PDA

View Full Version : New GI Bill headed to the Senate

Okla-homey
6/20/2008, 07:22 AM
Sailed thru the House yesterday. WH has indicated it will sign.

Bottomine: Up to $90K in college funds to anyone who serves honorably in one of the Armed Forces for three years. (except federal military academy grads because the thinking is, they already got theirs)

The government guarentees it will pay 100% of public college tuition and fees, plus a nice stipend to cover rent/housepayments/groceries. If the vet opts for a private college, his benefit is indexed to the most expensive public college in his state.

Also, and this is really cool, veterans we be able to assign their rights under this new GI Bill to their child. I've got about a years worth of education benefits left on mine so that's what I'll do.:D

...and just so no one gets their thong in a wad, its an earned benefit, not a gubmint hand-out.;)

olevetonahill
6/20/2008, 07:51 AM
So this is Retro ?

Bone
6/20/2008, 08:06 AM
It's sad that I did 8 years in the reserves and didn't get nearly as sweet a deal. I even had some extra benefits from being deployed.

JohnnyMack
6/20/2008, 08:52 AM
is this the one that mccain was opposed to?

Frozen Sooner
6/20/2008, 11:25 AM
A version was already passed by the Senate (with McCain abstaining while voicing his disapproval, stating that it would hurt retention) but the House and Senate weren't able to hammer out differences in the the conference committee.

Okla-homey
6/20/2008, 11:32 AM
I beleive it was. Many in DoD oppose it because they believe it will be bad for retention.

I'm undecided on that issue, mainly because about 80% of vets don't use these benefits, or don't use them at all.

Take your typical Joe. While he's prolly a HS grad, he may very possibly not be "college material." Either by ACT score, or desire. Thus, literally millions are left untapped. Now, he can use that benefit to go to welding school too, or other such vo-tech program, but most don't.

Okla-homey
6/20/2008, 11:34 AM
So this is Retro ?

No. I wish it were, because I'd have big bank coming. As it is, I get back the $1200.00 I had to invest to get on-board with MGIB. That money will be refunded to all payors. That, and my remaining benefit get bumped up and the aforementioned assignability.

Stitch Face
6/20/2008, 04:58 PM
(with McCain abstaining while voicing his disapproval, stating that it would hurt retention)

Hurt retention? I may have to stay in a couple more years now so my boy can get full use of mine! (It apparently expires 15 years after you separate.)

Scott D
6/20/2008, 05:00 PM
it's ok Homey, they'll take the funds they claim to earmark for this from the VA funds.

government playing look at the shiny object with those who serve the country again. they'll **** them over like always in some way.

Stitch Face
6/20/2008, 05:01 PM
As it is, I get back the $1200.00 I had to invest to get on-board with MGIB. That money will be refunded to all payors.

Really?? I hadn't read that. I paid the $1200 even though everyone said not to (docs can't use the MGIB for anything except flight classes, I think, since you can't use it to get a degree under your current one) in hopes that it would become transferrable to the kids someday. So they're supposed to give me them bucks back, now, if it passes?

Scott D
6/20/2008, 05:07 PM
don't worry stitch, they'll be sure to double tax you for it later. ;)

fadada1
6/20/2008, 06:54 PM
my GI bill $$$ ran out while i was in grad school. called up the office to see if i could write them a check for another $1200 to get beck the $25K+. unfortunately it didn't work, but the guy got a good chuckle out of it.

SicEmBaylor
6/20/2008, 07:04 PM
I don't have a problem with veteran's benefits, in general, but I have to agree with McCain that benefits should be awarded on a sliding scale according to years active and combat service.