PDA

View Full Version : Mold

r5TPsooner
6/17/2008, 10:52 AM
This really sucks. As some of you know, we purchased a home last March. It was our 1st home purchase and it wasn't a "starter home" by any stretch of the imagination. The wife an I come from very humble beginnings and saved for almost 15 years to afford a down payment of about 20% which is a large sum when you consider the price of our home, which in my mind is a nice chunk of money.

WE have had NUMEROUS issues with the home, all which have been taken care of by the builder in a acceptable time frame.

About a month after we moved into our home, we noticed a moldy/mildewy smell coming from under the bathtub of our master bathroom. About 9 months later the builder had it "fixed" having to completely remove tile, knocking out brick from the outside, and eventually replacing everything but the Jetta bathtub. They laid some heavy duty felt down, and did a bunch of other stuff, plus had it professionally cleaned by a company who deals in hazardous waste.

Unfortunately the mold has come back and it's from the same spot! WE had the mold expert come out today and he said that he was puzzled. He said that the builder has done everything right, but the humidity in that particular bathroom seems to be somehow causing the problem to reoccur.

Does anyone have any expertise in this area and do I have a legal leg to stand on if the issue is not taken care of?

As with most folks, our house was a huge investment for us. I really fear that if this isn't resolved, I'll never be able to resell the home if I can't somehow get a handle on the mold problem.

Any suggestions or expertise would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

soonerboomer93
6/17/2008, 11:22 AM
do you tend to leave that door open or closed?

r5TPsooner
6/17/2008, 11:31 AM
do you tend to leave that door open or closed?

Open

Whet
6/17/2008, 12:37 PM
If you leave the vent fan on for about 10-15 minutes after using the tub/shower will help remove some of the humidity.

Have the builder return to fix the issue, perhaps replacing the tub.

Also, check to ensure you do not have a leak.

r5TPsooner
6/17/2008, 01:26 PM
If you leave the vent fan on for about 10-15 minutes after using the tub/shower will help remove some of the humidity.

Have the builder return to fix the issue, perhaps replacing the tub.

Also, check to ensure you do not have a leak.

I was kinda surprised that he didn't just replace the tub when he did all of the other stuff. When they knocked out the brick on the outside I knew we had some serious issues. I assume since the house was lived in for less than a few months, and the house was less than a year old, Jetta would have replaced the tub with no complaints at all. I could be wrong though.

I hate to have to sue people and I hope that it never comes to that. I just hope that if it does come to that, that I have a legal "leg" to stand on.

Flagstaffsooner
6/17/2008, 01:54 PM
Sounds like a leak in one of the tub connections At some time when you are going to be away from the house or not using water read your meter then check it later. If it has advanced you have a leak. I work part time as a plumber and although I have never done a Jetta, whirlpool tubs can be tricky.

Blue
6/17/2008, 11:51 PM
File a claim under the previous homeowners insurance. If the home inspector missed it, it's on them.