PDA

View Full Version : Wild Black Berries

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 08:24 AM
We picked about 3 gallons worth Saturday morning, and we plan to make Jelly next weekend. We also canned 13 quarts of green beans, fixed 100 yards of fence, and picked another three gallons of green beans for the freezer. Overall it was a productive weekend.

My point? I don't think I have one. I'm just wondering how many of ya'll have black berries growing in your fields. There are tons of them left in ours just waiting to be picked. It killed me to have to leave them to return to home. :(

OUDoc
6/16/2008, 08:26 AM
I am field-less. :(

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 08:28 AM
I am field-less. :(

Come on over, there's more than enough for the entire board. I think I'm heading back to pick more Wednesday.

SoonerJack
6/16/2008, 08:47 AM
Hubler. If I was anywhere near you I would be over to pick blackberries. Love em.

Now, usually a blackberry foraging session is accompanied by a chigger infestation. Are you itching yet!?

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 08:50 AM
Hubler. If I was anywhere near you I would be over to pick blackberries. Love em.

Now, usually a blackberry foraging session is accompanied by a chigger infestation. Are you itching yet!?

More from the Fence building than the black berry picking. I sprayed pretty good. Ticks are not afraid of DEET though. I itch a little, but not as bad as two weeks ago when I was cleaning out a round bailer.

C&CDean
6/16/2008, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a light weekend on the Deanarosa....

I have killed most of the blackberries on the property since they tend to take over a pasture. I've left 3 huge clumps of them though for momma. I helped her pick some berries last Friday, but it ain't my cup of tea. My arms and hands are gashed all to hell. She's put up about 4-5 gallons so far, and we've got a whole ****pot left to pick.

Fence? Don't even get me started. The neighbor's bull got out and came down the road out front. My bull (Mike Tyson) decided to tear out some fence and go whip his ***. I spent a couple hours yesterday fixing it before heading back to the hay field.

I've dozed about 100 more trees to clear another fence row I'm putting in. Fence work in the summer sucks the big one.

Weekend mornings are spent cutting wood/burning brush, and afternoons are spent cutting/raking/baling hay. I cut about 3 rick of wood Sunday, and baled 80 roundbales.

If you spray your feet, lower legs, waist area, and arms with Off! it'll keep the ticks off. I'm out there every day that I'm in town, and I've only gotten one tick bite so far. No chigger bites either (knock on wood). Also, not all Off! is created equal. Get the mega-Deet stuff.

City folk just don't know what they're missing when they're laying up till noon before going out for brunch and ****.

yermom
6/16/2008, 09:12 AM
i wouldn't say i was missing it, Dean

C&CDean
6/16/2008, 09:14 AM
Come spend a summer working with me and you'll be skinnier than Doleo. The only way I keep my fatass fat is by shoveling down gignormous amounts of grub.

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 09:35 AM
Oh, and ice cold water never tastes better than while sitting on a tractor at 4 PM with a 105 heat index beating you down. :D

C&CDean
6/16/2008, 09:40 AM
Oh, and ice cold water never tastes better than while sitting on a tractor at 4 PM with a 105 heat index beating you down. :D

Gallons and gallons of the stuff. Yesterday morning I had already drank 5 bottles of water before 9 am. Did I mention that cutting wood in the summertime is dumb?

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 09:54 AM
Gallons and gallons of the stuff. Yesterday morning I had already drank 5 bottles of water before 9 am. Did I mention that cutting wood in the summertime is dumb?
We were thinking the same thing about fence building. Grandpa had 7 months to tell us to build a fence, but it all of a sudden became a priority in June. He views a visit from me as free labor. Now don't get me wrong, I happily mow and edge the yard, build fence, and what not. I just find it amusing when he starts getting angry when I don't bust my *** to run and get them there fencing pliers.

He really is a great man though. He and Dad taught me to never fear manual labor.

You probably already know it, but make sure you get those electrolytes in you as well. I forgot and got a little fuzzy headed Saturday night. It went away after I downed a gatorade bottle.

yermom
6/16/2008, 10:03 AM
Come spend a summer working with me and you'll be skinnier than Doleo. The only way I keep my fatass fat is by shoveling down gignormous amounts of grub.

you trying to kill me? :O

SoonerInKCMO
6/16/2008, 10:13 AM
You country people and your 'manual labor'; that ****'s wack. ;)

I remember one summer when I actually did some manual labor... must've been 13 or 14. Wasn't really my thing. ;)

soonerboomer93
6/16/2008, 10:24 AM
I slept in

got up, had food

checked the news

piddled around
hit the gym for an hour
stopped and got food to cook at the store
mowed the yard
cooked my dinner

(yes i am single)

my weekend was plenty productive for me.

C&CDean
6/16/2008, 11:29 AM
I slept in

got up, had food

checked the news

piddled around
hit the gym for an hour
stopped and got food to cook at the store
mowed the yard
cooked my dinner

(yes i am single)

my weekend was plenty productive for me.

Yeah, but 80 roundbales = ~$3,200, keeping a good bull in = ~$35-50K, and good blackberry cobbler and jam = priceless.

I don't think your weekend was that productive.

Flagstaffsooner
6/16/2008, 11:43 AM
We picked about 3 gallons worth Saturday morning, and we plan to make Jelly next weekend. We also canned 13 quarts of green beans, fixed 100 yards of fence, and picked another three gallons of green beans for the freezer. Overall it was a productive weekend.

My point? I don't think I have one. I'm just wondering how many of ya'll have black berries growing in your fields. There are tons of them left in ours just waiting to be picked. It killed me to have to leave them to return to home. :(Seems like you are really getting into the aggie lifestyle. Are you cheating on your wife with a ewe yet?;)

soonerboomer93
6/16/2008, 11:46 AM
um, i uploaded line specifications for a job around 1 am sunday morning.

got a very thankful call about me doing so this morning from the lady in S.C. since I saved her 2 weeks of work.

I billed out my time spent.

Then I went back to my video game :D

that was productive

yermom
6/16/2008, 11:50 AM
is it true what they say about the darkness of the berries?

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 12:04 PM
Seems like you are really getting into the aggie lifestyle. Are you cheating on your wife with a ewe yet?;)

Heh! I shoulda known this post was coming. Nope, I'll die a Soonerfan even as I get the degree elsewhere. I've done this type of work since I was about 11 years old back in Gore, America. I may head out again tomorrow to help some more.

Yermom, what have you heard regarding the darkness of the berries?

Bone
6/16/2008, 12:33 PM
Fresh blackberries are delicious. Regarding the "darkness of the berries", I sense an inappropriate comment incoming.

yermom
6/16/2008, 12:35 PM
Fresh blackberries are delicious. Regarding the "darkness of the berries", I sense an inappropriate comment incoming.

once you go to black berries, you never go back

kbsooner21
6/16/2008, 01:38 PM
The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice :D

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 01:57 PM
The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice :D
That's actually true. The same can be said about Wild versus Tame blackberries.

frankensooner
6/16/2008, 02:22 PM
Are you still BFLing?

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 02:36 PM
Are you still BFLing?

Not as faithful as I should be.

StoopTroup
6/16/2008, 05:28 PM
There are so many freaking City Rabbits around here.

They are getting so thick you can watch them chase each other around bunny hump right in our front yard.

My kids wouldn't like me if they knew that I am thinking about thinning down the population. :D

Do people just let them loose when they stop thinking they are good pets?

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 07:15 PM
There are so many freaking City Rabbits around here.

They are getting so thick you can watch them chase each other around bunny hump right in our front yard.

My kids wouldn't like me if they knew that I am thinking about thinning down the population. :D

Do people just let them loose when they stop thinking they are good pets?

:confused:

StoopTroup
6/16/2008, 08:21 PM
:confused:

Those bastages would eat every blackberry we could grow around here.

Is that better? :pop:

We've got fata$$ squirrels and birds that eat and poop everywhere too.

GottaHavePride
6/16/2008, 08:31 PM
Wild Blackberry:

http://www.blackberrycool.com/wp-content/shanes_blackberry.png

Heh. Survivor dood carved one out of wood.

Fraggle145
6/16/2008, 08:39 PM
We picked a ton last week at the Berry Patch (http://www.txberry.com/) in Sadler, TX.

Yum!

soonerhubs
6/16/2008, 08:40 PM
Those bastages would eat every blackberry we could grow around here.

Is that better? :pop:

We've got fata$$ squirrels and birds that eat and poop everywhere too.

:D Makes sense now. That's why I have to go picking b/c the squirrels and birds could hit any day now.

Chuck Bao
6/16/2008, 09:32 PM
And snakes. That was my biggest concern in picking wild blackberries as a kid on my family farm.

Turd_Ferguson
6/16/2008, 09:35 PM
FYI, vinegar rubbed on the shins, ankles and feets will keep the piece o'**** chigger's off ya.

soonerhubs
6/20/2008, 09:29 PM
3 More gallons of Berries. 1.5 more gallons of Green Beans. I can't wait to own our own house again so we can grow a garden.

Blue
6/20/2008, 10:21 PM
Blackberry cobbler. Mmmm.