PDA

View Full Version : The Greek House

SleestakSooner
6/18/2008, 06:38 PM
One of Norman's best places to grab a good meal and the home of the best Greek food in central Oklahoma is up for sale. The owners have been running their little restaurant for nearly 30 years at the campus corner location and are returning to Greece to retire.

They will be greatly missed and the ability to find gyros worth eating will be terribly diminished. :(

Fraggle145
6/18/2008, 06:42 PM
One of Norman's best places to grab a good meal and the home of the best Greek food in central Oklahoma is up for sale. The owners have been running their little restaurant for nearly 30 years at the campus corner location and are returning to Greece to retire.

They will be greatly missed and the ability to find gyros worth eating will be terribly diminished. :(

Ive been hearing this for the last 3 years are they actually gonna do it this time? Hopefully, whoever gets it keeps it as the Greek House. That place is the ****.

47straight
6/18/2008, 08:41 PM

proud gonzo
6/18/2008, 08:49 PM
yeah, it's been for sale for a long time, i think.

Soonerus
6/18/2008, 09:15 PM
Yes, it is way over-priced...

47straight
6/18/2008, 10:18 PM
Yes, it is way over-priced...

The restaurant, not the gyros! :D

Soonerus
6/18/2008, 10:21 PM
The restaurant, not the gyros! :D

Correct, reportedly just for the goodwill (because they do not own the building) they are wanting at least $ 650,000.00...

OUWxGuesser
6/18/2008, 10:51 PM
crap... border crossing gone and soon Greek House? :/ I heard they were taking the recipes with them???

6/18/2008, 10:53 PM
If I were Pink Floyd, I'd randomly neg you for liking gyros.

That's a shame. I always enjoyed The Greek House back in the day.

mdklatt
6/19/2008, 12:42 AM

Neg OUWxGuesser instead for liking Border Crossing. :D

mdklatt
6/19/2008, 12:44 AM
I heard they were taking the recipes with them???

How much "recipe" is there to a gyro? I assume they're not making their own cylinders of "Greek meat".

6/19/2008, 01:21 AM
I think in involves Ceasar dressing, cucumbers and a log of sheep meat.

Mmmmmm.... sheep meet.

Taxman71
6/19/2008, 09:06 AM
Don't forget just the right amount man-sweat dripping on the meat log for extra tenderness and spice.

For the record, I am only talking about gyros.

Boomer.....
6/19/2008, 09:27 AM
Neg OUWxGuesser instead for liking Border Crossing. :D

They did have good queso though.

scotplum
6/19/2008, 10:03 AM
Really sad to hear this as Greek House is a gameday tradition. I will say, I went to Zorbas in OKC last night and the gyro dinner was very similar. At least I can get my gyro fill there when needed.

yermom
6/19/2008, 10:16 AM
How much "recipe" is there to a gyro? I assume they're not making their own cylinders of "Greek meat".

my understanding is that they order them custom

if there wasn't something special about them, people wouldn't pine for them when they leave town :D

when i get gyros somewhere else it's always a let-down

Boomer.....
6/19/2008, 10:17 AM
When exactly is it supposed to close?

OUWxGuesser
6/19/2008, 10:25 AM
Neg OUWxGuesser instead for liking Border Crossing.

Hah! I won't try and explain myself... Los Dos Amigoes and Border Crossing got most of my business.

yermom
6/19/2008, 10:26 AM
i liked Border Crossing, but didn't go there often

apparently they have their salsa at The Vista now

kbsooner21
6/19/2008, 10:32 AM
Really sad to hear this as Greek House is a gameday tradition. I will say, I went to Zorbas in OKC last night and the gyro dinner was very similar. At least I can get my gyro fill there when needed.

Where is Zorba's located?

Taxman71
6/19/2008, 11:21 AM
i liked Border Crossing, but didn't go there often

apparently they have their salsa at The Vista now

Surprising, considering the worst thing about Border Crossing was their salsa....err chopped tomatos in water. That place really went downhill fast after the smoking ban took effect, but I miss their steak and enchiladas with green chili sauce.

Partial Qualifier
6/19/2008, 01:01 PM
Los Dos Amigos, btw, has upgraded their menu and the interior of their restaurant a little bit. That Rancho lunch special with red sauce and shrimps = win

Oh and I know it's not the same, yada yada but Pita Pit's gyros are better than greek house :O

Sooner_Havok
6/19/2008, 01:05 PM

That's a shame. I always enjoyed The Greek House back in the day.

How could you tell if he negged you? Hell, all he should have is gray

mdklatt
6/19/2008, 01:12 PM
Oh and I know it's not the same, yada yada but Pita Pit's gyros are better than greek house :O

Greek House lives on its reputation as much as the actual quality of the food. It's tasty and all, but every gyro I've ever had from anywhere else--including the State Fair--tastes pretty much the same. The gyros from other places don't make me feel bloated for four hours though. Maybe that's the "authenticity" people always talk about?

Boomer.....
6/19/2008, 01:17 PM
I have tasted some bad gyros. The Greek House is up there with some of the better places.

Fraggle145
6/19/2008, 01:28 PM
...Oh and I know it's not the same, yada yada but Pita Pit's gyros are better than greek house :O

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pita pit sux. Chain food < Mom and Pop food everytime.

yermom
6/19/2008, 02:28 PM
i kinda like Pita Pit

but PQ is crazy

have you watched Office Space yet?

silverwheels
6/19/2008, 03:59 PM
Ate there last Thursday. Girl at the counter was cute. Gorgeous eyes and a nice butt. Hopefully she stays here. :D

SanDiegoSoonerGal
6/19/2008, 11:13 PM
Uh, okay I am a proud grad of the OU English department and therefore it should come as no surprise to anybody that I'm not that great in math, but as I calculate it you guys are saying this restaurant has been there in the Campus Corner area since 1978? Yet I don't remember any Greek restaurant there. The only Greek restaurant I remember in Norman during my time at OU in the 80s was the Greek House on Main just off Porter/Classen.

I'm baffled, can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Edited to add: and the last time I was in OK I drove by there and it looked abandoned.

mdklatt
6/19/2008, 11:47 PM
Edited to add: and the last time I was in OK I drove by there and it looked abandoned.

Well, the place we're talking about is on the west side of Jenkins, just a little bit north of Boyd. It seems like the owners frequently went back to Greece for extended vacations in the summer, so maybe that's when you saw it? As far as I can remember, it's been there since I got here in 1992.

yermom
6/20/2008, 12:28 AM
Uh, okay I am a proud grad of the OU English department and therefore it should come as no surprise to anybody that I'm not that great in math, but as I calculate it you guys are saying this restaurant has been there in the Campus Corner area since 1978? Yet I don't remember any Greek restaurant there. The only Greek restaurant I remember in Norman during my time at OU in the 80s was the Greek House on Main just off Porter/Classen.

I'm baffled, can anyone help me out? Thanks.

that place isn't bad, it actually has a menu... it's called Old Town Gyros and Kebabs or something

the gyros aren't as good as the Greek House though

as far as i know, they are both still open

Boomer.....
6/20/2008, 08:21 AM
No, she is talking about the old Greek restaurant, which is closed down now, actually on Main just west of Porter. I think it was the 2nd or 3rd business from the corner. They had good Gyros also.

sooneron
6/20/2008, 08:39 AM
I remember eating there back in HS - 84ish-85. Those are my earliest memories of the belches...

Luckily, I can jump on a subway and head to one of the largest Greek communities if I get the desire for a Gyros.

soonerbrat
6/20/2008, 08:49 AM
I think in involves Ceasar dressing, cucumbers and a log of sheep meat.

Mmmmmm.... sheep meet.

for future reference that's called "mutton"

but i thought gyros were made with lamb

King Crimson
6/20/2008, 09:01 AM
it's tsatsiki, not Caesar dressing. yogurt and/or sour cream based sauce with dill. Caesar dressing is made with raw eggs, oil, parmesan cheese, and traditionally anchovies. additionally, for fun, the Caesar salad was invented in the US, it's not really an italian dish.

gyros are usually made/imported at least in the US with a lamb and beef mixture. you are more likely to find all beef than all lamb....though, lamb is the traditional gyro.

my fave Greek House memory was a girl who worked there, Jeni. Summer of 90 maybe. that was a good summer. good times.

SleestakSooner
6/20/2008, 09:22 AM
Los Dos Amigos, btw, has upgraded their menu and the interior of their restaurant a little bit. That Rancho lunch special with red sauce and shrimps = win

Better as in less fattening? I hope that's what you meant. After spending a year on the island of Crete I can tell you that The Greek House does gyros the way they are originally supposed to be done. When I walk in that restuarant, it's like I went through a portal right back to Greece.

Taxman71
6/20/2008, 09:28 AM
Actually, the best gyros are served at the food pavillion at the texas state fair.....partially due to eating them on OU-texas gameday after a few beers, but mostly b/c of the young Greek girls serving them up.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/20/2008, 10:13 AM
for future reference that's called "mutton"

but i thought gyros were made with lambA lamb is just a baby sheep.

Jimminy Crimson
6/20/2008, 04:49 PM
Never ordered a gyro from Pita Pit, but I'd assume they're more expensive than the Greek House.

Sooner_Havok
6/20/2008, 05:00 PM
Never ordered a gyro from Pita Pit, but I'd assume they're more expensive than the Greek House.

and less tasty

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/20/2008, 05:08 PM
It's a lot fayncier.

SoonerInKCMO
6/20/2008, 05:25 PM
cylinders of "Greek meat".

Three pages and no one has touched this yet? :confused:

Jimminy Crimson
6/20/2008, 05:36 PM
and less tasty

That's a given! :texan:

King Crimson
6/21/2008, 01:17 AM
the gyro meat at the Pita Pit in my burgh are presliced and very thin. too thin. it's OK at best. nothing special. the key at PP is to ask for romaine lettuce instead of the pre-bagged, shredded iceberg crap. it's a pita with gyros meat....i'm not sure i'd call it a "gyro". their olives are awful and tsatiski tastes more like ranch than tsatsiki. but, it's edible. the place is about 500 yards from my house. so, it or the overpriced pizza joint are deece for some late night eats. i'll get a PP gyro from time to time....though the philly steak pita with the grilled mushrooms and peppers is better.

yermom
6/21/2008, 01:46 AM
Three pages and no one has touched this yet? :confused:

tell us where the Greek man touched you...

OUbones
6/21/2008, 05:15 AM
"It puts the lotion on the skin or it gets the hose again!"

TheHumanAlphabet
6/21/2008, 03:18 PM
Greek House lives on its reputation as much as the actual quality of the food. It's tasty and all, but every gyro I've ever had from anywhere else--including the State Fair--tastes pretty much the same. The gyros from other places don't make me feel bloated for four hours though. Maybe that's the "authenticity" people always talk about?

MD...I'm wondering if that bloated feeling comes from the piles of meat they put into the Greek House gyros? Most gyros taste the same, however, I have never had as large a sandwich as I used to get at the Greek House. As a student, I could count on two meals with the sandwich...

My Greek place in Houston, barely puts any meat in theirs, and that seems typical for down here...

Animal Mother
6/21/2008, 03:53 PM
My friend that has lived in Norman since way before I moved away in 1997 was talking to the owners. They told him they were moving back to Greece. He said really, you're closing down? They said yes SOMEDAY.Didn't sound imminent to us and I just left there for Ponca City at 10am today. I'll be going there Monday to eat lunch and I'll ask them. I used to live across the street in that three story house so their gyros are part of my DNA.

SanJoaquinSooner
6/21/2008, 05:46 PM
Well, the place we're talking about is on the west side of Jenkins, just a little bit north of Boyd. It seems like the owners frequently went back to Greece for extended vacations in the summer, so maybe that's when you saw it? As far as I can remember, it's been there since I got here in 1992.

Is this the place that also had the great european style pastries?

Rhino
6/22/2008, 12:11 AM
We ate there tonight for the first time in about a year.

We've recently been on the quest to get healthier and, ugh, my body is not agreeing with gyros right now.