PDA

View Full Version : Is English more of a 3-4 LB at the next level?

soonerfan28
6/13/2008, 08:28 AM
English seems to have the speed coming off of the edge and I believe he ran a high 4.5 coming out of high school. I know that he has gained some weight and that could mean that he has lost some speed, but he seems to be coming off of the edge pretty quick. Also he has dropped back in pass coverage and done a pretty good job. He had that tip late in the 1st Mizzou game that Harris intercepted. Any opinion?

badger
6/13/2008, 11:34 AM
Seattle P-I: Looking ahead to OU-Warsh (http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/huskiesfb/archives/140748.asp)

They mention Austy in the ark. I think that English, like other college stars, will need to make a huge dent in preseason camps and games in order to make a roster, because he isn't making a lot of noise on NFL radars yet. Of course, a solid season this year and that will improve his draft stock. I would say he is doing very well at improving his stock, considering that he was a 3-star recruit and therefore not going to make Mack Brown's All-Texas "Gimme dat recruit" list.

However, there are many NFL-prospect talents out there, and English must make some noise this year to ensure a top draft slot, because on defense pounding positions especially, the starting jobs tend go to experienced NFLers who have been in the league awhile. He may need to bulk up more and maintain his speed to become elite.

I'm not trying to be negative - he is a real asset to us. I'm trying to realistic in that it is tough to make NFL rosters, even with solid college play.

the_ouskull
6/14/2008, 09:46 PM
I think he lacks the top end speed, the lateral movement, and the sideline-to-sideline pursuit to play a 3/4 OLB in the NFL. He's got a year to fix it though, no? :D

the_ouskull

Tulsa_Fireman
6/15/2008, 11:08 PM
Think Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. Just slower.

6'3" 240 versus 6'4" 245 in a 4-3 set.

Maybe he can adapt to a 3-4, but it's more than just having the physical tools. Just because you can bring that OLB, doesn't mean it plays true to a 5-2, pin your ears back and sic' em sort of scenario. There's a lot of coverage skills and ability in space questions that'd have to be answered, questions that won't be answered with a 4 man front at the college level.