PDA

View Full Version : I would like to tell you guys something

Jerk
6/21/2008, 05:03 PM
I'll admit: I get drunk in the morning, and stoned in the afternoon.

And if you don't like the way I'm living...

Then you just leave this long-haired country boy alone, mmmk?

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2008, 05:15 PM
More power to you. As long as you're not hurting anyone else nobody should give a **** what you are doing.

Party on.

King Crimson
6/21/2008, 05:28 PM
the late, great McKinley Morganfield

oHowqKYSXNI

King Crimson
6/21/2008, 05:38 PM
i've heard that Buddy Guy and the Stones do a pretty scorching version of Muddy's Champagne and Reefer in the Shine a Light doc/movie.

that version above is from Muddy's King Bee record which is close to the last record he ever made. it's a great record (with Johnny Winter playing some great stuff). the title cut is from the GREAT Slim Harpo song. The Stones cover Slim Harpo on Exile with Hip Shake Thing.

end: off topic.

Jerk
6/21/2008, 05:43 PM
i've heard that Buddy Guy and the Stones do a pretty scorching version of Muddy's Champagne and Reefer in the Shine a Light doc/movie.

that version above is from Muddy's King Bee record which is close to the last record he ever made. it's a great record (with Johnny Winter playing some great stuff). the title cut is from the GREAT Slim Harpo song. The Stones cover Slim Harpo on Exile with Hip Shake Thing.

I listened to it..in its entirety..and enjoyed it much...thanks.

Scott D
6/21/2008, 06:10 PM

hah so you admit that the Stones are just a blues cover band! ;)

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2008, 06:12 PM
I thought you were serious.

King Crimson
6/21/2008, 06:21 PM
hah so you admit that the Stones are just a blues cover band! ;)

there's no way i ever said otherwise. i ain't stupid. so was Led Zeppelin until maybe Houses of the Holy.

how many white americans had ever heard of Robert Johnson (Love in Vain) or Willie Dixon (bring it on home) before those guys, and really Brian Jones turned all those guys on.

they weren't "just"; but, they were.

King Crimson
6/21/2008, 06:23 PM
and i am drinking beer, so i'm with Jerk and on-topic.

Jerk
6/21/2008, 06:27 PM
I find it interesting that the 'inspiration' went from black folks singing blues, to England, then back to 'Merica, and 30 years later we have bands like STP, who are basically modern-day clones of LZ.

Listen to this guitar solo and tell me where they got their infuence (2:28):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1AmqcJugPs

The 1990's will go down as the best evar in rock history.

bluedogok
6/21/2008, 06:32 PM
If you ever get a chance to see Martin Scorcese's The Blues (http://www.pbs.org/theblues/) on PBS or DVD, do it. It is a very good history of the blues, its roots and one episode deals with the appreciation in England and subsequent re-introduction back into the American music scene Red, White & Blues (http://www.pbs.org/theblues/aboutfilms/figgis.html).

Jerk
6/21/2008, 06:33 PM
King - you have an awesome signature.

Being 'free' is a lot harder than 'being taken care of'

Scott D
6/21/2008, 06:42 PM
there's no way i ever said otherwise. i ain't stupid. so was Led Zeppelin until maybe Houses of the Holy.

how many white americans had ever heard of Robert Johnson (Love in Vain) or Willie Dixon (bring it on home) before those guys, and really Brian Jones turned all those guys on.

they weren't "just"; but, they were.

I can't answer that question about white americans....and I was just messin' with you going back to that other thread that Froz started about the Beatles. :)

Jerk
6/21/2008, 06:45 PM
I can't answer that question about white americans....and I was just messin' with you going back to that other thread that Froz started about the Beatles. :)

I think any white citizen of the US of 'Merica with more than 2 brain cells knows where the raw talent came from which led to today's music.

Jerk
6/21/2008, 06:48 PM
Black people!!!!

Scott D
6/21/2008, 06:48 PM
I think any white citizen of the US of 'Merica with more than 2 brain cells knows where the raw talent came from which led to today's music.

ironically, N'awlins ;)

King Crimson
6/21/2008, 06:50 PM

naw, i know you were goofing on me. deservedly so, prolly.

ain't no thing, yo. :D

Jerk
6/21/2008, 06:55 PM
ironically, N'awlins ;)

Black people!!!!!

SRSLY, I think only an 88'er headbanger would disagree. Either that, or someone with less than two brain cells.

I'm not a racist. I don't believe I'm superior to others because I am white. But I am prejudiced. Black folk are better at fun stuff like...creativity and arts..

White people are better at boring stuff, like math and engineering.

This doesn't mean that you can't have a genius black engineer or a super duper white musician.

If anyone here believes in evolution, then I shant get no objections.

Before anyone negs me, read Barry Switzer's book.

Scott D
6/21/2008, 06:59 PM
Black people!!!!!

SRSLY, I think only an 88'er headbanger would disagree. Either that, or someone with less than two brain cells.

I'm not a racist. I don't believe I'm superior to others because I am white. But I am prejudiced. Black folk are better at fun stuff like...creativity and arts..

White people are better at boring stuff, like math and engineering.

This doesn't mean that you can't have a genius black engineer or a super duper white musician.

If anyone here believes in evolution, then I shant get no objections.

Before anyone negs me, read Barry Switzer's book.

dude, I'm messin' with you too :)

Jerk
6/21/2008, 07:01 PM
Before anyone here negs me, you tell me, here in public, that white folk are just as athletic as black folk.

I dare ya.

And by the same token, it wasn't a bunch of brothers figurin' out how to make a nuclear bomb.

Scott D
6/21/2008, 07:03 PM
Before anyone here negs me, you tell me, here in public, that white folk are just as athletic as black folk.

I dare ya.

And by the same token, it wasn't a bunch of brothers figurin' out how to make a nuclear bomb.

Soccer players and hockey players are pretty damn athletic. I'd say the same for gymnasts as well. Measurables aren't really a reliable indicator of much.

Also, brothas don't need to make no nukes. Knives work just as well and send a stronger message when you wanna sleep ;)

Jerk
6/21/2008, 07:04 PM
Different, but equal. That's all I'm sAYING.

Jerk
6/21/2008, 07:10 PM
oKAY, MAYBE IT's just a misunderstanding.

I listen to a white comedian, and I don't really laugh that much.

I listen to David Chappell....And I laugh so hard it hurts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJkhEcQ44k
(this aint Dave but you know what I mean)

I believe in God..and I believe that God loves variety, and loves us all.

tommieharris91
6/21/2008, 07:19 PM
I'll admit: I get drunk in the morning, and stoned in the afternoon.

And if you don't like the way I'm living...

Then you just leave this long-haired country boy alone, mmmk?

bs4y5si8DGs

What do I win?

Jerk
6/21/2008, 07:23 PM
bs4y5si8DGs

What do I win?

You win green spek.

PhilTLL
6/21/2008, 07:38 PM
Soccer players and hockey players are pretty damn athletic. I'd say the same for gymnasts as well. Measurables aren't really a reliable indicator of much.

And it doesn't seem to be a story of something inherently different in the people--just their histories, opportunities, and traditions. White American puritanism didn't really tend to breed a lot of great, daring music and dance; a black kid with a taste for theoretical physics couldn't expect a ton of chances at education and research in 1910. Just for two examples.

Jerk
6/21/2008, 07:50 PM
And it doesn't seem to be a story of something inherently different in the people--just their histories, opportunities, and traditions. White American puritanism didn't really tend to breed a lot of great, daring music and dance; a black kid with a taste for theoretical physics couldn't expect a ton of chances at education and research in 1910. Just for two examples.

You're right. It could be only cultural. But there is something that most people are afraid to speak of, and this kind of talk doesn't occur much because of this fear. Is it genetic, or cultural? I don't know, but it is OBVIOUS to all.

You could have the world's best engineer be borne of African descent, and the world's best athlete and/or musician be borne of European descent. I could never argue otherwise. Think of this like curves on a graph, but they over-lap.

def_lazer_fc
6/21/2008, 07:55 PM
Black people!!!!!

are they not one in the same? :D

6/21/2008, 08:12 PM
I think I get your point, Jerk. I think it is completely cultural, though. Well, as far as the social status part. The black dudes are kicking our butts on the athletic front, though. :D

StoopTroup
6/21/2008, 08:27 PM
I saw the Kentucky Headhunters do "Spirit in the Sky" at Farm Aid in Dallas one year.

That RMFO...I wish they had that on video. :(

Jerk
6/21/2008, 09:14 PM
12:

Right. When we get a white RB who is as good as AD then I will STFU.

Scott D
6/21/2008, 10:22 PM
12:

Right. When we get a white RB who is as good as AD then I will STFU.

eh, see the dangerous road about using that logic goes into the whole dominant and recessive gene argument. By which, the weakest most inferior beings on the planet physically would be albinos, followed by blonde hair and blue eyes. However, we already know this not to necessarily be true. Other than cultural differences, matters such as educational opportunities, extracurriculars, and economical status play a major role as well.

It's no accident that many of the most highly skilled athletes worldwide come from poor/poverty based backgrounds.

then you got rich kids like pau gasol who have talent but are soft ;)

Jerk
6/21/2008, 11:33 PM
eh, see the dangerous road about using that logic goes into the whole dominant and recessive gene argument. By which, the weakest most inferior beings on the planet physically would be albinos, followed by blonde hair and blue eyes. However, we already know this not to necessarily be true. Other than cultural differences, matters such as educational opportunities, extracurriculars, and economical status play a major role as well.

It's no accident that many of the most highly skilled athletes worldwide come from poor/poverty based backgrounds.

then you got rich kids like pau gasol who have talent but are soft ;)

You may be right. But so far as "dangerous logic" goes, I want to assure you that I do not believe in "seperate but equal." Sometimes I'm a little too blunt at expressing how I see the world around me. You know me and you know how I see things...I'm no white boy full of guilt about what my ancestors did. I almost feel daring for calling out the obvious here. Whether it is cultural or genetic or something else, I really can't say.

I need to tell you about this cab ride from Shreveport I had about 13 years ago. The driver was a major 88'er: KKK all the way. For some reason, he offered me a ride to Dallas for cheap. I was only 19 and didn't have money, and needed to get home. I take the ride and he went on about his white power agenda and his beliefs. I sat there and listened and said my amens. Yeah, I confess, I was a total sh*t-bag. Then I get to Dallas and I have to take a Greyhound to OKC and got seated next to a young black girl who was the sweetest and most pleasant human being I've ever been around. And to this day, that night haunts me. How can I be pure evil one second, and then mr. nice guy the very next minute?

I still think about that night to this day...a lot...and it really affected me in greater ways than I can say.

Scott D
6/21/2008, 11:37 PM
you were just hoping that guy wasn't going to corner you into the butt secks, so you said what you did to keep the peace. :)

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2008, 11:39 PM
I know what it's like to walk the black man's shoes.

Scott D
6/21/2008, 11:40 PM
you were supposed to be shinin' them shoes boy. ;)

6/21/2008, 11:42 PM
At the end of the day, we can probably all agree that Brian Bozworth, Keith Jackson, Jason White and Adrian Peterson all kicked major butt for us.

I don't have a point.

They just did.

Jerk
6/21/2008, 11:43 PM
you were just hoping that guy wasn't going to corner you into the butt secks, so you said what you did to keep the peace. :)

I said what I needed to say to get from Shreveport to Dallas without getting raped or murdered. I ain't proud of it, but I did what I did.

OU-HSV
6/21/2008, 11:43 PM
oKAY, MAYBE IT's just a misunderstanding.

I listen to a white comedian, and I don't really laugh that much.

I listen to David Chappell....And I laugh so hard it hurts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kJkhEcQ44k
(this aint Dave but you know what I mean)

I believe in God..and I believe that God loves variety, and loves us all.
I differ w/you about the comedians.
I'm not a big fan of black comedians, not for racial reasons..It's just that I simply haven't found one other than Chappell who can consistently make me laugh at the topics they are joking about.
I like Ron White, Steve McGrew, Dane Cook and so on.
I don't really care for female comedians either...for the same reason as mentioned above.

Jerk
6/21/2008, 11:44 PM
At the end of the day, we can probably all agree that Brian Bozworth, Keith Jackson, Jason White and Adrian Peterson all kicked major butt for us.

I don't have a point.

They just did.

You're right, man. We've had awesome players, white and black, who are now legends.

You really have to read Barry Switzer's book to know what I'm trying to say.

SicEmBaylor
6/21/2008, 11:44 PM
Female comedians are obnoxious. EVERY single female comedian has an obligatory menstruating joke.

Scott D
6/21/2008, 11:45 PM
I said what I needed to say to get from Shreveport to Dallas without getting raped or murdered. I ain't proud of it, but I did what I did.

ain't nothin' wrong with sayin' what you gotta say to avoid the involuntary butt secks. Besides, as far as virtuous goes in life, everyone is as pure as driven through snow. Some people were just salted/sanded beforehand ;)

6/21/2008, 11:45 PM
Dane Cook included.

Scott D
6/21/2008, 11:46 PM
and most comedians aren't funny for very long. that's a career that generally has a short shelf life.

OU-HSV
6/21/2008, 11:49 PM
and most comedians aren't funny for very long. that's a career that generally has a short shelf life.

Very true

def_lazer_fc
6/21/2008, 11:49 PM
I like Ron White, Steve McGrew, Dane Cook and so on.

death to Dane Cook. bro-heem comedy at its worst/best.

OU-HSV
6/21/2008, 11:54 PM
death to Dane Cook. bro-heem comedy at its worst/best.

Sorry, I must be half asleep.
So you're saying you don't like Dane Cook, right?

Jerk
6/21/2008, 11:54 PM
ain't nothin' wrong with sayin' what you gotta say to avoid the involuntary butt secks. Besides, as far as virtuous goes in life, everyone is as pure as driven through snow. Some people were just salted/sanded beforehand ;)

yep. I know I try and act mean here, sayin' I got all these guns and I'm a crazy mofo', but when you're at a bus stop in downtown Dallas at 2:00am, all of that talk just goes right out the window.

I really don't believe that night was an accident. It couldn't have been. I was being taught a lesson; one that I will remember until I die.

6/21/2008, 11:57 PM
Dane Cook.

Feh.

def_lazer_fc
6/21/2008, 11:59 PM
Sorry, I must be half asleep.
So you're saying you don't like Dane Cook, right?

that'd be an understatement, but yes.

def_lazer_fc
6/22/2008, 12:00 AM
ive always liked patton oswalt's standup. its a shame most people don't know him outside that sitcom he was on.

Jerk
6/22/2008, 12:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYWWjSTM8l4

OU-HSV
6/22/2008, 12:04 AM
that'd be an understatement, but yes.

I thought his Vicious Circle routine was pretty damn good.
It's interesting how we all have such different opinions on what we think is funny.

6/22/2008, 12:06 AM
Patton Oswalt is good until he climbs up on his stump.

So many comedians seem to have an agenda these days... it gets tiresome.

King Crimson
6/22/2008, 12:07 AM
you know what i don't like: when women spit. only because they are really bad at it.

they either: 1. try and pretend like it's nothing, "women spit too" (i'm on board with that). but they generally do it poorly. it's not convincing, when you spit you are doing something functional, not artistic. this is something a man understands.

or 2. they really overdo it like it "means something". sure, i get it...but just do it.

i could care less if women spit or not, but no reason to make a spectacle of it.

Frozen Sooner
6/22/2008, 12:09 AM
ive always liked patton oswalt's standup. its a shame most people don't know him outside that sitcom he was on.

Patton Oswalt is very funny.
Brian Posehn is greatness.
The immortal Mitch...man.

There was a guy on Last Comic Standing on Thursday who reminded me of Mitch. I mean, of course he probably isn't nearly as talented, but one of his jokes reminded me a lot of Mitch.

"For such an amazing guy, Jesus really didn't make that much of a mark on carpentry. Like, you never hear anyone saying 'OK, we're going to put this together with a Jesus join.'"

6/22/2008, 12:13 AM
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/916

Mitch was great, by the way.

Blue
6/22/2008, 12:15 AM
Alot of comics stink because they loathe themselves so much.

As far as race relations, some of my customers are black and very intelligent and some white customers are complete scumbags. No matter the race, every one has trash.

I think the circumstances in upbringing (i.e poor, lack of dads, etc) make it much tougher for blacks to catch a break. Just like Old Money, it's hard to get prominent positions due to "who you know." It's almost like a Caste system without calling it that.

Blue
6/22/2008, 12:21 AM
And I third Dane Cook sucks.

My fav stand-ups- David Cross, Dennis Miller, Eddie martin and Pryor of course. David Spade. Chris rock.

SicEmBaylor
6/22/2008, 12:23 AM
I like Dane Cook.

Dennis Miller, Pryor, and David Spade are among the most obnoxious human beings on earth.

Chris Rock is cool.

6/22/2008, 12:28 AM
I do a great Chris Rock imitation:

LOUD LOUD quiet LOUD LOUD! good point LOUD LOUD LOUD!

6/22/2008, 12:29 AM
Oh, and I could not agree more about David Spade.

r5TPsooner
6/22/2008, 12:30 AM
Jeff Foxworthy is one funny mutherfocker and he's a pretty bright guy too. What I like about him the most is that he's the most unracist redneck comedian that I've ever seen, plus his jokes hit pretty close to home if you didn't grow up with a silver spoon in your mouth which I surely did not.

On the other hand I just saw Paul Mooney on Showtime and he may be the biggest racist on the comedy scene today. However, he made me laugh a few times but that dude HATES white people w/o a doubt.

Blue
6/22/2008, 12:41 AM
Oh, and I could not agree more about David Spade.

Being a good comic or arrogant? I just liked that one stand-up he did where he was substituting lyrics for Hotel California ang getting his tarantula high. :D

Miller can ome across that way and maybe he does think he's better than everyone. I just enjoy his delivery. Check out his book, :I rant, therefore I am."

Bill Maher is the arrogant one I can't stand but thats only becuase he bashes religion incessantly only to create a buzz and make movies about it.

r5TPsooner
6/22/2008, 12:42 AM
Being a good comic or arrogant? I just liked that one stand-up he did where he was substituting lyrics for Hotel California ang getting his tarantula high. :D

Miller can ome across that way and maybe he does think he's better than everyone. I just enjoy his delivery. Check out his book, :I rant, therefore I am."

Bill Maher is the arrogant one I can't stand but thats only becuase he bashes religion incessantly only to create a buzz and make movies about it.

Bill Maher is the poster boy for what a liberal is.

Blue
6/22/2008, 12:48 AM
This thread got jacked up! :D

def_lazer_fc
6/22/2008, 01:10 AM
i almost forgot to mention david cross. his **** is so funny. im not really sure what agenda patton oswalt's comedy has though.

def_lazer_fc
6/22/2008, 01:15 AM
miller has one shtick. never liked it, never will.

lewis black is always pretty golden.

def_lazer_fc
6/22/2008, 01:17 AM
his jokes hit pretty close to home if you didn't grow up with a silver spoon in your mouth which I surely did not.

silver spoon? hardly. wooden spoon. maybe. how one guy made this long of a career out of that redneck bit is beyond me. blandest comedian evah.

def_lazer_fc
6/22/2008, 01:23 AM
btw, honest question for the mitch fans out there. i saw this guy at OU a few years ago. zach galifianakis opened and i thought he killed. mitch kinda wore thin for me about 3 minutes in. i get it. you're high. whats the draw?

Frozen Sooner
6/22/2008, 01:27 AM
The draw?

He made me laugh. He said some really ridiculous **** that kind of made sense.

6/22/2008, 01:49 AM
I do a good Lewis Black, too...

ANGER RAGE RAGE ANGER GEORGE BUSH BLAH! GD! GD! calm calm. ANGER ANGER!

Blue
6/22/2008, 02:43 AM
miller has one shtick. never liked it, never will.

lewis black is always pretty golden.

You notice he's on OReillys show every week stroking Bills ego. And Bill acts like they're great buds. Millers there for the face time and hopes of another tv show.

You have to realize though that every comedian has their own schtick. Just being themselves.

David Cross- Check out Mr.Show with Bob and david. I can't pimp that show enough. Genius. :D

Blue
6/22/2008, 02:45 AM
Carlins show on HBO recently was extremely weak. I know he's old but dang. It reminded me of "Grumpy old Men."

Lewis Black- meh. Funny half the time, ADD Schitzo the other half.

Blue
6/22/2008, 02:48 AM
What made Mitch great was his off the wall material and uniqueness. Many try to copy him these days but they don't come close.

6/22/2008, 03:02 AM
I remember how much 04 hated Mitch. Of course, at the time, he was but a college stuident.;)

Vaevictis
6/22/2008, 05:56 AM
You're right. It could be only cultural. But there is something that most people are afraid to speak of, and this kind of talk doesn't occur much because of this fear. Is it genetic, or cultural? I don't know, but it is OBVIOUS to all.

I don't understand the argument that there are no genetic differences -- I mean, you can see them for goodness sake, just look at the color of the skin. Some races are more disposed to certain diseases. It should be only natural to expect that there are other differences we might not be able to see.

THAT SAID, I tend to think that the academic achievement differences tend to be cultural more than genetic. I mean, go back into history and take a look at some of the things achieved in Africa; just take a look at the mathematical and engineering capability of the ancient Egyptians, for example.

I always tell a joke about how, once I got past my sophomore level engineering classes, I could always tell if I was in the correct room by the number and make-up of the females in the room. If there was more than one female per X number of males in the class (X dependent on whether it was a junior/senior/grad/top tier grad class), I was in the wrong room. If more than 1-2 of the females was non-Asian, I was in the wrong room.

Someone once heard me tell that joke, and asked me if I was implying that females were incapable of learning that material. I replied that it wasn't that they were incapable, it's that they were disinclined -- partially because of a cultural attitude that girls shouldn't do math, partially because of a cultural attitude that it's uncool to like math (and doubly so for girls!).

I think the same thing can explain the racial distribution of highly educated individuals. People who are poor tend to place a lower value on education (which probably has to do with why they're poor in the first place). Those that do place a high value on education, being poor, have a lower opportunity to pursue it, further lowering the number of poor people who become highly educated. Certain races in the USA are disproportionately poor -- hence, it's no surprise that the levels of education are similarly disproportionate along racial lines.

I tend to think the same thing works in reverse for athleticism -- upper class people tend to de-emphasize sports as a career path, so, if you have a race that is disproportionately upper class (compared to other races), it should be no surprise that members of that race self-select themselves out of being atheletes.

OU-HSV
6/22/2008, 09:13 AM
Jeff Foxworthy is one funny mutherfocker and he's a pretty bright guy too. What I like about him the most is that he's the most unracist redneck comedian that I've ever seen, plus his jokes hit pretty close to home if you didn't grow up with a silver spoon in your mouth which I surely did not.

On the other hand I just saw Paul Mooney on Showtime and he may be the biggest racist on the comedy scene today. However, he made me laugh a few times but that dude HATES white people w/o a doubt.

Yeah, Foxworthy is good too

Jerk
6/22/2008, 09:59 AM
Sorry guys. I was really drunk last night. I drank a case of liquor store beer. Uh, I think I'm going to take a break.

OU-HSV
6/22/2008, 10:04 AM
Sorry guys. I was really drunk last night. I drank a case of liquor store beer. Uh, I think I'm going to take a break.

You didn't offend me. Made for good conversation. Keep drinkin'. :D