PDA

View Full Version : Go Cubs Go!!

tulsaoilerfan
6/21/2008, 04:32 PM
Please please please let this be our year. :D

Paperclip
6/21/2008, 04:40 PM
I'm sure enjoying the wins over the White Sox. :)

Scott D
6/21/2008, 04:52 PM
go lose to the Padres some more clip :P

Scott D
6/21/2008, 04:53 PM
Please please please let this be our year. :D

still plenty of time for them to wilt in the hot air that fill the stands of Wrigley come August ;)

BillyBall
6/21/2008, 06:28 PM
We own the mullets... **** the south side.

r5TPsooner
6/21/2008, 09:51 PM
They'll find a way to lose and let you down again just give it some time.

StormySooner-IN
6/21/2008, 10:13 PM
Its been 100 years this year....the time is right.... If they don't win this year....then....well WTf....

Scott D
6/21/2008, 10:23 PM
Its been 100 years this year....the time is right.... If they don't win this year....then....well WTf....

when they don't win, everyone will just say "same ol' cubs" and life will go on as normal :)

bri
6/21/2008, 10:26 PM
http://www.centurypeat.com/files/1787140/uploaded/web.jpg

:D

tulsaoilerfan
6/21/2008, 11:05 PM
Is that a real shirt? I kinda like it. :)

bri
6/21/2008, 11:14 PM
Yep (http://www.centurypeat.com). :D

Scott D
6/21/2008, 11:38 PM
it's next to the one that says "Cubs Win? Armageddon is indeed upon us" ;)

tommieharris91
6/22/2008, 12:07 AM
Well I sure enjoy it. Now if only we could win on the road...

Oh, and if only the Cardinals team didn't have a collective horseshoe up its ***...

tommieharris91
6/22/2008, 12:09 AM

The baseball gods frown on counting chickens before they hatch...

bri
6/22/2008, 10:13 AM
Yeah, I felt the same about all those stupid Sugar Bowl shirts that those retards over at Smack Sports were making before the regular season was even over. But these were made before the season, so I think that maybe counts?

Besides, we're the Cubs. The baseball gods frown on us anyway. Might as well get a giggle out of it. ;)

r5TPsooner
6/22/2008, 11:04 AM
I'm a Yankee and a Cubs fan and when Moses couldn't catch that foul ball against the Marlins a few years ago in the NLCS I knew we were ****ed. My dream of a Yanks-Cubs series went down with it.

bri
6/22/2008, 12:49 PM
Yeah, that one hurt for a while. Then to have to sit there and watch the f*cking Red Sox win it, oh, it still burns.

tommieharris91
6/22/2008, 01:12 PM
Meh, I don't blame Bartman. I blame Alex Gonzalez and Dusty Baker for leaving Prior in Game 2 (?), which was a blowout and Prior threw like 120 pitches.

tulsaoilerfan
6/22/2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I felt the same about all those stupid Sugar Bowl shirts that those retards over at Smack Sports were making before the regular season was even over. But these were made before the season, so I think that maybe counts?

Besides, we're the Cubs. The baseball gods frown on us anyway. Might as well get a giggle out of it. ;)

And a few bucks for someone. :D

tulsaoilerfan
6/22/2008, 02:37 PM
Meh, I don't blame Bartman. I blame Alex Gonzalez and Dusty Baker for leaving Prior in Game 2 (?), which was a blowout and Prior threw like 120 pitches.

U are correct; has anyone seen the Top 5 reasons series on ESPN? In the Bartman episode,Gonzalez and Dusty Baker were both mentioned as people that should be blamed instead of Bartman, and i totally agree; Gonzalez messed up a routine DP ball because he was lazy and backhanded the ball instead of doing the fundamental thing and getting in front of it, and Baker should have went out there to talk to Prior to calm him down.

And in case you missed it, it was announced a couple of weeks ago that Prior was going to have another season ending surgery; he should sue Dusty Baker for over-use. :mad:

GrapevineSooner
6/22/2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, that one hurt for a while. Then to have to sit there and watch the f*cking Red Sox win it, oh, it still burns.

GrapevineSooner
6/22/2008, 08:21 PM
U are correct; has anyone seen the Top 5 reasons series on ESPN? In the Bartman episode,Gonzalez and Dusty Baker were both mentioned as people that should be blamed instead of Bartman, and i totally agree; Gonzalez messed up a routine DP ball because he was lazy and backhanded the ball instead of doing the fundamental thing and getting in front of it, and Baker should have went out there to talk to Prior to calm him down.

And in case you missed it, it was announced a couple of weeks ago that Prior was going to have another season ending surgery; he should sue Dusty Baker for over-use. :mad:

Blaming Bartman in 2003 makes about as much sense as blaming Bucknah in '86.

bri
6/22/2008, 09:59 PM
Is there any true Cub fan alive who remembers the last championship?

Probably. We've made such wonderful advances in medical science anymore, there's tons of 110-year-olds running around. :D

tulsaoilerfan
6/22/2008, 10:16 PM
Bye Bye White Sox :)

Paperclip
6/22/2008, 10:27 PM
Tigers pick up two games this weekend. Woo hoo!

bri
6/22/2008, 10:32 PM
Is Ozzie on suicide watch yet? :D

bri
6/23/2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, but the Sawx suck. We've just taken the past century off to level the playing field for everyone else. :D

tommieharris91
6/24/2008, 12:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080620

And for ****s and giggles, the thread on the aggy board that equates bandwagon Cubs fans to bandwagon OU fans is right here.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=53901

GrapevineSooner
6/24/2008, 03:35 PM
And Joe Morgan gets pwn3d (http://lavieenrobe.typepad.com/la_vie_en_robe/2008/06/basket-case.html).

But then Morgan did something completely bizarre: In the fifth inning, when Eric Patterson hit a two-run homer into the wire basket that overhangs the right field wall, Morgan referred to the basket as "Banks Boulevard," and then went on to talk about how many Ernie Banks homers ended up in the Wrigley bleacher baskets back in the day — the implication being, of course, that many of Ernie's 512 career homers were cheapies, and that he would have hit considerably fewer without the help of those right- and left-field baskets.

This was one of the weirdest things I've ever heard, so I did a bit of research on "Banks Boulevard," and it turns out that Lil' Joe has been beating this particular non-existent horse for years, claiming that, back when he played, "everybody" referred to the baskets as Banks Boulevard. What's especially bizarre about Morgan's claim is that those baskets didn't even EXIST until May 1970, when they were affixed to the top of Wrigley's outfield walls — not to increase Banks' home run output, but to keep drunken Bleacher Bums from spilling their beer (or themselves) onto the warning track.

It's also an easily verifiable fact that Banks only hit seven homers at Wrigley between the time those baskets were installed and his retirement at the end of the 1971 season. And of those seven, there's footage of Banks' 500th homer flying fairly deep into the bleachers; which means that, at the very most, six out of his 512 career round-trippers landed in the basket. And which means that Morgan has no ****ing idea what he's talking about. I know he has no love for Ryne Sandberg — i.e., the one player of the modern era who might have been Morgan's equal as a second baseman — but what could he possibly have to gain by implying that Banks' home runs needed help getting out of the park?

I also have no idea why, since this is apparently an error that Morgan consistently perpetuates, someone at ESPN hasn't had a word with him about it, because this reflects really poorly on both Morgan and the network. Seriously — if Morgan's making this "Banks Blvd" **** up, then he's a grade-A *******; and if he sincerely believes his tall tale to be true, then he's veering dangerously into Grandpa Simpson territory. "Three wars back we called Sauerkraut 'liberty cabbage,' and we called liberty cabbage 'super slaw,' and back then a suitcase was known as a 'Swedish lunch box.' Of course, nobody knew that but me..."

tulsaoilerfan
6/24/2008, 04:34 PM
I can't stand Joe Morgan or anyone associated with the Reds of the 70's; they all think they were the greatest thing since sliced bread

Scott D
6/24/2008, 04:38 PM
I can't stand Joe Morgan or anyone associated with the Reds of the 70's; they all think they were the greatest thing since sliced bread

not true, George Lee Anderson is about as humble a person as you'll ever meet.

tommieharris91
6/24/2008, 06:37 PM
Those of you who can't stand Joe Morgan would like this site, if you're a stat geek like me and understand it. :cool:

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/

r5TPsooner
7/2/2008, 05:27 PM
Cubs-Debil Rays World Series baby!

tommieharris91
7/2/2008, 05:47 PM
Bleh, the Cubs turned back into the Cubs.

Actually it's because losing Soriano, Zambrano and Reed Johnson and having other guys play through injury has caught up with us. Reed will come back Thursday, Z on Friday, and Soriano says he would like to be back for the Reds series starting Tuesday.

BillyBall
7/9/2008, 11:34 AM
Welcome to the Northside Mr. Harden.

Great response to the CC deal.

tommieharris91
7/9/2008, 08:49 PM
All the 7th inning stretch proves these days is that people who aren't paid to sing shouldn't. Especially NASCAR drivers.

tulsaoilerfan
7/9/2008, 11:33 PM
All the 7th inning stretch proves these days is that people who aren't paid to sing shouldn't. Especially NASCAR drivers.

Hell that's the beauty of it, isn't it? Who butchered it tonight?:D

tommieharris91
7/10/2008, 01:17 PM
Hell that's the beauty of it, isn't it? Who butchered it tonight?:D

It was Juan Pablo Montoya. But the Cubs scored 3 runs in the 7th, so I guess it helps.

sooner2b09
7/13/2008, 06:11 PM
Rich Harden *clap, clap, clap clap clap*

illinisooner
7/13/2008, 06:35 PM
How long until a Sox fan makes a "Choke Cubs choke, choke Cubs choke! Hey Chicago whaddya say, the Cubs are gonna lose today!" song? Full disclosure, I'm a big Cards and Sox fan, but will acknowledge that the Cubs are the best team in the NL. The Harden trade was an absolute steal (those four guys they dealt to Oakland are average at best) and even though they may have the new Mark Prior, if he's healthy in the playoffs, that's death in a short series to their opponent.

My two biggest questions/problems are: 1: The Cubs have played ALOT of their games at home, and done very well there...however, on the road they are not too amazing. The second half schedule features more road games, and how they respond to that will be crucial. 2: They're beating up on a weak NL, which is made up of mostly mediocre/bad teams. Not really a huge problem now, but in the playoffs they'll be facing significantly better competition. But if you've got Zambrano, Dempster, Harden, etc as your starters, a playoff series is winnable against anyone.

Mjcpr
7/13/2008, 08:02 PM
My two biggest questions/problems are: 1: The Cubs have played ALOT of their games at home, and done very well there...however, on the road they are not too amazing. The second half schedule features more road games, and how they respond to that will be crucial. 2: They're beating up on a weak NL, which is made up of mostly mediocre/bad teams. Not really a huge problem now, but in the playoffs they'll be facing significantly better competition. But if you've got Zambrano, Dempster, Harden, etc as your starters, a playoff series is winnable against anyone.

1. They've played 48 home games, 46 on the road.

2. Fortunately, the NL is where they play and that's who they have to beat until one seven games series in October IF they make it that far.

tommieharris91
7/14/2008, 01:15 AM
How long until a Sox fan makes a "Choke Cubs choke, choke Cubs choke! Hey Chicago whaddya say, the Cubs are gonna lose today!" song? Full disclosure, I'm a big Cards and Sox fan, but will acknowledge that the Cubs are the best team in the NL. The Harden trade was an absolute steal (those four guys they dealt to Oakland are average at best) and even though they may have the new Mark Prior, if he's healthy in the playoffs, that's death in a short series to their opponent.

1. Like Mjcpr said, Cubs have played 48 on the road, 46 at home. July and August are full of home games (especially August), and I wouldn't rule out a 20-win August for the Cubs just for that reason. September looks like a different story. Of the Cubs 22 games during that month, only 6 are at home. If we lose our lead during that month, that will be the reason.

2. Aren't good teams supposed to beat up on bad teams? But yea, our rotation of Lilly, Z, Harden, Dempster, and Marquis (:mad: I wish it was Marshall) might be the best top-to-bottom rotation in the majors. Our lineup features many .850+ OPS hitters this season. It's arguable, but it might be the best in the majors. Anyway, my point is that we're really good right now, despite missing Soriano and our current bullpen troubles.

And to add, I'm really worried about Marmol's dead arm. Lou loved using him in blowouts, close games, and tied games, and his everyday work is starting to show. He doesn't seem to trust his fastball, and his slider is losing a lot of movement it used to have. I was actually unhappy to hear he will replace Wood in the ASG today. It just means he will probably throw 40 pitches in a situation where we are down 5 runs.

Scott D
7/14/2008, 08:37 AM
So is the over/under on Harden going back on the DL at 3 weeks? :D

illinisooner
7/15/2008, 06:32 PM
Wow I didn't realize they had played so many on the road...it seems like literally every time I turned on WGN, the Cubs were playing at home. And yes, of course they're supposed to beat up on the good teams. But as a Cards and Sox fan, winner of back to back WS in 05 and 06, I can't accept that the Cubs are for real! Oh well...I usually root for the Cubs in the playoffs if they make it that far. That 100 year championship drought has to end sometime lol, and right after the Cards and Sox win titles is as good a time as any.

r5TPsooner
7/15/2008, 06:37 PM
When does Soriano come off the DL?

IMO, the Cubs are one good power hitter away from being taken seriously.

tommieharris91
7/15/2008, 06:43 PM

I have no idea where to put another good hitter, unless what you mean is put Soriano back in RF. Soriano is supposed be back very soon after the break, but I think he wil need a rehab assignment.

Sooner98
7/15/2008, 11:29 PM
Man, it would be nice if the NL could pull this one out, for once. (Not that I'm looking ahead to the Cubs in the World Series or anything....well, okay, yes I am). Going into the 12th, tied at 3. Some incredible defensive plays being made by the NL to stay alive.

tulsaoilerfan
7/16/2008, 07:56 PM

Supposedly he will be ready to play on July 24, according to ESPN

tommieharris91
7/25/2008, 03:24 PM
Jeff Samardzija is currently pitching for the Cubs. Yes, that Jeff Samardzija.

He came in with a 2-1 lead and finished the 7th with the game tied 2-2. And he threw a pitchout to the backstop.

tulsaoilerfan
7/25/2008, 06:43 PM
Cubs need another left handed bat to balance out all those righties in the lineup; while they are at it, it would be nice if Fukudome, Ramirez, and Lee contributed something once a week or so

Scott D
7/25/2008, 09:20 PM
not as nice as the Cubs going on a 15 game losing streak :D

tulsaoilerfan
7/27/2008, 12:52 PM
Well now we have a tie with Milwaukee; pitching has been good for the most part, but it's hard to win scoring 2 runs a game.

tulsaoilerfan
7/27/2008, 04:27 PM
Well headed to Milwaukee for a big series with at worst a share of the lead; offense finally came alive today now they just need to make it more consistent

tommieharris91
7/28/2008, 10:39 PM
Bump for taking game 1 vs Milwaukee. Pretty entertaining game too.

tulsaoilerfan
7/28/2008, 10:59 PM
Cubs need to play Fontenot more even against lefties; i would sit down Fukudome cause he isn't doing anything; play Fontenot at 2nd and go with DeRosa in right

tommieharris91
7/28/2008, 11:19 PM
Cubs need to play Fontenot more even against lefties; i would sit down Fukudome cause he isn't doing anything; play Fontenot at 2nd and go with DeRosa in right

He took a walk against Torres, who is a righty. Lou just went with the righty/lefty matchup there. Fukudome got his hit (coulda been called an error) vs Sabathia. Lou didn't start a lefty bat vs Sabathia tonight either.

That said, Fontenot has been hot lately. I hope he can keep up his July production. Fonty had a huge double yesterday, too.

Ohh and this:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u310/nucubs/zfontenotpregame2.gif

r5TPsooner
7/30/2008, 08:47 PM
Cubs trying to take 3 in a row from the Brew Crew. 4-1 Cubs on ESPN and Brew making pitching change.

r5TPsooner
7/30/2008, 08:57 PM
5-1 Cubbies, sweet.

tommieharris91
8/4/2008, 08:11 PM
So I'm hearing from another board that a tornado is on a path for Wrigleyville and is scheduled to hit around there at 8:15. :gary:

tommieharris91
8/4/2008, 09:09 PM
Well, no tornado, but a strong storm nevertheless. Apparently there was a touchdown in the western suburbs of Chicago.

:gary::gary::gary:

bri
8/8/2008, 03:16 PM
Well, no tornado, but a strong storm nevertheless. Apparently there was a touchdown in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Rex Grossman must have thrown another interception in 7-on-7 drills.

Also, the Cubs continue to be made of win and cautious optimism. :D

tommieharris91
8/8/2008, 03:21 PM
Jim Edmonds is trying to kill the Cardinals single-handedly today.

bri
8/8/2008, 03:27 PM
I approve of any and all attempts at Cardinals-killing.

tommieharris91
8/8/2008, 04:05 PM
Tony La Russa is a moran. That is all.

tommieharris91
8/8/2008, 04:34 PM
Henry Blanco hits a bases loaded single in the 11th!!! Cubs win today 3-2!!!

r5TPsooner
8/8/2008, 05:17 PM
Henry Blanco hits a bases loaded single in the 11th!!! Cubs win today 3-2!!!

Maybe just maybe this is the year. I still think that they need to make a trade for another hitter or middle reliever.

tulsaoilerfan
8/8/2008, 08:55 PM
Maybe just maybe this is the year. I still think that they need to make a trade for another hitter or middle reliever.

they are okay on both as long as Fonzie and Woodie can stay healthy; remember Kerry was out 3 weeks and now with him back everyone else goes back to their primary duties now; this team is good enough to win it all, but i'm not going to get excited until they do. :pop:

tommieharris91
8/16/2008, 01:52 AM
Bump for Daryle Ward's 9th inning HR tonight.

tulsaoilerfan
8/16/2008, 11:54 AM
Bump for Daryle Ward's 9th inning HR tonight.

That was pure greatness; about time he did something off the bench:D

kbsooner21
8/18/2008, 11:19 PM
Whoooooooooohoooooooooooo Cubbies!!!

I know they didn't play today but I just saw this thread :D

tommieharris91
8/25/2008, 09:23 PM
Cubs notch their 81st win tonight, becoming the first team this season to clinch a .500 record for the season. Magic numbers for the Cubs are down to 23 to clinch a playoff spot and 27 for the central division crown.

If the Cubs go 15-16 the rest of the way, Milwaukee would have to go 20-11 to tie the Cubs, and the Cardinals would have to go 23-7 to tie.

If the Cubs keep up their .618 winning percentage, they will go 19-12 down the stretch (and win 100 games :D). The Brewers would have to go 24-7 to tie, and the Cardinals would have to go 27-3 to tie if the Cubs pull that off.

Basically, the Cubs missing the playoffs at this point would be, well, cublike.

tommieharris91
8/26/2008, 01:38 PM
Things get even worse considering the Brewers and Cardinals play each other for their next 2 games.

r5TPsooner
8/26/2008, 02:55 PM
Cubs notch their 81st win tonight, becoming the first team this season to clinch a .500 record for the season. Magic numbers for the Cubs are down to 23 to clinch a playoff spot and 27 for the central division crown.

If the Cubs go 15-16 the rest of the way, Milwaukee would have to go 20-11 to tie the Cubs, and the Cardinals would have to go 23-7 to tie.

If the Cubs keep up their .618 winning percentage, they will go 19-12 down the stretch (and win 100 games :D). The Brewers would have to go 24-7 to tie, and the Cardinals would have to go 27-3 to tie if the Cubs pull that off.

Basically, the Cubs missing the playoffs at this point would be, well, cublike.

Think Colorado Rockies.:D

BillyBall
8/26/2008, 03:05 PM

That was by far the most intense severe weather day I have seen since I've moved here. First time I've heard tornado sirens here too.

tommieharris91
8/26/2008, 03:35 PM
Think Colorado Rockies.:D

Actually I'm thinking New York Mets.

r5TPsooner
8/26/2008, 04:32 PM
Actually I'm thinking New York Mets.

We are talking about the Cubs right?

Scott D
8/26/2008, 04:52 PM
well the 2007 Mets did a pretty good job of imitating the 1969 Cubs :D

bri
8/28/2008, 02:54 PM
Magic number - 24

r5TPsooner
8/28/2008, 02:59 PM
Will the Cubs win 100 games this season? Sure is looking good.

tommieharris91
8/28/2008, 03:15 PM

We're on pace for 101 now. With the schedule going forward, I think it's borderline between 99 and 100.

I think the last time the Cubs won 100 games was 1945.

BillyBall
8/28/2008, 03:29 PM
I'm supposed to go to the game tonight against the Phillies. It will be my 2nd rooftop game, good news is after I get tired of not being able to see the game I can watch the SC-NC State game inside.

tulsaoilerfan
8/28/2008, 03:36 PM

Schedule is much tougher now; 27 of last 29 against teams .500 or better; i could care less about 100 just give me that damn World Series Ring :D

tommieharris91
8/28/2008, 03:55 PM
I'm gonna be really afraid if the Cubs get the Diamondbacks in the NLDS. They have good pitching that stops the Cubs offense with Webb, Haren and Johnson. They also have Cub-killer Adam Dunn, and they always give the Cubs trouble.

bri
8/29/2008, 09:33 AM
F*cking great game last night. The Cubs couldn't get anything done through seven, then get all explode-y in the home half of the 8th with a leadoff homer, a double, a single, a walk, and a go-ahead grand slam that never had a doubt.

I'm starting to think maybe this is our century, after all. :D

Magic number - 23

BillyBall
8/29/2008, 09:38 AM
and a go-ahead grand slam that never had a doubt.

That ball still hasn't landed, Ramirez crushed it.

bri
8/29/2008, 09:49 AM
My favorite part was the centerfielder who took, like, two steps and then just stood there going "Ah, f*ck it."

tommieharris91
8/29/2008, 10:18 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~bcvm22/cubs/8282008.mp3 audio

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200808283383777&c_id=chc video

kbsooner21
8/29/2008, 11:28 AM
Awesome!!!!

Mjcpr
8/29/2008, 01:48 PM
That was a great win, especially since Hamels pwns us.

tulsaoilerfan
8/29/2008, 06:41 PM
F*cking great game last night. The Cubs couldn't get anything done through seven, then get all explode-y in the home half of the 8th with a leadoff homer, a double, a single, a walk, and a go-ahead grand slam that never had a doubt.

I'm starting to think maybe this is our century, after all. :D

Magic number - 23

That was one of the longest home runs i've seen to that part of the park in a long, long time; i can't believe it only went 390 feet must have been a breeze blowing in

bri
8/29/2008, 06:50 PM
Another come-from-behind win today.

Magic number - 22

StormySooner-IN
8/29/2008, 07:53 PM
In!

tommieharris91
9/1/2008, 04:23 PM
Magic number down to 21 with today's Brewers loss.

bri
9/1/2008, 05:54 PM
Big ups to the Mets for lowering our magic number for us while we're busy losing. We looked absolutely feeble today. :mad:

tulsaoilerfan
9/1/2008, 06:19 PM
Big ups to the Mets for lowering our magic number for us while we're busy losing. We looked absolutely feeble today. :mad:

Actually the Cubs have looked bad the last 5 games; only Ramirez and a questionable umpire's call kept us from being swept by the Philies at home. :mad:

bri
9/1/2008, 06:37 PM
Looking feeble and winning is way better than looking feeble and losing. Looking feeble and losing at this point in the season has me wanting to find a goat to kick.

tommieharris91
9/1/2008, 06:58 PM
I'm definitely worried about Lee and Fukudome.

tulsaoilerfan
9/1/2008, 09:19 PM
I'm definitely worried about Lee and Fukudome.

I wish Lee would close his stance up; he's having a hard time catching up to good fastballs and i think this would help his timing more; Fukudome needs to find a place on the bench for a while; play Footnote on second and put DeRose in right; pitchers adjusted to him a long time ago, yet he seems unwilling to make the adjustment he needs to make to start hitting the ball to the opposite field

bri
9/2/2008, 11:09 PM
This is f*cking intolerable. The Cubs make a furious comeback to tie the Astros at 7 tonight, then have golden chances to push across the winning run in the 8th and 10th innings, only for Lee to choke nice and hard when the team needed him the most. Ramirez committed a pair of errors late, but neither did any damage. Still, Houston got the big hit we couldn't muster, and now the only solace I have in the midst of our free-fall is that the Brewers are choking just as hard as we are.

F*ck it all. :mad:

tommieharris91
9/2/2008, 11:32 PM
I'm getting pretty tired of Lee in the 3 spot now. Hoffpauir didn't see any action for whatever reason. It was pretty poorly managed game too.

bri
9/2/2008, 11:38 PM
We we got the walk to load the bases in the 8th, I thought to myself "Great, but Lee will just ground into a rally-killing double play. And if we don't score here, we're gonna lose this game."

It was one of the rare times I hate being right.

tommieharris91
9/2/2008, 11:48 PM
And to top off this great game, Zambrano says his arm hurts and he's gonna see a doctor tomorrow per Lou in his post-game press conference.

bri
9/3/2008, 06:55 AM
Game over, man. Game over.

F*ck. :mad:

tommieharris91
9/3/2008, 09:55 PM
Hmm, Cubs run their losing streak up to 5, Zambrano apparently skips his MRI today and wasn't in uniform tonight, but Milwaukee and Philadelphia both lost today, so we're that much closer to the division title and a guaranteed playoff spot. Lou doesn't know what, if anything, is wrong with Harden, either. I dunno what to think.

bri
9/3/2008, 11:02 PM
I think that somewhere out there, the ghosts of a drunk and his goat are laughing their *sses off, the sorry motherf*ckers. :mad:

tulsaoilerfan
9/4/2008, 07:10 PM
I'm getting pretty tired of Lee in the 3 spot now. Hoffpauir didn't see any action for whatever reason. It was pretty poorly managed game too.

Does Lee EVER come through in the clutch? He's the AROD of the NL IMO:mad:

tulsaoilerfan
9/4/2008, 07:12 PM
I think it's pathetic that Lee only has 78 RBI's in the 3 hole; he should be at 100 with all the runners that are on base when he bats.

tommieharris91
9/4/2008, 10:20 PM
Meanwhile, Milwaukee keeps crapping the bed. Cubs magic number is down to 18 because they dropped one to the Padres today. They're still 5 games back.

bri
9/4/2008, 10:23 PM
I was talking to a Cards fan tonight and we were both bemoaning and/or taking solace in the fact that all of the top teams in the Central are sucking in a great way right now.

If we manage to hang on to the division and make the playoffs, they're gonna have to retire the phrase "backing in to postseason play". No one will ever come close to what the Small Bears From The Windy City are doing right now. :eek:

tommieharris91
9/4/2008, 10:32 PM
If we manage to hang on to the division and make the playoffs, they're gonna have to retire the phrase "backing in to postseason play". No one will ever come close to what the Small Bears From The Windy City are doing right now. :eek:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/2006.shtml

http://www.baseballrace.com/races/MLB-2008-NL_West-Normal.asp

http://www.baseballrace.com/races/MLB-2008-NL_West-Normal.asp

bri
9/4/2008, 10:59 PM
I have no idea what any of that means, but it's cool as f*ck. I guess?

tommieharris91
9/4/2008, 11:03 PM
I have no idea what any of that means, but it's cool as f*ck. I guess?

Meh, it's the best I could do to find recent mediocre teams and races. The Cubs have already passed the win totals of all three of those teams.

Anyway, the 2006 NL West winner was 82-80.

Collier11
9/5/2008, 12:12 AM

It really is sad being a cubs fan isnt it

Collier11
9/5/2008, 12:14 AM
Meh, it's the best I could do to find recent mediocre teams and races. The Cubs have already passed the win totals of all three of those teams.

Anyway, the 2006 NL West winner was 82-80.

The only thing that matters is who has the trophy at the end, after watching my Cards blow a 100 win season in 2004 and get swept in the ws ill gladly take a 83 win season that includes a ws title!!!

tommieharris91
9/5/2008, 12:22 AM
The only thing that matters is who has the trophy at the end, after watching my Cards blow a 100 win season in 2004 and get swept in the ws ill gladly take a 83 win season that includes a ws title!!!

Every Cub would take a WS title too. I certainly don't care how we get it.

bri
9/5/2008, 07:09 AM
Does anyone else enjoy that fact that in a thread about the Cubs, it's the Cards fan that has to take solace in the past?

r5TPsooner
9/5/2008, 08:43 AM
Luckily the Brewers are on there own losing streak as well. The Cubs picked a good time to get the losses outta their system.

Collier11
9/5/2008, 10:22 AM
Does anyone else enjoy that fact that in a thread about the Cubs, it's the Cards fan that has to take solace in the past?

We arent out of it this year although we are very close, my point was that it doesnt matter how many wins you have, we won 83 in 06' and still won the WS and had over 100 in 04' and got swept

Sooner98
9/6/2008, 01:36 AM
6 losses in a row. WTF? I know there's virtually no chance we don't make the playoffs, but this shouldn't even be a question by now. Home field advantage in the playoffs will be crucial this year - the friendly confines will make a world of difference, but even a 4 game lead with 3 weeks to go is never safe, especially with 6 more games with the Brewers head to head. They'd better figure things out and quick, or I'll be, well, a Cubs fan. :D

tulsaoilerfan
9/6/2008, 01:34 PM
6 losses in a row. WTF? I know there's virtually no chance we don't make the playoffs, but this shouldn't even be a question by now. Home field advantage in the playoffs will be crucial this year - the friendly confines will make a world of difference, but even a 4 game lead with 3 weeks to go is never safe, especially with 6 more games with the Brewers head to head. They'd better figure things out and quick, or I'll be, well, a Cubs fan. :D

It would be nice to be winning so maybe Zambrano and Harden both could get more rest to be ready for the playoffs

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2008, 02:21 AM
Finally the streak endeth tonight, although the bullpen stunk it up big time; special thanks to Soriano, DeRosa, Lee, and Marquis

tommieharris91
9/7/2008, 03:23 PM
That was terrible. Wood takes a 3-1 lead into the 9th and blows it. Tons of poor defense in that inning, too. Cedeno had a DP ball and booted it. But we can thank the Brewers for losing another one to the Padres.

tulsaoilerfan
9/7/2008, 04:37 PM
That was terrible. Wood takes a 3-1 lead into the 9th and blows it. Tons of poor defense in that inning, too. Cedeno had a DP ball and booted it. But we can thank the Brewers for losing another one to the Padres.

Why was Cedeno even in the game? Theriot was pulled in the 6th i believe; Cedeno is a ****ing horrible player that shouldn't even be in the majors:mad:

bri
9/7/2008, 09:50 PM
Ah, this sucks so hard it's awesome. Never been prouder to be a Cubs fan. :D

tommieharris91
9/9/2008, 10:00 PM
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa250/soulschizm/kitten_die1.jpg

Collier11
9/9/2008, 10:30 PM
My Cards are just trying to give me blue ballz

illinisooner
9/10/2008, 03:16 PM
The Cubs will show what they're made of these next few weeks: Games against St. Louis, New York, Houston, and Milwaukee...most of them on the road. All of those teams are in the thick of the playoff race, so it should be an exciting final couple of weeks, depending on your definition of excitement. I still think it'll be the Cubs and Brew Crew out of the central, but as Andujar once said, "youneverknow."

bri
9/10/2008, 04:24 PM
Magic number - 14.

Come on, Brewers! You just have to lose 14 more games to get us the division!!

kbsooner21
9/10/2008, 04:46 PM
Need a win tonight!!! Big time

tulsaoilerfan
9/10/2008, 10:18 PM
Got the win, but i'm really, really, really concerned about Kerry Wood

Collier11
9/10/2008, 10:58 PM
I will gracefully say that the Cards are done now, we gave it a shot and just didnt have enough. Not bad for a team that was supposed to be last in the division this yr, if only mgmt had nutted up and got us some bullpen help

tommieharris91
9/10/2008, 11:13 PM
I will gracefully say that the Cards are done now, we gave it a shot and just didnt have enough. Not bad for a team that was supposed to be last in the division this yr, if only mgmt had nutted up and got us some bullpen help
The Astros passed the Cardinals tonight.

bri
9/10/2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, but they'd need a time machine to lose more than Pittsburgh. :D

Collier11
9/10/2008, 11:43 PM
The Astros passed the Cardinals tonight.

Yea it is depressing, hopefully we can get back to atleast 3rd...it is really depressing though to think that if we had only blown 20 saves instead of 30 we would be right in the middle of the race, makes me wonder what mgmt was thinking :confused:

tommieharris91
9/11/2008, 12:03 AM
Hurricane Ike could affect the next series at Houston. The Astros expect to make a decision tomorrow.

bri
9/11/2008, 07:03 AM
What's the big deal? Just close the roof and PLAY BALL!! :D

Magic number: 13.

Mjcpr
9/11/2008, 10:18 AM
Got the win, but i'm really, really, really concerned about Kerry Wood

Considering Wood's outing the night before and Lilly's pitch count of, what, 82 pitches?.....it was dumb to pull him last night for Wood. THANKFULLY, it didn't bite us but it was damn close.

tommieharris91
9/11/2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1158214,cubweather091108.article

tulsaoilerfan
9/11/2008, 05:25 PM
Screw Houston, let's play this series in Wrigley :)

tommieharris91
9/11/2008, 06:54 PM
And to top this mess off, tonight's game will likely be rained out as well.

kbsooner21
9/11/2008, 11:41 PM
Woodrow!!!! Wooohoooooooooo

tommieharris91
9/12/2008, 12:31 AM
Woodrow!!!! Wooohoooooooooo

Uhhh... today was Dick Harden.

Magic number - 11

tulsaoilerfan
9/13/2008, 04:42 PM
Any word on when the Houston games will be made up? I don't see how they can play tomorrow in Houston either

tommieharris91
9/13/2008, 04:48 PM
I keep hearing about plans to play games in Milwaukee, but nothing is official. There's also a rumor that the series could be played in Arlington.

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/blog/18

tommieharris91
9/13/2008, 09:38 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080913&content_id=3470587&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

bluedogok
9/13/2008, 10:03 PM
I just got this email from the Astros.

================================================== =====================
ASTROS NEWS
================================================== =====================
ASTROS VS. CUBS SERIES MOVED TO MILLER PARK DUE TO HURRICANE IKE

Major League Baseball announced tonight that two Houston Astros games against the Chicago Cubs will be moved to Milwaukee's Miller Park because of the impact of Hurricane Ike on the Houston area. The games will be played at 7:05 PM on Sunday (Spet. 14) and 1:05 PM on Monday (Sept. 15).

If necessary, the third game in the Astros-Cubs series would be played on Monday, Sept. 29 at Minute Maid Park, if playoff implications exist.

For those fans holding tickets to the Astros-Cubs games at Minute Maid Park that have been moved, information with regards to the refund or exchange of those tickets will be released early next week.

tommieharris91
9/14/2008, 09:00 PM
Umm, Z is REALLY dominant right now...

bri
9/14/2008, 09:02 PM
Yeah, good to see him back on form.

I had to quit watching after four innings, though. I got tired of the constant bitching and whining by the Astros' announcers. "Wah, wah, wah, not fair, wah, wah, wah, wild card, wah, wah, wah, blah" Next time, don't have a hurricane during the season, assjockeys.

tommieharris91
9/14/2008, 09:12 PM
You might wanna turn it back on...

tommieharris91
9/14/2008, 09:26 PM
CARLOS ZAMBRANO NO HITTER!!!!!!

bri
9/14/2008, 09:33 PM
Holy f*ck, I switched off a no-hitter. Fail. :D

I turned the TV back on in time to hear one of the FSN Hooston c*cksuckers say "We will never know how this game would have turned out had it been played in Minute Maid Park..." F*ck you, asscock. F*ck you and your fading backdoor playoff hopes. :mad:

bri
9/14/2008, 09:37 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2035/2598337097_cf01aec4b7_o.gif

tommieharris91
9/14/2008, 09:37 PM
Holy f*ck, I switched off a no-hitter. Fail. :D

I turned the TV back on in time to hear one of the FSN Hooston c*cksuckers say "We will never know how this game would have turned out had it been played in Minute Maid Park..." F*ck you, asscock. F*ck you and your fading backdoor playoff hopes. :mad:

I think, by "fading backdoor playoff hopes," you mean 2 out of the wild card.

Meanwhile, the Cubs magic number is down to 7.

bri
9/14/2008, 09:42 PM
I know, I know, but they're having to make the miracle rally from WAY back in the pack to get this close, and they're running out of baseball.

Thus, you know, all the crying about losing home games against the division leaders. :D

tulsaoilerfan
9/14/2008, 10:18 PM
Jesus H, i sure wish i could have found this game with Len and Bob; all i heard from the 'Stros announcers the last 3 innings was wah wah wah, and even Cecil Cooper called the wahmbulance after the game; i understand and i feel sorry for all the people that were effected by Ike, but Cooper's whining showed a total lack of class.

tulsaoilerfan
9/14/2008, 10:18 PM
BTW, Z is back!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

bri
9/14/2008, 10:45 PM
"What would have happened if this game had been played in Houston?"

Um, you'd still suck?

Paperclip
9/15/2008, 03:11 PM
Lilly no hitting the 'stros through 6.

bri
9/15/2008, 03:13 PM
Boo-urns. It gets broken up almost as soon as you posted that.

JINXER!! :mad:

Paperclip
9/15/2008, 03:15 PM
That was the plan. :)

tommieharris91
9/15/2008, 03:20 PM
That was the plan. :)

**** off dip ****.

Mjcpr
9/15/2008, 03:27 PM
The Astros must still be tired of traveling and whatnot.

They walked from Houston, didn't they?

bri
9/15/2008, 03:31 PM
I think they shared an RV with 30 other refugees.

Think Milwaukee will try to keep them? :D

bri
9/15/2008, 04:02 PM
Hooray! 6-1 final!

Magic numbah - 6

tulsaoilerfan
9/15/2008, 06:08 PM
Speaking of Milwaukee, Ned Yost was fired today

tulsaoilerfan
9/15/2008, 06:08 PM
The Astros must still be tired of traveling and whatnot.

They walked from Houston, didn't they?

The way the announcers talked last night it sure sounded like it

bluedogok
9/15/2008, 07:32 PM
Well, it is ridiculous that games get moved to Milwaukee any time there is an issue, that would be like an OU-Colorado game in Norman being moved to Denver if something were to happen to Owen Field. Did it ever come out why they didn't play in Arlington?

If the field here in Round Rock (Astros Triple-A affiliate partly owned by Nolan Ryan and his sons) hadn't have been torn out right after the season to be repaired, it would have made more sense to play it there....and it was dry here, we could see the clouds on the other side of I-35 but none of the rain, only the humidity.

Sooner98
9/16/2008, 12:11 AM
Okay, I'm feeling a LOT more comfortable now than I was about a week ago. Magic number of 6 to win the division and 7 to clinch home field. Life is good for now. :)

tulsaoilerfan
9/16/2008, 09:39 PM
Astros lost tonight at Florida; wonder what the excuse for that one is?

tommieharris91
9/16/2008, 10:35 PM
Magic number - 4

bri
9/17/2008, 09:09 AM
Astros lost tonight at Florida; wonder what the excuse for that one is?

Being in the same city as the Hurricanes triggered their PTSD. They should have been allowed to play the game in Houston.

tulsaoilerfan
9/17/2008, 09:17 PM
Well the sure way to end a winning streak is to give the ball to Marquis; i sure hope he is left off the post-season roster if we make it.

bri
9/17/2008, 10:09 PM
Crap, and I was looking forward to being able to write "0" under "Cubs' Magic Number" on my whiteboard at work by the end of the week. :D

Sooner98
9/18/2008, 05:14 PM
Boo-yah, Cubs win in 12!

Magic Number for division = 2
Magic Number for home field = 4

tommieharris91
9/18/2008, 05:19 PM
I would like to thank Ryan Braun and Geovany Soto for today's win.

tulsaoilerfan
9/18/2008, 06:03 PM
Maybe Milwaukee should fire the players instead; somewhere Ned Yost is laughing his *** off. :)

tommieharris91
9/20/2008, 06:22 PM
In case you didn't know, the Cubs clinched the Central today.

tulsaoilerfan
9/20/2008, 06:24 PM
In case you didn't know, the Cubs clinched the Central today.

Yes, we know. :D Just the first step in what will hopefully be a magical journey:D

bri
9/20/2008, 07:59 PM
I watched the final inning in the break area at work, then loaded "Go Cubs Go" on my phone and walked around City Hall blasting it while we finished work.

Winning is teh win.

bri
9/21/2008, 08:52 PM
And now we're one more win away from homefield for the NL playoffs.

Once that's out of the way, the magic number is 11.

tulsaoilerfan
9/21/2008, 11:11 PM
And now we're one more win away from homefield for the NL playoffs.

Once that's out of the way, the magic number is 11.

LOL, i was thinking the same thing yesterday:D

bri
9/21/2008, 11:27 PM
I'm just waiting for a Cub hater to come along and say "No, the magic number is 1908". ;)

tommieharris91
9/22/2008, 12:14 AM
M3evzZSxKz4

Sooner98
9/22/2008, 09:38 PM
Home field is ours.

Now they just need to go rest up, and get healthy.

bri
9/22/2008, 10:34 PM

Home field, FTW!

StormySooner-IN
9/24/2008, 08:30 PM
Anyone on here watching now on ESPN? Go Cubbies!

trwxxa
9/24/2008, 09:34 PM
"What would have happened if this game had been played in Houston?"

Um, you'd still suck?

Let's see. The Astros lead the season series 9-8. I double checked and that is called SCOREBOARD!

tulsaoilerfan
9/24/2008, 10:05 PM
Let's see. The Astros lead the season series 9-8. I double checked and that is called SCOREBOARD!

Well i hope they enjoy that while sitting at home

tommieharris91
9/24/2008, 10:29 PM
http://new-york-mets.visit-new-york-city.com/ny-mets-3d-logo.jpg
=
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/fail-owned-child-safety-fail.jpg

bri
9/24/2008, 11:01 PM

Then you'd better be glad your suck squad faded down the stretch and won't have to play that third Ike game, or else you'd have to settle for going .500 against the back-to-back NL Central champs.

Thanks for playing, buh-bye.

Sooner98
9/24/2008, 11:05 PM
Let's talk first-round matchups: it looks like Philly and LA are going to win their divisions. If the Brewers capture the wild-card, the Cubs face the Dodgers first. If the Mets get it, then the Cubs play the Mets.

I'm almost inclined now to hope for a Mets matchup. The Dodgers have been playing well down the stretch, and I think the Cubs can really exploit the Mets' bullpen, as evidenced by tonight's game. Plus, the Brewers could be a scary playoff team, with Sabathia and Sheets on the mound, so I'd prefer they didn't make the playoffs at all.

BTW, why aren't they just resting Zambrano until next week? He's gotten abused his last two starts. I wonder if the effort put into that no-no took something out of his arm.

bri
9/24/2008, 11:15 PM
BTW, why aren't they just resting Zambrano until next week? He's gotten abused his last two starts. I wonder if the effort put into that no-no took something out of his arm.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3139/2886080449_9ebd2979d9_o.jpg

tommieharris91
9/25/2008, 01:32 AM
Let's talk first-round matchups: it looks like Philly and LA are going to win their divisions. If the Brewers capture the wild-card, the Cubs face the Dodgers first. If the Mets get it, then the Cubs play the Mets.

I'm almost inclined now to hope for a Mets matchup. The Dodgers have been playing well down the stretch, and I think the Cubs can really exploit the Mets' bullpen, as evidenced by tonight's game. Plus, the Brewers could be a scary playoff team, with Sabathia and Sheets on the mound, so I'd prefer they didn't make the playoffs at all.

The Mets ain't no good really, but I keep hearing Sheets might be out for the playoffs if the Brewers make it. We seem to hit Brewer pitching really well, but there's no way we can play them in the NLDS. The Dodgers, well, Manny helps them, but they're pen isn't that good either. If fact, their entire pitching staff is overrated.

Also, here are the likely game times depending on who clinches (in EDT):

Mets/Phillies win WC:
Game 1: Wed @ 1:30 or 3
Game 2: Thurs @ 1:30 or 3
Game 3: Sat @ 5 or 6:30
Game 4: Sun @ 7
Game 5: Tues @ 5 or 6:40

Brewers win WC:
Game 1: Wed @ 5 or 6:30
Game 2: Thurs @ 5 or 6:30
Game 3: Sat @ 8:30 or 10
Game 4: Sun @ 10:30
Game 5: Tues @ 8:30 or 10

So as cool as day playoff games in Wrigley would be, this schedule sucks for working people if the Mets make it.

And to top this off, there's a 95% chance of rain in New York on Thursday. :gary:

trwxxa
9/25/2008, 08:02 AM
Then you'd better be glad your suck squad faded down the stretch and won't have to play that third Ike game, or else you'd have to settle for going .500 against the back-to-back NL Central champs.

Thanks for playing, buh-bye.

Maybe one year the Astros will figure out the season starts in April and not in August.

You guys will tank one of the Milwaukee games this weekend to avoid the trip.

Good luck in the playoffs. All of the karma is being wasted on Milwaukee, which is who Bud was trying to save anyway.

Scoreboard ;)

tommieharris91
9/25/2008, 11:08 AM
Maybe one year the Astros will figure out the season starts in April and not in August.

You guys will tank one of the Milwaukee games this weekend to avoid the trip.

Good luck in the playoffs. All of the karma is being wasted on Milwaukee, which is who Bud was trying to save anyway.

Y'know, if your team decided to start winning again, and tonight's Cubs/Mets game gets rained out, the Cubs could be stuck playing 2 make-up games.

tommieharris91
9/28/2008, 09:27 PM
Playoff start times. (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3614651)