PDA

View Full Version : Can we still throw oranges?

KingBarry
6/17/2008, 02:31 AM
First Thread!

The BCS Championship is back in Miami, but is not the "Orange Bowl" proper.

Assuming that we are in the title hunt late in the season, would renewing the orange tossing tradition be appropriate?

I say, they still grow oranges down there, so yes.

yermom
6/17/2008, 02:42 AM
be sure to throw them at Pelini ;)

soonermix
6/17/2008, 09:34 AM
may as well toss'em early and toss'em often

soonerfan28
6/17/2008, 09:39 AM
Just toss a few at Chase.

JohnnyMack
6/17/2008, 11:23 AM
Yes. It is encouraged.

badger
6/17/2008, 11:34 AM
It is an effin hillbillly tradition!

However, if we are penalized, that is grounds for not doing it anymore until AFTER the game (or if you really can't wait, the halftime show) to throw. Stoops was downright pizzed at us for continuing to throw oranges after getting warned versus Nebbish a few years back. It also allowed Callyburger to not let one of Neb's streaks to be broken - no shutouts in a million years - by getting 15 yards from the fans on thrown oranges.

Rules for orange throwing:
Note: Breaking of the rules may result in being ejected from the game, or lots of fan belittlement.

1- Only throw oranges when OU is undefeated and/or ranked #1 or #2 in the polez.

Why: Because the BCS obeys the football gods, who do not like fan arrogance.

2- Only throw oranges during major breaks in action.

Why: Because you should be watching the game and not preventing anyone else from watching. Also, it's supposed to be in celebration, so following a huge victory or a great half of play is better than... say... the Carl's Jr. kick for $1,000.

3- No orange throwing at the sidelines.

Why: You'll get ejected. Get a brane, moran.

4- No orange throwing without cause.

Why: If you throw oranges after a Sooner injury or loss, we will all personally point you out to security so that you're arrested... or, save security the trouble of punching you in the face.

5- Fresh oranges only, please.

Why: If you're not wearing deoderant, you also suck.

KantoSooner
6/17/2008, 11:52 AM
yes, oranges SHALL be thrown, but in a refined, artistic sort of way. The sort of way that only a pint of bourbon during the first half of an OU shellacking of a hapless foe can bring on.
Oranges shall NEVER be intentionally frozen.

cvsooner
6/17/2008, 12:01 PM
I thought throwing oranges was cool until I got hit in the back of the head with one from about fifty rows up. Had a headache for three days.

JohnnyMack
6/17/2008, 12:08 PM
yes, oranges SHALL be thrown, but in a refined, artistic sort of way. The sort of way that only a pint of bourbon during the first half of an OU shellacking of a hapless foe can bring on.
Oranges shall NEVER be intentionally frozen.

:O

TexasLidig8r
6/17/2008, 12:13 PM
The Football Gods frown upon this thread...

KARMA.

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/17/2008, 12:17 PM
It is an effin hillbillly tradition!

However, if we are penalized, that is grounds for not doing it anymore until AFTER the game (or if you really can't wait, the halftime show) to throw. Stoops was downright pizzed at us for continuing to throw oranges after getting warned versus Nebbish a few years back. It also allowed Callyburger to not let one of Neb's streaks to be broken - no shutouts in a million years - by getting 15 yards from the fans on thrown oranges.

Rules for orange throwing:
Note: Breaking of the rules may result in being ejected from the game, or lots of fan belittlement.

1- Only throw oranges when OU is undefeated and/or ranked #1 or #2 in the polez.

Why: Because you should be watching the game and not preventing anyone else from watching. Also, it's supposed to be in celebration, so following a huge victory or a great half of play is better than... say... the Carl's Jr. kick for $1,000.

3- No orange throwing at the sidelines.

Why: You'll get ejected. Get a brane, moran.

4- No orange throwing without cause.

Why: If you throw oranges after a Sooner injury or loss, we will all personally point you out to security so that you're arrested... or, save security the trouble of punching you in the face.

5- Fresh oranges only, please.

Why: If you're not wearing deoderant, you also suck.

Thank you Lord Polonius.

badger
6/17/2008, 12:24 PM
I thought throwing oranges was cool until I got hit in the back of the head with one from about fifty rows up. Had a headache for three days.

Good point. Rule #6: Oranges shall be thrown up in the air, not directly toward the field in an effort to not hit any innocent bystanders.

badger
6/17/2008, 12:26 PM
Thank you Lord Polonius.

This above all: to thine orangeself be thrown.

htownsooner7
6/17/2008, 12:27 PM
My favorite sooner memory EVER. 2000 Big 12 Championship. The Heupel option pitch late in the 4th against KSU. Right as our RB crossed the marker (and then ran for a while), I reared back from the top deck (1st row and had gravity on my side) let it go and my orange landed safely in the endzone. I will never forget that moment. It was so damn cold, that thing felt like a rock. God bless the 2000 Sooners..

soonermix
6/17/2008, 12:34 PM
rule #7
the seed sower shall not be filled up with oranges until the OU/tx game

OUMallen
6/17/2008, 03:57 PM
rule #7
the seed sower shall not be filled up with oranges until the OU/tx game

That is entirely too early.

soonermix
6/17/2008, 04:14 PM
That is entirely too early.

your lucky i waited that long lol :cool:

fwsooner22
6/17/2008, 05:11 PM
I hit I.M. Hipp in the helmet with an orange...He was in that stupid upright set position on the field.....Oh the memories

Charla
6/17/2008, 07:00 PM
The way we have played in our more recent Bowl games you might want to throw rolls of toilet paper.

goingoneight
6/17/2008, 07:24 PM
That ain't no lie. ^^^ :O

Sooner_Havok
6/17/2008, 07:31 PM
That ain't no lie. ^^^ :O

Maybe we should put some whip cream in there :(

SoonerInLubbock
6/17/2008, 08:55 PM
Please don't make the football gods mad guy's,lol. I can't take anymore heartaches this year. I just hope this is the year of the sleeping giant....no unneeded press.

Big Red Ron
6/17/2008, 11:08 PM

KARMA.
Yeah, like they did when I threw them in 1985 and 2000. :rolleyes:

Texas knows little of football Gods, other than they come from Oklahoma, caugh, Darrell Royal.

:gary:

Big Red Ron
6/17/2008, 11:11 PM
Oh, and there shall be oranges thrown at home and on the road.

Kels
6/17/2008, 11:32 PM
Cate cafeteria used to have a big bowl of oranges sitting out for breakfast on Saturday mornings before the game. You're just begging for a bunch of freshmen to smuggle them into the stadium. Of course, we did.

I have fond memories of Robocop scanning the student section for the tell-tale orange barrage after the first touchdown. The trick was to throw your orange when everyone was standing and cheering, not when everyone sat down for a minute after the extra point. We always tried to see how far across the endzone we throw.

True story: it was early in the '90 or '91 season and we had just scored the first touchdown in the game. On cue, everybody threw their oranges. A guy on our row hit Brad Reddell on the ankle at the moment he received the snap, causing him to bobble it. Everyone in the student section was about to kill him. Then, the guy next to him stood up and threw his orange after everbody had set down. He was immediately pointed out by Robocop and Company, and they came up and busted him in the stands. He was thrown out of the game.

They weren't my friends mind you, but jkm's.

KingBarry
6/18/2008, 04:29 AM
Cate cafeteria used to have a big bowl of oranges sitting out for breakfast on Saturday mornings before the game. You're just begging for a bunch of freshmen to smuggle them into the stadium. Of course, we did.

I have fond memories of Robocop scanning the student section for the tell-tale orange barrage after the first touchdown. The trick was to throw your orange when everyone was standing and cheering, not when everyone sat down for a minute after the extra point. We always tried to see how far across the endzone we throw.

True story: it was early in the '90 or '91 season and we had just scored the first touchdown in the game. On cue, everybody threw their oranges. A guy on our row hit Brad Reddell on the ankle at the moment he received the snap, causing him to bobble it. Everyone in the student section was about to kill him. Then, the guy next to him stood up and threw his orange after everbody had set down. He was immediately pointed out by Robocop and Company, and they came up and busted him in the stands. He was thrown out of the game.

They weren't my friends mind you, but jkm's.

Let's see, in 1990 we we were on probation, so I'm guessing no oranges, so let's put this during the 1991 season.

Two big problems with this: First, why were the idiots throwing oranges when the ball was in play? And two, "early in the season"? WTF? You throw them the last couple of games when it looks like we're going to Miami.

PS-- The football gods love to throw oranges. I've seen them thrown all of my life, and most of those times we played in Miami.

OK2LA
6/18/2008, 07:44 AM

I hate to pull rank on you here, but you're wrong to a certain extent here.

You throw oranges when we score touchdowns, or when we're in the process of scoring a touchdown. (the key is when you've got a guy in the clear, and he's going untouched into the endzone - get that orange in the air. You must be ready at any moment - we could score at anytime.)

Also, it would be cool for someone to toss an orange on our first score of the year. :D Let 'em know we're comin'!

Big Red Ron
6/18/2008, 08:14 AM

You throw oranges when we score touchdowns, or when we're in the process of scoring a touchdown. (the key is when you've got a guy in the clear, and he's going untouched into the endzone - get that orange in the air. You must be ready at any moment - we could score at anytime.)

Also, it would be cool for someone to toss an orange on our first score of the year. :D Let 'em know we're comin'!
This is absolutely correct. Sorry Badger, we love ya but you missed the mark. I've been smuggling "fruit" into OU games for 30 years. Def. after TD's or one or two well placed oranges when a RB is streaking down the field.

badger
6/18/2008, 08:37 AM
I don't want anyone getting hurt and flying fruit around all the time without warning doesn't give people a chance to duck. It's ok for people close to the field and those that have experience, for most, DON'T THROW UNTIL YOU'RE IN THE CLEAR... which includes guaranteed win, break in action, etc.

OUMallen
6/18/2008, 09:51 AM
This is absolutely correct. Sorry Badger, we love ya but you missed the mark. I've been smuggling "fruit" into OU games for 30 years. Def. after TD's or one or two well placed oranges when a RB is streaking down the field.

I'd point someone out to Robocop & Co. myself if I saw you someone throw oranges while the ball is IN PLAY.

KingBarry
6/18/2008, 10:52 AM
Favorite thrown orange story: Nov 22 1975, Owen Field

Oklahoma was coming off two tough weeks, an inexplicable 3-23 loss at lowly Kansas, and a hard come from behind victory at Mizzou (that has since gone down as a classic Sooner comeback).

Still, it comes down to Nebraska. Beat them, and we are in the Orange Bowl, again.

Of all the games I remember, this is the first one where I got to see oranges on the field, and it was quite a site. We had been on probation in 73 and 74, and had fallen short of Miami for years before that. We were hungry for the beach.

We wound up beating the Huskers handily and the game became a celebration of Sooner excellence during our run to a second consecutive national championship.

As I remember, oranges rained down during most of the fourth quarter.

Then the moment happened. During one break in action, about three oranges hit the hard artificial turf roughly together. Two rolled away, the third split open on impact, with a half rolling to a stop at the feet of Joe Washington.

Washington bent down, picked up that half orange, and began sucking it for all he was worth.

Must have been refreshing.

NOTE: That's exactly how I remember it in my head, like it was yesterday, but I was just a kid at the time. But I've never seen it on TV. If anyone has any footage of that game, especially the oranges, I'd love to get a copy from you. PM me, please!

badger
6/18/2008, 11:28 AM
I'd point someone out to Robocop & Co. myself if I saw you someone throw oranges while the ball is IN PLAY.

I would also like to point out how silly someone would look if you threw an orange on the same alleged endzone streaking running back that a ref threw a flag.

This is why the Ruf-Neks no longer streak out before the extra point try, just in case it really wasn't a touchdown.

Now... I know you think you know better because you've been a Sooner fan longer and all, but considering the danger of pelting an orange and also the danger of incompetent refs, don't you think you should reconsider your position?

EDIT: I would also add that the college football atmosphere under Joe C. and the YSG has changed in just the short time I've been an OU student and fan. I remember games where we could still bring in homemade signs. Now, they're disallowed. Wouldn't it be a travesty if a fan were to start pelting oranges aimlessly and someone were to get hurt or OU were to get penalized early-on in the season? What do you think would happen? Would Joe C. say "Oh, that's an OU tradition, we'll just let it go." Heeeellll, no! The Ruf-Neks were an OU tradition that were first relegated to saving the Schooner run until after extra points, then they were kicked off the field during pregame after the Nebraska incident and now they're under the direct control of the athletic department! I would say that Joe C. would immediately call for his YSG to immediately remove anyone from the game that is seen with oranges, much less throwing them. Security at the gate will be even more annoying as they're told to look out for oranges.

I IMPLORE Sooner fans to consider the consequences of acting irresponsibly! If you get oranges banned at games early during a season when were Orange-bowl bound for the title game, this should be grounds for an SF.com permaban!

Big Red Ron
6/18/2008, 12:07 PM
I'd point someone out to Robocop & Co. myself if I saw you someone throw oranges while the ball is IN PLAY.Cry me a river kid.

I remember oranges thrown in the endzone during our run in the 80's with Holliway streaking to the endzone more than once.

You kids obviously weren't around.

badger
6/18/2008, 12:28 PM
http://retaildesigndiva.blogs.com/retail_design_diva/images/beg.jpg
Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease promise me you're not going to do encourage anyone to do anything crazy involving oranges, Ron? I don't want the oranges gone, I just want them to not get out of hand to the point that there's orange regulation. The reason I went Lord Polonius on this thread earlier is because I think this is something that we as fans can self-regulate without Joe C. intervention.

So... can we resolve to revise the rules list as opposed to just not have rules? Pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease? :)

OUMallen
6/18/2008, 12:41 PM
Cry me a river kid.

I remember oranges thrown in the endzone during our run in the 80's with Holliway streaking to the endzone more than once.

You kids obviously weren't around.

No, I wasn't, but on the other side of that coin, I'd say anyone that thinks throwing oranges during play is a good idea is WAY WAY out of touch with policy at OU football games right now.

Big Red Ron
6/18/2008, 12:53 PM
I'd say anyone that thinks throwing oranges during play is a good idea is WAY WAY out of touch with policy at OU football games right now.Yeah cuz it's so much more fun these days.:rolleyes:

badger
6/18/2008, 01:10 PM
OK! So given that BRR hasn't given me grief yet, I assume that he's cool with a revised set of ORANGE RULES...

1- No throwing oranges except for breaks in action from the game.
Exception: Orange thrower designate, determined by SF.com based on proximity to the field and throwing arm accuracy and strength, may throw a single (1) orange onto the field at such a time predetermined to be the "statement orange" moment.

2- No orange throwing at any person not on the field. Oranges as weapons against spectators is not endorsed and not welcomed at Owen Field. If you are of the weak armed variety or are unsure of your ability to make the distance to the field, do not throw oranges.

3- Orange throwing must be done in celebration at celebratory moments. No throwing of oranges shall be done when the team is not ranked in the top two of the BCS, or if said instance is before the BCS, no orange throwing shall be done unless OU is undefeated. Orange throwing shall be limited to when OU is ahead comfortably by two or more touchdowns and shall only commence after extra points of touchdowns.

4- Oranges in Owen Field must be fresh. Violation of this rule shall result in rotten tomatoes filled with salmonella.

5-Postgame oranges shall be limited to areas of the field where our players and coaches would not be moving targets. Bob Stoops doesn't like Ruf-Nek paddle butt taps, he probably wouldn't like an orange to the head.

Better, Ron?

Sooner_Havok
6/18/2008, 01:27 PM
Heh, I hope that Ginsu buys the rights to the Orange bowl soon :D

OUMallen
6/18/2008, 02:07 PM
Yeah cuz it's so much more fun these days.:rolleyes:

Who said anything about fun?

TheUnnamedSooner
6/18/2008, 02:29 PM
f*** the rules. I will throw oranges when and where I please. I might even throw one in badger and mallen's general direction.

badger
6/18/2008, 03:35 PM
Compromise: Orange throwing practice at SoonerFans.com tailgate. The best orange thrower will win the title of "Orange thrower designate" to throw out the inaugural orange of the 2008 season following the opening touchdown.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/18/2008, 03:38 PM
practicing is aggylike

OUMallen
6/18/2008, 03:54 PM
practicing is aggylike

Doubletrue.

badger
6/18/2008, 03:57 PM
Doubletrue.

Two trues make a false! And can't we start calling oranges "crimsons" so that we no longer have to mention our hated color of the rivals?

KingBarry
6/18/2008, 04:48 PM
Two trues make a false! And can't we start calling oranges "crimsons" so that we no longer have to mention our hated color of the rivals?

That's one of the things about throwing oranges at OU.

Our colors are red and white. A very sedated and classic crimson with white, not the bright red of, say, Nebraska -- or a brilliant blue like KU. Always very reserved, and appropriate.

And when the sun is shining on the rich green field, surrounded by crimson and cream, it is just very nice contrast of color and shape.

Then, a few times a decade -- you mix in that bright natural orange color. The ONLY time orange is ever a good color in Norman, we use to celebrate our own success.

And it just looks great.

At least to my eye.

JLEW1818
6/18/2008, 06:13 PM
Just toss a few at Chase.

ditto

OK2LA
6/18/2008, 07:03 PM
I plan on throwing an orange at the coin flip of the UT Chattanooga game.

badger
6/18/2008, 08:40 PM

If you hit the ref when he says "the play is under review" it's a million points.

tulsaoilerfan
6/18/2008, 09:04 PM
First Thread!

Assuming that we are in the title hunt late in the season, would renewing the orange tossing tradition be appropriate?

So you're fessing up to throwing oranges back in the day buddy?;)

KingBarry
6/18/2008, 11:08 PM
So you're fessing up to throwing oranges back in the day buddy?;)

I tossed a few, but very few.

goingoneight
6/18/2008, 11:27 PM
I hope we throw the burnt orange quarterback down time and time again behind the LOS this year.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/18/2008, 11:32 PM

KARMA.

Can't believe I'm gonna agree with the shark (much less "diarrhea-colored-blood")... but yeah... a bunch o' you are gonna have to live through a couple-three years (or so) of three and four loss seasons to get your minds right.

The reason we did not play for a National Championship last year is because we had a fairly young team that thought it could just show up in Boulder and chalk one up. And don't say a word about the Tech game, losing your nation-leading QB late in the season like that is a perfectly legitimate reason for dropping the game. There was no excuse for CU.

I'm kinda sick of the prevaling "WUR O - U!" attitude among the n00bs around here.

This next season is going to be a dogfight. I'm not saying this team can't do it. But we're not going to dominate a whole bunch of teams on our schedule....

Including... chalk it up now... Nebraska. They could easily be the ones chucking Oranges at the end of the game next year.

Feel free to call me out on it if I'm way off.... won't bother me one bit to savor the win and say I was wrong.

SOONERxWife73
6/19/2008, 12:48 PM
ever heard of blood oranges..they are red inside..we all need to only throw blood oranges

badger
6/20/2008, 02:40 PM
You ever notice how citrus-filled are round oranges can be?
http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/681/thatsthejokecz8.jpg

Big Red Ron
8/2/2008, 05:47 PM
If "fruit" isn't thrown during our Orange bowl year, that's a bad omen.

PLaw
8/3/2008, 11:25 AM
First Thread!

Not to do so would bring much displeasure to the Oklahoma Football gods.

BOOMER

Big Red Ron
8/5/2008, 04:02 PM
Who said anything about fun?

You are out of touch. Hope you get a beat-down if you ever have a positive play called back for throwing objects onto the field during play.Enjoy the silence and whatever else comes your way, you little insignificant, rule following, bandwagon, new boy, chump azz little kid.!!!:hot:

Sooner_Wagon
8/5/2008, 11:40 PM
This is my first post, but bear with me - I couldn't help but share one of my favorite memories of 2000.

I was still very new to the traditions and history of the Sooner Nation. I had heard from a couple of little old ladies that it had been tradition to throw Oranges at games signifying going to the Orange Bowl.

Well, I was in the Pride and it was OU/saxet. A bunch of the box lunches that year (including mine) had oranges in them. ;) I was so over-joyed at the outcome of the game, and frankly couldn't believe it - all I had evern known from being at the game the few years before was losing.
It was 63-14 and the seconds were winding down in the game. I grabbed orange from my boxed lunch, and we stood on the sidelines the last minute of the game (awaiting our post-game concert and the inevitible announcement that Boren had cancelled class :D ) and I couldn't help myslelf. I hurled the orange onto the field.
Someone asked me why I did that - and I told them it was to signify we are going to the Orange Bowl! They asked if i knew that was the NC game, and I said yes.
To top it off, I remember read in the DOK the next day from some writer that someone had thrown an orange on the field - and tho' harking back to the days of yore, it was a little early for that.
I look back on it and think that in some way, I knew what was going to happen. :)

KingDavid
8/5/2008, 11:56 PM
This is my first post, but bear with me - I couldn't help but share one of my favorite memories of 2000.

I was still very new to the traditions and history of the Sooner Nation. I had heard from a couple of little old ladies that it had been tradition to throw Oranges at games signifying going to the Orange Bowl.

Well, I was in the Pride and it was OU/saxet. A bunch of the box lunches that year (including mine) had oranges in them. ;) I was so over-joyed at the outcome of the game, and frankly couldn't believe it - all I had evern known from being at the game the few years before was losing.
It was 63-14 and the seconds were winding down in the game. I grabbed orange from my boxed lunch, and we stood on the sidelines the last minute of the game (awaiting our post-game concert and the inevitible announcement that Boren had cancelled class :D ) and I couldn't help myslelf. I hurled the orange onto the field.
Someone asked me why I did that - and I told them it was to signify we are going to the Orange Bowl! They asked if i knew that was the NC game, and I said yes.
To top it off, I remember read in the DOK the next day from some writer that someone had thrown an orange on the field - and tho' harking back to the days of yore, it was a little early for that.
I look back on it and think that in some way, I knew what was going to happen. :)

The good news is that was a helluva first post, Wagon!

The bad news is that you just set a really high bar for yourself going forward . . . I'm expecting GREAT THINGS from you! Great, awesome, glorious, orange-throwing-worthy things.

Note: the story would be better if the Orange were to have struck Chris Sims in the side of the head or something like that. So, maybe you can work that in over the years as the story evolves and before you tell it to your great grandchildren it'll have even better embellishments than that?

KingDavid
8/5/2008, 11:56 PM

Mods, how can I nominate this for Best First Post of the year?

soonerboy_odanorth
8/6/2008, 12:12 AM
Actually, this thread is reason numero uno that the current BCS so-called "plus one" doth sucketh to the max.

We have some potential that we could make the title game. And while winning would certainly be "teh win", with said crystal foosball and stuff... it would still suck not to have on display the 2008 Orange Bowl trophy which we so richly might deserve.

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 12:24 AM
Actually, this thread is reason numero uno that the current BCS so-called "plus one" doth sucketh to the max.

We have some potential that we could make the title game. And while winning would certainly be "teh win", with said crystal foosball and stuff... it would still suck not to have on display the 2008 Orange Bowl trophy which we so richly might deserve.

true.

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 12:31 AM

And finally, after all these years, I have the opportunity to apologize.

I am truly sorry. My feet slipped as I was throwing it. Please forgive me.:eek:

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 12:36 AM
Yeah, like they did when I threw them in 1985 and 2000. :rolleyes:

Texas knows little of football Gods, other than they come from Oklahoma, caugh, Darrell Royal.

:gary:

Ummm. Probably don't want to put the argument for greatness onto the turf of "from what state did they come from?"

I mean, let's not forget that much of our talent is born and bred south of the Red River . . .

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 12:40 AM

Rule #8: Oranges shall not be thrown during games with non-Div I opponents . . .

Otherwise, phenomenal idea!

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 12:46 AM

As long as you're in the confines of your own living room, that would be just fine.

Otherwise, it would be a clear violation of Rule #8.

MrJimBeam
8/6/2008, 05:32 AM
Let oranges rain down from the heavens and smite all that is not Sooner.

SoonerEmpire
8/6/2008, 05:59 AM
I say if, in the improbable event, a player from the opposing Offense breaks through our defense and looks sure to score a touchdown, we should all throw oranges in hopes of pelting said opposing football player, with the intent of knocking him down. All season. Every game... even if it's *IN* the BCS title game! ;)

Vegas Sooner
8/6/2008, 06:17 AM
....DON'T DO IT! We aren't playing in the actual Orange Bowl game, you would make The University of Oklahoma look like they have idiot fans, not worth the risk(like are unnamed wannabe rapper).

KingBarry
8/6/2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks to all for reviving my very first thread on Soonerfans.com. Ahh, the memories are coming back......

And Wagon even got his first, awesome post in there as well.

Seems the concensus is that oranges are still appropriate even if our goal is not the Orange Bowl game.

That's cool with me. Just hope we have reason to throw them.

Big Red Ron
8/6/2008, 04:05 PM
Ummm. Probably don't want to put the argument for greatness onto the turf of "from what state did they come from?"

I mean, let's not forget that much of our talent is born and bred south of the Red River . . .
We've never won a Championship with more texans on our roster than Oklahomans and we have 3 Oklahoman Sooner Heisman winners to only one texan.

KingDavid
8/6/2008, 10:49 PM
We've never won a Championship with more texans on our roster than Oklahomans and we have 3 Oklahoman Sooner Heisman winners to only one texan.

You make a good point; but I'm not sure it says anything of substance to my earlier point. We still have ample reasons to be grateful to the State of Texas for the fine talent we've harvested from within her borders. And in terms of "football Gods," Texas has grown far more for us than vice-versa.

Bring on the negs. But it's the simple truth that we would not be the program that we are if we didn't have that recruiting ground right in our backyard.

olevetonahill
8/7/2008, 12:27 AM
Mods, how can I nominate this for Best First Post of the year?

Its called Green spek . :D

olevetonahill
8/7/2008, 12:31 AM
As an Aside
Ive Nevar thrown an Orange . And Yes Ive been to a Lot of Games .
I take quiet satisfaction In Watching My Sooners Rule :cool:

KingBarry
8/7/2008, 07:25 AM
As an Aside
Ive Nevar thrown an Orange . And Yes Ive been to a Lot of Games .
I take quiet satisfaction In Watching My Sooners Rule :cool:

I respect your class, and I would never criticize it, but I just like to see the oranges -- when it's deserved.

olevetonahill
8/7/2008, 08:13 AM
I respect your class, and I would never criticize it, but I just like to see the oranges -- when it's deserved.

I aint sayin its wrong . Just sayin Ive never done it .:D

OUMallen
8/7/2008, 06:15 PM
I aint sayin its wrong . Just sayin Ive never done it .:D

It's pretty dadgum liberating when done at the right moment!

OUMallen
8/7/2008, 06:21 PM
Enjoy the silence and whatever else comes your way, you little insignificant, rule following, bandwagon, new boy, chump azz little kid.!!!:hot:

Wow, you could really tell all that? Am I so transparent? I thought NOT having positive plays called back due to fan interference was a good thing. But now I see that I should throw oranges when the ball is in play, be significant, not follow rules, don't be band wagon, be old, be savvy, be big, and be a MAN!

/Dang, I thought for sure my bandwagonness wasn't showing...

Jimminy Crimson
8/7/2008, 06:36 PM
Wow, you could really tell all that? Am I so transparent? I thought NOT having positive plays called back due to fan interference was a good thing. But now I see that I should throw oranges when the ball is in play, be significant, not follow rules, don't be band wagon, be old, be savvy, be big, and be a MAN!

You're not 40 yet... :texan:

Big Red Ron
8/8/2008, 06:54 PM
There has never been a play called back because an Orange was thrown as a Sooner enters the end zone, in the 4th quarter of a blowout.

The throwing of oranges is pretty much an OU tradition, Nebraska used to do it too but they have no reason to these days.

It used to be our annual tradition, now its only a quadrennial tradition; I doubt will ever die.

olevetonahill
8/10/2008, 02:55 AM
bump