PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever eaten here??

OU-HSV
6/21/2008, 09:49 AM
Mainly this is for Tulsa people, but maybe some of you others have visited Tulsa and eaten here.
Just curious, we're probably eating dinner there tonight w/some friends before we go to the Phantom of the Opera.

http://elguaposcantina.net/

PrideTrombone
6/21/2008, 09:55 AM
Never eaten there, but the same guy owns a lot of places on that corner.. McNellie's (my favorite bar and now there's one in OKC!!!), The Continental, and El Guapo's. From what I've heard about the other two places, I'm sure it'll be pretty good.

King Crimson
6/21/2008, 09:56 AM
the tacos appear to be real taqueria style--soft tortillas, carne, diced cilantro and onions. i give them credit for figuring out that authentic is simple, correct ingredients, and you don't have to melt a half pound of cheese on everything....or not all tricked up to be soulless upscale.

tacos are not too pricey even thought the place appears to be pretty "stylized". i go to a pretty authentic place here that's 1.99 a taco for asada, carnitas or adobado tacos (and they do have lingua). about the same $.

i'd give it a shot. why not?

StoopTroup
6/21/2008, 09:57 AM
Haven't been there but I did try to eat at Caz's the other day on the SO advice that the Chicken Fried Steak is the bomb.

I girl with the metal in her face was having a real hard time seating folks...we patiently waited and when she tried to sit us in the corner by the kitchen...we asked to be moved upstairs. She said she couldn't do it.

I never got the chance to try the CFS....:(

Looks like I never will either.

Dear Caz:

You need to hire some folks who aren't THC Challenged.

Sincerely,

ST

OU-HSV
6/21/2008, 09:57 AM
Never eaten there, but the same guy owns a lot of places on that corner.. McNellie's (my favorite bar and now there's one in OKC!!!), The Continental, and El Guapo's. From what I've heard about the other two places, I'm sure it'll be pretty good.

McNellie's is also one of my favorite bars. Just too expensive to go there often.
I've never eaten anything at McNellie's or The Continental though.

King Crimson
6/21/2008, 10:21 AM
Haven't been there but I did try to eat at Caz's the other day on the SO advice that the Chicken Fried Steak is the bomb.

I girl with the metal in her face was having a real hard time seating folks...we patiently waited and when she tried to sit us in the corner by the kitchen...we asked to be moved upstairs. She said she couldn't do it.

I never got the chance to try the CFS....:(

Looks like I never will either.

Dear Caz:

You need to hire some folks who aren't THC Challenged.

Sincerely,

ST

as a restaurant vet (a status is occasionally reprise at a friend of mine's place here in Boulder)....and i have fairly low esteem for eye-candy-"set the hip tone" of the joint hostess/waitstaff types.....but, if it's busy seating people can be tricky and sometimes the only table you get is the only one they've got. she may have been telling you the truth. she may be totally incompetent. either is possible.

restaurants will always try and seat you by the windows (so it looks busy and whatnot) and that kind of stuff is pure mind-game but sometimes all they got is all they got. you can't take it personally....it just happens.

don't be a wuss. if can't make a 2nd try for good CFS then what kind of flying dickwheel hillbilly are ya? :D

StoopTroup
6/21/2008, 10:26 AM
I know where to get a good CFS....

I just thought I'd see if Caz's was Teh Bomb.

She is totally incompetent.

We would have sat in the Bar if it had looked like you would have gotten some service.

My Buddy needed a little of the dog that bit him the night before anyway.

She just wasn't all there.

There were other folks who would come into the restaurant...stand there....watch her for about 2 minutes...then leave.

OU-HSV
6/21/2008, 01:58 PM
Holy crap. Just got to looking at their drinks a little closer on the menu, they have a $45.00 Margarita. Wow.

http://elguaposcantina.net/drink.php

OU-HSV
6/21/2008, 11:36 PM
Well, thought I'd update yall.
I had a StoopTroup moment w/the hostess.
I made reservations for 6 p.m., but for some reason they didn't write them down. We got there right on time, the hostess explained to me that there were no reservations for us so it would be 15 to 20 minutes, she says "will that be okay".
And I said "no not really, we're in a time crunch, that's the whole reason I made the reservations with you earlier today".
And she says, "well it will be 15 to 20 minutes anyways".
I said, "I need to speak to your manager".
The manager came out and after a brief, calm conversation. The manager told me the very next table would be ours. And sure enough 2 seconds later we were seated.
So we got that mess straightened out smoothly, great move by the manager.
Excellent food, great service (other than the hostess)..great "feel" if you like old buildings like McNellies. And the margaritas are the best I've probably ever had...they were terrific. After my 42 ounce margarita and my extremely large feast of a meal, it was hard to stay awake through the Phantom of the Opera, but I pulled it off and stayed awake.
So in closing ;) I highly recommend this place to anyone who has been thinking about trying it.

King Crimson
6/21/2008, 11:48 PM
42 oz marg, YEAH!!!!!

OU-HSV
6/21/2008, 11:56 PM
42 oz marg, YEAH!!!!!

Yeah it was nice. They also have like a 70 oz.
I figured my wife would've kicked my *** if I ordered a 70 oz. cause I would've slept through the whole Phantom,ha ha

Boomer.....
6/22/2008, 04:01 PM
I guess I'm a little too late for the conversation, but we went there on Cinco De Mayo. The food was very good and like HSV said, the margaritas are great. There is also a rooftop bar.

BudSooner
6/22/2008, 04:24 PM
I have not eaten there, but I did take a **** there.