PDA

View Full Version : This guys Nuts

OKMAGIC
6/13/2008, 07:40 AM
Sorry, couldn't help it.

UT fan sues OU fan, restaurant

by: The Associated Press
6/13/2008

OKLAHOMA CITY — A University of Texas fan filed a civil lawsuit on Thursday seeking more than $100,000 in damages from an Oklahoma City bar and a University of Oklahoma fan after a fight left him injured.

The bodily harm Allen Michael Beckett inflicted on Brian Thomas when Beckett grabbed his groin and refused to let go are "serious, painful and potentially permanent," Thomas' attorneys contended in the lawsuit filed Thursday in Oklahoma County District Court.

Beckett, 54, is scheduled to go on trial in December on a felony charge of aggravated assault and battery. He maintains he was defending himself from Thomas last June at Henry Hudson's Pub.

Beckett's attorney, Billy Bock said other witnesses at the bar have countered Thomas' version of what happened on June 17, 2007.

"Every bit of the investigation that's been done supports our side of things," Bock said.

According to Thomas' lawsuit, Beckett began heckling him after he walked into the bar wearing a Texas T-shirt. Thomas tried to ignore it, but decided to leave a short time later, the lawsuit stated.

Thomas said he was at the bar paying his tab when Beckett grabbed him and refused to let go until his scrotum was torn. The injury required more than 60 stitches, Thomas has said.

The lawsuit mentions "a possible connection to a local sports rivalry."

Beckett is accused of assault and battery and intentional infliction of emotion distress. The lawsuit also accuses Henry Hudson's of failing to intervene before the attack.

A manager at the bar declined comment on Thursday.

Bone
6/13/2008, 08:06 AM
"Possible connection to a local sports rivalry" ??? I wonder what it could be.

olevetonahill
6/13/2008, 08:09 AM
I think the basis of the Lawsuit is that Hes NOW Nutless :D

soonerinabilene
6/13/2008, 08:17 AM
The bodily harm Allen Michael Beckett inflicted on Brian Thomas when Beckett grabbed his groin and refused to let go are "serious, painful and potentially permanent,"

I KNEW Geary D. Crofford was just his internet name.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/13/2008, 09:40 AM
Isn't this a few months old? Or is it a different story?

TheHumanAlphabet
So why is the Henry's Bar responsible? Besides the obvious Beckett probably has no money and won't have a large judgement - so lets go after a entity with more money, yeah thats the ticket. Regardless of the fact other than the location, they seemed to have played no role in the incident. I haven't read of talk where the owner of bar tender told Beckett to grab his sack and stuff...

TheHumanAlphabet
Isn't this a few months old? Or is it a different story?

New lawsuit...

badger
6/13/2008, 10:06 AM
He's playing the Whorn card... as in, "I'm a whorn, I get discriminated against in an unfriendly environment that I have a right to be in. I'm going to wear proudly on my chest while beating it in front of all these Okies that I'm a whorn and if they don't like it and tell me to stop, I'm gonna say 'No, I'm a whorn.' And when I start offending them because I'm all rowdy for being a whorn and probably throw a light slap or two around, I'm gonna sue, cuz it's my right to be a whorn and dag nabbit, this is America."

and yes, this is a new lawsuit. I was thinking the statute of limitations would be up by now.

RedstickSooner
6/13/2008, 10:06 AM
So why is the Henry's Bar responsible? Besides the obvious Beckett probably has no money and won't have a large judgement - so lets go after a entity with more money, yeah thats the ticket. Regardless of the fact other than the location, they seemed to have played no role in the incident. I haven't read of talk where the owner of bar tender told Beckett to grab his sack and stuff...

The story says they're responsible because they didn't do anything about it. Guess the guy Obi Wan attacked in Mos Eisley could sue the cantina for allowing his fight to progress to the point where Obi had to put the lightsaber smack-down on him. Oh, and apparently the dude's name is Ponda Baba. Thank goodness for Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponda_Baba

I don't know anything about the law -- but if the bar had bouncers, they probably could've started paying attention when they saw some numbnuts walk in wearing a Tejas shirt in an Oklahoma bar.

Don't most bars reserve the right to refuse admission to whoever they please? Probably should've kicked him out as soon as he came in. Just from a common sense standpoint. No clue as to the legal culpability. Why don't some of our resident lawyers chime in 'n give us the lowdown?

OUMallen
6/13/2008, 10:07 AM

Well, if you get someone drunk knowingly, and then watch him talk trash to someone and be threatening, then you could probably foresee a problem arising. Negligence. TADA! Sure, it smells like the guy is going for an entity with cash, but it's not totally ridiculous. Just halfway.

soonerfan28
6/13/2008, 10:21 AM
So does this prove that Texas fans have no nuts?

Mad Dog Madsen
6/13/2008, 10:25 AM
So does this prove that Texas fans have no nuts?

:D Yeah pretty much.

OKMAGIC
6/13/2008, 10:55 AM
After starting this thread, feeble as it is, I had hoped it would not spiral down into a nutless thread about nutless whorn fans but alas, it has matured. I am just thankful I am a Sooner and that I don't have a 60 unit railroad track scar on my nut sack.

OKMAGIC
6/13/2008, 10:57 AM
Or would that be "zipper"?

TheHumanAlphabet
6/13/2008, 01:12 PM
Well, if you get someone drunk knowingly, and then watch him talk trash to someone and be threatening, then you could probably foresee a problem arising. Negligence. TADA! Sure, it smells like the guy is going for an entity with cash, but it's not totally ridiculous. Just halfway.

that's a big leap from the bar standpoint. Haven't heard he was drunk, just riled about UT shirt wearing guy. Now if he had been there for hours and drunk so much and then yeah, perhaps the bar should have shown him the door and called a cab. Now to think a dude paying his tab at the bar/register is going to grab a sack as he leaves just because he was mouthy previously seems a bit far fetched...I wouldn't have suspected that to happen.

AlbqSooner
6/14/2008, 07:31 AM
I think the basis of the Lawsuit is that Hes NOW Nutless :D

So is Bevo.

Blitzkrieg
6/14/2008, 09:04 AM
He doesn't have a nut to stand on.

If I owned that bar, I'd have a weekly special to honor the occasion with a special "sack" lunch.