PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's top 10 QB's for 2008

tulsaoilerfan
6/21/2008, 04:31 PM
Saw it on this morning during one of the ESPN news segments, and the dude had Sam at number 3, but when they showed his highlights, they had the QB from Georgia instead; the guy caught it, but it wasn't corrected and i never saw any highlights of Sam; BTW, Tebow was 1 and Chase Daniel 2

IronHorseSooner
6/21/2008, 08:26 PM
Again, can someone please explain to me why Sam is behind Chase Daniel? He beat him twice, by double digits, and led the nation in passing efficiency. As well, why isn't Jermaine Gresham getting on more preseason lists? Didn't he lead the nation in TDs for TEs? And, third, why is Pig Moore considered better than Nic Harris?

tulsaoilerfan
6/21/2008, 09:07 PM
Again, can someone please explain to me why Sam is behind Chase Daniel? He beat him twice, by double digits, and led the nation in passing efficiency. As well, why isn't Jermaine Gresham getting on more preseason lists? Didn't he lead the nation in TDs for TEs? And, third, why is Pig Moore considered better than Nic Harris?

That's a damn good question; only reason i can even think of is the experience factor

IronHorseSooner
6/21/2008, 09:45 PM
Experience doesn't equal results. Maybe pundits are afraid that Chase will go 'roid rage on them!

FroggyStyle22
6/21/2008, 09:55 PM
They could just be showing caution after Colt McCoy had a less than stellar sophomore campaign following a great freshman year. I wouldn't worry, less hype equals less pressure... not bad IMO.

OU_Sooners75
6/21/2008, 10:06 PM

It is called media love.

Remember all the hype Brad Smith got from the media while at Misery?

The guy is probably factoring in a Sophomore Slump. So he wouldn't look a fool if he had him at #1 or #2 and had a slump.

I can tell you this much.

Chase Daniel, Tim Tebow, That RB from OSU, and Someone from USC will be the finalists for the Heisman. Daniel will probably win it, if he can duplicate last years success.

That kind of stuff is already been made up. The only thing the voters are waiting for now is performance.

OU_Sooners75
6/21/2008, 10:08 PM
They could just be showing caution after Colt McCoy had a less than stellar sophomore campaign following a great freshman year. I wouldn't worry, less hype equals less pressure... not bad IMO.

McCoy also had to deal with a entire OLine change his sophomore year, and the loss of his security blanket, the TE he had his freshman year.

Braford has the benefit of having his entire OLine back, two if his top WRs, the Nations best TE, and a stable of RBs that can start for any school in the nation.

bluedogok
6/21/2008, 10:17 PM
Missouri is known as a "journalism" school, they have a lot of alumni writing crap and showing them love.

tulsaoilerfan
6/21/2008, 11:02 PM
Colty was number 7 on that list

tulsaoilerfan
6/21/2008, 11:04 PM
Chase is a good college QB, but with this height he will struggle on Sundays; back up at best IMO

OU_Sooners75
6/21/2008, 11:34 PM
Chase is a good college QB, but with this height he will struggle on Sundays; back up at best IMO

Well, thank god the NFL has nothing to do with college football.

OU-HSV
6/21/2008, 11:38 PM
Chase is gay, colt is gay.
Sam is the sh*t...someday everyone will admit that....even the media

RADsooner
6/22/2008, 12:05 AM
Experience doesn't equal results. Maybe pundits are afraid that Chase will go 'roid rage on them!

or, flick a tasty green morsel on them!!!:cool:

E-Town
6/22/2008, 12:06 AM

I heard that eating boogers will stunt ones growth...just saying :D

KingBarry
6/22/2008, 03:16 AM
Chase is gay, colt is gay.
Sam is the sh*t...someday everyone will admit that....even the media

Ding Ding Ding -- We have a winnar! Best Post of the Year!

I will defend the media on Sammy, though. First, he's number 3 in the country. It's really pretty hard to call that a "dis." Second, Chase (little b***h that he is) IS the heart and soul of that team. Take him out and you can't see Mizzou having one of their greatest seasons ever, rolling to a No 1 ranking, and winning the North. You just can't do it.

Take Sammy out, and OU could still have been a three-loss team. That's par for the course for us.

Look, Tebow and Daniels are dynamic on field leaders and play makers. Sammy's reserved and in control. He's on the national stage. He'll get his chances to make his case.

Blitzkrieg
6/22/2008, 07:30 AM

Because he is better than Sam right now. He's a senior versus a sophmore, he should be better.

tulsaoilerfan
6/22/2008, 02:26 PM
Because he is better than Sam right now. He's a senior versus a sophmore, he should be better.

I don't see him as being better than Sam, even though he is a senior; you could make the argument that Mizzou doesn't have the playmakers that OU has on offense, but if that 's the case how did they win every game they played except against OU? The only things Chase does better than Sam are scramble and eat boogers. :D

JLEW1818
6/22/2008, 02:57 PM
Chase Daniel = 4th round draft pick. Sam Bradford = 1st round.

Charla
6/22/2008, 03:28 PM
The press knew that Chase would throw his little baby hissy fit if they didn't rate him #1 or #2. Maybe if Sam started wearing a DooDoo Rag he too could look as intimidating as Chase. There is only one ranking that matters anyway and they give that one out at the end of the year.

badger
6/22/2008, 04:15 PM
Sam Bradford ideas for media hype:

1- The sophomore without a sophomore slump!
Why your arguments are faulty: Tim Tebow just won the Heisman as a sophomore. There's no reason to factor in a "sophomore slump" after the first-ever sophomore Heisman winner. Oh, and Colt McCoy was exposed as mediocre. Ole Miss called! They have your real starting quarterback, texas! :D

2- The media keeps dissin him so the media should hype him instead on merit!
Why your arguments are faulty: The media disses everyone, it is a proven fact. Even ESPN jumped off the USC bandwagon after Stanford. "Merit pay" might work for teachers. It will not work with the media.

3- Sam Bradford beat Chase Daniel twice and he'll beat him again!
Why your arguments are faulty: Sam is on offense, whereas most of Daniel's screwups were against OU's defense... in fact, all of Chase Daniel's piggybacking on Curtis "The Man, #40" Lofton was on OU's defense.

4- Sam Bradford is the guy you can rebel against the Mizzou-pro media types with!
Why your argument is faulty: Where, exactly, was this pro-Mizzou media all these years when Miami, USC and the like reigned supreme on media hype and coverage? Oh, right... SUCKING. There is nothing to suggest that Mizzou will once again go undefeated until us in the Big 12 Championship game, unless you're of the mindset that "they went last year, they'll go again this year" mentality. If that's how you think, Texas Tech's gonna beat us again and THEY will be in that game!

I, however, am not of that mindset, and I believe the arguments presented in this thread are faulty. Not necessarily bad, but with fault, definitely.

Sam Bradford will have his work cut out for him. He also has a very capable backup waiting to take over at the first sign of disaster (remember, Stoops learned from Spurrier). Rather than questioning the Espen reports, perhaps the discussion should be how we are going to win the Big 12 Championship and what we're going to do once we've won it.

SoonerBOI
6/22/2008, 07:44 PM
No.11 - Zac "the hypeman contender" Robinson.:P

bluedogok
6/22/2008, 08:03 PM
I kinda prefer the team and its players fly "under the radar" a bit, they seem to play hungrier when they feel like they have been slighted. As we saw just last year in the two games against Mizzou and the bowl game. They play with an "edge" that doesn't seem to be there when they are suppose to be the front runner.

I also like when the Whorns get a whole bunch of hot air blown up their skirts and they get to thinking their excrement doesn't stink....it makes it all the better when you beat them.

soonerfan28
6/23/2008, 09:13 AM
Chase couldn't be Bradford's backup. The guy is not a leader. He's a crybaby and he'll never play on Sundays. He is in an offense that is built for him and isn't very verstile. The guy has some athletic ability, but when he has to play a powerhouse like us he folds everytime. This year teams will shutdown Maclin and they will shutdown Missouri. It's already been said, but McCoy had a slump because he was behind a rebuilt line and his best receiver wasn't fully healthy. Sam will not have that problem this year and even though he may not post the same numbers we will be a much improved team. I hope that Mizzou does win the North, so we can see the Daniel-Bradford matchup again.

RedstickSooner
6/23/2008, 12:29 PM
Chase Daniel = 4th round draft pick. Sam Bradford = 1st round.

I don't like equating NFL success or draft interest with ability.

By this metric, Wanker > Heupel.

Sure, eventual NFL success can help to validate your opinion of a player -- like when we argued with Tejas fans about the impact TH had on the D-line. Now that he's the highest played defensive tackle in the league, we have some supportive evidence that his lack of stats in college wasn't indicative of a lack of performance or ability -- it just meant other teams knew how good he was and gameplanned to neutralize him. And when you can tie up 2 or 3 players on the offensive side with 1 defensive player, you've already practically won the defensive fight.

Ardmore_Sooner
6/23/2008, 01:14 PM
I kinda prefer the team and its players fly "under the radar" a bit, they seem to play hungrier when they feel like they have been slighted.

I agree 100%

I hate going into the season with all the hype, it does nothing but seem to bring everything to a crashing end.

stoopified
6/23/2008, 05:19 PM
Again, can someone please explain to me why Sam is behind Chase Daniel? He beat him twice, by double digits, and led the nation in passing efficiency. As well, why isn't Jermaine Gresham getting on more preseason lists? Didn't he lead the nation in TDs for TEs? And, third, why is Pig Moore considered better than Nic Harris?All very good questions.especially why Sam is rated behind Booger Daniel

Curly Bill
6/23/2008, 06:13 PM
Booger Daniel is the flavor of the month. He put up a lot of stats, his team was finally better then dog shat, and he has what some in the media would call charisma (though I think he's just a turd). Well, like a turd, this love of Booger will come to pass.

Seamus
6/24/2008, 01:24 PM
The guy has some athletic ability, but when he has to play a powerhouse like us he folds everytime. This year teams will shutdown Maclin and they will shutdown Missouri.

OK, I'll play. Take a look at this schedule:

Aug. 30, 2008 Illinois
Sept. 6, 2008 SE Missouri St.
Sept. 13, 2008 Nevada
Sept. 20, 2008 Buffalo
Oct. 4, 2008 at Nebraska
Oct. 11, 2008 OK State
Oct. 18, 2008 at Texas
Oct. 25, 2008 Colorado
Nov. 1, 2008 at Baylor
Nov. 8, 2008 Kansas State
Nov. 15, 2008 at Iowa State
Nov. 29, 2008 Kansas

Who do you see on that sked shutting down Maclin and Missouri? What powerhouse do you see there? I see one strong chance for a loss (saxet) and maybe two other possibles, at most -- CU and KU. They'll rape Nebbish like a whole horde o' them maraudin' Visigoths.

That said, I really dislike Chase, but he's a good QB. Same with Colt. I despise saxet, but I admire Colt because that kid is a ****ing warrior.

Sam is The Man, without question. But that doesn't mean other teams cannot have good quarterbacks who play with heart (Colt in this case, not Chase).

badger
6/24/2008, 01:37 PM
Ok, Seamus, I'll play too - Illinois is on their schedule. Illinois beat Ohio State, who was in the National Championship game last season. Illinois nearly beat Missouri last season at a neutral site. Illinois played in the Rose Bowl and hung with USC for half the game before Ron Zook turned into his usual incompetent self.

Illinois will beat Missouri this time - Mizzou's overconfidence proved to be their weakness against us (twice).

TexasLidig8r
6/24/2008, 01:52 PM
All very good questions.especially why Sam is rated behind Booger Daniel

Because the perception is that Daniel has less talent on his team than Bradford has on his this year.

If you put Daniel on OU's team, with OU's talent, especially the offensive line, he is going to flourish. He progresses through his reads, checks off on the line more often, and is more adept at hitting secondary receivers.

You put Bradford on Mizzery's team and he is likely to have more issues. For example, the way Bradford locked on to receiver's last year and was not known for progressing through his reads. (Yes, I know.. he was a freshman and is likely to improve, but isn't that the point) would have resulted in more interceptions and fewer touchdowns especially on a team that doesn't have the line OU has.

To say Bradford is better than Daniel because OU beat Missery twice last year is fallacious and doesn't take into account the many other factors.

Seamus
6/24/2008, 02:09 PM
1. Illinois loses some major pieces to their puzzle, notably Mendenhall (huge, huge loss) and Leman. Missouri's losses are comparatively minor.

2. Ohio State was lame and a product of their weak schedule. They faced a decent team (Illinois) and lost. They faced a two-loss SEC team and got exposed (again).

3. USC depantsed Illinois. That was an absolute beatdown. I'm not sure why you would interpret being down 21-3 (with the 3 coming with :38 left) at halftime as "hanging with," however. Zook's boys played USC a little more respectably in the second, losing that half 28-14.

4. I think Missouri progressed more as the season went along, and I think they'll continue to ride that momentum into this season. That, combined with what Missouri returns, should be enough for a win over Illinois, also at a neutral site (in Missouri).

I'm no fan of Mizzou, but I'll be shocked if they aren't in the Big XII title game opposite, hopefully, us. It will be stunning to me if they have more than one loss before the title game.

Lott's Bandana
6/24/2008, 02:23 PM
I kinda prefer the team and its players fly "under the radar" a bit, they seem to play hungrier when they feel like they have been slighted. As we saw just last year in the two games against Mizzou and the bowl game. They play with an "edge" that doesn't seem to be there when they are suppose to be the front runner.

The hardest thing in the world to explain to someone who makes the "...what happened to you guys against Boise State and West Virginia?" comment.

BS is a tremendous head coach and has all the swagger and confidence in the world, which translates to his team and works well in big games that matter. What has been proven is that when OU is supposed to win, is expected to win, the coaches would seem completely disingenuous if they changed their demeanor becoming wary and defensive (and the team would as well)...therefore, the dull knife performances in bowl games. (sure, victories over BState and WV would have been grand, but to change the traditional OU over-confidence might MIGHT be messing with an otherwise damm well-proven formula)

Individually this applies as well and Blue's point is especially true for a sophomore coming off a tremendous season...keep the media coyotes at bay until they are playing catch-up, a la Jason Heisman.

soonerfan28
6/24/2008, 05:07 PM
OK, I'll play. Take a look at this schedule:

Aug. 30, 2008 Illinois
Sept. 6, 2008 SE Missouri St.
Sept. 13, 2008 Nevada
Sept. 20, 2008 Buffalo
Oct. 4, 2008 at Nebraska
Oct. 11, 2008 OK State
Oct. 18, 2008 at Texas
Oct. 25, 2008 Colorado
Nov. 1, 2008 at Baylor
Nov. 8, 2008 Kansas State
Nov. 15, 2008 at Iowa State
Nov. 29, 2008 Kansas

Who do you see on that sked shutting down Maclin and Missouri? What powerhouse do you see there? I see one strong chance for a loss (saxet) and maybe two other possibles, at most -- CU and KU. They'll rape Nebbish like a whole horde o' them maraudin' Visigoths.

That said, I really dislike Chase, but he's a good QB. Same with Colt. I despise saxet, but I admire Colt because that kid is a ****ing warrior.

Sam is The Man, without question. But that doesn't mean other teams cannot have good quarterbacks who play with heart (Colt in this case, not Chase).

I said when they play a powerhouse like us they fold everytime. Meaning that if they play a powerhouse he doesn't show up and then is a ****ing crybaby and acts like he gave us the game. The dude is not a leader. The statement about shutting down Maclin means that they no longer have the playmakers that they had last year. They still have Maclin and evrybody thinks that Coffman can step in and be the TE on every down, but with Rucker gone he'll have more pressure on him, so I don't think that he'll be that big of a factor this year. They have no proven RB and until they do they are 1 demensional. Even with Maclin last year Rucker and Franklin have been the most consistent receivers over the last 3 years. 3 Losses - Illinois, Texas, Kansas and Nebraska will be closer then people think.

okieslp
6/26/2008, 03:14 PM
I think none of this matters. At the end of the year, how many of us will be caught up in the early hype of this guy over that guy. Let's line up and let smash mouths for a season and see who's standing at the end. Then, MAYBE we can get an accurate picture of who was better than who. (or is it whom?)

I mean sports analysts live for the next high, being right before anyone else. To do this they have to throw out a ridiculously large amount of caca del toro to even get a single shred of accuracy.

Ha on them when in the end it is the mighty Sam standing above the melee holding THE trophy!

illinisooner
6/26/2008, 04:40 PM
Ok, Seamus, I'll play too - Illinois is on their schedule. Illinois beat Ohio State, who was in the National Championship game last season. Illinois nearly beat Missouri last season at a neutral site. Illinois played in the Rose Bowl and hung with USC for half the game before Ron Zook turned into his usual incompetent self.

Illinois will beat Missouri this time - Mizzou's overconfidence proved to be their weakness against us (twice).

I like your style! Let's not forget that Illinois played that whole game without Juice Williams at QB, who was out with a concussion after the first series. Mizzou picked off Illini backup Eddie McGee at the 1 with a minute to go (a TD and extra point would have won it for Illinois) and returned a fumble on the Mizzou 1 yard line 99 yards for a TD. Illinois lost their two best players in Mendenhall and Leman, but it's not like they'll be horrible...definite 8 or 9 win potential. Plus their game vs. Mizzou is a rivalry game (sort of) at a neutral site, so that levels the playing field slightly. I'm also a lifelong Illini fan, so I'm biased there.

I also see Mizzou's home date with the World's Most Powerful Offense as a bogey game...they could easily be surprised there. Mizzou is still the team to beat in the north, but they're not as good as last year. I think alot of teams got surprised by how good they were, especially Maclin. But now that other teams have an off season to gameplan and scheme, Mizzou won't have as good of a season. More teams go to the spread=more teams figure out how to stop the spread; this is why offenses come and go through the years. All this said...Mizzou still plays for the Big 12 title at Arrowhead in December, because no other north team is better.