PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Far East Russia!

TheHumanAlphabet
6/21/2008, 03:09 PM
Currently on Sakhalin Island for the next month :eek:! Mrs. THA ain't too happy. I'm hitting all our production sites and then doing some training in the main office in Yuzhno. For those people who don't know where this is, it is the long North - South island directly north of the Japanese island of Hokaido (?) where Sapporo is located. I am currently at the far north east end of the island north of Nogliki.

Yesterday, June 21, the sun was up from 4:00 am to about 10:30 pm. It was a bit cold, but at least it isn't winter. Working hard to make this place better from a operability and maintainability standpoint. Need to bring that gas and oil to all you beyonces!

This week go off shore, then later to the transport terminal. I am exhausted from the travels the last 4 months - I need some time off!

Oh and Chuck, saw your thread on security...I can't remember the last time I have had my stuff sniffed by security dogs in so long. Three seperate times I had my luggage checked by dogs and had to blow into a breathalyzer. And this was all on company transportation, at company sites after I checked in through security... Apparently, the Russians enjoy a bit of the hair of the dog and they have to keep vigilance...

soonerboomer93
6/21/2008, 03:21 PM
i know exactly where you are

how'd you get lucky enough to wind up in that **** hole?

have fun with all the wives who divored the marathon guys

TheHumanAlphabet
6/21/2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I here that many of the older divorced Rotators have got girlfriends here. Don't think I'll be hitting the discos or anything to meet up with them...

soonerboomer93
6/21/2008, 04:08 PM
yeah, when marathon had it a bunch of the guys got married apparently, then when marathon was bought out/kicked out/left or whatever happened the russian women divorced them because they didn't want to leave

Flagstaffsooner
6/21/2008, 04:20 PM
Did you fly KAL into there?:mad:

Chuck Bao
6/21/2008, 04:30 PM
Sounds interesting, THA. I've always wanted to visit Vladivostok, but I see that you're even further north than that.

I would have failed the breathalyzer. I've been known to drink a bit when traveling.

I'm glad my company isn't checking up on those drunken (hair of the dog?) brokers!

TheHumanAlphabet
6/21/2008, 06:08 PM
Did you fly KAL into there?:mad:

No, but they got me on KAL on the return, but that will change... You referencing KAL 007 or whatever the number was? I think that Yuzhno was the base of the Soviet fighter. Saw several abandoned in place old trailers and radar installations like an old SAM installation coming in.

Here's a hoot, this was my travel itinerary...

IAH-NRT Continental Boeing 777 - 13 hours
NRT-UUS Vladivostock Air TU-154 (old Russian tri-engine like 727) - 2.5 hours - I thought I time warped into the 1960s. Not a bit of plastic on this aircraft, all metal everywhere with a green formica finish on the counters and walls.
UUS - Nogliki Dash 8 - 2.5 hours
Nogliki - Site - Russian Mi-8 Helicopter, turned back due to fog midway.
Nogliki - Site - Monster Bus - 3.0 hours. Think and old US Army deuce type truck or a six-wheeled drive dump truck with the bed replaced for a box with bus seats and an intercom to the driver in a separate cabin. No suspension. I think my kidneys were bruised when I got to site. :eek:

StoopTroup
6/21/2008, 10:29 PM
Just the fact that so many of you know where and how to get to that place...

Lets just say...you all are very interesting....:D

http://www.whale.to/v/klunk.jpg

Scott D
6/21/2008, 10:31 PM
and how they all know where to find the vomen ;)

Rogue
6/22/2008, 08:36 AM
THA, how long is your gig in this place I had never heard of until this thread?

Sakhalin Island, Journey To Extreme Oil (http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_20/b3984008.htm)