PDA

View Full Version : very strange text message

soonerbrat
6/10/2008, 10:41 AM
I just got a text message that says "WARNING your EPPICard online service is expired. for renewal use www.eppicardform.com"

the sender is [email protected]

I have absolutely no idea what this is. I googled "eppicardform" and it came back with no replies. any ideas?

royalfan5
6/10/2008, 10:42 AM
They also send spam emails if that helps.

soonerbrat
6/10/2008, 10:43 AM
where would it get my number? i've never gotten a spam text message before

frankensooner
6/10/2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.mahalo.com/Eppicard_Scam

some kind of way for scammers to get your money.

soonerbrat
6/10/2008, 10:44 AM
nice, it's to try to steal child support.

Scott D
6/10/2008, 10:45 AM
spammers know no limit.

Partial Qualifier
6/10/2008, 10:45 AM
I've had that text on my phone too, several times over the last couple weeks

JohnnyMack
6/10/2008, 10:47 AM
Remember when that guy from Muskogee started texting me and threatening to beat me up for being with his girl? And told me not to leave my job at the tire place in my van? Then I posted his number and Olevet called him. It ruled.

sooner n houston
6/10/2008, 10:48 AM
A new Internet scam has surfaced that targets users of the Eppicard, an electronic cash card used by many state governments for the issue of child support payments. A phishing email requests that users log in to verify their account status, but directs them to a phony site where their log in information can be captured. So far Georgia, New York and Florida appear to be targeted, with states issuing warnings to the card users to beware of the scam.

Eppicard Statement
The following statement has been issued on the official Eppicard website in regard to the phishing and other scams:

" Please be aware that there are current reports of phishing emails, phone text messages, and phishing phone calls, intended to obtain personal and/or card information. Phishing and phishing are types of scams designed to steal your personal information. We will never request your personal information such as social security number, card number or PIN through any of these methods. Please do not respond to requests like these. Being informed is your best defense. See the Protect Yourself link for ways of avoiding identity theft. If you believe your card account has been compromised, please call the number on the back of the card."

Tulsa_Fireman
6/10/2008, 10:55 AM
Remember when that guy from Muskogee started texting me and threatening to beat me up for being with his girl? And told me not to leave my job at the tire place in my van? Then I posted his number and Olevet called him. It ruled.

Was she hawt?

JohnnyMack
6/10/2008, 10:57 AM
Hells yeah. I tapped that *** in the back of my van.

NormanPride
6/10/2008, 11:07 AM
At the tire place? That's risky, bro.

Scott D
6/10/2008, 11:10 AM
I've had that text on my phone too, several times over the last couple weeks

well quit scammin the child support and you wouldn't get that text ;)

soonerbrat
6/10/2008, 11:14 AM
i don't get child support, so i have no idea where they'd get my number

OUDoc
6/10/2008, 11:18 AM
My cell phone number gets circulated to no one. I rarely even have it turned on, yet I get these spam text messages every once in a while, too. I don't know if they send it to every number possible, or if the phone company leaks our numbers. It's annoying. I wish they'd get spammed back more often.

Scott D
6/10/2008, 11:18 AM

they prolly bought it from the incredible ********* ;)

Partial Qualifier
6/10/2008, 11:50 AM

you're damn right you don't. :mad:

Shoulda let me play golf more often; then - well, you might get a check every now & then ;)

OKLA21FAN
6/10/2008, 11:55 AM

the '900 number' sex/chat lines maybe? (remember when you were going thru that phase!!!) :pop:

Scott D
6/10/2008, 12:01 PM
you're damn right you don't. :mad:

Shoulda let me play golf more often; then - well, you might get a check every now & then ;)

see told ya he was scamming the system ;)

sooner_born_1960
6/10/2008, 12:06 PM
Most of my spam text messages are of the "hot stock tip" variety. Thankfully, only one or two a month. I pay as I go on text messages.

olevetonahill
6/10/2008, 12:16 PM

I remember that
the Dude wasnt fallin for it. :D

soonerbrat
6/10/2008, 12:39 PM
they just sent me another one. bastards. this one has a different website

sooner_born_1960
6/10/2008, 12:44 PM
they just sent me another one. bastards. this one has a different website
You said I could call. I just assumed texting would be ok.

Chuck Bao
6/10/2008, 01:57 PM
Welcome to my world.

I'm getting spam text messages almost every day. I'm sure my phone company sold my number and I can't get my text message service permanantly turned off.

OKLA21FAN
6/10/2008, 02:14 PM
Welcome to my world.

I'm getting spam text messages almost every day. I'm sure my phone company sold my number and I can't get my text message service permanantly turned off.

me primary yahoo email addy has been slammed over the past month or so letting me know that i have won lotteries, and to help some Nigerian dude get some money out of the bank.

me thinks the yahoo email spam police is slipping.

Chuck Bao
6/10/2008, 02:29 PM
me primary yahoo email addy has been slammed over the past month or so letting me know that i have won lotteries, and to help some Nigerian dude get some money out of the bank.

me thinks the yahoo email spam police is slipping.

At least with email spam, your phone isn't making a noise every five minutes that you have an unviewed text message. It not only wears down my battery, but I can no longer keep my cellphone on my bedside table when I sleep.

:mad:

M
6/10/2008, 03:07 PM
I get a lot of weird text messages too, but generally they get weirder after midnight. :rolleyes:

olevetonahill
6/10/2008, 05:12 PM
At least with email spam, your phone isn't making a noise every five minutes that you have an unviewed text message. It not only wears down my battery, but I can no longer keep my cellphone on my bedside table when I sleep.

:mad:

If Mine Vibrated every few Minutes I wouldnt keep it on a Table either
Just sayin

Chuck Bao
6/10/2008, 05:37 PM
If Mine Vibrated every few Minutes I wouldnt keep it on a Table either
Just sayin

Of course! Throw it in the trash can. I hate those damn things.

And while I'm complaining, people don't need to talk so much, especially at restaurants, in elevators, while driving cars and while jaywalking across busy intersections.

One of my analysts wrote last week that Thailand now has about 55 million cellphone subscribers. That's a 90% penetration rate. WTF? Everyone over the age of 10 has one already?

When I first came to Thailand 20 years ago the fixed line penetration rate was less than 5%. The queue for getting a phone was about five years, or you could jump the queue with an under-the-table payment of about $1,500.