PDA

View Full Version : Camping time

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 06:38 PM
Hey, you guys are expert hillbillies, I need some advice. I want to take some time off work in the next couple of weeks and go camping, but I don't know where the best place to go would be. I plan on going during the week to try and avoid some huge crowds if that has any bearing on your suggestions. I would like to stay in Oklahoma, what with gas being a beast right now.

Oh, and when I say camping, I mean a tent and ****, not some gigantic trailer or RV. That ain't camping:D

Turd_Ferguson
6/17/2008, 06:40 PM
Beaver's Bend in Broken Bow.

OUbones
6/17/2008, 06:41 PM
The Witchita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. YWIA

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/wichitamountains/

Mjcpr
6/17/2008, 06:42 PM

I second this one.

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 06:42 PM

I would be down for that, but I just rented a cabin down there maybe 4 months ago. Beautiful area though, I want to head that way come fall;)

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 06:43 PM
The Witchita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. YWIA

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/oklahoma/wichitamountains/

Hmmm, bet Mt. Scott would be nice this time of year :D

SoonerInKCMO
6/17/2008, 06:47 PM
My parents' backyard is pretty big and they just put up a new fence that should keep the riff-raff at bay. Want me to call 'em?

tommieharris91
6/17/2008, 06:52 PM
We're not hillibillies anymore. We're flying dickwheels now.

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 06:55 PM
My parents' backyard is pretty big and they just put up a new fence that should keep the riff-raff at bay. Want me to call 'em?

:mad: Would they provide natty?:D

Any of you guys know anything about Pine Creek?

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 06:56 PM
We're not hillibillies anymore. We're flying dickwheels now.

Huh, I would have thought dickwheels would be banned.:confused:

Turd_Ferguson
6/17/2008, 06:57 PM
I would be down for that, but I just rented a cabin down there maybe 4 months ago. Beautiful area though, I want to head that way come fall;)My deer camp is about 10 miles north of there. You'd be correct that the fall is much nicer. Lot's less follage and less bug's.

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 06:59 PM
My deer camp is about 10 miles north of there. You'd be correct that the fall is much nicer. Lot's less follage and less bug's.

I hear the Talimena drive is awesome during fall.

tommieharris91
6/17/2008, 06:59 PM
:mad: Would they provide natty?:D

Any of you guys know anything about Pine Creek?

Is that the one up by Fort Gibson?

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 07:02 PM
Is that the one up by Fort Gibson?

Nah, it is half way between Antlers and Broken Bow

I had thought of going up to Fort Gibson, but I heard the lake is full of chicken **** :(

tommieharris91
6/17/2008, 07:22 PM
Campsites near lakes are probably flooded right now anyway.

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 07:24 PM
Campsites near lakes are probably flooded right now anyway.

Yeah, but I am hoping the water levels go down. I am not planning on doing this till the first or second week in July.

AlbqSooner
6/17/2008, 07:36 PM
Mulberry River in Arkansas.

Take I-40 east past Ft. Smith to exit 35. Highway 23 North toward Cass. You will cross the Mulberry River and look for a sign on your right to Wolf Pen or Oark. Wolf Pen is the second campsite. Don't recall the name of the first. Either is really nice with a shower house, campsites with picnic tables, along the river and really beautiful country. Totals between 50 and 60 miles from Fort Smith. Used to be a dry county so buy your beer or whatever before you pass Fort Smith.

6/17/2008, 07:53 PM
Make sure you have shower facilities. Hard to go wrong after that as long as you are in tall trees and have good meals to prepare and are enjoying family time.

Camping isn't an expenisve deal as long as you are prepared.

Norman Sooner
6/17/2008, 08:01 PM
We go to Kaw Lake in ponca city..good fishing and decent facilities..

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 08:02 PM
Make sure you have shower facilities. Hard to go wrong after that as long as you are in tall trees and have good meals to prepare and are enjoying family time.

Camping isn't an expenisve deal as long as you are prepared.

I found some of those self heating meals and dehydrated meals at Bass Pro, I am thinking of trying a few of those. I also plan on packing real food for when that stuff winds up being teh suck. :D

tommieharris91
6/17/2008, 08:04 PM
I found some of those self heating meals and dehydrated meals at Bass Pro, I am thinking of trying a few of those. I also plan on packing real food for when that stuff winds up being teh suck. :D

Some of those are actually pretty good, especially after you've been hiking and swimming all day.

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 08:05 PM
Some of those are actually pretty good, especially after you've been hiking and swimming all day.

I figure the desserts can't be too bad, but dehydrated bacon and eggs kind of has me freaked out. Think I will pack the pepto too :D

Okla-homey
6/17/2008, 09:18 PM
Lake Murray just south of Ardmore. Nice camping, and one of the few state run lodges still operating -- which equals cocktails if you decide you want to chill out after a long day hiking and swattin' bugs.

olevetonahill
6/17/2008, 09:47 PM
Come By the Olevet shack
hook ya up with Camping and Juice:D

SouthFortySooner
6/17/2008, 09:48 PM
The lower Mt. Fork below Broken Bow Lake. Go east on HiWay 70 out of BB just a few miles, turn L on the Reregulation Damn Rd. Plenty of tent camping areas there. The water is crystal clear and very cold. Going to need a trout stamp. Beautiful beyond description.

nmsoonergirl
6/17/2008, 11:29 PM
I used to go to Buffalo River in Arakansas quite a bit when I lived in OK. If you are willing to camp a little bit away from the river there won't be many people at all.
Chickashaw National Rec area (near sulfur) used to be nice too, but I haven't been in a long time.

As a warning, I never went to either of these places in the Summer (there is NO WAY I could camp in OK in the summer....the humidity would kill me), so I don't know how crowded it would be.

OU-HSV
6/17/2008, 11:42 PM
The state park at Lake Ft. Gibson on the East side aint bad/Sequoyah Bay State Park. BUT I bet it's mostly under water right now.
Check this site out:
http://www.touroklahoma.com/parks.asp

Mjcpr
6/18/2008, 08:51 AM
There is no way Seqoyah Bay is open, Ft Gibson lake is 22' above normal the last time I saw and it has been raining since then. It gets pretty high.

I suggested Broken Bow, I think it's the prettiest area in Oklahoma and Broken Bow lake is the niceset IMO. Tenkiller is a nice lake as well but even it's murky now because of all the rain.

OU-HSV
6/18/2008, 06:29 PM
There is no way Seqoyah Bay is open, Ft Gibson lake is 22' above normal the last time I saw and it has been raining since then. It gets pretty high.....

Kinda what I figured

C&CDean
6/18/2008, 09:37 PM
Oh, and when I say camping, I mean a tent and ****, not some gigantic trailer or RV. That ain't camping:D

Oh please.

Unless you can honestly say you've spent a minimum of 1,000 nights or more sleeping on the ground then you don't have any business talking out your *** about RVs.

I spent every August from the time I was about 3 until the time I was 16 sleeping on the ground in Germany, France, and Arizona or Colorado. 30 days each month. It was my dad's leave from the military, and by God we spent it tent camping.

Then I spent every deer hunting season sleeping under a pick up or in the bed of the truck depending on the weather for the first 20 or so years of my life.

Then I joined the Army and averaged about 200 days a year sleeping wherever the hell you could find a spot to lay down and pull your poncho over you.

Then I spent the next 25 years sleeping in tents or pick ups while out hunting in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Oklahoma.

Then in about 2003, I bought an RV. As far as I'm concerned, only a ****ing idiot sleeps on the ground anymore unless he's got no other choice.

Soonerus
6/18/2008, 09:44 PM
Oh please.

Unless you can honestly say you've spent a minimum of 1,000 nights or more sleeping on the ground then you don't have any business talking out your *** about RVs.

I spent every August from the time I was about 3 until the time I was 16 sleeping on the ground in Germany, France, and Arizona or Colorado. 30 days each month. It was my dad's leave from the military, and by God we spent it tent camping.

Then I spent every deer hunting season sleeping under a pick up or in the bed of the truck depending on the weather for the first 20 or so years of my life.

Then I joined the Army and averaged about 200 days a year sleeping wherever the hell you could find a spot to lay down and pull your poncho over you.

Then I spent the next 25 years sleeping in tents or pick ups while out hunting in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Oklahoma.

Then in about 2003, I bought an RV. As far as I'm concerned, only a ****ing idiot sleeps on the ground anymore unless he's got no other choice.

ditto...

BlondeSoonerGirl
6/18/2008, 09:44 PM
:les: CHIGGERS!!!

C&CDean
6/18/2008, 09:48 PM
:les: CHIGGERS!!!

That's racist.

Soonerus
6/18/2008, 09:48 PM
That's racist.

ditto...

Sooner_Havok
6/19/2008, 12:02 AM
Oh please.

You saw the smiley right? Look, I am poor. Very, very poor. Maybe after I pay off my OU loans I will get an RV, but for now, I sleep in tents on air mattresses.

6/19/2008, 12:11 AM
Lake Murray just south of Ardmore. Nice camping, and one of the few state run lodges still operating -- which equals cocktails if you decide you want to chill out after a long day hiking and swattin' bugs.

One of the prettiest lakes in the state! And Homey is right, good camping. Haven't been to the lodge, but that's because I don't make the scratch an attorney does. :D

Very nice lake and clear enough to bring a mask and snorkel along.

soonerbrat
6/19/2008, 12:44 AM
Robber's Cave

6/19/2008, 01:29 AM
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j200/zebthethird/cartman.jpg