PDA

View Full Version : Only One!!

Collier11
6/20/2008, 11:46 AM
The ESPN deal got me thinking, If you had a choice of one and only one person that represented the University of Oklahoma, the face of the program from start to finish who would it be, Bennie Owen, Switz, Wilkinson, a player, etc???

I would have to go with Wilkinson, this guy didnt begin the program, didnt make it good, but he did make it Great. He turned us into a national power and did it with respect. Most people still think of the 47 game winning streak as the greatest feat in college football to date and no one has gotten within 12 games of the record yet.

badger
6/20/2008, 11:52 AM
Only one?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UARRYr292ig&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UARRYr292ig&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
:D

Paperclip
6/20/2008, 11:57 AM
I agree with Wilkinson.

boomersooner28
6/20/2008, 12:14 PM
The first line of that video states it best..."Welcome to the house that Bud built"

bstuff1979
6/20/2008, 12:50 PM
There's been a fairly off-colored discussion going on over at Every Day Should Be Saturday about this over the week. Of course, saxeT fans are in favor of the little kid crying at the OU ut game. Even so, that's throwing a rock in a neighborhood of glass with some of the stuff on them (ie, Book'em horns and so on). For OU, I thought the wishbone would have been a solid pick as far as something iconic to associate with OU exclusively. As far as people, Wilkinson is a no-brainer. Switzer was/is great, but you can't deny that there's some baggage that goes along with it.

Collier11
6/20/2008, 01:58 PM
Thats a good point, alot of people do associate OU with the wishbone

Fugue
6/20/2008, 02:18 PM
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/highlander_connor.jpg

badger
6/20/2008, 02:49 PM
Further proof that there's only one... and imitation looks funny :D
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vJdVu1qqVg&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7vJdVu1qqVg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
For those that are laughing too hard to pay attention, Aggie lore includes...
1922, a legend is born
1939 (beating Tulane 14-13)
Paul "Bear" Bryant
John David Crow, 1957 Heisman
A&M 31, BU 30
Wrecking Crew
Woodside, McElroy, Richardson
Kyle Field, Home of the 12th Man
Lombardi Award, Dat Nyugen
November 24, 2006, Mike Goodson, 12-7

Include a crowd of whooping in the background and you've got it!

KantoSooner
6/20/2008, 03:43 PM
How about consideration for President Cross (?) who brought Bud to OU and who gave the institutional 'push' to build a football program that would lift the state out of a dustbowl, a depression and a war.
Bud may have executed, and all credit to him, but the conception came down from the top.

RedstickSooner
6/20/2008, 04:39 PM
How about consideration for President Cross (?) who brought Bud to OU and who gave the institutional 'push' to build a football program that would lift the state out of a dustbowl, a depression and a war.
Bud may have executed, and all credit to him, but the conception came down from the top.

Cross was also the one to utter the immortal words, "We want to build a university our football team can be proud of."

Sure, he was being cynical. Still, no truer words were ever spoken.

crimson&cream
6/20/2008, 08:23 PM
OU was the winningest team of the 70's and set all kinds of NCAA records with the wishbone won 2 NC's and Switzer's teams beat both Bo & Woody the hitman, teams in that decade, So shouldn't Siwtzer be the face of the 70's instead of Bo & Woody.
I think you can still vote.

bstuff1979
6/20/2008, 08:44 PM
OU was the winningest team of the 70's and set all kinds of NCAA records with the wishbone won 2 NC's and Switzer's teams beat both Bo & Woody the hitman, teams in that decade, So shouldn't Siwtzer be the face of the 70's instead of Bo & Woody.
I think you can still vote.

I think the probation induced TV ban has everything to do with Bo and that guy who coached at the other O state getting the nod over Switzer.

6/20/2008, 08:46 PM
Gotta go with Bud. He drew the line in the sand.

MyT Oklahoma
6/20/2008, 09:55 PM
Bud.

BoulderSooner79
6/20/2008, 10:03 PM
I'd go with Switzer because I think the 70's was the turning point for college football in terms of more competition. And regardless of the outcome of the Miami games, those mid '80s teams were dominant in yet another era. Miami just happened to be dominant as well. But I have no argument with Bud either. I don't think a player can be the face of OU football because they are just not there long enough for a program with such tradition.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/21/2008, 12:41 AM
It's gonna take someone to win 4 NC's or 48 straight games, to oust Bud from the throne!

Blue
6/21/2008, 01:12 AM
We need an intro video that pumps the whole crowd up. I'm thinking Rage Against the Machine. "Calm Like a Bomb!"

JLEW1818
6/21/2008, 01:53 AM
DERRICK STRAIT is above any sooner player in recent years, in my personal opinion.

StoopTroup
6/21/2008, 08:27 AM
Dat Nguyen has been caught wearing TRRW worn out jock straps.

Roy locks his gear up now.

Civicus_Sooner
6/21/2008, 01:10 PM
FYI - It was Bennie Owen that "Started OU's success."

I vote for the King!

Big Red Ron
6/21/2008, 01:38 PM
Barrah

goingoneight
6/21/2008, 01:50 PM
There's been a fairly off-colored discussion going on over at Every Day Should Be Saturday about this over the week. Of course, saxeT fans are in favor of the little kid crying at the OU ut game. Even so, that's throwing a rock in a neighborhood of glass with some of the stuff on them (ie, Book'em horns and so on). For OU, I thought the wishbone would have been a solid pick as far as something iconic to associate with OU exclusively. As far as people, Wilkinson is a no-brainer. Switzer was/is great, but you can't deny that there's some baggage that goes along with it.

They really should get over that after the picture of the grown man crying like a little baby after the 2006 loss to aggy in Asstin. You tell me what's worse, a kid crying or a grown man crying?

CRYING IS GARAGE!!!111!!11[hairGel]