competitive business. There is only one OU-Texas. There are a lot of bowls, and we have to compete for teams, fans, television, everything. So, we have to do what helps give us the best competitive advantage.

"A lot of our decision was based on the stadium and weather. The OU-Texas game is played in early October. They very seldom have any weather issues. That's not true for our game on Jan. 1."

Actually, very few Cotton Bowls have been hampered by weather.

"However, some of the classics in our game have been played in awful weather," said Baker. "So, as a result, there is a perception out there that we have terrible weather."

So, playing in a retractable roof stadium takes weather out of the equation.

No weather concerns, coupled with 100,000 tickets for a game that has an excellent reputation in college football, may land the Cotton Bowl back in the BCS mix.

Leaving the Cotton Bowl, regardless of how much money is thrown at the stadium, will still come down to emotions.

Moving to Arlington would seem to be an easy choice, just as Baker said.

However, that doesn't make the decision any easier.

sooner n houston
6/22/2008, 09:19 AM
Ain't. Gonna. Happen!

Big Red Ron
6/22/2008, 09:28 AM
Screw Jerry!

Until they move the fair over there, it ain't gonna happen. We don't need the coolest, latest, most up to date stadium to have great tradition.

yermom
6/22/2008, 11:00 AM
not that i agree with it, but it's only a matter of time

i just don't see the game staying if the bowl game moves, there's a lot less reason to keep upgrading that place for one game, maybe i'm wrong though

who knows how many more Oklahoma visitors the State Fair gets for having the game there

SoonerShark
6/22/2008, 12:02 PM
Just as sitting in the new upper deck in Norman puts you about as near to the game as sitting in Shawnee, the new Cowboy Dome keeps fans too far from the game. Sitting in the Cotton Bowl for 3-1/2 hours per season is not asking too much of fans who recognize that tradition means more than drinking $10.00 beers in sky suites and watching the game on flat panel TVs since you cannot see the crimson and burnt orange ants on the field below with much clarity. In Dallas, even the upper deck, other than the aluminum add-ons at the Cotton Bowl, give a pretty good feel to the game.

Breadburner
6/22/2008, 01:10 PM
Klein is a fatass that only is interested in filling his gut and personal comfort.....And Jerry Botox's stadium will provide that for Klein....

badger
6/22/2008, 01:15 PM
Reserve judgment on both Jerryworld and the newly improved Cotton Bowl until we've seen both in action. Right now, it's all speculation on how the new seats and improvements in the Cotton Bowl will be and how awesomely huge Jerryworld is. Nobody knows until it opens for its first event.

If we could come to an agreement to give half our seats to Texas when they come up here and they agree to give half their seats to us, we would already be home and home. Alas, we all know what Whorns would do if they set foot on campus, and the Sooner who steals the most u-tex crap wins a million points when we set foot in Austin. Thus, home-and-home would never work and we wouldn't want it to work. E.Z. Million, you are free to chime in on this debate when you have a feasible solution to that problem.

We have a venue that we are familiar with right now, so I'm not bothered by a longterm (if 2015 is "longterm") deal to stay there for a few years. There is absolutely no reason to jump on the Jerryworld bandwagon yet. I mean, they gave the Brewers the All Star Game after we got our new fangled Miller Park in Milwaukee. It had all the latest gizmos in new stadium technology. Unfortunately, the first base line never gets sun, so the grass there died. The roof leaks, so you might become a puddle by the end of the first inning. There was also that time the roof didn't close and cost $13 mil to repair. The club promised to become more competitive dollar-wise if taxpayers funded it, but they sought to cut payroll after a few years. It seats more than County Stadium ever did, but County Stadium's construction didn't kill anyone, either, nor did it provide "Uecker Seats" where you either couldn't see first base or third base. Oh, and the Brewers, aside from our Prince, are still not the awesome ballclub a new stadium would suggest.

New stadiums sound fun, but DO NOT TRUST THEM UNTIL YOU SEE THEM.

Then again, the Brewers might just be cursed for the following reasons:

1- Bud Selig, our evil owner, is the devil incarnate.
2- George W. Bush threw out the first pitch in the d@mned stadium.
3- Bernie Brewer no longer slides into beer after home runs.

SeattleOUstudent
6/22/2008, 01:34 PM
Im pro jerry-world. Call me crazy. I want to see OU/TX in the biggest and best venue around. If the State Fair aint gonna do it, Ill drive my *** 15 miles west to see it :)

Dont really care about the pomp and circumstance of the state fair. All I really do is get there in time for a corney dog, watch the game, and head out the door to a good restaurant somewhere in Dallas.

SeattleOUstudent
6/22/2008, 01:41 PM
They will need to bring in the announcer to mis-pronounce "Chick-fil-a", though or it wont be the same :)

tulsaoilerfan
6/22/2008, 02:23 PM
Have they done any renovations to the Cotton Bowl yet? I haven't kept up with what is going on there at the dump.

Rhino
6/22/2008, 02:30 PM
Anyone that thinks moving it to Jerryworld is a good thing has never been to an OU/Texas game.

okieslp
6/22/2008, 02:45 PM
I gotta go with Ron, Shark, Breadburner and Rhino. Nothing will compare to the fair, the food, the beer, the stadium filled half crimson, half burnt-orange. The whole atmosphere loses something when you try to up the image with bells and whistles. It's like seeing a remake of a classic that's been slicked up, people who've never seen it think its the greatest. But, those of us used to the classic think it pales in comparison. I think Jerry's got enough of every dang thing, no reason to line his pockets more!

Jay C. Upchurch
6/22/2008, 02:47 PM
There will always be two sides to the arguement...

one side with the folks who love the atmosphere and tradition that goes with the Cotton Bowl and State Fair Park, and the second with the folks who aren't interested in such things (at least not to the point where it sways their opinion).

The OU-Texas game will be special no matter where it is played... it's a great rivalry.

I happen to fall on the side of the traditionalists because there is nothing else in college football like the second Saturday every October. It's a unique setting, featuring great emotion, pageantry and two of the best college programs in the country.

Moving it to JerryWorld would, in my opinion, be an enormous mistake. Sure, they can cram more fans into the seats and they can do their best to replicate the atmosphere inside the stadium with the seating and so forth... but lost will be so many sweet little details that make the Red River Rivalry so special -- like the carnival setting, the team bus rides into the park as fans cheer and boo, the historic tunnel, and even seeing the players walking around the fair after the game (just to name a few).

I've seen a lot of college football games in a variety of venues over the years, including monster-sized stadiums like the proposed JerryWorld. But there is no game I look forward to seeing more every year than OU-Texas. And a lot of that anticipation has to do with the fair and the overall pregame and game setting.

Too many great sports traditions fade away every year.

I say keep the OU-Texas tradition in the Cotton Bowl, along with the game.

badger
6/22/2008, 03:24 PM
Another thing to consider with JerryWorld is how tix would be dispersed. Remember that Saints fans had first crack at Sugar Bowl tickets when we played LSU in 2004 (yes, the game was in 2004, check the calendar). If Cowboys fans had first crack at OU-Texas tickets, rather an a 50-yard-line split, what good does that do Oklahoma or Texas fans if there's a ton of seats if the seats don't go to us?

And don't say "nobody besides Oklahoma and Texas fans among Cowboy season ticket holders will care about the game, hee haw" because we all know what those tix go for on eBay, StubHub and other sites. We already have to play the OU-Texas game in the state of texas, not Oklahoma. They already get all the economic benefits that our state doesn't in this game. Something tells me that if tickets were dispersed to secondary markets and Cowboys seasons tix holders, Oklahoma would get the VERY short end of the stick once again :mad:

bonkuba
6/22/2008, 06:15 PM
I have been to every OU/TX game since 1999 and although I believe in tradition I can't stand the cotton bowl.....the fair is just....well the fair. I get there before the game and tailgate......go in right before the game (to avoid the fair) then leave directly after (after heading back to the RV to eat and watch the idiots try to leave)......well also have to mess with a few texas fans....:D

I will keep going no matter what....its just a shame that we have to play in that piece of crap.....no matter the atmosophere. But then again.....Jerry is possibly the worst person on earth IMHO to football and I do agree with the folks on here that say it will be BAD overall.

So, anyway I guess my post means nothing............carry on:D

tulsaoilerfan
6/22/2008, 06:35 PM
The game isn't even on the second Saturday of October all the time anymore; last year it was on Oct 6, so that's one tradition regarding the game that has changed.

XingTheRubicon
6/22/2008, 07:13 PM
Anyone that thinks moving it to Jerryworld is a good thing has never been to an OU/Texas game.

X infinity

BigRedJed
6/22/2008, 08:27 PM
My thoughts exactly, and yet I agree with yermom when he says it is inevitable. For years on this board I have been one of the most strident traditionalists regarding the location of this game, and thinking about it moving from the fairgrounds makes me absolutely sick.

Moving it would be a huge mistake, a massive blow to the tradition and atmosphere surrounding that game, but mark it down: that mistake will be made. Fellas, for the past few years this game slowly but surely has been selling out tradition for cold hard cash, and our own university is one of the leaders in that movement.

Ask yourself this: if 25 years ago someone had suggested that, in the name of (conference-generated) money, we would forgo the tradition of an annual game against the Nebraska Cornhuskers -- and we would forevermore have two year gaps between games and see them on Owen field ONLY every FOUR years -- how would any crimson-blooded fan (or red-blooded Nebraska fan, for that matter) have responded? Exactly.

This decision will ultimately be made by a bunch of guys wielding calculators, not by a bunch of guys eating Fletcher's Corny Dogs.

BigRedJed
6/22/2008, 08:29 PM
And yeah, we'll get screwed on tickets. Cowboys fans will get them first, and Texas fans will outnumber OU fans 3-1. And OU will still make much, much more in revenue on the game, as will Texas.

And there will be riots in the streets of Norman.

yermom
6/22/2008, 08:39 PM
The game isn't even on the second Saturday of October all the time anymore; last year it was on Oct 6, so that's one tradition regarding the game that has changed.

that's not the first time it's happened that way.

if the Cowboys season ticketholders and their big donors get first choice of tickets, that could really suck

it's much better when the students are selling me their 50 yardline seats on eBay

BigRedJed
6/22/2008, 08:50 PM
...if the Cowboys season ticketholders and their big donors get first choice of tickets, that could really suck...
If it moves to Jerryworld, I would all but guarantee that scenario. I'd like to get a look at the Cowboy season ticket holder seat license at the new facility, but it would be SOP for it to work that way. Which means a fan ratio screwjob for OU.

Which is one of the many reasons why I will hope against hope that it never moves.

KingBarry
6/23/2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks guys for making some good arguments on this topic. Before I am crucified, let me state that i have for years been very resistant to any changes in the OU/TX format, but I have recently just become a little jaded about the Cottom Bowl as a venue, and the State Fair as a host site.

First, to the guy who said (I paraphrase) "Jerry Jones is the worst person in history for football"...I say move to Washington, DC where "Lil Napolean" Danny Snyder has made a solidified, all-time claim to football's anti-Christ.

Second, to those of you that love the fair, I guess keeping the game there is a very big deal. I love the fair as a backdrop to the game. It's cool seeing the big ferris wheel behind the stadium shots, catching the neo-classical architecture out of the end zone corner (will that still be visible?), and having lots of fairway pics for the bumpers between game and commercial.

But as far as attending in person, I've just come to see the fair as a big headache. Massive traffic conjestion, third-rate (4th rate) food, alot of hostile natives that can't afford to go to the game but can afford to insulte me 100 times all the way to the stadium. And on and on. i guess if you like state fairs, this is a plus, if you don't like them, it's a minus, and for everybody else its more or less a push.

Third, badger's experience with a stadium in Wisconsin, and please correct me as this is pure speculation, sounds like some municiple skimp job, not a $1.2 billion spare-no-cost taj mahal of football. i don't know. i haven't seen it. But just going by what Klein says, it sounds like JeeryWorld offers a huge opportunity for OU and TX to showcase their programs.

AND, what got my attention, was the fact that AM/Arky and OSU/TECH were already moving games there, and even Notre Dame was coming to town.

Sorry Badj, but ND and AM don't go to your broke down palace in Millewokee (meaning "the good land") and if the JerryWorld roof leaks and it costs $80 million to fix it, it'll get fixed. Doesn't sound like Jerry is screwing around on this.

To Jay C -- he mentions three traditions that would be lost. The fair itself (discussed above), and two more -- the bus rides with cheering/booing, and the historic tunnel walk.

To the last two, I say, "Why can't we have cheering for buses at Jerry?" I'm unconvinced on this point. And as for the tunnel walk, the two teams don't come in together anymore, so little of the tradition is already left. Moreover, they come in draped in black curtains where nobody can see them til they're on the field anyway. And why not some kind of tunnel entrance at Jerry?

Bottom line-- regarding tradition, seems to me, with some creativity most of the important traditions could be transplanted to JerryWorld. Possibly modified, but still continued and maybe in a better way. The great exception is the fair, and the surrounding neighborhood and lack of parking, entertainment venues, etc. After all these years, I'm just no longer thrilled by the State Fair of Texas. if you love this, go to the fair on Sunday. It'll still be there.

Basically two strands of thought are driving my thinking on this. First, I don't care about the fair anymore, and second, with all these recruiting rivals playing at Jerry, I DO NOT WANT Oklahoma to look parochial playing in a run down throw back. In college football, it's all about the kids.

Still and all, business practices could very well render the whole idea impossible. If there's no 50-50 ticket split, it's hard to see this working. On the other hand, I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to me if Jerry wants to broker a 50-50 split, I think there'll be a fiftyfifty.

Does anybody know the arrangements regarding Cowboys fans and the other college games that are going to be out there?

Thanks again for your thoughts.

SeattleOUstudent
6/23/2008, 12:26 AM

Right, right.... Seems like a fairly good argument. Except, you are wrong. Ive been going to games since I was 6. Ive loved OU football since day one...yadda, yadda, yadda. I got my degree at OU, I owned a business creating/selling OU memorabilia. Im what one might call, a "fan".

That being said, I couldnt care less WHERE its played (except home n home). I go for the excitement of kicking my rivals asses. I really only get excited about walking into the stadium right before the game. Once Im in my seat, Im ready for the exciement. I dont get all giddy driving into Fair Park and walking around to get a corney dog. Like what was said before, its a good backdrop, but Im there for the game...I know thats just me, and thats my opinion. As far as the State Fair, I will go about 2 times over the 2 month period. I dunno, I guess I seperate the two. Its just a place I have to deal with in order to see the biggest game of the year. I think most folks my age (mid to late 20s) could care less about where in Dallas the game is.

I get what you guys are saying. I respect your opinions on WHERE we beat Texas. We just differ a little. I prefer to beat them playing in front of 95k (split down the middle) in the best venue available in DFW.

Dont tell me Ive never been to a game. Dont try to tell me Im not a "real" fan. You know thats not true. Thats pretty weak sauce. :texan:

yermom
6/23/2008, 01:08 AM
i think what he means is that either you've never been or you are a dumbass ;)

olevetonahill
6/23/2008, 05:40 AM
i think what he means is that either you've never been or you are a dumbass ;)

:D :D :D :D :D :D
I havnt made a game in 20 years But I want the Next one at the St fair .
Why ? I have No clue, But its always Been cool;)

soonerfan28
6/23/2008, 07:46 AM
Does anybody think that the to schools are considering it to just get the Cotton Bowl to make the proper renovations? I pray it stays there. I love the Cowboys organization, but tradition should prevail.

SeattleOUstudent
6/23/2008, 09:22 AM
Well, as far as predictions, I think its only a matter of time before it moves to Jerryworld. The man wont be stopped by "money" to get the biggest game of they year in Dallas.

soonerfan28
6/23/2008, 09:33 AM
I guess this means that it's all about the money. Isn't that the same reason we don't have a playoff?

soonervegas
6/23/2008, 10:40 AM
Put me in the staying at the State Fair/Cotton Bowl group.....and I think it stay indefinitely. Too many OU and UT fans have strong emotions about the tradition of the game. Every bone in Joe C and Dodds body want to move it to Jerry World or Home and Home.....but that can't pull the trigger because of their consitituents. It it was just OU fans or just Texas fans it would already be somewhere else. Luckily it is both.

C&CDean
6/23/2008, 10:40 AM
My take:

I hate the POS Texas State Fair with a passion. I pretty much hate all fairs/carnivals/etc. I go in and see some of the animals and the tractors on display, go to the game, and get the hell out of there within 15 minutes of the final gun - win, lose, or draw. I hate the fairgrounds, I hate the ghetto is sits in, I hate the traffic getting there, and I especially hate the Cotton Bowl for being a reflection of the ghetto it sits in.

I for one am open to conversation about moving it to Jerryworld. Anytime you remove the carnie atmosphere from the game you're doing a good thing in my mind. Simply put, I won't ever miss the "atmosphere" so many of you drool over (crappy Fletcher's cornydogs and **** warm beer and filthy ****houses with sewage running all over my shoes, nowhere to put my knees, etc.).

Now if anybody starts talking home/home then thems fightin' words. It needs to stay in Dallas, but I'd like to see it rise up out of the ghetto.

badger
6/23/2008, 11:21 AM
The Miller Park experience has taught me to not trust new stadiums until it's open.

You might think it's "spare no expense" and all, but I still do not buy it until I see it in action.

Ok, let's give a real-world example, shall we? The Texas Godzillatron, of course. We saw it constructed. We saw how huge it was. We saw how the intro was gigantic and the fans all cheered.

And then... the ads appeared around the edges and stayed there the rest of the game.

Jerry Jones has gotten rid of legendary coaches like Barry Switzer (whom, btw, I still despite for his Cowboys days vs. the Packers but have gotten to like the Sooner version of Switzer just fine). Jerry Jones is all about the marketing and such, which is why he appeared in that Pepsi ad despite being a rich dude that needs none of Pepsi's money.

Forgive me for not trusting such a strange character as Jerry Jones. Yes, he is all about winning and being tops, but need I remind you that the Cowboys' last title was last decade. He's moved the DALLAS Cowboys out of DALLAS (Arlington, right?) and he is a reactionary type that will act on the tiniest problem that probably would fix itself on its own, hence no longer having Jimmy Johnson or Switzer in town.

We might hate the fair atmosphere, we might think the Cotton Bowl is an aging P.O.S., but at least we know what we're getting, because we've been getting it for more than 100 years. Jerryworld is just artists renderings waiting to have a leaky roof or whatev. Oh, and the Brewers said this was not a design flaw, as it the roof was never intended to be waterproof, according to them :D

New stadiums have problems, history has shown us. New stuff is not always what we expect, history has shown us. Perhaps, at least for the time being, we let our history lessons dictate how we treat our most sacred rivalry.

RedstickSooner
6/23/2008, 12:18 PM
The best argument against Jerry-world are all the other college games being played there.

Our game is special. It has tradition. It's decided the MNC twice in the past ten years. The rate Jerryworld is going, half of college football is gonna hold a game in his stadium. How in the world does that make us special for joining the herd?

I'd rather we played in a sub-standard stadium with decades of tradition than play in a state-of-the-art stadium like every other jackarse out there.

If we wanted more modern, more state-of-the-art, we could've gone to home-and-home. OU-Tejas is about tradition. Hence, we should stay put.

yermom
6/23/2008, 12:27 PM
The Miller Park experience has taught me to not trust new stadiums until it's open.

You might think it's "spare no expense" and all, but I still do not buy it until I see it in action.

Ok, let's give a real-world example, shall we? The Texas Godzillatron, of course. We saw it constructed. We saw how huge it was. We saw how the intro was gigantic and the fans all cheered.

And then... the ads appeared around the edges and stayed there the rest of the game.

Jerry Jones has gotten rid of legendary coaches like Barry Switzer (whom, btw, I still despite for his Cowboys days vs. the Packers but have gotten to like the Sooner version of Switzer just fine). Jerry Jones is all about the marketing and such, which is why he appeared in that Pepsi ad despite being a rich dude that needs none of Pepsi's money.

Forgive me for not trusting such a strange character as Jerry Jones. Yes, he is all about winning and being tops, but need I remind you that the Cowboys' last title was last decade. He's moved the DALLAS Cowboys out of DALLAS (Arlington, right?) and he is a reactionary type that will act on the tiniest problem that probably would fix itself on its own, hence no longer having Jimmy Johnson or Switzer in town.

We might hate the fair atmosphere, we might think the Cotton Bowl is an aging P.O.S., but at least we know what we're getting, because we've been getting it for more than 100 years. Jerryworld is just artists renderings waiting to have a leaky roof or whatev. Oh, and the Brewers said this was not a design flaw, as it the roof was never intended to be waterproof, according to them :D

New stadiums have problems, history has shown us. New stuff is not always what we expect, history has shown us. Perhaps, at least for the time being, we let our history lessons dictate how we treat our most sacred rivalry.

in all fairness, he did try to move them to Dallas. if the city of Dallas wasn't retarded, we wouldn't be having this discussion

oh, and baseball kinda sucks, what do you expect? ;)

the stadium in Glendale is pretty sweet. i've yet to be in a bad NFL stadium

Dio
6/23/2008, 12:34 PM
(Jerrah) moved the DALLAS Cowboys out of DALLAS

I'm with you on keeping OU/tx at the fair, but it was Tex Schramm who moved the Cowboys out of Dallas when they left the Cotton Bowl (ironically) for Texas Stadium in Irving in the early 70's.

And Yermom's right: this whole thread would be moot if Laura Miller didn't suck.

badger
6/23/2008, 12:55 PM
the stadium in Glendale is pretty sweet

KOREKSHUN: The Fiesta Bowl is "ON NOTICE" and therefore, is not "sweet" :D

I think this warrants an updated "ON NOTICE" list, eh?

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/21ea557ddc.jpg (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

cjames317
6/23/2008, 01:55 PM
If it moves to Jerryworld, I would all but guarantee that scenario. I'd like to get a look at the Cowboy season ticket holder seat license at the new facility, but it would be SOP for it to work that way. Which means a fan ratio screwjob for OU.

Which is one of the many reasons why I will hope against hope that it never moves.

The primary reason I put up $100/seat to get on the waiting list for season tickets to Jerryworld (actually I prefer "Death Star") was for the chance that, as a PSL owner, I'd get first crack at annual OU-TX tickets, which was implied early in the stadium process. After receiving a proposed PSL agreement and specifically asking about that possibility with a sales representative, I learned that won't be the case for the majority of PSL owners, because the Dallas Cowboys don't "control" the OU-TX game or any of the other announced college games. However, there will be a select number of "Founder All Access" PSL owners (maybe 200-250, at $100,000-$150,000 per seat) that will receive the "opportunity to purchase seats to all other events."

Rhino
6/23/2008, 02:07 PM
yermom explained basically what I was saying.

That being said, I couldnt care less WHERE its played (except home n home). I go for the excitement of kicking my rivals asses. I really only get excited about walking into the stadium right before the game. Once Im in my seat, Im ready for the exciement. I dont get all giddy driving into Fair Park and walking around to get a corney dog. Like what was said before, its a good backdrop, but Im there for the game...I know thats just me, and thats my opinion. As far as the State Fair, I will go about 2 times over the 2 month period. I dunno, I guess I seperate the two. Its just a place I have to deal with in order to see the biggest game of the year. I think most folks my age (mid to late 20s) could care less about where in Dallas the game is. I'm in my late 20s and I care where the game is. Most folks our age couldn't care less, but most folks our age are also idiots that treat football games like they're a ****ing high school football social event and leave at halftime.

I'm not latched onto the State Fair because its the State Fair. I'm latched onto the State Fair because that's where the game goes down. It's tradition. And I'm not talking about fake Texas A&M traditions. I'm talking 78 years of tradition at the Cotton Bowl.

OU/Texas in the Cotton Bowl is just like OU/Nebraska on Thanksgiving. And just like OU/Nebraska, its inevitable that someone will **** it up. We'll find out how badly in 2016.

I get what you guys are saying. I respect your opinions on WHERE we beat Texas. We just differ a little. I prefer to beat them playing in front of 95k (split down the middle) in the best venue available in DFW. See that's the problem. It won't be 95k split down the middle. It'll be 5k Cowboys fans scattered throughout wearing silver and blue, 10k sponsors lining the 50-yard-line dressed in all sorts of colors, 40k OU fans lining one 40-yard-line & and 40k Texas fans lining the other 40-yard-line. Dr. Pepper commercials with Snoop Dogg will blast into our eardrums every five minutes, much like this year's Big XII CCG and 2004's Sugar Bowl.

It'll still be OU football vs. Texas football, but it won't be OU/Texas.

Right, right.... Seems like a fairly good argument. Except, you are wrong. Ive been going to games since I was 6. Ive loved OU football since day one...yadda, yadda, yadda. I got my degree at OU, I owned a business creating/selling OU memorabilia. Im what one might call, a "fan". Creating/selling/scavenging/whatevs.;)

The best argument against Jerry-world are all the other college games being played there. Exactly. Let's be like Oklahoma State, guys!

bluedogok
6/23/2008, 02:50 PM
To be fair and accurate, Clint Murchison Jr. (owner, Tex Schramm was the General Manager) moved the team out of Dallas to Irving in 1971. As Dio and yermom stated, Jones tried to get the Cotton Bowl renovated or a new one built and move the team back to Dallas. But as we have seen in Seattle, the politicians involved had the albatross of the bond debt for the turd that is the American Airlines Center that made them hesitant to commit to a new football stadium....that and have a mayor like Laura Miller and the seven other mayors of Dallas all wanting something for themselves for it doomed the prospects of the Cowboys returning to Dallas. I also think the multiple mayors of Dallas misjudged how quickly Jones wanted to do something and that Arlington would step up to that level. There were talks of putting the new ballpark in downtown Dallas when I lived there until they decided to stay in Arlington, so Dallas has had these issues for a long time.

It doesn't matter to me where the game is held in the DFW area, I see positives and negatives from both locations. I just think having the game at 11am should be a crime. The tradition at the Cotton Bowl is well documented. You could create a "fair" environment around Jerryworld with Six Flags nearby, would it be exactly the same, no. The schools might be more receptive to having a night game in Jerryworld than they would in the middle of the hood that surrounds the Cotton Bowl.

I just don't want it to go home and home.

silverwheels
6/23/2008, 03:15 PM
Have they done any renovations to the Cotton Bowl yet? I haven't kept up with what is going on there at the dump.

Yes. They removed the chair-backs and put in steel bleachers last Summer. Now they're just sprucing up the place a little and adding upper decks to both endzones to bring capacity up to around 95,000. Makes me really want to go this year.

As for the thing about Cowboys fans getting first dibs on tickets should the game move to Arlington, I'm not sure that's true. At least all of the obnoxious a-holes on OUInsider like to call people dumb for assuming that.

yermom
6/23/2008, 03:20 PM
To be fair and accurate, Clint Murchison Jr. (owner, Tex Schramm was the General Manager) moved the team out of Dallas to Irving in 1971. As Dio and yermom stated, Jones tried to get the Cotton Bowl renovated or a new one built and move the team back to Dallas. But as we have seen in Seattle, the politicians involved had the albatross of the bond debt for the turd that is the American Airlines Center that made them hesitant to commit to a new football stadium....that and have a mayor like Laura Miller and the seven other mayors of Dallas all wanting something for themselves for it doomed the prospects of the Cowboys returning to Dallas. I also think the multiple mayors of Dallas misjudged how quickly Jones wanted to do something and that Arlington would step up to that level. There were talks of putting the new ballpark in downtown Dallas when I lived there until they decided to stay in Arlington, so Dallas has had these issues for a long time.

It doesn't matter to me where the game is held in the DFW area, I see positives and negatives from both locations. I just think having the game at 11am should be a crime. The tradition at the Cotton Bowl is well documented. You could create a "fair" environment around Jerryworld with Six Flags nearby, would it be exactly the same, no. The schools might be more receptive to having a night game in Jerryworld than they would in the middle of the hood that surrounds the Cotton Bowl.

I just don't want it to go home and home.

oh yeah, i don't really want it to go to Jerry World, but i'd HATE it to go home and home

silverwheels
6/23/2008, 03:26 PM
If it does move to Arlington, it could be played at night again. I don't think I've ever seen an OU/Texas in primetime.

Yes, I'm that young.

Big Red Ron
6/23/2008, 03:30 PM
The best argument against Jerry-world are all the other college games being played there.

Our game is special. It has tradition. It's decided the MNC twice in the past ten years. The rate Jerryworld is going, half of college football is gonna hold a game in his stadium. How in the world does that make us special for joining the herd?

I'd rather we played in a sub-standard stadium with decades of tradition than play in a state-of-the-art stadium like every other jackarse out there.

If we wanted more modern, more state-of-the-art, we could've gone to home-and-home. OU-Tejas is about tradition. Hence, we should stay put.
:twinkies:

badger
6/23/2008, 03:49 PM
Yes. They removed the chair-backs and put in steel bleachers last Summer. Now they're just sprucing up the place a little and adding upper decks to both endzones to bring capacity up to around 95,000. Makes me really want to go this year.

Don't you just LUUUUUUV how as people are getting fatter and fatter, they're making seating arrangements at stadiums smaller and smaller for us common folk? Texas is the fattest state in the union, according to some reports. Something tells me seating arrangements are about to get a lot smaller at the Cotton Bowl.

And tell OU Insider that it isn't "dumb" to think that perhaps other stadiums have similar arrangements to that of the Super Dome, the home of both professional and college football games alike, much like Jerryworld will be.

However, "dumb" does come to mind when considering my knowledge of Dallas Cowboys. I have hated the Cowboys since poor late Coach Fritz got knocked out on their cement sidelines. I have hated the Cowboys since we were making "Why does Michael Irvin want to come to Green Bay? Because he heard grass was $10 per jar!" jokes in regard to us replacing our Lambeau turf. I have hated the Cowboys since the awful officiating removed any possibility of us going to Super Bowl XXX. I have hated the Cowboys since all of the game conveniently ended up in Dallas between the Cowboys and Packers.

In short, I have hated the Cowboys since the beginning of time, and it's not that I'm "dumb," it's that I don't care to know the particulars about the Cowboys, except when it comes to Oklahoma football. Therefore, I knew that the Cowboys were in Arlington instead of Dallas, a potential site of OU-Texas, but did not know about their Irving stop, because that's Cowboy history not related to OU.

Oh, and I maintain the position that we wait and see before moving the game. My hated of all things Cowboys has led me to distrust all things Cowboys.

OklahomaRed
6/23/2008, 04:10 PM
Been to 6 straight in the Cotton Bowl. The place sux! Knees up in your chin. Having to stand in line to take a whiz in the basement. Having to park in the "hood" and hope your crap is still there when you get back? Getting stuck in traffic trying to get back to the hotel.

I say play the games home and home and quit letting Dallas keep all our money.

If not, then keep it at the Cotton Bowl just because Jerry Jones is T-Boone on steroids. I think the dudes were separated at birth? Jerry needs to get a new plastic surgeon cause his face job he got looks bad! :D

TheUnnamedSooner
6/23/2008, 04:30 PM
I'm pro jerry world. I've been going since '96 and I'm sure OU would negotiate to get 1/2 the tickets. The fair isn't much fun as I just go in for the game then leave.

Paperclip
6/23/2008, 04:34 PM
I've been to the last 17. If it moved I would be none too sad.

Jacie
6/23/2008, 05:07 PM
I am and always have been about tradition. A few years ago some higher ups decided Oklahoma needed a "traditional" mascot and the horsepigs were born. Now try to imagine that on the scale of OUr biggest game most years and you get the idea of what'll become of it once the higher ups decide that money trumps tradition.

Taxman71
6/23/2008, 05:15 PM
I have made every RRW since 1988 except 1 and would add:

1. The Cotton Bowl ain't pretty or modern and the fair is minimized with 11:00 a.m. kickoffs, but it is tradition, brings back lots of memories and I have absolutely ZERO complaints about the game being held there. If you are worried about concessions, bathrooms, etc., you don't need to go to this game because you aren't having enough fun. The fair is fun, but mainly because it all OU and texas fans running around.

2. I would not mind moving to JerryWorld if tickets were split 50/50....although the only significant advantage it has is the ability to host a night game in a safer environment. It would be cool to drop the wife and kids off at Six Flags, spend the day at the game and meet up afterwards. However, traffic would be an utter disaster before and after the game.

So, basically, anything but a home and home is fine to me.

TMcGee86
6/23/2008, 05:44 PM

I know people love to hate Jerry Jones, but I have to stick up for him here.

First, as has already been pointed out, not only did the Cowboys not reside in Dallas before Jerry bought the team, but he tried his hardest to get them put in Dallas. In fact, one scenario he was pushing called for a complete renovation of Fair Park, and the powers that be, including the retarded Dallas Mayor Madame No, decided that they liked the ghetto just fine and told Jerry to stick it.

Plus, at the end of the day, to put it in OKC terms, all he did was move the stadium from Midwest City to Valley Brook. It's not like he up and moved it to Tulsa. (Though the hills and trees would have approved ;) )

And as far as firing ledgendary coaches, he didn't fire Jimmy Johnson, Jimmy quit. And yes he fired the King, but he really didn't have a choice as the team completely quit on the coach, and there was nothing Jerry could do.

And Jerry's world is far more than just an artist's rendering, it's up and constructed and well on it's way to being completed.

Granted, no one knows if the roof leaks or not, but it's not a full roof anyway, and right now the Cotton Bowl is open air, so that's not really that big of a deal I wouldn't say.

And to those who are worrying about the tunnel tradition being taken away, cosidering the Cowboys Stadium has the players walking directly through the club level to get to the stadium, I would say the tunnel experience would be infinitely better, and no black screens to worry about.

If they can ensure 50/50 ticket sales, and move the fair to around the stadium, (which there are already plans for a carnival atmosphere around the stadium), then I don't see any reason why the move wouldn't be a good thing.

The only thing I would miss would be the tradition of the Cotton Bowl, old stadium and all, and the open air feel of being at the game.

However, I would imagine being able to feel my feet while sitting in my seat, and the luxury of clean working toilets and actually being able to buy a beer in the stadium would make me forget my gripes.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/23/2008, 05:55 PM
In addition to people being fatter, people are also taller than they were when the cotton bowl was built. I have trouble sitting in those chairs b/c my knees are smashed up against the chair in front of me, the bleachers are much more comfortable.

yermom
6/23/2008, 06:10 PM
i'll be glad to be able to stand on the bleachers instead of on the seats :D

KingBarry
6/23/2008, 11:52 PM
So, can we sum up that the idea that Cowboys fans would have priority on tickets to the Red River Shootout, if it ever moved to JerryWorld, is simply a legend that has no basis in fact?

I would appreciate a reference to a published source regarding the accuracy of the statement, if one can be found.

Basically, if a rock band or monster trucks comes to a NFL stadium, do the local football fans get priority seating? Or not?

I just don't see a reason to assume that it's true. While I have heard of such arrangements, it's usually to help event organizers sell tickets. OU-TX would presumably not need such help, so why would we agree it?

I haven't made it to OU-TX in recent seasons, so maybe I've forgotten how beautiful it all is. But in my memory, the whole enterprise starts to look kind of busch league and seedy. A funky, old run down stadium, NO PARKING!?!, a weird state fair (that's pretty 1920s right there).

yermom
6/23/2008, 11:55 PM
there is fair parking... i like it better than trying to find some house to park at and find later

KingBarry
6/24/2008, 12:40 AM
there is fair parking... i like it better than trying to find some house to park at and find later

Yeah, that's my point. Modern stadiums have parking lots around them. Old fashioned ones don't, and you are stuck in people's yards and what not.

The longer this thread goes, the more I'm leaning to getting away from that fair.

Rhino
6/24/2008, 01:25 AM
I always laugh at the people parking in stranger's yards when the fair parking is as close, more secure and generally cheaper.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/24/2008, 09:10 AM
Cowboy season ticket holders have a "Seat license fee". However, they do NOT get first picks on anything outside of cowboy games, like the Super Bowl, college games, etc. At least that is what I read in the paper last summer.

Lott's Bandana
6/24/2008, 02:03 PM
Don't you just LUUUUUUV how as people are getting fatter and fatter, they're making seating arrangements at stadiums smaller and smaller for us common folk? Texas is the fattest state in the union, according to some reports. Something tells me seating arrangements are about to get a lot smaller at the Cotton Bowl.

Last year's experience with the new bleacher seating instead of the chairbacks was a significant improvement over all the previous knee-banging, iron-armrest decades prior. Such a relatively small change that really made a huge difference in the enjoyment of the game, and yes, it is much easier to stand on the bleachers than the old seats!

I have seen some photos of the renovations being made to the CB. I am again impressed with what is being done. The ramps up from the floor of the Fair are being widened and accesses to the restrooms are obviously being improved. The South end-zone (OU's) area looks remarkably different and much more fan-friendly. We'll see.

Roasted corn, deep fried ________(fill in the blank_____, traffic and parking issues, racing pigs, new cars to look at, decent concert after the game (usually), and thoroughly enjoying the Fair after an OU victory and the dejection of the burntO villagers all make the experience of this game unlike any other played, either college or professional.

I HATE that my grandkids don't get to walk up and down Commerce Street singing and dodging water cannons at 2am...I would really HATE x2 that they would not get the thrill of seeing a half full stadium, clad in red, cheering another victory while that beautiful, iconic Ferris wheel looks down with symbolic approval.

The City ponied up. Good.
The "fans swap ends each year" idea fizzled. Good.
Freakin stupid TV-driven 11am kickoffs. (this year again) Bad.

This would be missing a lot in a giant Arlington parking lot:

-P18PvLwqHo&feature

badger
6/24/2008, 02:15 PM
The much better version of OU-Texas overview on national media. (http://www.kfor.com/Global/category.asp?C=113881&nav=menu99_5)

Lott's Bandana
6/24/2008, 02:28 PM
The much better version of OU-Texas overview on national media. (http://www.kfor.com/Global/category.asp?C=113881&nav=menu99_5)

And much seen and posted on at this board already. But thanks for agreeing with my point.

Taxman71
6/24/2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah, that's my point. Modern stadiums have parking lots around them. Old fashioned ones don't, and you are stuck in people's yards and what not.

Does this apply to the Cotton Bowl or Owen Field? Dallas isn't going to remove tax-generating homes and businesses so people will have a closer parking space 2 to 6 days a year.

I will reiterate that the RRW is 1 game per year and you only sit during timeouts and halftime. The lack of elbow room and modern amenities are a small price to pay for the greatest sporting event in existence. When you leave OU-texas, you should be tired, hoarse and sweaty. Otherwise, you didn't stand enough, yell enough or drink/eat enough beer and deep fried food. Stated another way, you did not soak up the greatness that is OU-texas.

SeattleOUstudent
6/24/2008, 02:57 PM
So we are all in agreement here? good. Carry on.

Big Red Ron
6/25/2008, 08:43 AM
If there isn't a real split in Tix (ie, no Cowboy season tx deal) then I doubt it will happen.

Also, let aggy, aggie, tech, aTm and the hogs have that place (jerry's world). our thing is at the fair and they are fixing it up even more in the future.

carry on.

TexasLidig8r
6/25/2008, 09:31 AM
It's the dog days of the off season...

I've been to every Texas - OU game since 1976 .. except for one. The Game is not about a futuristic, "Star Wars" type stadium with the creature comforts designed more for the middle aged fat cat alum. Those stadiums are designed to isolate the fans from the action... not involve them. So the seats aren't comfortable for your fat ***? Who cares! No one ever sits down anyway!

Can Jerry's World duplicate the sights, the smells? ... incredibly fattening food lending that fried food aroma.... (It's bad enough they got rid of Emmitt the Turtle Boy and the rest of the sideshow acts).. the sounds of the bands, the stadium split in half....

As for traffic, oh here's an idea.. do your homework and don't take 75 to I-30 to the Second Street exit! (no wait, do take that route and stay off my super secret back street ways with no traffic)

The Texas - OU weekend is quintessentially everything that is right about college football. (and THAT is becoming a rarer quality with each passing year).. it is about tradition and history, fans animosity... burnt orange and crimson.. it is about the giants of the game.. Darryl K. Royal and Barry Switzer.. Earl Campbell and Billy Simms... Vince Young and Jason White.. it is about agonizing defeats and thrilling victories.. it's about beautiful cloudless days and rainstorms... and it is all within the venerable Cotton Bowl. Standing in the Cotton Bowl, you can sense, almost feel, the ghosts of the greats who have played the Game.

Jerry's World will strip all that away and for what... beer in the parking lot and $12 hot dogs while you sit in comfort, lost in the magnitude of a stadium being held up as something greater than " the Game" itself and miserably failing at that. Jerry's World is for those college teams who need something to elevate their game, their reputation, their national presence.. schools like.. Okie Lite, sand aggy, the pigs and sheep humpin aggy.

Texas and Oklahoma are two programs who define college football...we don't need to be defined by a pretty new bauble.

Curly Bill
6/25/2008, 09:34 AM
So the seats aren't comfortable for your fat ***? Who cares! No one ever sits down anyway!

:D

Taxman71
6/25/2008, 09:54 AM
I think most people who actually go to the game every year still prefer the CB. JerryWorld is merely a close second and avoids a home and home series, which would all but ruin the rivalry IMO.

badger
6/25/2008, 10:05 AM
Ah well. I think everyone agrees that our opinions are not going to change the fact that it is COTTON BOWL this year and every year through 2015. After that, or closer to that year, this discussion could start some good ideas. However, until that time comes, whining about not being at Jerryworld or how the Cotton Bowl isn't Jerryworld and such is not going get us any closer to Jerryworld... or home-and-home, if that is what floats your moat boat.

soonerfan28
6/25/2008, 10:30 AM
Just curious if anybody thinks that if it was moved to the new stadium that it would get a primetime showing on TV?

yermom
6/25/2008, 10:41 AM
probably more likely

i don't care, i'm not going to be watching on TV :D

those 11am kicks suck though

JLEW1818
6/25/2008, 02:16 PM
How you like drinking that early!!

Taxman71
6/25/2008, 03:45 PM
How you like drinking that early!!

If you are a true OU-texas veteran, pregame drinks for an 11:00 kickoff is actually considered "extended late drinking".

olevetonahill
6/25/2008, 06:19 PM
If you are a true OU-texas veteran, pregame drinks for an 11:00 kickoff is actually considered "extended late drinking".

Yup we just be Continuing, Not Just gettin started .;)

Taxman71
6/26/2008, 08:45 AM
Yup we just be Continuing, Not Just gettin started .;)

And I ain't talking about wimpy bloody mary drinks either......more like cc waterback at the hotel chased with fair beer and nachos at 9:45.