PDA

View Full Version : This just in...Southern Okla. woman deals with sewage disaster

Okla-homey
6/16/2008, 06:28 AM
almost 800 pounds of hooman poop!:eek:

KINGSTON, Okla. -- A Kingston woman came home earlier this week to see personal belongings buried in inches of raw sewage. It sounds like a bizarre nightmare, but that scenario is a sickening reality for one Marshall County woman.

It is something you really have to see to believe. The stench coming from the home of Tonya Riley in Kingston is almost unbearable, even from several feet away.

Riley says she came home from work on Tuesday and knew something was terribly wrong before she even got inside. What she saw oozing down her hallway was inches of raw human waste.

Experts say it is the result of an apparent city sewer blockage.

"This was completely flooded with feces and water and pee, and of course I smelled it. When I came in and I called the city guys and it’s estimated at 786.24 gallons of human feces got backed up into my house," Riley says.

Ms. Riley is single and lives alone. Of course, she cannot live in her home now. She says her trailer has been condemned because there is no way to completely clean up the mess. City crews vacuumed away the worst of it, but it is likely inside the walls and floor ducts.

http://www.kxii.com/news/headlines/19929869.html#

OUDoc
6/16/2008, 08:25 AM
Sell it to someone in Stillwater. It would be an upgrade.

SoonerInFla
6/16/2008, 08:50 AM
This happened to a friend of mine. At first The City said they'd take care of all the damage. Then the City lawyer got involved and said it wasn't their fault. At first all my buddy wanted was his house put back to the way it was before the turd invasion. By the time his lawyer got finished he had $25000 more than he needed to fix his home.

BigRedJed
6/16/2008, 10:53 AM
In Oklahoma City, you would be totally on your own in a situation like this, unless you or someone on your sewer main had reported a problem with backups to the city and they had yet to remedy it. City council turns down several people a month who go through channels trying to get the city to pay for sewage backups. It's really cut and dried. You'd better hope you've got good insurance, because there are NO circumstances other than pre-existing condition under which the city will come out of pocket.

When I had a new sewer line installed at my last house, I had a 4" PVC check valve (backflow preventer) installed inline. Peace of mind for only a few bucks. A few hundred if it's not part of a replacement project and you have to excavate the line to install it.

ousoonerfan
6/16/2008, 11:04 AM
That's just nasty!!

Flagstaffsooner
6/16/2008, 11:49 AM
Sell it to someone in Stillwater. It would be an upgrade.:D

Hot Rod
6/16/2008, 11:54 AM
Ms. Riley is single and lives alone. Of course, she cannot live in her home now.

Yeah, she may single for awhile...and DUH! I wouldn't want to live in it afterwards.

frankensooner
6/16/2008, 11:55 AM
I thought someone would post the Ryan's Family Steakhouse story by now.

6/16/2008, 12:17 PM
What a ****ty mess.

soonerbrat
6/16/2008, 12:26 PM
In Oklahoma City, you would be totally on your own in a situation like this, unless you or someone on your sewer main had reported a problem with backups to the city and they had yet to remedy it. City council turns down several people a month who go through channels trying to get the city to pay for sewage backups. It's really cut and dried. You'd better hope you've got good insurance, because there are NO circumstances other than pre-existing condition under which the city will come out of pocket.

When I had a new sewer line installed at my last house, I had a 4" PVC check valve (backflow preventer) installed inline. Peace of mind for only a few bucks. A few hundred if it's not part of a replacement project and you have to excavate the line to install it.

cut and dried? i'd say it's wet and squishy

M
6/16/2008, 01:05 PM
What a ****ty situation. ;) And the "single and lives alone" reference is shady journalism at its finest! :rolleyes:

bri
6/16/2008, 01:16 PM
Well, sh*t.

Viking Kitten
6/16/2008, 01:22 PM
What a ****ty situation. ;) And the "single and lives alone" reference is shady journalism at its finest! :rolleyes:

Yeah, whoever wrote that is a real turd.

M
6/16/2008, 01:28 PM

Yeah, that's some real crappy reporting.

Viking Kitten
6/16/2008, 01:30 PM
I bet that lady is so p**sed off.

yermom
6/16/2008, 01:35 PM
if she would would have been home, she would have been up **** creek

M
6/16/2008, 01:36 PM
Yeah. Why did that reporter have to drop the bomb about that lady's personal ****? I think he needs to pop a squat back to journalism 101.

Viking Kitten
6/16/2008, 01:39 PM
Aw M, if you suggested that to him, he'd just poo-poo the idea.

M
6/16/2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, he sounds like a real dungface.

Viking Kitten
6/16/2008, 01:48 PM
It's been a while since J-school, but it seems like avoiding that kind of personal info is either the Number 1 or Number 2 thing to remember when writing news.

6/16/2008, 01:49 PM
Excrement.

frankensooner
6/16/2008, 01:51 PM
I wonder if she had any fans on the floor?

Animal Mother
6/16/2008, 02:05 PM

Viking Kitten

Your avatar dances in time with Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam". I'm laughing myself silly watching it.

soonerboomer93
6/16/2008, 02:30 PM
now on youtube

2 girls, 1 trailer...

Okla-homey
6/16/2008, 03:13 PM
In Oklahoma City, you would be sh_t outta luck in a situation like this, unless you or someone on your sewer main had reported a problem with backups to the city and they had yet to remedy it. City council turns down several people a month who go through channels trying to get the city to pay for sewage backups. They are up Sh_t Creek without a paddle. You'd better hope you've got good insurance, because there are NO circumstances other than pre-existing condition under which the city will come out of pocket.

Fixed, and FWIW, standard homeowners policies exclude this kinda thing under "discharge, dispersal, release or escape of pollutants*".

*pollutants: solid, liquid, gaseous, contaminent or waste"

also, water or water-borne material below the surface of the ground caused by or resulting from human or animal forces or any act of nature.

In short, I bet this poor lady is hosed. Hopefully for her, its a rental.

DBrown
6/16/2008, 03:31 PM
It could actually be WORSE.....
she could live in JEFFERSON COUNTY,ALABAMA!

OUDoc
6/16/2008, 03:40 PM
I think I'd spend every last dollar going after the city. What other choice would you have?

6/16/2008, 05:24 PM
Might as well, for ****s and grins, if nothing else.

RedstickSooner
6/16/2008, 05:45 PM
it’s estimated at 786.24 gallons of human feces got backed up into my house

Okay, an *estimate* would be, "A lot." Or maybe "Hundreds of gallons." Possibly even "Seven or eight hundred gallons."

786.24 gallons? That's not an estimate. That's a creepily precise quantity.

Am I the only one who wonders how they came up with it?

Viking Kitten
6/16/2008, 05:47 PM

Somebody did a s**tload of measuring?

Harry Beanbag
6/16/2008, 06:11 PM
Okay, an *estimate* would be, "A lot." Or maybe "Hundreds of gallons." Possibly even "Seven or eight hundred gallons."

786.24 gallons? That's not an estimate. That's a creepily precise quantity.

You can probably get pretty close by measuring the depth and calculating the volume based on square footage. I'll let the other geniuses around here do the math. :)

yermom
6/16/2008, 06:34 PM
in terms of square footage, i'm thinking ~800 gallons isn't that much

tommieharris91
6/16/2008, 06:42 PM

That's still enough to make your place smell like ****.

6/17/2008, 04:32 AM
I wouldn't welcome an 800-galllon turd in my living room.

Three or four hundred, TOPS.

OUDoc
6/17/2008, 08:41 AM
I wouldn't welcome an 800-galllon turd in my living room.

Three or four hundred, TOPS.

Kitchen?

sooner_born_1960
6/17/2008, 09:25 AM
I think you need cubic footage to arrive at gallons.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/17/2008, 09:51 AM
happened to some people here in Mcalester and they didn't get anything for it...city manager said it was an Act of God and she needed to talk to God and make him pay for the damage..

OUDoc
6/17/2008, 09:59 AM
happened to some people here in Mcalester and they didn't get anything for it...city manager said it was an Act of God and she needed to talk to God and make him pay for the damage..

I think God would then tell me to break his nose.

yermom
6/17/2008, 10:03 AM
I think you need cubic footage to arrive at gallons.

yeah, but in terms of a whole house, 800 gallons would not be very deep

frankensooner
6/17/2008, 10:38 AM
It was a trailer home. I imagine 800 gallons in a single wide would be a lot.

sooner_born_1960
6/17/2008, 10:40 AM
A couple inches in a 600 ft. home.

hurricane'bone
6/17/2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.solarnavigator.net/films_movies_actors/actors_films_images/jeff_goldblum.jpg

That is one big pile of ****.