PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Boston for one day?

colleyvillesooner
6/11/2008, 09:18 PM
I've got a buisness trip to providence that ends with a free Friday in Boston. I have from about 11 am on to do as I please by myself.

What must i do with only 9-10 hrs to do so? No Sox game so I thought I might work in a tour of that in the am.

I need:

1. Lunch place
2. Something historic or Boston unique for the mid afternoon.
3. Good, local dinner place
4. Place for a nightcap.

Obviously looking to stay in a safe part of town but also want to pack as much in as I can. Staying at the Hampton inn at the airport, so I'm assuming mass transit or a cab to the areas I need to go.

Thank in advance for any and all help.

Cam
6/11/2008, 09:23 PM
Some of my wife's family lives in Boston. Here is the list they sent us last year. Sam Adams brewery was pretty darn cool as well. It's way out there though.

Good things to do/see (but not in order):
1. Freedom Trail -- walkable, goes past the historic spots in Boston, and also goes by many restaurants, shopping, etc., included in other things I'll mention below.
a. Bunker Hill monument is on the trail. It’s a ton of steps that are pretty much strait up. Quite a hike after walking a lot.
b. USS Constitution is at the end of the trail. Pretty cool to walk thru.
i. You can take a water taxi from Central Wharf.
c. You can also tour the USS Cassin Young, a WWII Destroyer at the end that’s pretty cool as well.
2. Newbury Street -- in the Back Bay area, trendy street with shops and restaurants with outdoor dining
3. Boston Common and Public Garden -- Boston's version of Central Park, where the swan boats are
4. North End -- Boston's Little Italy, definitely worth eating dinner there and seeing the small streets and bakeries. I've tried many restaurants and can't say I have a definite favorite, but be sure you make it to either Mike's Pastries or Modern Pastries, both on Hanover Street, the main drag. Mike's is bigger and has better display cases, and they both go back and forth winning awards for best cannoli.
5. Harvard Square -- right off the Red Line, easy to walk through Harvard Yard (in the school), plus it's an area where funky people hang out, again with shops and restaurants all around.
6. Copley Square -- I like this area, it has the Boston Public Library and Trinity Church -- in the heart of Back Bay.
7. Boston Harbor cruise/tour -- There are many varieties available. The Duck Boat tours are fun, if you like the cheesy, touristy type tours, plus it gives both a land and sea tour of the city. Or there are many types that leave over by the Aquarium (which is fine but not as good as the Shedd Aquarium or some others I've been to).
8. Faneiul Hall -- on the Freedom Trail, festive outdoor shopping and restaurants.
Don’t eat at the restaurants, go into one of the buildings. They have a ton of food vendors and it’s much cheaper than the restaurants. The building’s called Quincy Market
Cheers is here as well. Have to at least have one beer. It’s not the original, but it’s still Cheers.
They have quite a few street performers here as well.
9. Fenway Park -- if you're a baseball fan. Tickets are hard to get!
Don’t go to the Fenway stop, it’s closer to the actual ballpark to use the Kenmore station. Either way, you’re going to have to walk a few blocks.

[This list could easily be done in two days because everything is so close.]

If you like authentic Chinese food, Boston has a decent-sized Chinatown.
It's perfectly safe during the day, but not all would feel comfortable there late at night.

There is a nice running/walking/biking trail along the Charles River that gives you a different view of the city and Cambridge.

Two good pizza places we liked were PICCO in the South End and Figs on Charles Street near the Public Garden. Figs is by the celebrity chef, Todd English (of whom I'm a fan). He also does Kingfish Hall at Faneiul Hall, and Olives in Charlestown. Cheers is a fun spot to visit. There's the location that they took the outside shots from for the TV show on Beacon Street (again, right near the Public Garden), and there's another one that's supposed to look like the inside at Faneuil Hall. Ye Old Union Oyster House is a seafood place that's been around forever. E.g., you can see JFK's favorite booth where he'd sit when he ate there. Legal Seafood is a local, delicious seafood chain that is my Dad's favorite for seafood. B&G Oysters is a newer place by a local chef that is supposed to be delicious.

In Boston, taking the subway (the T), is definitely the way to go.
Renting a car for your sightseeing days would be a waste of time. Staying in the city would be handy, but as long as your hotel has T access, it doesn't take too long to get anywhere. I can't think of a specific hotel I'd recommend, but you'd want to stay away from locations in Dorchester or South Boston because they have some rougher patches. Back Bay and Beacon Hill are the nicest areas and in the heart of things to do.

Whet
6/11/2008, 09:25 PM
Look for Norm!

bluedogok
6/11/2008, 10:56 PM
The Paramount (http://www.paramountboston.com/pages/home.html) is good for lunch or breakfast, it's on Charles Street in the Beacon Hill area. It has been open since 1937. Faneiul Hall is interesting to walk through, some interesting stores there but as cam stated, not much good food there, mostly chain stuff that is everywhere else. We stayed in the Holiday Inn Medical Center (Beacon Hill area) for a decent price. Not the greatest of places but it was nice for the price.

Have fun, I wanted to get back up to a game there this year but it looks like I will just have to see the Sox in Houston.

royalfan5
6/11/2008, 10:57 PM
Don't forget to punch a Sox fan.

colleyvillesooner
6/11/2008, 10:58 PM

Like the Rangers punched your bullpen the last two nights? ;)

royalfan5
6/11/2008, 11:07 PM
Like the Rangers punched your bullpen the last two nights? ;)

Maybe not that bad, I don't want anyone seriously hurt. Maybe just a stomach punch instead of a head shot.

SouthFortySooner
6/11/2008, 11:24 PM
I don't remember being dissapointed by the New England Aquarium.

Penguin
6/12/2008, 12:27 AM
Kill a redcoat. I hear they have a real problem up there.

Dear God! Whatever you do, don't do a GIS for redcoat!

NYC Poke
6/12/2008, 12:33 AM
If it's just an afternoon, just drink in one of the many places to drink in Boston. Trust me, on e of the M*******s will give you a funny story to write about here.

eta: Go into downtown. It's pretty cool, lots of historic stuff, and you'll come back with an amusing story from a drunk M*******.

King Crimson
6/12/2008, 12:40 AM
ditto the use of the T line. easy to get around.

NYC Poke
6/12/2008, 12:55 AM
BTW, I was given a generous tour of Boston by my best friend from high school, who was OU undergrad and OU med. He's now on faculty at Harvard Med. I engage in my most robust smack talk with Joe.

Funny thing is, one of his colleagues is one of my fraternity brothers. I can totally see Joe there, but my fraternity brother being there is like, WTF? I did weirder stuff with my friend from high school, though none invovling sheep, as I grew up in Tulsa. My relationship with my fraternity brother involved no sheep either, as he was from OKC, though I did once hold a urinal filter in my teeth to prove its cleanliness when I was a pledge and he was in charge of housecleaning (he sent us all to bed afterwards -- the taste faded and the sleep was worth it).

My point is, just hang out at a pub and drink a few beers.

Jimminy Crimson
6/12/2008, 01:09 AM
Some of my wife's family lives in Boston. Here is the list they sent us last year. Sam Adams brewery was pretty darn cool as well. It's way out there though.

1. Freedom Trail -- walkable, goes past the historic spots in Boston, and also goes by many restaurants, shopping, etc., included in other things I'll mention below.
a. Bunker Hill monument is on the trail. It’s a ton of steps that are pretty much strait up. Quite a hike after walking a lot.
c. You can also tour the USS Cassin Young, a WWII Destroyer at the end that’s pretty cool as well.
2. Newbury Street -- in the Back Bay area, trendy street with shops and restaurants with outdoor dining
3. Boston Common and Public Garden -- Boston's version of Central Park, where the swan boats are
4. North End -- Boston's Little Italy, definitely worth eating dinner there and seeing the small streets and bakeries. I've tried many restaurants and can't say I have a definite favorite, but be sure you make it to either Mike's Pastries or Modern Pastries, both on Hanover Street, the main drag. Mike's is bigger and has better display cases, and they both go back and forth winning awards for best cannoli.
5. Harvard Square -- right off the Red Line, easy to walk through Harvard Yard (in the school), plus it's an area where funky people hang out, again with shops and restaurants all around.
6. Copley Square -- I like this area, it has the Boston Public Library and Trinity Church -- in the heart of Back Bay.
7. Boston Harbor cruise/tour -- There are many varieties available. The Duck Boat tours are fun, if you like the cheesy, touristy type tours, plus it gives both a land and sea tour of the city. Or there are many types that leave over by the Aquarium (which is fine but not as good as the Shedd Aquarium or some others I've been to).
8. Faneiul Hall -- on the Freedom Trail, festive outdoor shopping and restaurants.
Don’t eat at the restaurants, go into one of the buildings. They have a ton of food vendors and it’s much cheaper than the restaurants. The building’s called Quincy Market
Cheers is here as well. Have to at least have one beer. It’s not the original, but it’s still Cheers.
Don’t go to the Fenway stop, it’s closer to the actual ballpark to use the Kenmore station. Either way, you’re going to have to walk a few blocks.

It's perfectly safe during the day, but not all would feel comfortable there late at night.

There is a nice running/walking/biking trail along the Charles River that gives you a different view of the city and Cambridge.

Two good pizza places we liked were PICCO in the South End and Figs on Charles Street near the Public Garden. Figs is by the celebrity chef, Todd English (of whom I'm a fan). He also does Kingfish Hall at Faneiul Hall, and Olives in Charlestown. Cheers is a fun spot to visit. There's the location that they took the outside shots from for the TV show on Beacon Street (again, right near the Public Garden), and there's another one that's supposed to look like the inside at Faneuil Hall. Ye Old Union Oyster House is a seafood place that's been around forever. E.g., you can see JFK's favorite booth where he'd sit when he ate there. Legal Seafood is a local, delicious seafood chain that is my Dad's favorite for seafood. B&G Oysters is a newer place by a local chef that is supposed to be delicious.

Renting a car for your sightseeing days would be a waste of time. Staying in the city would be handy, but as long as your hotel has T access, it doesn't take too long to get anywhere. I can't think of a specific hotel I'd recommend, but you'd want to stay away from locations in Dorchester or South Boston because they have some rougher patches. Back Bay and Beacon Hill are the nicest areas and in the heart of things to do.

Do what Cam said. Especially Freedom Trail/Fenway Tour/North End (Mike's Pastry!!)/Boston Common-Public Garden.

Enjoy!

Mixer!
6/12/2008, 01:22 AM
Maybe not that bad, I don't want anyone seriously hurt. Maybe just a stomach punch instead of a head shot.
Maybe pants ManRam?

6/12/2008, 02:19 AM
Dear God! Whatever you do, don't do a GIS for redcoat!

I've fallen prey to these tactics before. :D I'm going to assume the GIS leads to something involving a poodle and someone wearing leather.

GrapevineSooner
6/12/2008, 06:58 AM

Why would he fly up to Boston to do that when he could just drive to Watauga? :D

But if he did...

<---

soonerbrat
6/12/2008, 08:10 AM
just take one of those bus tours.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2008, 08:45 AM
Why would he fly up to Boston to do that when he could just drive to Watauga? :D

But if he did...

<---

...He wouldn't whiff like that.

:D

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2008, 08:46 AM

Lots of good ideas here, thanks!

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2008, 08:59 AM
How long does this freedom trail hike take?

C&CDean
6/12/2008, 09:38 AM
How long does this freedom trail hike take?

Depends on how drunk you are.

Cam gave lots of good ideas. What I've always ended up doing is just walking along the freedom trail and taking side streets until I find the local bars that aren't too touristy and expensive. Cheers sucks, just so you know.

One thing I can warn you about in advance is striking up a conversation with one of the local hotties in the bar. She may look beautiful, but the second she opens her mouth and she puts on that Bahston sneeah, and her mouth crinkles all up as she goes "wicked ****ah, did you see wheah to pahk the cah?" as she's snapping her gum and sucking on a Salem, you're gonna go "dang, she just went from an 8 to a foah."

I'll be up there July 4th and 5th, then leaving from Boston on a cruise to Bermuda.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2008, 10:57 AM
Won't be striking up any conversation with the local hotties. Got my own hottie back home, who would probably punch you for suggesting I talk to one. :D

Yeah, I figured Cheers was a ripoff and will be skipping it.

C&CDean
6/12/2008, 11:13 AM
Won't be striking up any conversation with the local hotties. Got my own hottie back home, who would probably punch you for suggesting I talk to one. :D

Yeah, I figured Cheers was a ripoff and will be skipping it.

So Jennifer reads the boards huh?:P

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2008, 11:31 AM
So Jennifer reads the boards huh?:P

:mad:

I bet The 4th in Boston will be cool (for Dean) I'm there the 15th

SouthFortySooner
6/12/2008, 11:37 AM
4th! There should be some spectacular fireworks somers.

6/12/2008, 11:59 AM
You could always spend the day curled in the fetal position in your darkened hotel room.