PDA

View Full Version : Mah TV...it haz dying now?

mdklatt
6/17/2008, 09:36 AM
In the past couple of days my TV has started doing something weird. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the display kind of...flickers. Not really a flicker, but it will change sizes by maybe a quarter inch and then go back to normal in the blink of an eye. It doesn't do it all the time, but it starting to get more frequent. I think it might get worse the longer the TV has been on.

Am I screwed?

stoops the eternal pimp
6/17/2008, 09:44 AM
what kinda tv you got

mdklatt
6/17/2008, 09:46 AM
what kinda tv you got

Samsung...something or other. Tube HDTV.

JohnnyMack
6/17/2008, 09:51 AM
:les:Come to light Carol Anne!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
6/17/2008, 09:54 AM
does it do it more when the images on screen are white or very bright or is it just randomly doing it no matter what is on the screen?

mdklatt
6/17/2008, 09:56 AM
does it do it more when the images on screen are white or very bright or is it just randomly doing it no matter what is on the screen?

Hmmm...not sure, but now that I think about it maybe more when the images are very bright. It hasn't been doing it long enough for me to detect a pattern.

SoonerInKCMO
6/17/2008, 10:05 AM
Does it do it more when you're drunk?

stoops the eternal pimp
6/17/2008, 10:10 AM
you may try messing with your contrast/brightness settings on the tv to see if that makes any kind of difference. Black level could be off. I've heard that can be because of issues in the power supply...could be a few different things but IMO you would be better off getting something else than trying to fix if its a parts problem

mdklatt
6/17/2008, 10:28 AM
IMO you would be better off getting something else than trying to fix if its a parts problem

Yeah, that's the way it works anymore. Planned obsolescence...but the dumb thing isn't even that old. I can live with the "flicker", I'm just wonder how long I have before it goes tits up altogether. You mention power supply...I wonder if it has anything to do with power surges from nearby lightning strikes? Plenty of that last night. It's hooked up to a surge protector, but nothing fancy.

85Sooner
6/17/2008, 11:39 AM
lcd?

mdklatt
6/17/2008, 11:57 AM
lcd?

No, tube.

85Sooner
6/17/2008, 12:00 PM
SOUNDS LIKE the tube is gettin ready to go.

mdklatt
6/17/2008, 12:01 PM
SOUNDS LIKE the tube is gettin ready to go.

****! :mad:

mdklatt
6/20/2008, 07:06 PM
Update: the TV is still hanging in there, but the problem is getting worse. Sometimes the picture will shimmy, but every once and awhile it shudders. It's like watching something projected on curtains that are blowing around in the breeze. Does that make any sense? There no pattern to the timing of it. It does it for all display modes and input sources.

SicEmBaylor
6/20/2008, 07:07 PM
In the past couple of days my TV has started doing something weird. I'm not sure how to describe it, but the display kind of...flickers. Not really a flicker, but it will change sizes by maybe a quarter inch and then go back to normal in the blink of an eye. It doesn't do it all the time, but it starting to get more frequent. I think it might get worse the longer the TV has been on.

Am I screwed?

I had a computer monitor that used to do that, and yes it's a sign that it's crapping out on you.

soonerboomer93
6/20/2008, 07:30 PM
on a side note, you should replace your surge protectors every couple years or so, especially the ones on equipment you value

they take more spikes then you notice and actually will begin to fail over time. eventually, it will cause a delay in the surge strip tripping and may allow a surge to hit the equipment.

battery backups are a different story, and that depends on the features of the backup

mdklatt
7/5/2008, 11:32 PM
I cannot figure this sucker out. For awhile the problem went away altogether, then Wednesday things got a lot worse. The image sort of collapsed on itself horizontally. Hold a piece of paper in front of you like it's a TV screen. Now push the sides until there's a fold in the middle That's what my TV looks like. I don't think the problem is the tube itself, because the picture is still there. It's just distorted. And now all of a sudden it's back to normal again.

I'm noticing that the problem seems to be correlated with humidity. It was at it's worst the past few days when it was really humid, and now that the dew point has dropped a few degrees the problem is gone. WTF?? :confused:

I went window shopping for a new TV today, but I'd like to get this one fixed if possible. Do TV repair places do house calls? No way I can get this bastard into my car.

Okla-homey
7/6/2008, 07:25 AM
I cannot figure this sucker out. For awhile the problem went away altogether, then Wednesday things got a lot worse. The image sort of collapsed on itself horizontally. Hold a piece of paper in front of you like it's a TV screen. Now push the sides until there's a fold in the middle That's what my TV looks like. I don't think the problem is the tube itself, because the picture is still there. It's just distorted. And now all of a sudden it's back to normal again.

I'm noticing that the problem seems to be correlated with humidity. It was at it's worst the past few days when it was really humid, and now that the dew point has dropped a few degrees the problem is gone. WTF?? :confused:

I went window shopping for a new TV today, but I'd like to get this one fixed if possible. Do TV repair places do house calls? No way I can get this bastard into my car.

I would imagine TV repair is not in your best interest if it involves picture tube replacement. Prolly best to accept the fact its not long for this world and buy a new one.

OU-HSV
7/6/2008, 09:02 AM

The flat screens/plasmas, etc. are getting rather "affordable" at wal-mart and other places just in case you have to get a new one.

I guess the DPI/resolution is the main thing to look for.

My parents bought a Vizio t.v. recently, like a 42" or 46" and it is a nice t.v. He bought a warranty on it just in case.

mdklatt
7/6/2008, 09:26 AM
I would imagine TV repair is not in your best interest if it involves picture tube replacement.

I don't think it's the tube, but what ever doodads guide the electron beam from the tube.

Harry Beanbag
7/6/2008, 09:51 AM
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/deflprob.gif

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
7/6/2008, 09:51 AM
lcd?i think you mean lsd

mdklatt
7/6/2008, 10:01 AM
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/deflprob.gif

Pincushion distortion, and maybe reduced width.

Mixer!
7/6/2008, 10:08 AM
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/643/hillaryscrewedeb3.jpg

:D

Turd_Ferguson
7/6/2008, 10:10 AM
Last night, my Horizontal Sync was lost

Harry Beanbag
7/6/2008, 10:15 AM
Pincushion distortion, and maybe reduced width.

Maybe this will help. I didn't read it all of course, it's longer than one of Jed's posts.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/tvfaq.htm#tvcrtpca

SoonerInFla
7/6/2008, 10:27 AM
I had the same thing happen years ago. Same symptoms and then it finally got to the point where I had nothing but a horizontal line across the middle like the 1st pic beanbag put up. Took it to the shop and he fixed it for $75.00. Repairman referred to the problem as something to do with the horizontal hold.