PDA

View Full Version : Caravan in Houston last night

humblesooner
6/19/2008, 11:13 AM
I'll try to get as much in as I can remember while trying to get caught up at work.

Carl Pendleton was the MC. What a wonderful, class individual this guy is.
Also extremely funny. As he introduced Joe C, he mentioned that Joe's name was Joe "The Italian Stallion" Castiglione. Everyone broke up.

Joe C thanked all fans everywhere for their part in the success of the athletic department over the last 10 years. Needs donations for the new athletic dorms - get your checkbooks out.
Joe introduced Amanda Thompson, Cade Davis and gerald McCoy to the crowd. The he put them on the spot a little by playing talk show host. He asked what each of them would like to accomplish in the next 5-10 years, besides the obvious degree from OU. GK wants to be a Super Hero.
Those three seem to be outstanding citizens as well as athletes. We can be proud of them.

Capel was the next speaker. I am excited about the Men's BB team next year. He indicated that some have his recuriting class as high as top 5. I hope all the new guys can step in and contirbute next year. With Blake returning, it appears as if this may be the year to make something good happen. The Sooners play Rice in Houston this year Dec 22. Make your plans now. I wish Sherri, Jeff and Bob would play more games in Houston. He said that the Houston area is an area that he wants to recruit heavier in the future. Sherri echoed this comment later.

Sherri was next on stage. When introduced by CP, he said that the person he was introducing next was the envy of her peers because of her 6" stiletto heels. As did Capel, Sherri mentioned that she was truly the envy of her peers because of Joe C. She said that when they talk amongst themselves, all of her peers tell her how lucky she is to have Joe C. Her reply? "Yes, I am!!" Sherri is also pumped about the incoming freshmen. She said that the shooter (can't remember her name) is probably the purest shooter she has ever had a chance to watch - not just a Sooner, but any player she has watched. I think an outside threat was all they lacked last year. With the seniors this year, she may be the one to push them back to the top. Sherri mentioned that OU has won 9 of 14 B12 championships. She mentioned the trophies that they hand out. Then she said "We didn't get one last year...and we're ****ed about it". I like the attitude. Sherri is such a dynamic speaker.

Finally it was time for Bob. He was introduced by CP as Bob "I Can't Lose My Job" Stoops. Bob was speechless. He did not have a comeback for that. Bob had apparently done a radio interview earlier in the morning with Spencer Tillman. Seems like one question that Bob was asked was about the "Big Game Bob" moniker and if it seemed to have faded a little. Apparently Bob told Spencer that stuff like that was for guys like him (media) and that every game was a big game to him and his staff. Bob brought up the bowl games and said he wasn't afraid to talk about the bowl games, then he talked about everything but the bowl games. He did mention that we had several seniors graduating and had several juniors that knew they were leaving early and had some injuries. He said that there were some distractions and said only "We'll work on that". He did mention that we had several big games last year that turned out our way, the biggest of which was beating the #1 Missouri Tigers by 21 points on a neutral field.
Bob got on a soapbox a little about the media and the Big Game Bob stuff. He spoke at the Houston Touchdown Club at lunch, which I understand had some question and answer time to it. The impression I got was that he may have been questioned again about the bowl games there and was on the defensive early and often.
He spoke of the offense and commented that we return our entire O-line, 2 of three receivers, 2 of 3 tight ends, plenty of running backs and of course, Sam. He is not concerned about the O. He mentioned that the DB's had a great spring and he thinks they have the potential to be a special group. He said he felt the same way about the LB's, except that we are thin, depth wise. The players we have are good ones, we just don't have a lot. I don't remember him even touching on the D-line, we are obviously set there.
He is excited about the upcoming year and spoke of championships often. He mentioned that we have played for 6 B12 and have won 5. The next closest to us in Championships won is 2.

Joe Washington was in attendance and I fainlly got an autograph. He is a great guy as well.

Overall, Carl did a great job, I was excited by the coaches and Joe C speeches, and the athletes representing were top notch.

Rhino
6/19/2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the recap.

Sherri is also pumped about the incoming freshmen. She said that the shooter (can't remember her name) is probably the purest shooter she has ever had a chance to watch - not just a Sooner, but any player she has watched. Whitney Hand.

nqZemJGOaEU

badger
6/19/2008, 12:27 PM
Sounds like Tulsa's, except with more players and more Capel (who was sick and just out of the hospital I think when the Caravan came through).

Coale seemed to be a bit jet lagged when she was in Tulsa, but still fairly perky compared to other coaches, especially women's basketball coaches. Bob Stoops was also on his soapbox in Tulsa about the media and not winning the Fiesta Bowl.

Joe Washington was also in Tulsa and we got his 'graph. He said it was a blessing to not be in the hospital anymore. Bless his heart :D

KingBarry
6/20/2008, 03:57 AM
Sounds like Tulsa's, except with more players and more Capel (who was sick and just out of the hospital I think when the Caravan came through).

Coale seemed to be a bit jet lagged when she was in Tulsa, but still fairly perky compared to other coaches, especially women's basketball coaches. Bob Stoops was also on his soapbox in Tulsa about the media and not winning the Fiesta Bowl.

Joe Washington was also in Tulsa and we got his 'graph. He said it was a blessing to not be in the hospital anymore. Bless his heart :D

Look, I'm not going to criticize Bob Stoops football decisions, and I'm darn glad we've got him in Norman, but what does he expect? We go down to Glendale to take on a one-dimensional team, that had just painfully lost its coach, and was badly distracted-- and we get whacked by three TDs--people will ask questions. That's just the way it is.

badger
6/20/2008, 11:15 AM
Look, I'm not going to criticize Bob Stoops football decisions, and I'm darn glad we've got him in Norman, but what does he expect? We go down to Glendale to take on a one-dimensional team, that had just painfully lost its coach, and was badly distracted-- and we get whacked by three TDs--people will ask questions. That's just the way it is.

Reading between the lines, I would say that other people's opinions bother him too much.

Remember back o the season when everyone was complaining that we ran the ball up the middle too much? That we didn't do touchdown tight end enough? That we were scoring half a hundred often enough?

I think that by the end of the season, we had pulled every trick out of the book to impress the fans and, to an extent, the national media as well. When running over and over would suffice to beat the likes of Utah State, North Texas and the such, fans would not put up with that. I remember one in Tulsa that was yelling "Go Pokes!" because he thought our offense was boring like OSU's. I do not pay much attention to defensive schemes, but NP said he didn't think we disguised our defense too well during the regular season.

I think that this season, fans need to TRUST STOOPS and if necessary, print it on a t-shirt. There's a very good reason to not show off our offensive tricks during the season, even if that means watching a lot of running plays. There's a very good reason we rest our starters early on, even if it means we don't beat the spread.

This season, we need to have tricks left to pull for our bowl game. We need to let Stoops do his thing and not be up in arms when we lose a little vCash.

goingoneight
6/21/2008, 02:17 PM
I am beginning to think Arizona is a cure for anyone named "Stoops." :(

Solution: Get TFO of there and come back down Norman way.

I can't help but wonder how great it would be to have ended up like LSU in recent bowl games playing OUr last three right in OUr own back yard... say somewhere no futher than Tulsa or even OKC. You can't tell me that we wouldn't have had a more dominant showing. I'll give you that we still got pwn3d by SUC in OUr favorite bowl site, but they, too have played in Pasadena what... four of the last five years?

It's not always location-location-location, but you have to admit it would be interesting if one day Jerry World (Cotton Bowl) or something similar became a BCS Bowl site and OU made, say a five of six year post-season visit to the same stadium where OUr fans could easily dominate the crowd. It's still a BCS game, so it's still supposed to be the best team you play all year. You still need your starters, you still need your attitude and head in the right place, but how different would Oklahoma's perception be if the squeakers against LSU and Boise State were in a Norman-like environment? Would it be anything like playing Missouri both times last year?
Then again, you have to think that the last two games didn't mean much to the players, that plays a big role in the percieved "choke job" as well. We tend to play like the best team in the nation when motivated to do so.

JLEW1818
6/21/2008, 02:55 PM
I just find it hard to get pumped up if your a big name team and your not playing in the BCS championship. Again stupid system.

oupride
6/21/2008, 08:24 PM
I got to talk to Joe Washington one-on-one. It was the highlight of a terrific evening for me!