PDA

View Full Version : So, The Incredible Hulk is not a sequel to Hulk?

Penguin
6/12/2008, 01:36 AM
Explain.

Frozen Sooner
6/12/2008, 01:44 AM
You pretty much covered it.

They're pretending the first movie didn't happen.

6/12/2008, 02:09 AM
http://www.progets.com/simpsons/pics/the%20comic%20book%20guy%20pondering.gif

yermom
6/12/2008, 02:16 AM
the first movie was kinda dumb

Ed Norton FTW

crawfish
6/12/2008, 07:33 AM
Maybe they'll do the same with the Fantastic Four movies...

OU4LIFE
6/12/2008, 08:00 AM
I think it's more of an effort to make the tie-ins to other movies, like Iron Man...so they can have an avengers movie.

And seriously, can we just go ahead and do a Captain America movie already.

soonerinabilene
6/12/2008, 08:05 AM

2011, I believe.

OU4LIFE
6/12/2008, 08:06 AM
Cap better RMFO

Frozen Sooner
6/12/2008, 10:30 AM

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103923/

It was so terrible it never got released over here. :D

But yeah, they're going to go for a do-over in 2011.

NormanPride
6/12/2008, 10:43 AM
I'm going to pretend the first one didn't exist as well. If I hadn't been with my parents, it would have been the first movie I ever walked out on. Maybe I'll go see this one if people say it's awesome. But after that crapfest that was the first Hulk I don't feel like rewarding them.

yermom
6/12/2008, 10:47 AM
if Jennifer Connelly hadn't been in it, i would have hated seeing it a whole lot more

soonerinabilene
6/12/2008, 10:48 AM
I really think this one is going to be a lot better. It doesnt look like it was drawn with a crayon. The one a few years ago was the worst animation ive seen since the plane crash at the end of Air Force One.

Scott D
6/12/2008, 11:16 AM
if Jennifer Connelly hadn't been in it, i would have hated seeing it a whole lot more

if she hadn't been in it, I wouldn't have watched it at all. Terrible vehicle for Eric Bana to get his name known in Hollywood.

OklahomaRed
6/12/2008, 11:18 AM
Kind of like the new Batman movies. The new ones are a lot better than the old 'cartoony' ones.

Scott D
6/12/2008, 11:23 AM
Kinda like how Highlander 3 was suppossed to be an apology by Mulcahey for Highlander 2.

Rhino
6/12/2008, 11:36 AM
Neither of them were portrayed by Lou Ferrigno, so neither of them are worth a damn.

OU4LIFE
6/12/2008, 11:38 AM
Neither of them were portrayed by Lou Ferrigno, so neither of them are worth a damn.

well, at least he was IN the first one...

Frozen Sooner
6/12/2008, 12:23 PM
He's in this one as well.

Rhino
6/12/2008, 12:43 PM
As a security guard.

At 56, he looks like he could thrown on some green body paint and still beat around either of the new Hulks.

LosAngelesSooner
6/12/2008, 01:06 PM
Captain America is coming out soon and my understanding is that it's gonna be a period piece. (which RMFO)

Incredible Hulk isn't supposed to be a total re-start. It's supposed to acknowlege some of the events of HULK happened, but not really dwell on them. That's my understanding. But I haven't really been following it, so I could easily be wrong about this one.

They've started work on THOR, Nick Fury: Agent of Shield, Iron Man 2 and are in pre-development for Ant Man.

They're gearing up for an Avengers movie in 2011 which, so far, all the major players have signed on for.

ousoonerfan
6/12/2008, 01:13 PM
awesome.

Sooner_Havok
6/12/2008, 01:32 PM
Cap will be in the Hulk DVD.

badger
6/12/2008, 03:24 PM
as long as no nipple suits are involved...

TheUnnamedSooner
6/12/2008, 03:37 PM
as long as no nipple suits are involved...

what if it's wonder woman or cat woman?

NormanPride
6/12/2008, 04:50 PM
I don't think nipple suits on female characters would excite badger.

But if they did it would be AWESOME. I'm gonna hide now...

TheUnnamedSooner
6/12/2008, 04:53 PM
I forgot Badger was a F.

i'm sorry :(

soonerboomer93
6/12/2008, 10:43 PM
i'm going to the 12:01 showing

reviews later if I feel like it

:pop:

proud gonzo
6/12/2008, 10:47 PM
As a security guard.

At 56, he looks like he could thrown on some green body paint and still beat around either of the new Hulks.he's also listed as "voice of the incredible hulk" on imdb.com

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2008, 10:47 PM
73% positive on Rotten Tomatoes. Can't wait to see it when I get back.

proud gonzo
6/12/2008, 10:51 PM
merge :mad:

GottaHavePride
6/12/2008, 11:02 PM
This is an "I'm gonna go see it" / "I done went and seen it" thread, not a speculation thread. ;)

proud gonzo
6/12/2008, 11:04 PM
:les: MERGE!

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2008, 11:24 PM
GHPWN3D!!

tulsaoilerfan
6/12/2008, 11:27 PM
You pretty much covered it.

They're pretending the first movie didn't happen.

The only good thing about the first movie was Jennifer Connelly; she is yummy:D

AllAboutThe'O'
6/13/2008, 12:42 AM
I'm going to pretend the first one didn't exist as well. If I hadn't been with my parents, it would have been the first movie I ever walked out on. Maybe I'll go see this one if people say it's awesome. But after that crapfest that was the first Hulk I don't feel like rewarding them.

Loved the Incredible Hulk TV series, but that first Hulk movie was painfully dull. Even the Hulk-outs weren't that exciting. Yeah, I think the new version will be much better, considering that they're going to be more true to the TV series than the original movie, which focused more on the comic book aspects of the character. But I'm a bigger Hulk fan because of the TV series than the comic book, and I'm sure many others feel the same way, and that's why I think the new movie version will get more positive reaction. Plus, including "The Lonely Man" theme in the new movie can't hurt, either.

soonerboomer93
6/13/2008, 02:29 AM
better then iron man, imho

oh, and the scene is before the credits, so you don't have to wait

part of that is due to nostalaga

oh, and I don't think Liv Tyler is going to age that well...

SteelClip49
6/13/2008, 02:39 AM
went to the 12:01 showing at Harkins and WOW is all I can say....and you don't have to wait until the end of the credits for the surprise. DAMN, what a rush and it's only the beginning.

soonerboomer93
6/13/2008, 03:08 AM
oh, and if you go, make sure you're there for the beginning credits

OU4LIFE
6/13/2008, 08:08 AM
Captain America is coming out soon and my understanding is that it's gonna be a period piece. (which RMFO)

Incredible Hulk isn't supposed to be a total re-start. It's supposed to acknowlege some of the events of HULK happened, but not really dwell on them. That's my understanding. But I haven't really been following it, so I could easily be wrong about this one.

They've started work on THOR, Nick Fury: Agent of Shield, Iron Man 2 and are in pre-development for Ant Man.

They're gearing up for an Avengers movie in 2011 which, so far, all the major players have signed on for.

is there a more boring superhero than 'Ant Man'? Hey look at me I can shrink and command an army of ants with my fancy helmet. Hardly seems like movie material.

OU4LIFE
6/13/2008, 08:13 AM
Iron Man was pretty damned good IMO.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah, it's going to be tough for this one to top Iron Man for me.

NormanPride
6/13/2008, 09:59 AM
Damn, if it's good I need to see it. I love the Hulk. :mad:

OUMallen
6/13/2008, 10:08 AM
Iron Man was very solid.

r5TPsooner
6/13/2008, 10:18 AM
I guess that I'm the only one who thought that the movie looked totally dumb in the clips that they've shown so far.

I hate to say that because I've always been an Incredible Hulk fan.

SteelClip49
6/13/2008, 10:19 AM
and just think...there is going to be an Iron Man 2, Captain America, Nick Fury, Thor all leading up to The Avengers in 2011. Iron Man will be tough to beat but after seeing The Incredible Hulk last night, you can just tell all the Marvel movies to come leading up to the granddaddy will be great. It just keeps getting better and better.

BTW, cannot stand when people clap after the movie. STFU!!!!

badger
6/13/2008, 10:19 AM
Damn, if it's good I need to see it. I love the Hulk. :mad:

Wait for reviews from here, plz. Bad superhero movies really suck, whereas other bad movies are laughable suckitude.

Scott D
6/13/2008, 10:36 AM
I guess that I'm the only one who thought that the movie looked totally dumb in the clips that they've shown so far.

I hate to say that because I've always been an Incredible Hulk fan.

I was hoping it was because you like me thought Edward Norton with the silly goatee looked well, lame in the role. :)

OU4LIFE
6/13/2008, 10:39 AM
I was hoping it was because you like me thought Edward Norton with the silly goatee looked well, lame in the role. :)

yes, but no lamer than Samual Jackson as Nick Fury. :D

Scott D
6/13/2008, 10:42 AM

Nick Fury will be the first superhero to carry a wallet that says "BAD MOTHER****ER" on it :D

SteelClip49
6/13/2008, 10:46 AM
Edward Norton has been good in a lot of movies and his acting in TIH is a perfect fit. Great cast and everything just jelled.

OU4LIFE
6/13/2008, 11:07 AM
Nick Fury will be the first superhero to carry a wallet that says "BAD MOTHER****ER" on it :D

true that.

Maybe he can put that on his eye patch.

GottaHavePride
6/13/2008, 12:29 PM

But the actual comics paid Sam Jackson so they could re-draw Nick Fury to look like him. And THEN they turned around and actually cast him as Nick Fury. So really, unless they could have found someone who looked more like Samuel L. Jackson than Samuel L. Jackson, they cast that one perfectly.

I just hope he doesn't get tired of no damn snakes in his damn supersuit.

OU4LIFE
6/13/2008, 12:34 PM
But the actual comics paid Sam Jackson so they could re-draw Nick Fury to look like him. And THEN they turned around and actually cast him as Nick Fury. So really, unless they could have found someone who looked more like Samuel L. Jackson than Samuel L. Jackson, they cast that one perfectly.

I just hope he doesn't get tired of no damn snakes in his damn supersuit.

Sorry, Nick Fury of 1963 was as honky as honky gets.

AND let's not forget that Tony Stark recruited Nick Fury to be the head of SHIELD...NOT the other way around.

Scott D
6/13/2008, 12:48 PM
pshaw, like you could read in 1963. :D

LosAngelesSooner
6/13/2008, 01:34 PM
is there a more boring superhero than 'Ant Man'? Hey look at me I can shrink and command an army of ants with my fancy helmet. Hardly seems like movie material.
He also gets really big.

And he can crawl into your ear and then supersize himself, ripping your head apart like a ripe melon.

That's pretty cool. I say have Bruce Campbell play antman and let Roger Corman direct it.

:D

LosAngelesSooner
6/13/2008, 01:36 PM
BTW, cannot stand when people clap after the movie. STFU!!!!Standard practice out here (but usually because there's often someone who worked on the movie in the theatre with you)

On another note...you sit down during OU games, don't you? ;)

Scott D
6/13/2008, 02:37 PM
He also gets really big.

And he can crawl into your ear and then supersize himself, ripping your head apart like a ripe melon.

That's pretty cool. I say have Bruce Campbell play antman and let Roger Corman direct it.

:D

bah, Apache Chief was far more interesting...plus it'd be fun to see the PC crowd get riled up over his name :D

soonerboomer93
6/13/2008, 05:20 PM
yes, apache cheif rocks :D

hYpXNG9WwI0

Stitch Face
6/14/2008, 01:31 PM
Anyone see it yet? I'm thinking about going to a matinee this afternoon. Was a Hulk fan as a kid so I'm kinda getting excited, though the trailers still make it look like a$$

6/14/2008, 01:35 PM
I wish they'd re-make Richie Rich.

soonerboomer93
6/14/2008, 01:40 PM
Anyone see it yet? I'm thinking about going to a matinee this afternoon. Was a Hulk fan as a kid so I'm kinda getting excited, though the trailers still make it look like a$$

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2315975&postcount=36

Stitch Face
6/14/2008, 05:01 PM
I broke down and went to a matinee by myself.

It was better than I expected.

Oh, and it is a sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk. They just don't dwell on it.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/14/2008, 08:21 PM
I'm just glad it wasn't like watching a cartoon and that he didn't jump miles at a time.

6/14/2008, 08:39 PM
"...wasn't like watching a cartoon"

Awesome!

LosAngelesSooner
6/14/2008, 08:44 PM
Oh, and it is a sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk. They just don't dwell on it.Didn't I already say that?? :O

6/14/2008, 09:57 PM
I am SO wet!

Stitch Face
6/14/2008, 11:19 PM
I'm just glad it wasn't like watching a cartoon and that he didn't jump miles at a time.

Yeah, that was lame.

Even worse, I've been reading the original Hulk comics from the 60s, and he does in those. All. The. Time.

Stitch Face
6/14/2008, 11:22 PM
Didn't I already say that?? :O

Hmm. So you did. You even used the "dwell." That's probably why it was in my head.

Frozen Sooner
6/14/2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah, that was lame.

Even worse, I've been reading the original Hulk comics from the 60s, and he does in those. All. The. Time.

Yeah, I was going to say that jumping miles at a time has pretty much always been something the Hulk did.

Stitch Face
6/14/2008, 11:33 PM
I read some Hulk in the eighties and liked it, that's why I couldn't resist going to the movie already (even though I still haven't seen Iron Man) but I gotta admit, the stories in the original Hulk issues are pretty weak. Weaker, at least, than the old Spider-Man. I bought the GIT complete collections for Hulk, Spidey, Cap, Iron Man, and the F4. I'm gonna work on Cap next. I liked the reference to him in the new movie (or at least to the super soldier program in WWII.) But sometimes it seems like Marvel is more concerned with tying their properties together in these new movies than anything else. For the Avengers movie, etc., I know. But I kinda wondered "can't we just have a Hulk movie for the sake of the Hulk?"

Frozen Sooner
6/14/2008, 11:36 PM
See, I kinda like that. Marvel's big breakthroughs were that 1) their characters had personal problems and 2) their characters all lived in the same world and their actions had an effect on each other.

Stitch Face
6/14/2008, 11:48 PM
See, I kinda like that. Marvel's big breakthroughs were that 1) their characters had personal problems and 2) their characters all lived in the same world and their actions had an effect on each other.

Yeah, I'm down with the fact that they all inhabit this fantasy New York together and occasionally have lunch, but it just seems like Marvel is really pushing hard to cross-advertise. Like, I thought it was cool in a comic nerd way that they alluded to Cap, but I didn't like that they changed the reason for Hulk's origin to tie in to the super soldier project.

As for the characters' personal problems, I totally dig the Hulk's "power" in that it's basically a burden which is of no real benefit to him or society. Kinda like Spidey's great power/great responsibility, only in Banner's case he has the great responsibility of not hulking out and hurting people unnecessarily. They did a great job in this movie of making his transformation seem like something intense that was bound to end up in people dying, as opposed to the old comics or TV show where it was like 'oh, no! The Hulk is gonna knock a car over and then run off!'

soonerboomer93
6/14/2008, 11:58 PM
didn't really feel like a sequal, especially when they only discuss the gamma experiment being the cause for him becoming the hulk

Frozen Sooner
6/14/2008, 11:59 PM
Well, I think they're going more with the "Ultimate" line of comics for these guys as opposed to the original Marvel series. In the Ultimate line, Nick Fury DOES look like Sam Jackson and the Hulk is the result of Bruce Banner trying to recreate the Super Soldier Serum.

On the other hand, Orson Scott Card's take on Iron Man for the Ultimate line is such an abortion that it's probably good that they ignored that. According to Card, Tony Stark's entire body is made up of neurons. All of it.

Stitch Face
6/15/2008, 12:05 AM
didn't really feel like a sequal, especially when they only discuss the gamma experiment being the cause for him becoming the hulk

I don't think they wanted it to feel like a sequel. But the consistencies are enough that it definitely was not intended to be a do-over, just a higher quality continuation with a few character details smudged out and replaced by Ed Norton, Liv Tyler, non-shrinking pants, etc. Didn't the last movie end with Banner sporting a beard, hiding out in South America? And sure enough, TIH opens with a bearded Banner down in Brazil, with Gen. Ross already knowing his identity, etc. The summary of the Hulk's origin over the intro credits was consistent enough with the first movie to indicate that they weren't erasing the Ang Lee stuff. Just moving on in a better way.

Stitch Face
6/15/2008, 12:07 AM
Well, I think they're going more with the "Ultimate" line of comics for these guys as opposed to the original Marvel series. In the Ultimate line, Nick Fury DOES look like Sam Jackson and the Hulk is the result of Bruce Banner trying to recreate the Super Soldier Serum.

On the other hand, Orson Scott Card's take on Iron Man for the Ultimate line is such an abortion that it's probably good that they ignored that. According to Card, Tony Stark's entire body is made up of neurons. All of it.

Agreed. Though, likewise, Sony's Spider-Man is definitely not the Ultimate version.

Frozen Sooner
6/15/2008, 12:10 AM
How do you figure? The origin is right in line for both version, and he has the built-in web-shooters like in the Ultimate version.

Anyhow, it's evident they're not going for complete slavish devotion to either line-it just seems like they're trying to make them fit the Ultimate line a bit more than the traditional line. Which makes sense, as the Ultimate line was supposed to be a modern reboot.

Mjcpr
6/15/2008, 12:12 AM
Why are there no chicks in this thread?

Stitch Face
6/15/2008, 12:16 AM
How do you figure? The origin is right in line for both version, and he has the built-in web-shooters like in the Ultimate version.

Anyhow, it's evident they're not going for complete slavish devotion to either line-it just seems like they're trying to make them fit the Ultimate line a bit more than the traditional line. Which makes sense, as the Ultimate line was supposed to be a modern reboot.

Yeah, that's true about the web shooters. I sorta forget about that because the organic ones just make more sense in the first place. The Spider-Man movies just have a very classic vibe when it comes to the characters (minus the high-tech goblin suits) whereas Uncle Ben looks like a frickin' hippie and Peter comes off as more of a dork than a nerd in the Ultimate comics.

Agreed, too, that the movies are an amalgam of whatever versions make for a better film.

Stitch Face
6/15/2008, 12:17 AM
Why are there no chicks in this thread?

I'm actually a smokin' hot babe.

Sooner24
6/15/2008, 02:24 PM

Heh!

I found a wallet at Texas Motor Speedway last week that had that on it. The guy I returned it too didn't look like a super hero though.

SoonerAtKU
6/15/2008, 02:49 PM
I thought it would be interesting to use the Ultimate Spider-Man version of Venom, where the symbiote was a potential cure for cancer being developed by some division of Oscorp, if I recall correctly. Gave it a dose of reality gone awry that you don't get from "alien goo"

Frozen Sooner
6/15/2008, 02:50 PM
I think it was being developed by Peter's dad while working for Oscorp. Could be wrong though.

SoonerAtKU
6/15/2008, 03:10 PM
It's been a while and I don't know for sure.

Stitch Face
6/15/2008, 06:06 PM
Something I totally didn't think about (until a friend pointed it out) is the homage to the Hulk TV show when Ed Norton is trying to hitchhike in the rain a la the opening of the Bill Bixby show.

reevie
6/15/2008, 06:49 PM
I saw the Hulk today. It was pretty good. They did a really good job of making you feel for Bruce Banner.
The Captain America reference was a nice touch, but too bad that they had leaked it.

bri
6/15/2008, 08:25 PM
Something I totally didn't think about (until a friend pointed it out) is the homage to the Hulk TV show when Ed Norton is trying to hitchhike in the rain a la the opening of the Bill Bixby show.

Half of the movie was homage to the TV series, and the other half was total *ss-kickery. I haven't been this pleasantly surprised by a movie in a long time.

You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

Frozen Sooner
6/15/2008, 08:49 PM
You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry.

That was pretty good.

And the fact that one of the Gracies was teaching Banner how to control his temper was cool.

soonerboomer93
6/15/2008, 09:15 PM
why did you people doubt me?

bri
6/15/2008, 09:19 PM
Because I never read the board anymore, and therefore had no idea you said what you said? ;)

And the Marvel Films continuity is giving me a gigantic fanboy chubby. I've never been more geeked about being a geek.

Frozen Sooner
6/15/2008, 09:25 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

When Hulk was jumping from building to building, I did think "Man, it'd be cool if he collided midair with Spiderman." :D

bri
6/15/2008, 09:36 PM
I hope there's an outtake on the DVD where Robert Downey, Jr. busts out the old Blues Brothers "We're getting the band back together!" line and then everyone cracks up as the director yells cut, 'cause that sh*t is funny.

Frozen Sooner
6/15/2008, 09:36 PM
Heh.

*snort*

Particularly if Monica Rambeau busts out of the back singing "Respect."

soonerinabilene
6/16/2008, 08:33 AM
Saw it last nite. It was good, not great. Definitely watchable. Nowhere close to Iron Man, though.

OU4LIFE
6/16/2008, 08:48 AM
I'm interested in the Hulk movie. The Iron Man movie absolutely nailed the suit, and that really made the movie for me.

I'm really interested in what they can do for Cap now.....

LosAngelesSooner
6/17/2008, 12:48 PM
Saw Hulk last night. I enjoyed it. They did a pretty solid job. Good storytelling (though the ending could have been a little tighter) and good SFX. I still think they should have made the Hulk look more like Edward Norton and maybe they should have taken a page from the Hellboy series and made hulk out of makeup and prosthetics for the most part and only used the CGI when they had to, but either way he looked a heck of a lot better than Ang Lee's attempt (dingy green works better than lime green for all you Crayon artists out there).

Liv Tyler is kinda losing her "sexy" for me and starting to look like a beefier girl. Also count me as one of the very small minorities who always felt that her upper lip was weird looking. But her acting was decent and I thought she did a good job in a classic "damsel in distress/beauty to the monster" type of roll.

Ed Norton was hell of good in my opinion. I'm glad they modeled the story after the TV series more than the comic in the early part of the story telling. It really made it easier for the audience to identify with Banner and care for him, so when they broke out the comic book stuff later (HULK SMASH!) it didn't feel as cheesy. In other words...they earned it, which is good.

All in all I would say that it was better than X3, Spiderman 3, Daredevil, Punisher, both Fantastic Fours and Ghost Rider, as good as XMen 1 and Spiderman 1 and not as good as X2, Spiderman 2 or Iron Man.

It was worth the $12.

OU4LIFE
6/17/2008, 01:06 PM
TWELVE DOLLARS!?!?

*pointing and laughing*

LosAngelesSooner
6/17/2008, 02:30 PM
I'm paying $5 a gallon for gas, too.

Welcome to LA. ;)

TheUnnamedSooner
6/17/2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I was going to say that jumping miles at a time has pretty much always been something the Hulk did.

I know he did, but in the first movie, it seemed they over did it.