PDA

View Full Version : I never want to hear Bryant mentioned in the same sentence as Air Jordan again!!!

Big Red Ron
6/17/2008, 10:48 PM
This Laker team is more talented than MJ's Bulls team that won the first three of his six Championships and Kobe was a no show. Dude quit, ended the game on the bench of a 40 point whoopin. Quitter!

Furthermore, Magic Johnson's lakers were better than this Celtic team.

K. Bryant shall never be compared to M. Jordan, EVAR!

BarryBnds
6/17/2008, 11:23 PM
This Laker team is more talented than MJ's Bulls team that won the first three of his six Championships and Kobe was a no show. Dude quit, ended the game on the bench of a 40 point whoopin. Quitter!

Furthermore, Magic Johnson's lakers were better than this Celtic team.

K. Bryant shall never be compared to M. Jordan, EVAR!

Holy crap!!!! We agree!!!!

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2008, 11:27 PM
Kobe will have nightmares about Paul Pierce for a while

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2008, 11:28 PM
I agree this Lakers team has a lot of talent, but it's a bunch of soft talent; they need to bring in some toughness next season to compete with the Celtics and the Pistons

soonerhubs
6/18/2008, 08:04 AM
I agree this Lakers team has a lot of talent, but it's a bunch of soft talent; they need to bring in some toughness next season to compete with the Celtics and the Pistons

Maybe Fisher can convince the owners that he needs to be released from his contract because a "special" surgeon for his daughter lives in Boston.

Big Red Ron
6/18/2008, 08:09 AM
Maybe Fisher can convince the owners that he needs to be released from his contract because a "special" surgeon for his daughter lives in Boston.Oooh, burn, it took me a sec, kinda early. I feel ya! ;)

Eielson
6/18/2008, 11:08 AM
Umm, you just mentioned Bryant and Jordan in the same sentence.

badger
6/18/2008, 11:21 AM
HOLD ON! Let's count the ways that Kobe is LIKE Jordan rather than point out the obvious ways he is not.

1- Can only win a title with Phil Jackson as a coach.
2- Has no need for centers.
3- Has on-again, off-again relationship with wife.
4- Can only win titles when two other titles immediately follow.
5- Fans chant M-V-P when shooting free throws.
6- Likes to take game winning shots.
7- Likes to hog the ball.
8- Fans will forgive any and all faults because Nike tells them to.
9- Has a foreseeable future in golf courses across the country.
10- Makes untalented players around him look better than they really are.*

* Evidence shows that Scottie Pippen was not any good after no longer teaming with Jordan, as evidenced by failure seasons in Houston and Portland. The same will eventually be said about one Luke Walton and several of the current Lakers roster.

BarryBnds
6/18/2008, 11:29 AM
2- Has no need for centers.

Huh?!?!? Kobe has won exactly what without the greatest center of his time?

8- Fans will forgive any and all faults because Nike tells them to.

Kobe is with Adidas.

10- Makes untalented players around him look better than they really are.*

* Evidence shows that Scottie Pippen was not any good after no longer teaming with Jordan, as evidenced by failure seasons in Houston and Portland. The same will eventually be said about one Luke Walton and several of the current Lakers roster.

I think evidence can also show that without Shaq, Kobe is just a chucker (in my best Costanza voice).

PDXsooner
6/18/2008, 11:40 AM
I wouldn't say Pippen failed in Portland -- he took them to a game 7 of the western conference finals where they were up 15 in the fourth (and admittedly choked) against the lakers

stoops the eternal pimp
6/18/2008, 11:43 AM
He makes Luke Walton better? Luke averages 10 pts per game over his career in the regular season, and a little over 5 pts per game in the playoffs...so without Kobe he would go for 5 and 2?:D

stoops the eternal pimp
6/18/2008, 11:44 AM
BTW, I think comparing Kobe to Roger Clemens would be better...2 players who excel in meaningless games and disappear when something is on the line

Eielson
6/18/2008, 12:13 PM
BTW, I think comparing Kobe to Roger Clemens would be better...2 players who excel in meaningless games and disappear when something is on the line

That would make sense if "disappearing" didn't mean that he only scored 25 points a game. You guys wanted him to have 40 point games every night? Even Jordan didn't do that and he didn't face half the defense that Kobe was facing this series.

Eielson
6/18/2008, 12:29 PM
I believe somebody said that this Lakers team was more talented than the Bulls.

The Bulls finished the season after Jordan left with 55 wins, with Jordan the year before they had 57 wins. Doesn't sound like much of a difference to me.

Also, Pippen would have been great without Jordan. The year after Jordan "retired" he was 3rd in MVP voting. He averaged 22 points, 8.7 rebounds, 5.6 assists, and lead the league in steals. Thats some pretty good offense, but Phil Jackson says he was the best defensive player that he ever had. I read one of his books and he said that Pippen had the power to send players out of the game because they were messing up on defense.

Big Red Ron
6/18/2008, 12:55 PM
Umm, you just mentioned Bryant and Jordan in the same sentence.
I said again, dill hole and there is no doubt that the 1991 Bulls weren't as talented, as a team as these Lakers.

Big Red Ron
6/18/2008, 12:59 PM
That would make sense if "disappearing" didn't mean that he only scored 25 points a game. You guys wanted him to have 40 point games every night? Even Jordan didn't do that and he didn't face half the defense that Kobe was facing this series.How about 4 points in the 4rth quarter of game 5? How about not taking over the game and carying his team as Jordan did over and over.

There is no comparison, that's the point.

Kobe is a good player, no doubt but will never win a Championship without Shaq. Kobe is like Wade or Pippen, not one of the 20 best ever.

badger
6/18/2008, 01:01 PM
Huh?!?!? Kobe has won exactly what without the greatest center of his time?

Kobe is with Adidas.

I think evidence can also show that without Shaq, Kobe is just a chucker (in my best Costanza voice).

Time for BarryPwnds to be enlightened...

1- Kobe forced both Phil and Shaq out. Kobe felt that he didn't need a center. I think we can all agree that a center is necessary, otherwise it wouldn't be a main position in basketball, but like Jordan, Kobe had no need for centers.

2- Kobe used to be with Adidas at the beginning of his career. You know, back when we was 18 and still in the slam dunk contest :rolleyes: He has since moved to Nike, here is photographic proof:
http://www.espn.go.com/media/pg2/2005/0727/photo/kobead_275.jpg
They signed him just before the legalities of whether sex was rape or consentual. This is where he infamously said that he "Should have just done what Shaq does" and pay off the women so they don't talk. Nike stuck with him and this was the first ad campaign they had after this whole mess - on the left is what the detractors say, followed by what he will do to silence them. For example: "You can't win a title on your own; Run 50 lines." "You'll never be MVP; Shoot 50 3-pointers." The Nike logo is in the bottom right. If you visit Nike's site, Kobe is on there.

3-Your best evidence may show otherwise, but my best evidence here shows Kobe scoring 81 in a game (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dailydime-060123) and winning the league MVP (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/8220/kobe_wins_mvp,_proves_hes_indeed_a_human)this year. But, I'd be happy to see your evidence on how Kobe "is just a chucker."

I would also point out that I never claimed Luke Walton et al to be stars with Kobe, but rather, they wouldn't be viewed as anything at all without him. Luke is not a star, but he's sure paid like one :rolleyes:

In the ways that Kobe will never be Jordan...

1- Jordan is the most marketable global icon pre-Tiger. Kobe is no longer the All-American kiddie friendly image of his pre-rape trial days.

2- Jordan is a six-ringer with six Finals MVPs, not to mention all the league MVP's. Kobe is a three-ringer with no Finals MVPS and only one league MVP.

3- Jordan is still selling shoes despite retirement. Kobe will fade after retirement, like most ex-NBA All Stars.

4- Jordan is seen as a leader who can manage and build NBA teams, given his positions with both the Wizards previously and now the Bobcats. Kobe will be given no such opportunities, seeing his predominant lone wolf persona

5- Jordan has a statue in front of Chicago's United Center. Kobe's just another notch in LA's belt of stars.

6- Jordan is clutch. Kobe is notorious for airballing game winning shots in the most amusing ways possible.

7- Jordan can endorse anything from underwear, to phone companies, to Gatorade, to bug spray cologne. Kobe endorses shoes. That's it, because all other companies dropped him.

8- Jordan helped lead the Dream Team to a gold medal in 92 and also got the USA a gold when he was younger. Kobe won't win the gold for the USA when he plays in his first Olympics later this year, assuming he won't be "injured" this time around.

9- Jordan, despite his rifts with teammates including Steve Kerr and Bill Cartwright, has never tried to force any of them out, despite having the leverage. Kobe used his leverage to get rid of three-time Finals MVP and one of the greatest centers ever to play the game out, not to mention a 9-time championship coach.

10- Jordan has never lost the Finals, whether he has home court advantage or not, regardless of the opponent.

yermom
6/18/2008, 01:36 PM
i keep reading this as Bear Bryant

Eielson
6/18/2008, 01:50 PM
In the ways that Kobe will never be Jordan...

1- Jordan is the most marketable global icon pre-Tiger. Kobe is no longer the All-American kiddie friendly image of his pre-rape trial days.

2- Jordan is a six-ringer with six Finals MVPs, not to mention all the league MVP's. Kobe is a three-ringer with no Finals MVPS and only one league MVP.

3- Jordan is still selling shoes despite retirement. Kobe will fade after retirement, like most ex-NBA All Stars.

4- Jordan is seen as a leader who can manage and build NBA teams, given his positions with both the Wizards previously and now the Bobcats. Kobe will be given no such opportunities, seeing his predominant lone wolf persona

5- Jordan has a statue in front of Chicago's United Center. Kobe's just another notch in LA's belt of stars.

6- Jordan is clutch. Kobe is notorious for airballing game winning shots in the most amusing ways possible.

7- Jordan can endorse anything from underwear, to phone companies, to Gatorade, to bug spray cologne. Kobe endorses shoes. That's it, because all other companies dropped him.

8- Jordan helped lead the Dream Team to a gold medal in 92 and also got the USA a gold when he was younger. Kobe won't win the gold for the USA when he plays in his first Olympics later this year, assuming he won't be "injured" this time around.

9- Jordan, despite his rifts with teammates including Steve Kerr and Bill Cartwright, has never tried to force any of them out, despite having the leverage. Kobe used his leverage to get rid of three-time Finals MVP and one of the greatest centers ever to play the game out, not to mention a 9-time championship coach.

10- Jordan has never lost the Finals, whether he has home court advantage or not, regardless of the opponent.

2. Yes, Kobe won't be a six time Finals MVP. However, I wouldn't bet against him being a six ringer.

4. He got the position, but he has been awful at it.

6. Jordan has missed a ton of game winning shots. Anybody who has hit a bunch of game winners has missed a bunch of game winners.

8. I think that the USA will win the Olympics this year. Even if he didn't, it wouldn't just be because of who had Bryant and who had Jordan.

9. Kobe did not force Shaq out. The Lakers organization recognized how they could get a lot for Shaq right then and how every year after they would be getting less and less. They didn't want to pay him the over 20 million a year contract he wanted. In the long run it turns out that the Lakers were correct with trading Shaq when they did. They just chose the wrong offer to accept.

1, 7, and even 3 are basically the same thing.

BarryBnds
6/18/2008, 08:30 PM
Kobe Bryant led the league in technical fouls over all including 'Sheed. 'Nuff said.

Scott D
6/18/2008, 09:04 PM
well to be fair, 'Sheed is getting old. Now if only we can pawn him on some team like his name was Kwame Brown. :D

Curly Bill
6/18/2008, 10:11 PM
i keep reading this as Bear Bryant

...and so did I! Crazy huh?

Blue
6/20/2008, 11:31 PM
Badger must type 100 words a minute. I swear her posts are like novels. ;)