PDA

View Full Version : Nothing convinces me not to buy a car more....

royalfan5
6/12/2008, 08:52 PM
than car salesmen. I was just about ready to buy a car until I went to a couple of dealerships, and now I am content to wait awhile again. There can't be a less pleasant experience than car buying that isn't a health problem.

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 09:24 PM
than car salesmen. I was just about ready to buy a car until I went to a couple of dealerships, and now I am content to wait awhile again. There can't be a less pleasant experience than car buying that isn't a health problem.

Go online. Lots of dealers let you buy online without dealing with a salseman at all (you'll probably still have the finance guy, though). If you can't buy online, at least figure out the market value of the car (edmunds.com, kbb.com, etc) you want and tell the salesman that's what you're going to pay. Unless you're an obvious mark, I don't think any car salesman is going to try to screw you on the price. There's just too much information and competition out there for somebody to get away with that anymore. However, that finance guy is going to try to screw you blue. They'll dick around with your payments and your trade-in. Never fall for the "how much do want to pay each month?" line. Know much you're going to be paying per month before you even walk in there.

Even better, get a loan from your bank or something and walk in there with cash so that you don't have to deal with the finance ********** at all.

royalfan5
6/12/2008, 09:28 PM
Go online. Lots of dealers let you buy online without dealing with a salseman at all (you'll probably still have the finance guy, though). If you can't buy online, at least figure out the market value of the car (edmunds.com, kbb.com, etc) you want and tell the salesman that's what you're going to pay. Unless you're an obvious mark, I don't think any car salesman is going to try to screw you on the price. There's just too much information and competition out there for somebody to get away with that anymore. However, that finance guy is going to try to screw you blue. They'll dick around with your payments and your trade-in. Never fall for the "how much do want to pay each month?" line. Know much you're going to be paying per month before you even walk in there.

Even better, get a loan from your bank or something and walk in there with cash so that you don't have to deal with the finance ********** at all.

You do know I am banker for a living right? The games just annoy me. I mostly went to the dealer to annoy myself into not wanting to buy a car again for awhile.

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 09:34 PM
You do know I am banker for a living right?

Yeah, but OUmallen is apparently a lawyer, and he got screwed because he signed something without reading it, so....

:D

When I bought my car, the only games I had were from the finance guy.

Look bitch, this is what I'm paying for the car, this is what my down payment is, so this is how much I'm financing. Now make it happen, and your payments better be close to this number because I've already done the math.

I still think I got screwed on the interest rate, because I didn't know that was negotiable.

royalfan5
6/12/2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah, but OUmallen is apparently a lawyer, and he got screwed because he signed something without reading it, so....

When I bought my car, the only games I had were from the finance guy.

Look bitch, this is what I'm paying for the car, this is what my down payment is, so this is how much I'm financing. Now make it happen, and your payments better be close to this number because I've already done the math.

I still think I got screwed on the interest rate, because I didn't know that was negotiable.

My philosophy is that if I go get annoyed by a dealer every so often, it will keep me from buying until it's the right time. It's kind of like the guys who need a gonorrhea test to remind them to be careful about who they sleep with.

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 09:41 PM
It's kind of like the guys who need a gonorrhea test

So what's that like?

royalfan5
6/12/2008, 09:43 PM
So what's that like?

I've been told it's terrible.

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 09:44 PM
I've been told it's terrible.

Say doc, I've got this friend....

JohnnyMack
6/12/2008, 10:05 PM
We bought our last car (OK, it's a minivan) from a guy who was an old drinking/smoking buddy of one of my good friends. They used to hang out together in college many years ago. It was amazing how nice and bull**** free the experience was.

bluedogok
6/12/2008, 10:19 PM
My parents bought a new car last year while we were up there. Looked it up online and found one at a dealer. I went to high school with one of the owners, jr. high and high school with his wife and my sister has taught a few of their kids. My dad said they wanted the car, he goes in his office and comes out 5 minutes later with about $8,500 off the $34,000 sticker. It was the easiest car deal my dad has ever done, it took longer to do all the paper (on a cash deal) than it did to negotiate it. If I was buying a new brand of what they sell, I'd go up there to do it.

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 10:27 PM
I wonder why car dealers don't get rid of the bull**** altogether. Hell, all you have to do is shop around a little a bit and you can tell who's trying to screw you (dealers will screw each other even faster than they'll try to screw you). And with all the information out there on the internet, you know what you should be paying. So why keep playing the game? Does Saturn still do the no-haggle thing? The last time I went car shopping, they wanted to charge you a premium for the privilege of not trying to screw you.

I guess there are still plenty of gullible people to fleece. Somebody must be falling for the "we'll beat any price or pay you ONE MILLLLLION dollars" and "we'll pay off your upside down car" ads.

6/12/2008, 10:40 PM
We bought our last car (OK, it's a minivan) from a guy who was an old drinking/smoking buddy of one of my good friends. They used to hang out together in college many years ago. It was amazing how nice and bull**** free the experience was.

I've purchased my last two vehicles from a friend in the business. Amazing what contacts in the right places can do for your sanity.

SoonerInKCMO
6/13/2008, 08:45 AM
I bought my last car from the hot chick saleslady; if she had tried to screw me I would've let her.

yermom
6/13/2008, 09:03 AM
I wonder why car dealers don't get rid of the bull**** altogether. Hell, all you have to do is shop around a little a bit and you can tell who's trying to screw you (dealers will screw each other even faster than they'll try to screw you). And with all the information out there on the internet, you know what you should be paying. So why keep playing the game? Does Saturn still do the no-haggle thing? The last time I went car shopping, they wanted to charge you a premium for the privilege of not trying to screw you.

I guess there are still plenty of gullible people to fleece. Somebody must be falling for the "we'll beat any price or pay you ONE MILLLLLION dollars" and "we'll pay off your upside down car" ads.

i think that pretty much covers it. it's still working as is

some people learn enough in the process to not get screwed later, some don't

Animal Mother
6/13/2008, 01:34 PM
We've purchased our last three cars of the innerweb. Man I do not miss the sales dorks!! Knowledge is power when buying a car and the car info sites listed above have lots of power.
Next time I see a car sales boner crossing the street, I'm going to ask him how much he's willing to pay me to not run over his annoying azz! If buying everything else worked like buying a car, we wouldn't have time to do anything.

Taxman71
6/13/2008, 01:53 PM
Don't forget undercoating, rust proofing, finder's fee,dealer prep, delivery charge, floor mats, keys.....high-five!

http://www.geocities.com/seinfeld_soundbites/puddy_elaine.jpg