PDA

View Full Version : So I am at my first Big Conference for Work

royalfan5
6/16/2008, 05:48 PM
I'm in Nashville at the Gaylord Opryland. I'm kind of disappointed I will miss Merle Haggard by a week. This is my first time at a Resort of any kind, and it is kind disorienting for some used to Super8's. The whole thing seems kind of excessive to me. On the upside, I am getting to wear my seersucker pants in the heat they were intended for. Also, I was pleasantly surprised by the whole Southwest Airlines experience. Now I just need to find a restaurant to hike to.

Viking Kitten
6/16/2008, 05:50 PM
What do you want to bet Sicem gets giddy as a schoolgirl at the thought of seersucker pants?

reevie
6/16/2008, 06:58 PM
Did you hear the story about the dyslexic who was going to go to Cox's to get a seersucker, but ended up at Sears?

mdklatt
6/16/2008, 07:28 PM
On the upside, I am getting to wear my seersucker pants in the heat they were intended for.

Do you have a cane, too? I don't think you're allowed to wear seersucker without sporting a cane and frequently using the phrases "the vapors" and "well I declare". Beware--they'll probably nasty up your iced tea by dumping sugar in it. Crazy southerners.

soonerscuba
6/16/2008, 07:43 PM
On the plus side, his trick knee will tell him about incoming storms well before any meteorologist will.

kbsooner21
6/16/2008, 07:45 PM
Those Gaylord hotels are nothing short of fascinating aren't they? :D

Scott D
6/16/2008, 07:46 PM
pshaw super 8..smalltimer. it's all about the points son.

AlbqSooner
6/16/2008, 07:49 PM
Word to the wise. In a resort, they usually have an in-room refrigerator. DO NOT, under ANY circumstances touch it. They charge MEGA bucks for the contents. Some of the newer ones are computer controlled for inventory purposes. If you pick something up to look at it you are charged. Even if you immediately put it back in the same spot, the computer thinks it has been consumed, orders a replacement and bills your account.

Scott D
6/16/2008, 07:52 PM
makes me glad the only contents in the fridge in this hotel room are what I've put in it.

Okla-homey
6/16/2008, 08:05 PM
Three words: "Tootsie's Orchid Lounge"

http://www.tootsies.net/index.html

GO! Its required for all Nashville pilgrims. Right across the street is Ernest Tubbs' Record Shop. Make sure you pay your respects at the Opry (not the fake one at Opryland) The original. All within a block of Tootsies.

Funny story. One time, me and Mrs Homey were knocking back a few cold ones at Tootsies (we lived 60 miles north of Nashville) and I got the hiccups. When I get hiccups, its tough for me to shake them. This rather hard looking woman seated nearby overheard and took pity on me. She winked at Mrs. Homey then lifted up her top and flashed me with her breastages. My hiccups disappeared.

Within walking distance are many eating places.

Might also want to have a cup of coffee at the Maxwell House as long as you're in that part of town.

StoopTroup
6/16/2008, 08:20 PM
I need to ride my Hawg there someday. ;)

royalfan5
6/16/2008, 08:25 PM
I walked by the Airport Tooties. So apparently there is some sort of college sports related conference here as well. I was walking to find a sandwich, and I see a dude fully decked out in Sooner gear, followed by 5 dudes in Texas gear, followed by 3 dudes in Penn State attire. There were a bunch of other schools around as well, and they all had a conference badge on. But I don't know what conference would need a bunch of pudgy white dudes running around in their teams gear.

GottaHavePride
6/16/2008, 08:27 PM
Beware--they'll probably nasty up your iced tea by dumping sugar in it. Crazy southerners.

That would be a crazy Southerner.

REAL Southerners know that you put the sugar in the tea while it's still hot, and THEN you pour it over ice. It dissolves properly that way.

You also have to brew the tea extra-strong, so that the ice dilutes it to the proper strength. That means more tea, not longer brewing. FYI, sun tea is just brown water - it never gets hot enough to actually brew.

StoopTroup
6/16/2008, 08:27 PM
Real programs only need one representative.

Hot Rod
6/17/2008, 07:51 AM
Don't they give Goo-Goo clusters on the pillows there? It's been awhile.

Taxman71
6/17/2008, 09:58 AM
Don't bring the strippers back to your company-paid-for hotel room.

Sincerely,
Mike Price

mdklatt
6/17/2008, 10:30 AM
REAL Southerners know that you put the sugar in the tea while it's still hot, and THEN you pour it over ice. It dissolves properly that way.

I don't care how they do it, it's just plain wrong.

royalfan5
6/17/2008, 10:35 AM
Don't they give Goo-Goo clusters on the pillows there? It's been awhile.

I didn't get one that I noticed. They keynote speaker was a wingnut this morning. Apparently, the world is controlled by a Saudi/Wall Street Journal Conspiracy.

sooner_born_1960
6/17/2008, 10:37 AM
I've been to a few conferences in my day. I never waste my time on the keynote.

royalfan5
6/17/2008, 10:54 AM
I've been to a few conferences in my day. I never waste my time on the keynote.
I've now learned my lesson. The workshops and such look like they can be useful as well as the expo, though.

Whet
6/17/2008, 12:44 PM
do you tell people to address you as "Colonel"?

Blue
6/17/2008, 11:55 PM
I don't care how they do it, it's just plain wrong.

Southerners don't know how to make iced tea? We invented iced tea.

mdklatt
6/18/2008, 09:24 AM
Southerners don't know how to make iced tea? We invented iced tea.

Well they invented English in England and they don't know what the hell they're doing with it, either. Tell me where "Lester Square" is in London. I dare you.