PDA

View Full Version : Totally random and esoteric stuff you learn while studying for the barzam...

Okla-homey
6/12/2008, 03:52 PM
You indorse checks.
You endorse a position.

If you die without a will in Oklahoma and you have a spouse but no kids, and if either of your parents or siblings are still alive, your spouse gets all your "joint industry" property (stuff y'all acquired while you were hitched) plus 1/3 of your non-joint industry property.

Your mom/dad/sis/bro get the remaining 2/3 of your non-joint property. Which is nice, because they put up with you when you were a kid.

If you loan money to someone in Oklahoma and they put up collateral for the loan, if you don't file a financing statement in Oklahoma County thus "perfecting" your "attachment," you sir/ma'am are a dumbarse.

If your spouse splits the state with your child after the kid lived here for six continuos months and you file for divorce here, Oklahoma retains jurisdiction over the child custody proceeding for six months after the kid has been taken out of state. After that, the state your estranged spouse split to with the kid has jurisdiction over the child custody issue.

However, if Oklahoma enters a custody order within that six month period, it retains exclusive jurisdiction over the child custody issue as long as you remain in Oklahoma.

You can prepare a perfectly legal and enforceable will in Oklahoma if it is written entirely in your own handwriting, is dated and signed. That's called a "holographic" will. And you can even write said holographic will on a cocktail napkin or scratch it into a tractor fender and its still good.

That is all.

Frozen Sooner
6/12/2008, 03:55 PM
If you loan money to someone anywhere and they put up collateral for the loan, if you don't file a financing statement in the recording district the transaction takes place in thus "perfecting" your "attachment," you sir/ma'am are a dumbarse.

Fixed and QFT.

However, in most jurisdictions, a UCC financing statement isn't needed for liens against property with recorded title such as motor vehicles or real propery, as such lien can be perfected either through the DMV or through a mortgage instrument. Documented vessels may have liens perfected against them through the Coast Guard.

RedstickSooner
6/12/2008, 03:56 PM
Is there a limit on the number of expletives you can use in a "holographic" will?

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 05:01 PM
You indorse checks.

Wow, I did not know that.

So we don't get French benefits?

6/12/2008, 05:09 PM
Homey, just curious... would you know about the holographic will laws in Kansas? My dad has written his own will (leaving me all of his massive fortune, btw) but I'm sure he typed it. Is he required to write the thing out?

By the way, his "massive fortune" will involve selling a trailor house in Healdton and maybe a couple thousand bucks in the bank. WOO-HOO!

mdklatt
6/12/2008, 05:13 PM
WTF is a holographic will? If it really involves lasers, I'm making an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow.

olevetonahill
6/12/2008, 05:32 PM
Im gonna Die Intestate and Let em fight each other fer My still :D

Rogue
6/12/2008, 05:45 PM
If you loan money to someone in Oklahoma and they put up collateral for the loan, if you don't file a financing statement in Oklahoma County thus "perfecting" your "attachment," you sir/ma'am are a dumbarse.

Sounds weird.

Okla-homey
6/12/2008, 06:00 PM
Fixed and QFT.

However, in most jurisdictions, a UCC financing statement isn't needed for liens against property with recorded title such as motor vehicles or real propery, as such lien can be perfected either through the DMV or through a mortgage instrument. Documented vessels may have liens perfected against them through the Coast Guard.

I agree that the secured interests you describe don't require filing of the financing statement, but if the attchment requires a financing statement, in Oklahoma, it MUST be filed in Oklahoma County, no matter where the secured interest orginates within the state.

Okla-homey
6/12/2008, 06:01 PM
Is there a limit on the number of expletives you can use in a "holographic" will?

apparently not.

Frozen Sooner
6/12/2008, 06:02 PM
Really? Kooky. I'm never up on the whole county dealie anyhow. We don't have 'em. I know that when I lived in Squarebanks we send UCC financing statements to the Fairbanks/North Star Borough and when I do 'em here I send them to the Anchorage Recorder's Office.

Edit: I wasn't trying to correct your usage of Oklahoma County, by the way. I had just assumed-incorrectly, as it appears-that you left "County" off your original post. I was just sayin' that ANYONE who takes collateral without perfecting their lien is an idjit.

But don't say I didn't warn you about spelling it "indorsement." ;)

Okla-homey
6/12/2008, 06:12 PM
Homey, just curious... would you know about the holographic will laws in Kansas? My dad has written his own will (leaving me all of his massive fortune, btw) but I'm sure he typed it. Is he required to write the thing out?

By the way, his "massive fortune" will involve selling a trailor house in Healdton and maybe a couple thousand bucks in the bank. WOO-HOO!

Dunno about KS, I'm only trying to get my head around Oklahoma law. But I do know this, that typed will would be invalid in Oklahoma if it were presented as a holographic will. See, the theory behind the holographic will is, since its entirely handwritten, dated and signed by the testator (that's your Pop) there is less chance of shenanigans. Its easy to fake stuff if a third person (like a greedy son:D ) could type one out and have Dad sign it without the proper formalities such as witnesses and what not.

Bottomline: Have pop go see a lawyer and have a proper will drawn up and executed up there in Jayhawkland. It don't cost much, and could save you guys a lot of hassle someday.

Turd_Ferguson
6/12/2008, 06:17 PM
If I ever actually own anything at the time of my death, my wife gets it all to distribute to our kid's as she see's fit. If'n I take the biotch wit me when I go, then my kid's can split it all.

If I scratch that out on piece of paper and put it in my safety deposit box(if I had one), I'm good?

soonermix
6/12/2008, 06:25 PM
esoteric isn't pron i'm outta this thread :P