PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Plays of the new Century?

OU_Sooners75
6/18/2008, 06:48 PM
Jeff Ferguson taking a safety after the long snap went over his head, with 55 seconds left in the 2001 Orange Bowl. Clinching the 7th National Title for Oklahoma, our first in 15 years.

(on a sad note, it has already been 7 years since we won that one.)

OK2LA
6/18/2008, 07:37 PM
Jeff Ferguson taking a safety after the long snap went over his head, with 55 seconds left in the 2001 Orange Bowl. Clinching the 7th National Title for Oklahoma, our first in 15 years.

I don't know if that would make the top 10 plays of that game - let alone top 100 of the Greatest plays of the new century. Us taking a safety would not make my list period.

goingoneight
6/18/2008, 11:35 PM
Strait's broken up pass over the middle to me is what said no way FSU has a snowball's chance in hell of winning. That play was a thing of beauty.

Calmus stripping the ball out of Wanker's hand for TRRW to recover in the redzone was awesome also.

I have a DVD and Brad Nessler and Bob Griese talked about how FSU's defense was "virtually inpenetrable just before Q marched into the endzone wide open. :D

Then there was Marshall's interception to give his boy the ball back.

Ontei Jones was a straight up pimp all night long out there knocking the crap out of Bell (I think that was the RB's name that got pw3d on the screen), picking off Wanker's final pass and covering every kick and punt to perfection.

Let's not forget Josh's excellent fake draw play when he hit the WR wide open up field. The look on FSU fan's faces was hilarious... they were like "isn't OUR quarterback supposed to be making those Heisman-kinda plays?"

Oh yeah, and there was Marhsall talking the utimate sh*t during the coin toss and standing by his word.

God I loved that game.

KantoSooner
6/19/2008, 08:23 AM
Yes, that whole game, but honorable mention should go to Murray's return, Superman and Lofton's strip of Baja Oklahoma in the RRS in 2007.

and probably many,many more. When I consider those poor benighted people who root for other teams, it makes me all the more grateful to have been born a sooner fan.

bstuff1979
6/19/2008, 08:46 AM

While that play is much more noted and will be as far as history goes, I think the better play was the following year against Air Force when he juked the punt-rush and still got the punt off. On the whole, I think the greatest play would be Roy Williams Superman. Distant 2nd contenders: Renaldo Works against Bama and White to Bradley in the 4thq of the '04 A&M game.

soonerinabilene
6/19/2008, 10:15 AM
Torrance's int return against a&m. Without a doubt, that play is why we played for the title that year.

After that, Superman, White to Bradley against a&m, the fake punt and then play action bomb in Bama, Murrays hurdle and td against Texas last year, and the blocked punt against nebraska in '00.

yermom
6/19/2008, 10:24 AM
i'm pretty partial to White's audible's into the Option to Q in the Superman game

the fake FG against Mizzou in 02

Bradley's bobble-catch and run for the TD at OSU

TheUnnamedSooner
6/19/2008, 10:52 AM
I always thought Woolfolk's catch against neb in '00 was incredible.

Boomer.....
6/19/2008, 11:02 AM
It's hard to beat the Superman play.

tbl
6/19/2008, 11:23 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/ot/01_greatest_wins_2000s.html

Is anybody else getting strange quality on the vids? It's like the colors are negatives...

bstuff1979
6/19/2008, 12:02 PM
I think I need to supplement my vote for the greatest play(s) with any play that was run out of the Ninja.

OK2LA
6/19/2008, 02:00 PM
While that play is much more noted and will be as far as history goes,

It was a "good - head's-up play" by him - no doubt about it. But even if they score there - the score is 13-7. They still have to recover an onside kick, and score again. Neither of which they had done all day against us to that point.

I think that it is more of an "un-heralded play" as opposed to "greatest play of the new century.":pop:

SoonerDomiNation
6/19/2008, 06:45 PM
To me the best play was the Marshall interception against aTm you talk about a big time play when we needed it wowwwwwwww. Altho the Superman play was a very very very close second.

Eielson
6/19/2008, 06:56 PM
I always thought Woolfolk's catch against neb in '00 was incredible.

Yeah, but wasn't that at the end of '99?

Wasn't the Marshall TD in '99 also?

Eielson
6/19/2008, 06:57 PM
Man, I really want to say that Marcus Walker TD in the Fiesta Bowl. Too bad he didn't step out of bounds. :(

Sooner24
6/19/2008, 08:02 PM
Yeah, but wasn't that at the end of '99?

Wasn't the Marshall TD in '99 also?

Slowly step away from the keyboard and put down the crack pipe. :eek:

AllAboutThe'O'
6/20/2008, 02:33 AM
Man, I really want to say that Marcus Walker TD in the Fiesta Bowl. Too bad he didn't step out of bounds. :(

But there was no guarantee that we would have taken the lead had that happened. We might have fumbled on offense or botched the potential game-winning field goal. If you've got a chance to take the lead, you've got to do it and Walker did the right thing by scoring.

OU_Sooners75
6/20/2008, 04:15 AM
I don't know if that would make the top 10 plays of that game - let alone top 100 of the Greatest plays of the new century. Us taking a safety would not make my list period.

Here is why it is on mine. And maybe, just maybe it is because I look at it in a different manner of just giving up points.

Yes this gave them 2 points and took away the shut out, but it saved us from possibly giving up a very short TD and having to defend against an onside kick. Ins tead we give them two points. Punt the ball from the 20 yard line making them have to take deeper shots down the field than they were comfortable with. This in return held them to ZERO offensive points.

OU_Sooners75
6/20/2008, 04:20 AM
Yeah, I did forget about the Marshall INT agianst A&M. What a wonderful play.

Sooner Schemer
6/20/2008, 07:25 AM
Woolfolk's catch against Nebraska and Marshall's interception against A&M, both in 2000, were great plays without doubt.

But they were in the 20TH century.

KingBarry
6/22/2008, 03:27 AM

We haven't won a championship in a measely seven years, and we're p****d.

It ROCKS to be OKLAHOMA.