PDA

View Full Version : Which incoming player will make the biggest impact?

soonerfan28
6/10/2008, 04:31 PM
I would have to say R.J. Washington. Venables was on the sports animal Friday and said they might just put him in there on 3rd down to just go get the QB . After that I would have to say Bryant and then maybe Balogun. Maybe Calhoun, but I remember AD didn't even start the first game of his freshman year.

JLEW1818
6/10/2008, 04:33 PM
R.J. Washington without doubt.

soonerfan28
6/10/2008, 04:34 PM
Maybe I should have said this year to be clear.

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 04:35 PM
Washington

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 04:37 PM
Actually...probably will be Tres Way....forgot about Hartley being gone.

Sooner_09
6/10/2008, 11:24 PM
Washington no doubt about it. Keep your eye on Sims in the return game though.

goingoneight
6/10/2008, 11:24 PM
Carter Whitson at placeholder.

Curly Bill
6/10/2008, 11:37 PM
Another vote for R.J. Washington.

...but the kicker thing has potential too.

southern sooner
6/10/2008, 11:57 PM
RJ or J Calhoun - the kid may end up starting at tailback by week 3.

Civicus_Sooner
6/11/2008, 07:22 AM
If Demarco Murry's kneee doesn't heal, It's gonna be Calhoun

Mad Dog Madsen
6/11/2008, 08:37 AM
I say Justin Johnson.

NormanPride
6/11/2008, 10:48 AM
Smart money is on the kicker, if he can kick the ball in the endzone on kickoffs... But for the every down players, I'd say Bryant or Sims have the best shot. Washington, Owens, Jarboe, and Hanna may get some snaps, but I doubt they're the biggest impact of the new guys.

Potentially, if one of the WRs or Hanna is a star, then they could earn a starting spot. Otherwise, I think we're too stacked at the other positions to let anybody fresh out of HS in. If they do get in, I'd be worried about what weaknesses it opens up.

soonerfan28
6/11/2008, 11:11 AM
We are so loaded at DE that even with Washington being great he'll probably see very little time, so they should just redshirt him. It will be nice to see him Chaisson, Beal and Alexander next year though. It will probably be Bryant. He has the speed and if he can figure out the scheme then he could for sure make an impact. Justin Johnson didn't impress in the spring. I think he has a leg up on Calhoun because he was here in the spring, but is probably another Chris Brown. Very consistent but not flashy. After watching D-Murray's highlights on youtube I think he's going to be the starter and get the bulk of the carries. We'll have to see how the knee injury affected his cuts.

JLEW1818
6/11/2008, 01:53 PM
You think DM will be more of a Reggie Bush style player this year? Style as in running the ball, receiving the ball, punt return, kick return, hell put him at FS sometimes.

stoopified
6/11/2008, 05:21 PM
LB JR Bryant.Clahoun is a redshirt barring injuries,Washington is coming into a deep spot with Beal,English,John Williams returning and the prowess of RS Frosh Frank Anderson about to be unleashed.

Curly Bill
6/11/2008, 06:28 PM
You guys claiming DE is a position of strength...well, I don't see it, at least not proven strength. English is a stud, but Beal is largely unproven, though I like his potential, John Williams? I don't know, maybe he can play a full season, and Frank Anderson? again, unproven.

If all these guys play to their potential then it might in fact be a position of strength, but as of yet the jury is out.

Jewstin
6/11/2008, 06:40 PM
Man, just reading about the studs we've got coming in ...

THIS YEAR IS GOING TO FREAKING ROCK.

I can feelz it in my bonez.

JLEW1818
6/11/2008, 06:50 PM
Do y'all get more and more excited for each upcoming year?

Eielson
6/11/2008, 06:57 PM

Way has my vote.

soonerfan28
6/11/2008, 07:08 PM
Tress has the leg to make an impact with Hartley gone and it's not like he has as much to learn as a the other players.

soonerfan28
6/11/2008, 07:10 PM
Beal was a beast against Mizzou in the Big 12 championship. Maybe his stats didn't show, but he was awesome and they were #1. Alan Davis is also in the mix and Venables also said McGee has the size and skill to get some time at DE.

htownsooner7
6/12/2008, 01:05 PM
We are so loaded at DE that even with Washington being great he'll probably see very little time, so they should just redshirt him. It will be nice to see him Chaisson, Beal and Alexander next year though. It will probably be Bryant. He has the speed and if he can figure out the scheme then he could for sure make an impact. Justin Johnson didn't impress in the spring. I think he has a leg up on Calhoun because he was here in the spring, but is probably another Chris Brown. Very consistent but not flashy. After watching D-Murray's highlights on youtube I think he's going to be the starter and get the bulk of the carries. We'll have to see how the knee injury affected his cuts.

You are aware that 3 of our 4 top D lineman aren't seniors right? Is there some reason that you're claiming that those guys are going to beat English, Granger, and McCoy out? Perhaps an oversight on you're part..

Mad Dog Madsen
6/12/2008, 01:17 PM

What about that Jimmy Stevens guy? Wasn't he a pretty good kicker coming out of HS too or is Tress Way just better? Stronger leg I suppose? Don't know much about the kickers.

Youngsooner
6/12/2008, 02:56 PM
I saw stevens kick in the spring.. I'll just say Way has a REALLY good chance at starting

Sooner_09
6/12/2008, 03:29 PM
Stevens wasn't overly impressive this spring.

goingoneight
6/12/2008, 09:36 PM
Stevens is good, he's just not Garrett "Nail a 70-yarder" Hartley-good. Comparing what we lost to what we got, Stevens is good for field goals and PATs, Way is the future punting and kicking off.

soonerfan28
6/13/2008, 08:22 AM
You are aware that 3 of our 4 top D lineman aren't seniors right? Is there some reason that you're claiming that those guys are going to beat English, Granger, and McCoy out? Perhaps an oversight on you're part..

I'm pretty sure that Alexander is going to play this year and with Washington I was just going by what Venables said on the sports animal. If he said that Washington will get snaps this year then why wouldn't he in 2009. Chaisson is just a guess. Maybe I'm just believing the hype machine. And McGee will start out playing DE until he gains some weight.

adoniijahsooner
6/14/2008, 07:13 AM
David Sims at saftey and as a return man. The guy had over 70 tackles last year and runs a legit 4.3 40, Trust me he will be a star. Calhoun would be my next choice.

mizzOUstu702
6/14/2008, 11:05 AM
I'd probably say Bryant or Sims--hopefully Balogun too. I think Washington will probably get a little PT, but we ARE pretty deep there, health withstanding.

I'm a little weary about Calhoun--on one hand, he's one of the top rated backs in the nation; not to say that ratings matter, but those scouts have seen him play enough to know what he's capable of. On the other hand, I didn't see much out of him in the ESPN All-American game against kids his age, so I'm not sure how he'll do against speedier juniors and seniors. But hey, I really hope he proves me wrong.

In short, I don't think he'll be AD his first year, but he'll be a special player one day.

JLEW1818
6/14/2008, 01:13 PM
Ya I can See Sims and Franks doing some damage to other teams QB's this year. Its just a matter of time.