PDA

View Full Version : I was asked to be a godfather

Penguin
6/9/2008, 05:03 PM
So, is this an honorary title, or will I be legally obligated to take care of the child when the parents are swept away in the rapture of December 25, 2012?

olevetonahill
6/9/2008, 05:19 PM
So, is this an honorary title, or will I be legally obligated to take care of the child when the parents are swept away in the rapture of December 25, 2012?

Not so sure about the Legal part .
But you are expected to provide B-day gifts , Grad gifts , Emotional supportetc.
It really hinges On Yalls Faith I think the Catholics take it a Lot More serious than the rest of us Heatherns

crawfish
6/9/2008, 05:29 PM
someday, maybe, they can do a favor for you.

mdklatt
6/9/2008, 05:29 PM
Being asked to be the father is better. :texan:

Jerk
6/9/2008, 05:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOdD3cXrgmE

olevetonahill
6/9/2008, 05:49 PM
Being asked to be the father is better. :texan:

you like to Pay support Huh ? :eek:

mdklatt
6/9/2008, 06:01 PM
you like to Pay support Huh ? :eek:

Anonymous donor. :O

olevetonahill
6/9/2008, 06:06 PM
Anonymous donor. :O

So casual secks huh ?

Blue
6/9/2008, 10:03 PM
The rapture will happen. Maybe in a few months. Maybe in 10 years. I'd be sure not to get into a "Very Bad Things" type of situation. Chillin will be raptured too. Only heathens like you will be left. ;)

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2008, 10:20 PM
Can I have your stuff?

Blue
6/9/2008, 10:24 PM
It'll be fun to see society break down. No hope but thier own genius.

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2008, 10:25 PM
Yeah, sure, society breaking down and all, but still:

Can I have your stuff?

Blue
6/9/2008, 10:26 PM
Mine? or Penguins? :D

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2008, 10:28 PM
Well both, hopefully.

Blue
6/9/2008, 10:30 PM
You can have what I've got by reading the Bible.

Be a drunk, be a degenerate, be whatever. My hope is in the King of Kings. This world will not last.

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2008, 10:30 PM
Man, think about how places like eHarmony would have to regear their website.

"What religion are you?"

"Christian? You must not be a very good one!"

Frozen Sooner
6/9/2008, 10:32 PM
You can have what I've got by reading the Bible.

Be a drunk, be a degenerate, be whatever. My hope is in the King of Kings. This world will not last.

I've read it a couple of times.

I'll be over for your TV later.

Blue
6/9/2008, 10:37 PM
You can have it, Mike. Why intelligent people deny the signs of the times are beyond me.

olevetonahill
6/9/2008, 10:45 PM
I've read it a couple of times.

I'll be over for your TV later.

Being an EX pentacostal
IF the Rapture Happens you aint gonna have time to watch Tee Vee
Just sayin
:eek:

Fraggle145
6/9/2008, 10:47 PM
d00d mike I am taking half.

silverwheels
6/9/2008, 10:48 PM
December 21, actually.

Fraggle145
6/9/2008, 10:48 PM
You can have it, Mike. Why intelligent people deny the signs of the times are beyond me.

Why intelligent people believe in fairy tales is beyond me.

Blue
6/9/2008, 10:52 PM

We shall see my friend.

Fraggle145
6/9/2008, 10:53 PM
We shall see my friend.

In the end, we surely will :O

olevetonahill
6/9/2008, 10:54 PM
d00d mike I am taking half.

See you degree Is worthless
WTF are you gonna do wit 1/2 a TeeVee ?:confused:

olevetonahill
6/9/2008, 10:57 PM
In the end, we surely will :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwWsjpMuNU
heres the answer

Fraggle145
6/9/2008, 11:06 PM
See you degree Is worthless
WTF are you gonna do wit 1/2 a TeeVee ?:confused:

Hang out at ur house? :confused: :P

Fraggle145
6/9/2008, 11:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtwWsjpMuNU
heres the answer

Never heard it before... my bad. That song is teh win.

Penguin
6/10/2008, 01:17 AM
Well, the way I figure it, the kid will be 4 by the time this goes down.

Perfect age for a human sacrifice. You know. We'll be making up all sorts of wacky religions when our 666 computer chips activate.

Fraggle145
6/10/2008, 01:21 AM
Well, the way I figure it, the kid will be 4 by the time this goes down.

Perfect age for a human sacrifice. You know. We'll be making up all sorts of wacky religions when our 666 computer chips activate.

http://sportinggnomes.com/images/temple_of_doom_flaming-heart.jpg

Okla-homey
6/10/2008, 05:15 AM

Perhaps because science has failed us far too many times, yet faith has yet to do so. Thus, faith is a rational response to the human experience.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting. But people have found Christianity too difficult and thus have not tried it. An ordinary human defensive and face-saving response to a thing found too difficult is to belittle it.

crawfish
6/10/2008, 07:05 AM
Nice threadjack. I hope Penguin gives you all an offer you can't refuse. :mad:

Mixer!
6/10/2008, 09:22 AM
I was hoping to find The Crazy World of Arthur Brown video as I read this thread. Alas...

RCClFi-dQFk

Fraggle145
6/10/2008, 09:25 AM
Perhaps because science has failed us far too many times, yet faith has yet to do so. Thus, faith is a rational response to the human experience.

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting. But people have found Christianity too difficult and thus have not tried it. An ordinary human defensive and face-saving response to a thing found too difficult is to belittle it.

I said that cuz I felt belittled first.

I have tried christianity. I was a christian most of my young life.

The point that faith and/or christianity has yet to fail or yet to be found wanting is understandable because it is faith so everything gets justified. For example:

"Why did Billy die in a plane crash? God must have had a reason."
"Why are people all over the world starving to death? God must have a reason."

It is incapable of failure.

Science is inexact and difficult to get right the first, second, fifth time. thus failure is part of the process. Unfortunately it is held to the standards of faith. Often it is used for the wrong devices etc... Anyway I wasnt meaning to belittle religion, I was trying to turn what blue said on its head.

OklahomaRed
6/10/2008, 09:42 AM
Back to the topic? Do you want to be a kid's godfather? Deppends on your relationship with the people asking? It's not about the responsibilities if the relationship is there. My brother and his wife asked me to be the godfather of their first kid. You damn straight I accepted. It is my priviledge, honor, and hope that I can have some type of positive effect in my niece's upbringing, and if by God's grace, something ever happens to my brother or his wife, I will bring that kid up like my own without a second of consideration of any alternative! :D

Does that answer your question on whether or not you want to be a godfather? Your choice.

SoonerInKCMO
6/10/2008, 09:51 AM

Faith is rational? Oohhh-kaayyy.

JohnnyMack
6/10/2008, 09:56 AM

Yep. That's why I'm not a Christian. Because it's too hard. :rolleyes:

JohnnyMack
6/10/2008, 09:57 AM
I said that cuz I felt belittled first.

I have tried christianity. I was a christian most of my young life.

The point that faith and/or christianity has yet to fail or yet to be found wanting is understandable because it is faith so everything gets justified. For example:

"Why did Billy die in a plane crash? God must have had a reason."
"Why are people all over the world starving to death? God must have a reason."

It is incapable of failure.

Science is inexact and difficult to get right the first, second, fifth time. thus failure is part of the process. Unfortunately it is held to the standards of faith. Often it is used for the wrong devices etc... Anyway I wasnt meaning to belittle religion, I was trying to turn what blue said on its head.

And Oklahoma is considering legislation that makes "God must have a reason" an acceptable answer for our children to give out in school. It's embarrassing.

olevetonahill
6/10/2008, 09:57 AM
Yep. That's why I'm not a Christian. Because it's too hard. :rolleyes:

I thought it was Just cause your a Heathern :D

JohnnyMack
6/10/2008, 09:58 AM
I thought it was Just cause your a Heathern :D

http://www.adpulp.com/satan.jpg

Taxman71
6/10/2008, 09:59 AM
Whatever you do, do not hire this guy to perform the briss:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6e/Sein_ep505.jpg/200px-Sein_ep505.jpg

sooner_born_1960
6/10/2008, 10:00 AM
And Oklahoma is considering legislation that makes "God must have a reason" an acceptable answer for our children to give out in school. It's embarrassing.
Link?

Fraggle145
6/10/2008, 10:01 AM

Believe me I know. I think I started a thread about it a while back. Anyway, I emailed the Gov, and the legislature doubt it did much.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111587

Anyway. Penguin if you love the parents and the kid and are willing to accept the responsibility I say go for it. :O

JohnnyMack
6/10/2008, 10:09 AM
Link?

C&CDean
6/10/2008, 10:38 AM
So, I guess these people are really hard up for a godfather.

soonerbrat
6/10/2008, 10:48 AM
We shall see my friend.

what does JCS stand for? Jesus Christ Superstar?

Fraggle145
6/10/2008, 10:56 AM
what does JCS stand for? Jesus Christ Superstar?

that was my guess. :confused:

JohnnyMack
6/10/2008, 10:58 AM
Just Canned. Srsly.

Frozen Sooner
6/10/2008, 11:02 AM
It's Blue's initials.

He was a tad inebriated last night so we gave him some cool-down time. He'll be back shortly.

NormanPride
6/10/2008, 11:06 AM
Poor blue. This was pretty tame, though, or did he do some other shenanigans that got modded?

soonerboomer93
6/10/2008, 11:15 AM

Some people disagree with that.

Frozen Sooner
6/10/2008, 11:23 AM
It wasn't due to his actions in this thread.

OklahomaRed
6/10/2008, 12:01 PM

I doubt that it's quite that simplistic. I am all for separating Church and State, thus I don't want any religious subject taught in public school because the issue becomes where to draw the line?

However, asking me to believe that the universe started from a big bang that came from nowhere is just about as embarrassing? I mean, come on? :confused:

Fraggle145
6/10/2008, 12:51 PM
I doubt that it's quite that simplistic. I am all for separating Church and State, thus I don't want any religious subject taught in public school because the issue becomes where to draw the line?

However, asking me to believe that the universe started from a big bang that came from nowhere is just about as embarrassing? I mean, come on? :confused:

Where's Ike? he can probably tell us more about the evidence for the big bang...

As for the school stuff, the religion wouldnt be taught, but it would have to be accepted as an answer. Like I say in that thread, if it is for a creative project that is fine, but this opens the door to have people to use religion to answer math or science questions for example and some poor sucker is going to end up in court for refusing to accept that as an answer. :eek:

sooner_born_1960
6/10/2008, 12:59 PM
The amendment doesn't say what you are implying it says.

JohnnyMack
6/10/2008, 01:10 PM

Vizzini: HE DIDN'T FALL? INCONCEIVABLE.
Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Penguin
6/10/2008, 01:31 PM
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/penguincult/_images/threadjack.gif

Fraggle145
6/10/2008, 01:48 PM

You dont think that someone, and perhaps a good deal of someones, will not attempt to use that in a way other than what is intended for?

Personally I dont think it is necessary. I think it is opening a can of worms that once it is open wont be that easy to shut. I also think some of the people ready to open it wont realize what is happening till it is too late.

:pop:

sooner_born_1960
6/10/2008, 01:51 PM
That's still a long way from
"And Oklahoma is considering legislation that makes "God must have a reason" an acceptable answer for our children to give out in school."