PDA

View Full Version : Flags Half-Staff Tommorrow

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 10:36 PM
I, BRAD HENRY, GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA, HEREBY DIRECT THE APPROPRIATE STEPS BE TAKEN TO FLY ALL AMERICAN AND OKLAHOMA FLAGS ON STATE PROPERTY AT HALF-STAFF FROM 8:00 A.M. UNTIL 05:00 PM. ON FRIDAY JUNE 13TH, 2008 TO HONOR MAJOR SCOTT A HAGERTY, AN OKLAHOMA RESIDENT, WHO DIED ON TUESDAY, JUNE 3, 2008, AT AGE 41 WHILE SERVING IN AFGHANISTAN.

THIS EXECUTIVE ORDER SHALL BE FORWARDED TO THE DIRECTOR OF CENTRAL SERVICES WHO SHALL CAUSE THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ORDER TO BE IMPLEMENTS BY ALL APPROPRIATE AGENCIES OF STATE GOVERNMENT.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I HAVE HEREUNTO SET MY HAND AND CAUSED THE GREAT SEAL OF THE STATE OF OKLAHOMA TO BE AFFIXED AT OKLAHOMA CITY, OKLAHOMA, THIS 10TH DAY OF JUNE, 2008.

Has this happened before for an Iraq/Afghanistan casualty?

Harry Beanbag
6/12/2008, 11:17 PM
I see flags at half staff a lot out here for no reason that I'm aware of. This could explain it.

olevetonahill
6/12/2008, 11:17 PM
1st one Ive heard about

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/12/2008, 11:19 PM
Governor Henry declares it for any war casualty of an Oklahoman we have. He has been doing it for several years now, not sure exactly how long.

Scott D
6/12/2008, 11:22 PM
most states do it, you hear of it through press releases to the media so it doesn't sound like it's an order coming down from the governor of (insert state here)

6/12/2008, 11:23 PM
Is Brad Henry of OSU stock? I don't mean to cheapen the sentiment of the action, but should not the flags be lowered for EACH of the fallen Oklahomans for the same nine hours?

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 11:26 PM
Is Brad Henry of OSU stock? I don't mean to cheapen the sentiment of the action, but should not the flags be lowered for EACH of the fallen Oklahomans for the same nine hours?

:confused: According to SBSB, they are. What does this have to do with OSU?

6/12/2008, 11:29 PM
Ah... if they are lowered for each soldier, that's a different subject.

Reading through the thread, I gathered this was the first time it has happened for a fallen Oklahoman in this conflict.

He was an OSU grad, mdklatt. And no, I wasn't meaning to make a sick OSU joke. It was just an observation.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/12/2008, 11:29 PM
I work for a state entity. Every time an Oklahoma soldier dies, Brad Henry issues the order that flags are at half-staff. He also does it when someone like Jack Mildren (ex Lt-Gov) who has served the state in an official capacity dies.

I have no idea if other states do it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/12/2008, 11:30 PM
BTW, Brad Henry is a big time Sooner. He just has to "officially" root for Osu on occasion.

6/12/2008, 11:31 PM
That is very honorable and a very appropriate tribute to these soldiers and families.

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 11:31 PM
He was an OSU grad, mdklatt. And no, I wasn't meaning to make a sick OSU joke. It was just an observation.

Oh. I thought maybe you scanned through it fast and mixed together "OKLAHOMA" and "STATE PROPERTY".

Frozen Sooner
6/13/2008, 01:30 AM
Alaska does not do this, in answer to SBSB's question. At least, if Governor Palin does do this, the memo doesn't get to us. Since we were originally Alaska Air Depot FCU, then Elmendorf AFB FCU, we take our commitment to the military pretty seriously, so I'm sure we'd be doing this if it was ordered.

AlbqSooner
6/13/2008, 06:41 AM
New Mexico orders the flag to half staff for the death of each New Mexico military death in Afghanistan and Iraq.

SoonerJack
6/13/2008, 07:51 AM
and he wants the order "to be implements by all state...." C'mon Brad, proofread you're stuff.

M
6/13/2008, 08:52 AM
and he wants the order "to be implements by all state...." C'mon Brad, proofread you're stuff.

*ahem* :rolleyes:

Fugue
6/13/2008, 09:02 AM
*ahem* :rolleyes:

:D

mdklatt
6/13/2008, 09:17 AM

I had to adjust the formatting a bit after cutting and pasting from the e-mail announcement I got, so it's possible I screwed something up...but I don't know how I could have turned an "ed" into an "s". Also, I had to correct a spelling error in the original. Yes, proofreading is good.

yermom
6/13/2008, 09:21 AM
i keep reading that as Flag having "male problems"

badger
6/13/2008, 10:10 AM
Even without the soldier's death, it should be a statewide mourning for a tragedy to two sisters, the natural disasters that have affected us all season long across the entire state, and for all Oklahoma servicemen and women who so readily step up to serve willingly.

yermom
6/13/2008, 10:16 AM
yeah, but at some point then it's going to always be at half-mast...

speaking of natural disasters, that Boy Scout thing was crazy. i can only imagine

r5TPsooner
6/13/2008, 10:16 AM
Alaska does not do this, in answer to SBSB's question. At least, if Governor Palin does do this, the memo doesn't get to us. Since we were originally Alaska Air Depot FCU, then Elmendorf AFB FCU, we take our commitment to the military pretty seriously, so I'm sure we'd be doing this if it was ordered.

I saw your governor on the Glenn Beck show last week. She really seems to have her act together and she is very easy on the peepers as well. I was quite impressed with her overall.

Scott D
6/13/2008, 10:30 AM

I'd wager if there was an mention of flags being at half staff on your nightly news, it'd be something that came down as a press release from the Governor's office. That's generally how those things are handled.

StoopTroup
6/13/2008, 10:31 AM
Notices of Half-Staff should be on the front page of every Newpaper IMO.

No Law to do it...just as a way to show Honor and notify the Public.

At least in the Obits section IMO.

Frozen Sooner
6/13/2008, 11:09 AM
I saw your governor on the Glenn Beck show last week. She really seems to have her act together and she is very easy on the peepers as well. I was quite impressed with her overall.

Yeah, she's all right. I campaigned for her opponent (the guy who I'm hanging out with in the picture posted a couple of weeks ago) but she's really done a much better job than I thought she would. The only real issue I've had with her is that she's exercised the line-item veto pretty selectively-axing a bunch of stuff all over the state, but leaving in a bunch of stuff for her hometown (like a new football field for the high school.) Other than that...heck, she's done a good job. Her approval rating is sky-high for a reason.

Plus, as I've mentioned in other threads, you have to give someone who hops on a plane while she's in labor so that her child won't be born a Texan props.

mdklatt
6/13/2008, 11:36 AM
Plus, as I've mentioned in other threads, you have to give someone who hops on a plane while she's in labor so that her child won't be born a Texan props.

:les: SHE'S NUTS!

Frozen Sooner
6/13/2008, 11:39 AM
Oh, yeah, bat**** insane. Absolutely. But cute and doing a good job-and her insanity is something I can get behind.