PDA

View Full Version : Who will be our top 5 DE's this year?

soonerfan28
6/16/2008, 04:35 PM
This is probably the deepest position on our team this year with the exception of RB and Venables likes to use multiple DE's to keep guys fresh. I was just wanting opinions on who our top 5 DE's are going to be this fall. I would have to say that English and Williams wil start with Beal and Alexander coming in off of the bench. The 5th DE would either be Alan Davis or Washington. Beal could also be the starter with Williams being the first off of the bench. Any opinions?

JLEW1818
6/16/2008, 04:51 PM
Thats looks good to me. But those names might look a little scary to Colt McCoy. hehehe and little chase.

NormanPride
6/16/2008, 05:27 PM
Beal may challenge Williams for a starting role at some point in the year. That kid was almost as destructive as English, and almost kept us in the game with Tceh. Alexander couldn't be stopped in the spring game, but that's not a true indicator of his abilities. If his run support is as good as his pass-rushing he should be able to contribute early and often. How scary is that?

I thought I read a quote from Venables at some point about how he was thinking about bringing in Washington on 3rd down just to wreck the QB and gas the OTs. That's nice. :)

soonerfan28
6/16/2008, 05:35 PM
Ya, I heard Venables say that on the sports animal a couple of Fridays ago.

RedstickSooner
6/16/2008, 06:11 PM
I don't think he'll make it, but I sure wish Jonte Bumpus was gonna be up there. What an awesome name :)

soonerfan28
6/16/2008, 06:19 PM
What's up with Bumpus? Can the guy just not gain weight? Is he the next Laenar Nixon?

goingoneight
6/16/2008, 08:25 PM
Someone told me bumpus was considering a position change. Take that with a grain of salt, of course.

Rhino
6/16/2008, 10:49 PM
Bumpus had two knee surgeries last year while he redshirted, so he's behind the curve, and he's still very thin for his position. He'll just be a redshirt freshman this season - give him time.

After this season, he has a chance to work into the rotation. Davis & Williams are gone and English is possibly gone. You're left with Beal, Alexander & Washington with assumed experience -- Bumpus, Anderson & King with assumed no experience.

Blitzkrieg
6/17/2008, 08:29 AM
It will be hard to keep Beal off the field. He plays fast. I loved the game in the B12CG where Daniel was rolling out with ao-lineman in front of him that had Beal in his sight, Jeremy just blew by the guy and dropped Daniel for a big loss. Great play.

KantoSooner
6/17/2008, 11:54 AM
I am looking forward to the first real nasty pass rush we've had in years. Could be a very fun fall.

CU Sooner
6/17/2008, 12:15 PM
I am looking forward to the first real nasty pass rush we've had in years. This will be a very fun fall.

Fixed;)

Widescreen
6/17/2008, 12:58 PM
Whatever happens, I hope Williams has a monster year. He deserves it.

soonerfan28
6/17/2008, 01:42 PM
Anybody know where Pryce Macon is on the list?

Rhino
6/17/2008, 02:48 PM
Forgot about Macon.

Probably goes something like:
English (JR) / Beal (SO)
Williams (SR) / Alexander (FR) / Washington (FR)
Davis (SR) / Macon (SO)
Anderson (FR) / Bumpus (FR) / King (FR)

soonerfan28
6/17/2008, 04:00 PM
Macon looks like he's in the same mold as Calvin Thibodeaux.

RedstickSooner
6/23/2008, 11:45 AM
Thread bumpus.