PDA

View Full Version : OU's Gundy has Sooners RBs tearing through defenses (Sportsline.com)

Bccajun
6/13/2008, 07:28 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10862359

Cale Gundy, Oklahoma

On Bob Stoops' staff, you have to be able to recruit and you have to be able to coach. Not much different than other staffs except Stoops and OU have that juice. Considering how much Oklahoma has won, if you can do those two things, you can write your own ticket. Gundy is about ready to be a head coach. At 36, he is a 13-year assistant coaching veteran, all but one of those tutoring running backs. The younger brother of Oklahoma State head coach Mike Gundy might be ready to move up. Why not?

As a former Sooners quarterback, Gundy has done pretty well for himself. Entering his 10th year at OU, Gundy has coached a Heisman finalist (Adrian Peterson, 1,925 yards in 2004) and won a national championship in which undersized Quentin Griffin helped OU. Two years later, Griffin ran for 1,884 yards. The next sensations are sophomore DeMarco Murray, who ran for 764 yards and 13 touchdowns as a freshman, and junior Chris Brown (611 yards). How do they do it? Ball security is one reason. In 2001, OU backs didn't fumble after the third game. They didn't lose a fumble in 2002. In 2003, they lost only two fumbles. Gundy has helped produce a 1,000-yard rusher four years in a row. Not bad resume fodder.

Go cast your vote for him
http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/8763048

BC

Big Red Ron
6/13/2008, 07:46 PM
God love 'em. However, I could have coached AD to 1900 yards. Probably could have recruited him with the OU brand and Bob standing behind me.

He's a Sooner and I'll always like him. I think it's time he heads out to see how he'd do on his own before we start talking HC material.

bluedogok
6/13/2008, 07:50 PM
If he decides to make the jump to a HC position, he needs to choose wisely.....

OU-HSV
6/13/2008, 07:51 PM
At 36, he is a 13-year assistant coaching veteran, all but one of those tutoring running backs.
Wow, He's almost a man like his brother ;) :D

soonerfan28
6/13/2008, 08:56 PM

I was waiting for it. Thanks.

Bone
6/13/2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the poll link.

BillyBall
6/13/2008, 11:48 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10862359
In 2001, OU backs didn't fumble after the third game. They didn't lose a fumble in 2002.

Q is a God in some civilizations.

Curly Bill
6/13/2008, 11:50 PM
Q is a God in some civilizations.

Wasn't Q some super-powerful being on one of the Star Treks?

NYC Poke
6/14/2008, 12:40 AM
Is blood really thicker than alma mater? I like to talk about football when I'm around my brother. I wonder what they talk about?

rainiersooner
6/14/2008, 01:30 AM
If he decides to make the jump to a HC position, he needs to choose wisely.....

So true. I know Chuck Long is a polarizing figure around these parts...but even his detractors would probably admit that if he been patient, he could have found a better HC opportunity than San Diego State - he's totally killed his reputation now.

KingBarry
6/14/2008, 01:54 AM
Cale is probably ready to be a Coordinator. If he's not now, he's probably not going to be. Let's let him see how that goes before anybody sunshine pumps him for Hot HC Candidate.

snp
6/14/2008, 02:16 AM
God love 'em. However, I could have coached AD to 1900 yards. Probably could have recruited him with the OU brand and Bob standing behind me.

He's a Sooner and I'll always like him. I think it's time he heads out to see how he'd do on his own before we start talking HC material.

That was a huge steal by Gundy and Wyatt. Even after he has left, he continues to provide. Lots of recruits, especially RB, favor us because of how awesome he was. But it was a great coup for us, definitely not easy.

I would like to see him be promoted to OC eventually. I also think he needs to be a little bit more involved before we say he's HC material, he is a great recruiter though. But why rush? He's got a great gig here.

soonerfan28
6/14/2008, 07:36 AM
He doesn't seem like he's in to much of a hurry to move up.

OU-HSV
6/14/2008, 08:46 AM
I was waiting for it. Thanks.

No prob....somebody had to say it.

Big Red Ron
6/14/2008, 04:04 PM
That was a huge steal by Gundy and Wyatt. Even after he has left, he continues to provide. Lots of recruits, especially RB, favor us because of how awesome he was. But it was a great coup for us, definitely not easy.

I would like to see him be promoted to OC eventually. I also think he needs to be a little bit more involved before we say he's HC material, he is a great recruiter though. But why rush? He's got a great gig here.Well, he's been passed by Heupel in the OC race and Josh has only coached a couple of years.

I can see Cale being a career assistant here, maybe Director of football operations in the Athletic Dept. or something.

Big Red Ron
6/14/2008, 04:06 PM
So true. I know Chuck Long is a polarizing figure around these parts...but even his detractors would probably admit that if he been patient, he could have found a better HC opportunity than San Diego State - he's totally killed his reputation now.Chuck couldn't get a better gig and he was out of time at Oklahoma. You think it was just us that noticed his horrible play calling and clock management?

badger
6/15/2008, 06:05 PM

What's older Gundy, like third-year coaching now? Therefore, he was a man back at 37 or 38 that you could come after without getting tiraded at.

Thus, The Real Gundy... TRG??? Anyway, Cale can be "the man" in about a year, just as soon as he gets us championship No. 8 :D

Oh, and how bouts Pickens Massive Stadium? So many ticket sales... which will fall next year when they don't have a game that fans actually want to attend, lolz :D

soonerfan28
6/15/2008, 06:42 PM
He seems to be a good recruiter and I remember they showed him on TV last year cheering the defense on. I think it was the only time I've ever seem him show much emotion.

Spanish Sooner
6/15/2008, 08:19 PM
He seems to be a good recruiter and I remember they showed him on TV last year cheering the defense on. I think it was the only time I've ever seem him show much emotion.

Gundy isthe coaches who usually tries to hype up the fans the most to cheer on defense and on big situations (3rd and short, etc) at games.

poke4christ
6/16/2008, 09:07 AM
Let's Say Cale becomes a coordinator for our in the next year or two and Bob Leaves in like 4 years. Do you think that Cale would be a good canidate? Do you think he's got what it takes to be the big man at OU?

badger
6/16/2008, 09:19 AM
Gundy isthe coaches who usually tries to hype up the fans the most to cheer on defense and on big situations (3rd and short, etc) at games.

I dunno... Josh Heupel certainly gave Cale a run for that title of "hype up the crowd coach" against Mizzou. The way Heupel was running up and down the sidelines... it was like he was a player again :D

Jason White's Third Knee
6/16/2008, 02:57 PM
WTF? Can Kevin Wilson get a bone here?

Jesus.

Tear Down This Wall
6/17/2008, 01:14 PM
Let's Say Cale becomes a coordinator for our in the next year or two and Bob Leaves in like 4 years. Do you think that Cale would be a good canidate? Do you think he's got what it takes to be the big man at OU?

Hell, no.

Big Red Ron
6/17/2008, 01:41 PM
Only if Kevin Wilson, Josh Heupel, Mike Stoops, Mike Leach and every other successful coach in the nation died in one plane crash. Then, probably still no.

KantoSooner
6/17/2008, 02:41 PM
Dimmit, Ron, we're tired of your ***** footing around. You have an opinion, then come right out with it.

tru2ou
6/17/2008, 03:29 PM

Go back and watch the OU-ut games he played in. You will see him rip his helmet off and race down the sidelines after scores. That was emotional....stupid...but emotional.

- Stay Tru

KingBarry
6/18/2008, 11:17 PM

I remember back in early 1999, when Stoops was filling out and announcing his first staff. Those were heady days, after years of incompetence out of the football offices, and you could feal the good time coming back with the new coaches.

I called one of my friends and said, breathlessly, "Can you believe this new staff? These are all-star coaches, except for Cale."

It's kind of amazing that's he's still one of the few left from the earliest days.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/21/2008, 04:39 PM
Go back and watch the OU-ut games he played in. You will see him rip his helmet off and race down the sidelines after scores. That was emotional....stupid...but emotional.

- Stay Tru

In those days we were an average team. We werent on national TV as much. He took his helmet off, not to get the team and fans fired up....but to get his face on TV. My roomates and I used to joke about which fired off quicker....the roughneck cannons, or Cale's helmet.

SoonerinSouthlake
6/21/2008, 04:45 PM
I will say (write) this. I have heard that Cale is THE most organized and well prepared coach on the staff day in and day out. That goes along way when it comes to managing people. Especially untrained thoroughbred athletes that have Gods gift, just don’t know how to use it

SoonerinSouthlake
6/21/2008, 04:52 PM
If there is a place online you can go, or any of you have access to impromptu team pictures take a look at them. Not the ones where dudes are sitting on bleachers and the coaches are on the ends...but the ones after an OU-TX or Bowlgame victory, on the field where players and coaches are celebrating. 99% of the time (yes I have done the real math) you will find Cale as close to Stoops as possible. Dude loves him some face time..and its obvious he figures spooning Bob during the picutres pictures is a good way to get it.

I suppose its no biggie...many people get to the top of that ladder by attaching themselves to the boss or someone who is successful, its just kind a funny.

KingBarry
6/22/2008, 02:45 AM
If there is a place online you can go, or any of you have access to impromptu team pictures take a look at them. Not the ones where dudes are sitting on bleachers and the coaches are on the ends...but the ones after an OU-TX or Bowlgame victory, on the field where players and coaches are celebrating. 99% of the time (yes I have done the real math) you will find Cale as close to Stoops as possible. Dude loves him some face time..and its obvious he figures spooning Bob during the picutres pictures is a good way to get it.

I suppose its no biggie...many people get to the top of that ladder by attaching themselves to the boss or someone who is successful, its just kind a funny.

So Cale's in love with himself, and loves to mug for the cameras. That doesn't make him a bad person, per se, but as my wife would say, 'that's not a compliment' either.

soonerfan28
6/23/2008, 07:41 AM

- Stay Tru

So you have to go back that far to find an emotional moment. I meant as a coach.