PDA

View Full Version : Got my OU-UT tickets Application today

stoopified
6/13/2008, 01:46 PM
I was a lottery winner for only the second time in the last 10 years.I am entitled to buy(2) $95 tickets.I'm fairly certain this game will better than the last RRS I saw(34-3 Horn win in 1998).

TheUnnamedSooner
6/13/2008, 01:54 PM
So, you're the reason we lost that game? ;)

Actually, that was one of the most boring rrs games evar.

SwitzerIsMyKing
6/13/2008, 02:26 PM
I was offered 4 this year, first time ever. Is this the year when we flip sides with Tx?

Ardmore_Sooner
6/13/2008, 02:28 PM
Is this the year when we flip sides with Tx?

Ain't happenin'.

badger
6/13/2008, 02:54 PM
I think they decided on tradition over tunnel... and isn't OU the home team and thus, "the decider" on that?

EDIT: Photographic proof! Home team always wears their main color jersey and not white. Here, Sammie is in white, while Texas is in ugly orange. As Sam has only played one year and only had the opportunity to beat Texas once...
http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=493&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=2453602
We are home.

colleyvillesooner
6/13/2008, 03:28 PM
Seat expansions created alot more tickets to go around. We got 6 when we usually get 4. Other people are getting them for the first time in 8-9 years.

stoopified
6/13/2008, 04:18 PM
Seat expansions created alot more tickets to go around. We got 6 when we usually get 4. Other people are getting them for the first time in 8-9 years.Ifigured expansion was why we got seats this year.Anyone Know the new capacity?I think I heard around 90,000 FWIW.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/13/2008, 04:23 PM
For the RRS it will be just over 92,000. It is going to be kinda loud, especially with those decks now sealing in the endzone noise.

OUMallen
6/16/2008, 09:06 AM
I didn't get any... :(

Taxman71
6/16/2008, 04:43 PM
I didn't get any... :(

Shouldn't this post be in the SO?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/16/2008, 10:31 PM
I also got two. This is the first time I've gotten tickets through the university since 02.

yermom
6/17/2008, 02:43 AM
i got two as well, only had season tix since 04

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/17/2008, 07:02 AM
Did you have to check the box to get entered for the drawing?

yermom
6/17/2008, 09:14 AM
i don't think so.

as far as i know, it's not the lottery thing

Paperclip
6/17/2008, 09:21 AM
Well good grief. If everyone's getting them I may just stay home since it won't be as cool.

;)

yermom
6/17/2008, 09:29 AM
i didn't get any for Poke St. though :(

OUMallen
6/17/2008, 11:41 AM
i don't think so.

as far as i know, it's not the lottery thing

I know of a person that is a first-time buyer (like me) that bought 1 season ticket (I bought 2) at the exact same donation level as me, and she got TWO OU/tx tickets and I got none. I think there's a lottery involved...gotta be...

yermom
6/17/2008, 12:01 PM
i mean there are a lot of new seats, they do still have a lottery though

badger
6/17/2008, 12:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the seating allotment as such?

1- 92,000/2 to each school. Thus, Oklahoma and Texas each get about 46,000 tickets for the game. Because OU's side has an endzone tunnel, OU will receive a few endzone seats on the opposite side. Otherwise, it's 50-yard line split OU-Texas!

2- The more you donate, the higher you are on "the list" OU's ticket allotment give money donors priority in choice seating, like the 50-yard line, like tickets next to the field, etc.

3- Student tickets shall be available for 50 percent of the student season ticket holders. Texas does the same thing, but of course, Texas' student section is larger to accommodate all 50 million of their Texas-sized enrollment. I think OU's student section is about 8,000 strong, while Texas has about 18,000. Thus, OU students receive 4,000 OU-Texas tickets, while Texas students receive 9,000.

4- Players families and recruits get to watch, too. Wasn't Adrian Peterson at the game before deciding to ditch Texas? BOOMER!

5- Lottery among OU season ticket holders to obtain face value tickets. I am not exactly sure how this works, but I think people will receive preference if they haven't received OU-Texas tickets in awhile and they probably also factor in whether these ticket holders needs special accommodations (or have donated any money recently to their beloved alma mater).

6- eBay away! State of Texas will not remind you that ticket scalping is illegal, so pay no attention to that man on the side of the road. Your tix will be confiscated by Texas police, who will then give them to his personal friends and/or the highest bidder.

yermom
6/17/2008, 04:50 PM
it appears the magic number was 29 points

budbarrybob
6/17/2008, 05:14 PM
I've had season tix for 9 yrs and this is the first season I've got the chance to buy them :D

stonecoldsoonerfan
6/19/2008, 08:10 AM
got a letter for 4 myself. i've been to 3 red river rivalrys. '74. '75. & '00. won all 3 of them. also won an n.c. everytime i've gone. hopefully the streak continues.....

microcap52
6/21/2008, 06:40 PM
For those of you who don't know how this works:

The "Sucker" (oops, I mean) Sooner Club was formed to extract money from us season ticket holders in the form of "donations"...I always preferred to call it blackmail or extortion when I spoke with the people in the ticket office but they failed to see my humor...years ago (I've been a season ticket holder for over 20 yrs) it truly was a lottery...as those of us who lamented through the days of Gibbs, Schnelly and Blake but continued to send our money for season tickets, we normally were rewarded with tickets to the Texas game...occasionally we even won...

When the big money supporters and alumni tired of losing and Stoops was hired all of this changed...the stadium has been sold out ever since, largely due to the "bandwagon" fans who quit supporting the team when times were hard...they are all back joined by a bunch of newbies who are rabid for a winner...you have to remember that when times were lean, that the school gave away tickets to the FCA, little sisters of the poor, and any one else that they could drag in off the street on game day just to fill seats...the opposing schools scarfed up tickets by the basket full and would show up in full force and then beat our butt...one year under Blake, we lost EVERY home game...being a Sooner fan meant real commitment, not just cheering for a winner...I gained some respect for my friends from OSU...

My boss at the time that Stoops was hired told me that we wouldn't be able to buy OU-Tx tickets without becoming a "donor" so I begrudgingly did so...they sent out the propaganda with the "point total system" but it never told you how many points that you have to have to qualify for purchasing...that hasn't changed...I knew that my days of going every year were numbered when a lady in the ticket office told me that they had people contributing to the Sooner Club before they could even buy tickets in the stadium expansion...it was/is akin of letting people buy their way to the front of the line...I wrote a scathing letter to the school and you may remember others who posted in the newspaper as well...I haven't sent any additional extortion funds since then and don't know if I ever will...

I got my invitation to buy as well and was shocked...it's all based on points...there is no lottery...the school only cares about your money...if you send them enough you get enough points to be able to buy tickets, period...this is a function of supply and demand...there are more seats available due to stadium expansion

Taxman71
6/23/2008, 08:43 AM
The funny thing is....until this year, the donation required to get OU-texas tix from OU was higher than what you could get them on ebay, at the game, etc. It is nice to get them from OU, esp. 4 together, but donating solely for texas tickets doesn't make alot of sense unless the tax deduction becomes significant.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/23/2008, 09:07 AM
Microcap--I don't think it's point system this year.

My mom transferred two of her tickets to my name last year and the points started all over. I don't donate any extra.

badger
6/23/2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks micro. NP has relatives that had season tix forever and had to move up to the upper deck after the stadium expansion... or pay an extra $2,000 each to stay where the family had been for years.

You may think it's extortion, others call that supply and demand. You may think it's unfair, others call that reality. You may think OU owes you fans something for years of support during hard times. Others might think you're a sucker and OU owes you nothing.

The truth, for me, lies somewhere in the middle. The athletic department can't operate independently without donations, so why not "extort" a little extra out of people willing to pay? I have never seen an OU-Texas game in person except for free with the university or the Cotton Bowl providing, but respect that OU reserves tickets to high money donors to subsidize the rest of us watching on television.

I think that if OU really did have extra tickets this year, they probably should have, instead of offering them to season ticket holders that didn't donate anything, offer them with Sooner (Sucker? that made me lol) Club travel packages like they do for other away games.

However, I'm happy that more people are going to see the game than before, even if I'm not the one there. I'll be there in spirit and indulging in the air conditioned "suite box" of my living room.

Taxman71
6/23/2008, 11:04 AM
I can see both sides. On one hand, as an alum who has attended every home game since the late 80's, I get annoyed when the newbies get all the perks. Then again, if I ever decide to make major donations, I sure as heck want some privileges in return. The good part is that you can always get a seat to any game (including OU-texas) for under $200 per ticket.....which still pales in comparison to many of the required donor fees.

If you still think this is high, check out the going rates for regular season Yankee tickets against a fellow cellar-dweller. Sports entertainment ain't cheap these days.