PDA

View Full Version : OU lineman quits to join Marines

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 07:11 PM
I am surprised no one picked up on this yet:confused:

Semper Fi! Carry on. (http://newsok.com/ou-lineman-quits-to-join-marines/article/3258720/?tm=1213745087)

yermom
6/17/2008, 07:21 PM
Schmitty runs off another one :(

;)

goingoneight
6/17/2008, 07:22 PM
Pat Tillman award winnar for 2008?

Best of luck to you, Britt.

tommieharris91
6/17/2008, 07:25 PM
Bob Kalsu would be proud.

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 07:26 PM
Schmitty runs off another one :(

;)

Heh, the kid will get into the corp and laugh. "I though the Marines had a tough physical regimen? Why are you guys out of breath?"

:D :D :D

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 07:28 PM
Bob Kalsu would be proud.

Hell, I'm proud of the kid

OKC-SLC
6/17/2008, 08:36 PM
Word.

olevetonahill
6/17/2008, 08:41 PM
I wish him Well .

SoonerShark
6/17/2008, 09:39 PM
God bless him.

Collier11
6/17/2008, 09:43 PM
Great guy, what a stud! I thought it was sh*tty of the dok to say that he probably wasnt good enough to play at ou so it wasnt a big loss, or something to that matter.

Collier11
6/17/2008, 09:44 PM
By Scott Wright
Staff Writer
NORMAN — Some Oklahoma football players might liken strength and conditioning coach Jerry Schmidt to a military drill sergeant. Now Britt Mitchell can make a first-hand comparison.

The freshman offensive lineman left the Sooners late last week and has enlisted with the United States Marine Corps, OU sports information director Kenny Mossman confirmed Tuesday.

“He has the coaching staff’s full support in pursuing something that has been attractive to him for some time,” Mossman said.

Mitchell, a 6-foot-6, 311-pound freshman tackle from Roscoe, Texas, enrolled at OU in January and went through winter and spring workouts with the team. He had begun summer training with Schmidt before deciding on a military career.

Mitchell’s departure won’t have a major impact on the Sooners. He was the least-recruited of OU’s three offensive line signees in February and was one of the lowest rated players in the 21-man signing class, according to Internet recruiting services Rivals and Scout. However, offensive line depth could become an issue in the future. OU has five full- or part-time starters who will be seniors this fall.

I see what they are saying I just dont see a point in it

Paperclip
6/17/2008, 10:01 PM
Mitchell’s departure won’t have a major impact on the Sooners. He was the least-recruited of OU’s three offensive line signees in February and was one of the lowest rated players in the 21-man signing class, according to Internet recruiting services Rivals and Scout. However, offensive line depth could become an issue in the future. OU has five full- or part-time starters who will be seniors this fall.

Because a large number of people were wondering that exact thing when they were reading the article.

adoniijahsooner
6/17/2008, 10:06 PM
Because a large number of people were wondering that exact thing when they were reading the article.

True.

Scott D
6/17/2008, 10:36 PM
duh, because it's not like there are quality reporters there.

tulsaoilerfan
6/17/2008, 11:27 PM
Best of luck to the kid; he just made a decision that could cost him millions in the future to serve his country; that ladies and gentlemen is a true role model.

OU-HSV
6/17/2008, 11:36 PM
Best of luck to the kid; he just made a decision that could cost him millions in the future to serve his country; that ladies and gentlemen is a true role model.

Very true

Collier11
6/17/2008, 11:49 PM

Sounds to me like a large number of people are proud of him and not worried about football. The football question can be brought up in a little more timely manner, our paper is embarrassing at times

Ardmore_Sooner
6/17/2008, 11:59 PM
our paper is embarrassing at times

At times? Get your facts straight! [hairGel]

Collier11
6/18/2008, 12:08 AM
my bad

E-Town
6/18/2008, 02:12 AM
I wish him well. His courage to serve our country in times such as this, is very honorable.

soonerfan28
6/18/2008, 08:31 AM
It's not important right now, but does then mean that he has scholarship available in 4 years.

Big Red Ron
6/18/2008, 08:36 AM
Quitter!!!!

Lol, mucho spek to this young man! Thanks to guys like him, we enjoy our freedoms!

KingBarry
6/18/2008, 11:48 AM
Here's a question.

He's been the Sooners a year, right? Now let's say he does a four-yr hitch. Sees some things, does some things, stays in shape, and comes home a man.

And let's say he's decided he'd like to recommit himself to major college football.

Is his eligibility gone? It's my understanding that a scholar-athlete has four years of football eligibility, and that these four years must be used up during a five-year period beginning the moment the scholar-athlete begins attending school. So, by my reading, he would then be ineligible.

There are exceptions for, for examples, Mormon missionaries. Maybe Joe C. should start working this one through the back door?

47straight
6/18/2008, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about the eligibility issue; not for our sake, but his. The GI Bill will help with school, but it's not as plush as a full athletic scholarship.

RedstickSooner
6/18/2008, 04:19 PM
Shouldn't he have full eligibility, since all those minor-league pitchers get to play football 'til they're middle-aged men when they give up on baseball?

Scott D
6/18/2008, 04:36 PM
He was from the 2008 class (early enrollee) I believe. So he hasn't even used a redshirt at this point.

Widescreen
6/18/2008, 05:30 PM
I'd like to see the look on Osama's face when a 6'6" 310lb dude is running at him. :D

Scott D
6/18/2008, 05:42 PM
he'll probably be fantasizing about whitney houston again.

snp
6/18/2008, 08:52 PM
Shouldn't he have full eligibility, since all those minor-league pitchers get to play football 'til they're middle-aged men when they give up on baseball?

Different situation. They retain all their eligibility because they never set foot on a college campus. Read about Tim Frisby (http://gamecocksonline.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/frisby_tim00.html) for older people coming back to play football.

I'm not positive, but I think military obligations freeze eligibility. I'll try and find something in the rulebook later tonight.

Edit: UH Compliance Department agrees with me (http://uhcougars.cstv.com/compliance/compliance-enrolled-athletes.html)

47straight
6/18/2008, 10:20 PM
I'm not positive, but I think military obligations freeze eligibility. I'll try and find something in the rulebook later tonight.

Edit: UH Compliance Department agrees with me (http://uhcougars.cstv.com/compliance/compliance-enrolled-athletes.html)

From the link:

"Exceptions are provided due to extraordinary cases, military service and pregnancy for female student-athletes in rare instances."

Good, good.

goingoneight
6/18/2008, 11:23 PM
Great guy, what a stud! I thought it was sh*tty of the dok to say that he probably wasnt good enough to play at ou so it wasnt a big loss, or something to that matter.

This is the same rag that called Stoops racist for benching Paul Thompson.

:stunned: but but but itz a uo hype masheen!!!!1111!!! :stunned:

Sooner in Tampa
6/19/2008, 06:19 AM
Good for him.

Semper Fi young man...and God Speed.

IronHorseSooner
6/19/2008, 11:17 AM
Y'all are correct about eligibility. I had a segeant who played a year of D-II ball before enlisting and going to Iraq, and then he left to go back to play ball. It happens more than what you think. This is actually one thing that the NCAA gets right.

OUster
6/19/2008, 12:12 PM
Apart from the obvious pride in Britt for his decision...one has to ask the question - where will the Marines put him...he is 6'6", 311 pounds! He is a little to large to go unnoticed as a sniper or becomes a target as an infantryman. He doesn't fit into any machine. Any ideas?

Collier11
6/19/2008, 12:44 PM
Apart from the obvious pride in Britt for his decision...one has to ask the question - where will the Marines put him...he is 6'6", 311 pounds! He is a little to large to go unnoticed as a sniper or becomes a target as an infantryman. He doesn't fit into any machine. Any ideas?

Terminator or RoboCop

47straight
6/19/2008, 01:12 PM

Toting dual-SAW's, firing from the hip, chompin' on a cigar...

I wondered the same thing, btw.

stoopified
6/19/2008, 02:09 PM
Good luck,GOD Bless.

Mixer!
6/19/2008, 02:38 PM
Yes, God Bless & thank you. Semper Fi!

soonerfan28
6/19/2008, 03:33 PM
If he does come back will he be a TE? I'm sure they'll work some of that weight off.

Scott D
6/19/2008, 05:08 PM

someone's gotta use the M-60 :)

sooner94
6/19/2008, 06:01 PM
Why does the DOK have to downgrade a kid that does everything right?

Seriously, I wish this kid the best. I feel sorry for anyone that has to take him on in hand to hand combat.

Sooner_Havok
6/19/2008, 08:20 PM
someone's gotta use the M-60 :)

Hell, after what Schmitty taught him, they use his *** a world class drill instructor :D

JLEW1818
6/19/2008, 11:03 PM
This is the absolute worse time of the year.

Fraggle145
6/20/2008, 01:12 AM
good luck to him.

soonerboomer93
6/20/2008, 02:58 AM
good luck to him

and the dok writer is a complete ********* for adding that

Sooner_Havok
6/20/2008, 01:27 PM
good luck to him

and the dok writer is a complete ********* for adding that

Yeah, pretty much. But are there any dok writers that aren't complete *********?

StoopTroup
6/21/2008, 08:45 AM
I'm not a lawyer but I play one on the interwebs sometimes...;)

I don't think it's the NCAA getting something right as much as it's probably a good court case if they don't.

They can't use his Military Service against him in any way.

Period.

Maybe some of the Resident AC's can deliver a verdict? :D

MojoRisen
6/21/2008, 10:25 AM
Britt, good luck - kick arse!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
6/21/2008, 02:57 PM
By Scott Wright
Staff Writer
NORMAN Mitchell’s departure won’t have a major impact on the Sooners. He was the least-recruited of OU’s three offensive line signees in February and was one of the lowest rated players in the 21-man signing class, according to Internet recruiting services Rivals and Scout. However, offensive line depth could become an issue in the future. OU has five full- or part-time starters who will be seniors this fall.

A bit of a back handed comment IMO. I suspect there is a better way to write that and present it in a more positive light. Yeah, sure people were asking the question, but did he have to be so "factual". You can write something nice but in such a way people can read between the lines. Just sayin'

Paperclip
6/21/2008, 03:11 PM

I was thinking of Mark Schlereth. He really slimmed down after he quit playing. Granted, Schlereth was never as big as Britt. It may be that Britt changes his body to become a Marine and never sees a football field again, at least as an OL.

101sooner
6/21/2008, 08:10 PM

He's a big guy. Some folks assume that he will have difficulty dealing with the Marine Corps physical fitness regimen because he is so heavy. In reality, he made it through early entry Spring training with OU and was an elite HS athlete. That is MUCH tougher physically than Marine Corp boot camp. He will most likely excel at physical training. Sleep deprivation, being yelled at, living in barracks, having to conform, etc, will be a short term challenge, but it's not like tens of millions of Americans from all walks of life haven't been able to handle these challenges over the last 200+ years. The 5'9" non-athlete that sat next to him in basic algebra will most likely overcome these same challenges.

If anything, being a D1 athlete at OU will make him a better Marine.

If his mind is right, he'll be fine. He will lose some weight, but at 6'6", he can be maybe 260 pounds with a low body fat index.

Possible USMC jobs for the young man:

01 -- Personnel and Administration

02 -- Intelligence

03 -- Infantry

04 -- Logistics

05 -- Marine Air Ground Task Force (MAGTF) Plans

06 -- Communications

08 -- Field Artillery

09 -- Training

11 -- Utilities

13 -- Engineer, Construction, Facilities, and Equipment

18 -- Tank and Assault Amphibious Vehicle

21 -- Ground Ordnance Maintenance

23 -- Ammunition and Explosive Ordnance Disposal

26 -- Signals Intelligence/Ground Electronic Warfare

27 -- Linguist

28 -- Ground Electronics Maintenance

30 -- Supply Administration and Operations

31 -- Traffic Management

33 --Food Service

34 --Financial Management

35 -- Motor Transport

41 -- Marine Corps Community Services

43 --Public Affairs

44 -- Legal Services

46 -- Combat Camera

55 -- Music

57 -- Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defense

58 -- Military Police and Corrections

59 --Electronics Maintenance

60/61/62 -- Aircraft Maintenance

63/64 --Avionics

65 --Aviation Ordnance

66 -- Aviation Logistics

68 -- Meteorology and Oceanography

70 -- Airfield Services

72 -- Air Control/Air Support/Anti-air Warfare/Air Traffic Control

73 --Navigation Officer/Enlisted Flight Crews

80 -- Miscellaneous Requirements MOSs

Collier11
6/21/2008, 08:30 PM
A bit of a back handed comment IMO. I suspect there is a better way to write that and present it in a more positive light. Yeah, sure people were asking the question, but did he have to be so "factual". You can write something nice but in such a way people can read between the lines. Just sayin'

My only point was that the guy was doing something extremely honorable and something I am in awe of...someone that gives up potential millions to serve the country, or even just giving up playing for a major university is something very cool let alone just giving up your life as you know it. They could have put it in a seperate segment like the OU notes segment they do or something like that and kept it out of the article.

All in all, not a big deal but It could have been done in better taste

Beef
6/21/2008, 09:11 PM
Here's a question.

He's been the Sooners a year, right? Now let's say he does a four-yr hitch. Sees some things, does some things, stays in shape, and comes home a man.

Let's hope he comes home before he's 40.

okieslp
6/22/2008, 12:22 AM
I am in awe of anyone choosing to give of themselves so we can have the freedom to write, think and say whatever we please! Super kudos to a young kid who will return a man and a thread in the fabric that weaves this great nation - Proud to be an American!

Devil Dog's - Ooh, frickin' rah!

KingBarry
6/22/2008, 03:33 AM

Sounds like military intelligence to me. Maybe interrogating al Quaeda.

KingBarry
6/22/2008, 03:36 AM

They could have just called him a "reserve lineman". Why slap the kid on his way out? That's just bad editing, plain and simple. But nothing new from OK newspapers, that's for sure.