PDA

View Full Version : Tiger is Done For the Year

Mjcpr
6/18/2008, 11:28 AM
Season ending knee surgery and a double stress fracture. Bummer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=3450453

BarryBnds
6/18/2008, 11:31 AM
What a little whiny bitch. Tell Chuck Bednarik you can't play because of a bum knee.

frankensooner
6/18/2008, 11:32 AM
I never realized how dangerous golf can be. Watch out Hairy.

Boomer.....
6/18/2008, 11:37 AM
That sucks!

Newbomb Turk
6/18/2008, 11:39 AM
so much for TV ratings.

Fugue
6/18/2008, 11:49 AM
What a little whiny bitch.

Tiger or Pat? :texan:

GrapevineSooner
6/18/2008, 12:37 PM
To think, he was listed with an 'upper body injury' for much of the U.S. Open.

:D

r5TPsooner
6/18/2008, 12:39 PM
Jesus H!!! The world's best golfers can't even beat him when he has a freakin stress fracture in his leg.

BTW, I'm a Phil Mickelson fan but I believe it's time to quit comparing him to Tiger or any of the greatest golfers in the world from long ago. He couldn't even hold Walter Hagen's jock strap.

Okla-homey
6/18/2008, 12:43 PM
I hear tell a guy around here once hit a hole-in-one despite a deviated septum, a bad cavity and an ingrown hair on his buttocks.

just sayin'

John Kochtoston
6/18/2008, 01:11 PM
Jesus H!!! The world's best golfers can't even beat him when he has a freakin stress fracture in his leg.

This guy is the best athlete of a generation. And I really can't stand golf. Jordan can suck it.

Partial Qualifier
6/18/2008, 01:41 PM
The golf events Tiger played with the bum leg:

Event Finish Money
WGC-Bridgestone Invitational Won $1,350,000
PGA Championship Won $1,260,000
Deutsche Bank Championship 2nd $522,667
BMW Championship Won $1,260,000
Tour Championship Won $1,260,000
Target World Challenge Won $1,350,000
Buick Invitational Won $936,000
Dubai Desert Classic Won $417,000
WGC-Accenture Match Won $1,350,000
Arnold Palmer Inv'l Won $1,044,000
WGC-CA Championship 5th $285,000
Masters 2nd $810,000
U.S. Open Won $1,350,000

Pwn3d.

And that's about 13 Million Dollars in prize money alone... obscene! :eek:

mikeelikee
6/18/2008, 02:38 PM
What a shame. And what a gutty performance, not just this past week, but he played for almost a YEAR with a torn ACL! I'm also a Phil Mickleson fan, but watching him pull a "Tin Cup" on #13 Saturday only rekindled my suspicion he just doesn't have the right stuff between the ears for sustained greatness. Hell, I'll be surprised if he can catch Tiger in the Fed Ex Cup race, even though Tiger's done for the year!

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 02:47 PM
This guy is the best athlete of a generation. And I really can't stand golf. Jordan can suck it.
Definitely "most dominant in his sport." With his hand-eye coordination, he would probably have been successful in a number of other sports too. Baseball comes to mind. Maybe basketball. Maybe a football skill position. Darts or billiards.

But to say he's "the best athlete of a generation" is impossible to prove, one way or the other. We heard that same argument when Lance Armstrong was dominating. Sure, those guys would likely be great at other sports that require some skill crossover, but would Tiger have been a great quarterback? Or point guard? Or running track athlete? Or soccer or hockey player? Who's to say?

I think the only guys who have a legitimate argument as "best athlete" are guys who dominate in multiple sports or disciplines, like Jim Thorpe (not the golfer) did. Dion Sanders and Bo Jackson certainly weren't the best ever at their respective sports, but the fact that they succeeded on a high level in two major league sports is impressive. Frankly, I'm a lot more comfortable calling Tiger "most dominant athlete of a generation."

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 02:49 PM
Oh, and the guys who are probably the best all-around athletes as far as combining conditioning with speed with strength with skill are guys like soccer players or water polo players, and I don't think anybody is going to make an argument for any of them to be named best athlete in the world, unless you're talking Pele during his prime.

6/18/2008, 03:18 PM
With his hand-eye coordination, he would probably have been successful in a number of other sports too. Baseball comes to mind. Maybe basketball. Maybe a football skill position. Darts or billiards.

Why do you hate bowling?

Yeah, I can only imagine he would be good at most anything he tried. He seems to be doing ok with golf, though. I had the opportunity to meet Jack Sr. a few years ago and asked him what he thought about Tiger. He said that "He is really playing well right now. But golfers go through their ups and downs."

What do you think NOW, JACK?

proud gonzo
6/18/2008, 03:23 PM
Oh, and the guys who are probably the best all-around athletes as far as combining conditioning with speed with strength with skill are guys like soccer players or water polo players, and I don't think anybody is going to make an argument for any of them to be named best athlete in the world, unless you're talking Pele during his prime.ronaldinho

KC//CRIMSON
6/18/2008, 03:50 PM
I'm appalled this thread wasn't moved to the General Sports Forum.

jkjsooner
6/18/2008, 04:23 PM
Oh, and the guys who are probably the best all-around athletes as far as combining conditioning with speed with strength with skill are guys like soccer players or water polo players, and I don't think anybody is going to make an argument for any of them to be named best athlete in the world, unless you're talking Pele during his prime.

Well, I bet most of the world would not only consider a soccer player but would almost require it be a soccer player. We are a little American centric in the way we look at sports. We make a greatest athletes of the 20th century list and only put a handful of soccer players on there and probably no cricket or rugby players.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not soccer or cricket fan. I just wish we would preface our lists with "Greatest American Athletes" and if we wanted to include a Pele then "Greatest Athlete from the American Perspective." Somehow recognize that there is a whole world of sports out there that we don't play.

That being said, soccer is overrated when it comes to athleticism as I would define it. A perfect sport would have each of the following as key criterias:

1. Speed and Quickness
2. Strength and Power
3. Hand/eye coordination
4. Mental toughness
5. Conditioning

As I see it, soccer (outside the goalie) has nothing for #3 and very little of #2 (except maybe some lower body power to generate hard kicks).

I wonder if David Beckam could even catch a tennis ball if I threw it at him...

And don't tell me about hand/foot coordination. That is a skill that only exists for soccer and definitely does not translate to real world situations. (Sport was created to train for and simulate the real world afterall.)

John Kochtoston
6/18/2008, 04:28 PM
Definitely "most dominant in his sport." With his hand-eye coordination, he would probably have been successful in a number of other sports too. Baseball comes to mind. Maybe basketball. Maybe a football skill position. Darts or billiards.

But to say he's "the best athlete of a generation" is impossible to prove, one way or the other. We heard that same argument when Lance Armstrong was dominating. Sure, those guys would likely be great at other sports that require some skill crossover, but would Tiger have been a great quarterback? Or point guard? Or running track athlete? Or soccer or hockey player? Who's to say?

I think the only guys who have a legitimate argument as "best athlete" are guys who dominate in multiple sports or disciplines, like Jim Thorpe (not the golfer) did. Dion Sanders and Bo Jackson certainly weren't the best ever at their respective sports, but the fact that they succeeded on a high level in two major league sports is impressive. Frankly, I'm a lot more comfortable calling Tiger "most dominant athlete of a generation."

I think I'm pretty much in agreement, in that you're defining athlete as "most athletic" as opposed to "most skilled." And yours is probably the better definition. Since I'm talking this generation (admittedly hard to define, but I'm pretty sure even the most generous definition of "generation" would not put Tiger and Jim Thorpe in the same group), I don't think we can compare Thorpe to Tiger.

Tiger, though, just beat most of the world's best golfers on one leg. That feat alone would put him above Jackson and Sanders, IMHO.

Scott D
6/18/2008, 04:51 PM
I'm appalled this thread wasn't moved to the General Sports Forum.

seriously, it's existed in the south oval for over 5 hours now.

Scott D
6/18/2008, 04:53 PM
I think I'm pretty much in agreement, in that you're defining athlete as "most athletic" as opposed to "most skilled." And yours is probably the better definition. Since I'm talking this generation (admittedly hard to define, but I'm pretty sure even the most generous definition of "generation" would not put Tiger and Jim Thorpe in the same group), I don't think we can compare Thorpe to Tiger.

Tiger, though, just beat most of the world's best golfers on one leg. That feat alone would put him above Jackson and Sanders, IMHO.

Bo Jackson made a MLB all-star team with an artificial hip.

Steve Yzerman went to an all star game, won a gold medal and a stanley cup on an entirely replaced knee (surgery usually reserved for old people).

we could go on and on with athletes who should have called it a day before they accomplished a major goal.

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 05:43 PM
Personally, I would put Muhammad Ali in his prime up against just about anyone as greatest athlete. I don't think there is much more fundamental competition than standing toe-to-toe, mano-y-mano, and either beating a dude down or having your own face caved in. Meets all criteria outlined by jkjsooner (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2319770#post2319770).

He fought before the game was totally corrupted. There might have been better all-around boxers at other weights, but I doubt they could have stuck in for 15 rounds with Cassius. Even in his case, the true dominance was fleeting.

Scott D
6/18/2008, 05:45 PM
seriously, it's existed in the south oval for over 5 hours now.

btw it's still sad that it lasted for 6 hours, maybe it shoulda just stayed in the south oval ;)

Scott D
6/18/2008, 05:46 PM
Personally, I would put Muhammad Ali in his prime up against just about anyone as greatest athlete. I don't think there is much more fundamental competition than standing toe-to-toe, mano-y-mano, and either beating a dude down or having your own face caved in. Meets all criteria outlined by jkjsooner (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2319770#post2319770).

He fought before the game was totally corrupted. There might have been better all-around boxers at other weights, but I doubt they could have stuck in for 15 rounds with Cassius. Even in his case, the true dominance was fleeting.

it's argumentative that it wasn't totally corrupted long before then. corruption in boxing (and the olympics) is what led to his self searching that ended with him joining the Nation of Islam.

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 06:01 PM
Well, I DID say "before the game was totally corrupted."

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 06:02 PM
btw it's still sad that it lasted for 6 hours, maybe it shoulda just stayed in the south oval ;)
Heck, I didn't move it. The SO needs all the help it can get in the off-season.

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 06:48 PM
I knew I could count on you.

Mjcpr
6/18/2008, 06:52 PM
I've done my part by hardly posting there, what more do you want?

:D

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 06:56 PM
Oh, I don't know... ...how about putting your money where your mouth is and posting something funny like you used to? Seems like if it were worth the effort of hanging out here and griping, it might be worth the effort to actually try to add something to the mix. I know you have it in you.

Mjcpr
6/18/2008, 07:00 PM
I posted on the SO a minute ago and I'm sure it was hilarious, settle down. And there has been far more whining in this and the US Open thread about moving things out of the SO than what I contributed. I haven't said a whole lot about the SO, positively or negatively, in some time.

And I thought we were supposed to take these sort of issues to PMs?

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 07:01 PM
What type of issues? Complaints about the board? You're right. You shoulda done it in a PM.

Mjcpr
6/18/2008, 07:03 PM
Complaint? Yours? I only responded to your comment/complaint.

I'm not arguing with you about this. I don't especially care and I've seen enough of your arguments to know that it's going to take up a whole lot more of my time than I'm willing to give it.

I'll just delete my post, problem solved.

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 07:07 PM
Fantastic. Thanks for your help.

Scott D
6/18/2008, 07:10 PM
for the record, I wasn't complaining in this thread, I was being sarcastic :)

looks like the way the SO is headed though, may as well start compartmentalizing everything so that factions on the board can be redrawn along the lines of extracurricular interests ;)

Scott D
6/18/2008, 07:16 PM
Well, I DID say "before the game was totally corrupted."

perspective my friend...perspective.

some believe a sonny liston couldn't become the champ without corruption. some think the first louis schmeling fight was fixed. you could argue the time it took for jack johnson to get a serious shot at the title as corruption...etc.

the bigger difference now is that boxing is completely open about it's moral bankrupcy.

BigRedJed
6/18/2008, 07:21 PM
Hence "totally." Guh. ;)

Scott D
6/18/2008, 07:25 PM
meh, it was totally crooked back then...the mob just wasn't as obvious about it :D

Jerk
6/18/2008, 07:38 PM
Tiger Woods is amazing.

That's all I have to say.

r5TPsooner
7/18/2008, 09:48 AM
Honestly, it'll be nice seeing someone else win a major but not having him in the tournament and Mickelson stinking it up in majors like he has the last two years make me wish he were playing.

Go Greg Norman!