PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Jocksniffers... or just plain ol' nice people?

Partial Qualifier
6/9/2008, 02:52 PM
So some people I know have a new hobby lately - "befriending" OU football players to the tune of having them over for Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas, and stuff like that.

"well, we wanted to provide Thanksgiving to the guys who couldn't afford to go home for the holidays." To hear them describe it, they're providing Jesus to the poor homeless football players. And they sure love beginning sentences with a robust "Well I was talking to <starting football player> at our house the other day..." yeah.. you're 52 and he's 19. I bet you have a lot in common there, jethro.

:rolleyes:

To me, it's damn creepy (but these people are wierd to begin with). Do you know any of these types and if so, do you think they could be Brad McRae-dangerous?

Bone
6/9/2008, 02:54 PM
It is creepy.

Partial Qualifier
6/9/2008, 02:54 PM
...only 920 posts to go, Bone ;)

RedstickSooner
6/9/2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, it's weird, but it's weird from two angles. First, it's weird to do. But second, it seems weird for the football players involved to accept. That being the case, I can't help thinking maybe it's just one of those matters of perspective -- obviously both parties think there's nothing weird about having stranger in your house for a holiday, or spending a holiday in a stranger's house.

To me, both are alien. Thanksgiving and Christmas are the sorts of times I spend exclusively with close family members. I couldn't even begin to imagine spending 'em with anyone else. Either inviting someone else into my home, or going into someone else's home.

In this case, therefore, I don't grok either side. Strikes me as highly odd. But, if everyone involved is happy... Well, heck, good for them. I guess. Ain't my cup of tea, but if it works for them, guess it's fine.

Maybe someone who does this could come by the boards some time and explain how they came to this point -- and what the kids are like who take 'em up on such an offer.

royalfan5
6/9/2008, 03:33 PM
I don't think it would be weird if the adult in question had a kid in school that was friends with the player and they brought them over. When I was in school it was pretty common for the far out of state kids to spend some of the breaks at the homes of nearby friends. But it is pretty weird unless there is some other connection from adult to player than being a booster/fan.

soonerfan28
6/9/2008, 03:34 PM
I can understand it. Not to be corny, but isn't that what the holidays are about. I know it would be a little odd but it's still giving to others. I'm sure there are hidden agendas with some people, but not evrybody can be out for themselves.

badger
6/9/2008, 03:42 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... GUYS?

1- NCAA violation.
2- They're probably lying
3- If they creep you out, they would also creep the players out.

As per NCAA rules, coaches are allowed to have team meals at their house. However, birthday presents, reduced prices on goods or services or free things, like meals from boosters are NOT ALLOWED. That means that Jethro is endangering championship number 8 and should be punched in the face.

Or, it means that Jethro is lying and also needs to be punched in the face. Players are well versed in what is allowed and not allowed and that means that they likely won't accept some weird fanatic's offer for free food.

Jethro is lying (and need I remind you, should be punched in the face) because the holidays you mentioned are both in the middle of football season and therefore, these players wouldn't be going anywhere for meals other than a team bus or team plane to the next practice and game. Thanksgiving is... oh, look at that! BADLEM WEEK. Therefore, they are in Stillwater preparing... is Jethro from Stillwater? PUNCH HIM!

Christmas is a time when Sooners are preparing or already at the bowl location and are being delivered NCAA-approved Christmas presents. The Rose Bowl year, for example, since it was the PS2 Rose Bowl, they all got Playstation 2's for Christmas. Another year, it was the Nokia Sugar Bowl, so of course they get free crappy "taco phone" Nokia N-Gage thingys. Oh... and perdiem, so is Jethro not even IN Oklahoma, or is he just not football savvy enough to know that the Sooners go bowling each and every year to a place very far from his home? Punch some sense into him.

In conclusion, all liars and people threatening the possibility of championship No. 8 through NCAA violations should be punched directly in the face. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

piusbovis
6/9/2008, 04:01 PM
I get the feeling those masks basketball players wear to protect their face are going to be popular among people in the general vicinity of Badger's fists for awhile. At least until the punch-happy fever abates a bit.

The fella in question should just be happy she picked "face" and "punch" rather than "groin" and "kick." It's the small blessings in life that are so meaningful.

Animal Mother
6/9/2008, 04:14 PM
ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... GUYS?

1- NCAA violation.
2- They're probably lying
3- If they creep you out, they would also creep the players out.

As per NCAA rules, coaches are allowed to have team meals at their house. However, birthday presents, reduced prices on goods or services or free things, like meals from boosters are NOT ALLOWED. That means that Jethro is endangering championship number 8 and should be punched in the face.

Or, it means that Jethro is lying and also needs to be punched in the face. Players are well versed in what is allowed and not allowed and that means that they likely won't accept some weird fanatic's offer for free food.

Jethro is lying (and need I remind you, should be punched in the face) because the holidays you mentioned are both in the middle of football season and therefore, these players wouldn't be going anywhere for meals other than a team bus or team plane to the next practice and game. Thanksgiving is... oh, look at that! BADLEM WEEK. Therefore, they are in Stillwater preparing... is Jethro from Stillwater? PUNCH HIM!

Christmas is a time when Sooners are preparing or already at the bowl location and are being delivered NCAA-approved Christmas presents. The Rose Bowl year, for example, since it was the PS2 Rose Bowl, they all got Playstation 2's for Christmas. Another year, it was the Nokia Sugar Bowl, so of course they get free crappy "taco phone" Nokia N-Gage thingys. Oh... and perdiem, so is Jethro not even IN Oklahoma, or is he just not football savvy enough to know that the Sooners go bowling each and every year to a place very far from his home? Punch some sense into him.

In conclusion, all liars and people threatening the possibility of championship No. 8 through NCAA violations should be punched directly in the face. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Throw in a humilating kick in the crotch for good measure.

Animal Mother
6/9/2008, 04:15 PM
Throw in a humilating kick in the crotch for good measure.

humiliating

Since I can't edit my posts

badger
6/9/2008, 04:17 PM
I get the feeling those masks basketball players wear to protect their face are going to be popular among people in the general vicinity of Badger's fists for awhile. At least until the punch-happy fever abates a bit.

The fella in question should just be happy she picked "face" and "punch" rather than "groin" and "kick." It's the small blessings in life that are so meaningful.

I can't punch... not because I'm a whimpy little girl (even though I am) but rather because I won't do it. NormanPride, however, might :D

Like I said, all those who threaten the hopes of championship No. 8 must be dealt with. If a punch to the face can be easier replaced with a kick to the groin, that's all good too. I just don't want people to lose sight of the fact that we are Oklahoma. We are on probation. We are on NCAA's radar. We are one violation away from a bowl ban. We will hate you if you are that one... because there's only one Oklahoma.

Now, if you are Jethro, you aren't fooling anyone. You don't have Sam Bradford over for dinner unless he is your cousin at a family gathering... and if you claim to be his cousin, you aren't fooling anyone there, either. The only way you would get any football player's attention is a $100 handshake, not an offer to cook him some mashed pertaters... and if you $100 handshake him, you should look out for an oncoming punch or kick to the face or groin :mad:

;)

kbsooner21
6/9/2008, 04:41 PM
Remind me to stay away from Badger will ya :D

SoonerDood
6/9/2008, 04:55 PM
You got quite a girl there, NP.;)

olevetonahill
6/9/2008, 05:14 PM
You got quite a girl there, NP.;)

And she Knows her Football to :D

Partial Qualifier
6/9/2008, 05:18 PM
believe me Badger, my first inclination was to email Bob or Joe and let them know these people's names and let them know what is going on (according to them, anyway). But I figured the players are well-versed in the rules regarding these situations... Good point on the timing (OSU game & bowl preps). Maybe they're just full of ****, but I definitely wouldn't put them past engaging in this type of jocksniffing. I'll see if I can get a definite date when they've had players over.. shouldn't be too hard

badger
6/9/2008, 05:56 PM
believe me Badger, my first inclination was to email Bob or Joe and let them know these people's names and let them know what is going on (according to them, anyway). But I figured the players are well-versed in the rules regarding these situations... Good point on the timing (OSU game & bowl preps). Maybe they're just full of ****, but I definitely wouldn't put them past engaging in this type of jocksniffing. I'll see if I can get a definite date when they've had players over.. shouldn't be too hard

SoonerDood, you've got a good girl (who is a good mom) too.

Let's be honest - we all love to talk about that one time that we met JD Runnels and enjoy talking about what a nice guy he was and how gratious he was for our fannage (fannage?!?! where did I come up with that word). Then, there's that time when Bob Stoops said he appreciated your support when you stood in line two hours to get his autograph. Then, you talk about the time you met Adrian Peterson at the mall and he posed for a picture. All innocent stories and likely true.

But then, you have the shenanigans of diehard fannies who like to make up stuff to sound cool in front of other diehards. Suddenly, the picture you posed with AD at the mall turns into the time you had lunch at the mall with AD. Now, the JD Runnels meeting was actually inviting him out to your summer home and how good he was at fishing. Bob Stoops no longer signed your football at the Sooner Caravan at a two-hour line. No, Bob Stoops called your cell phone to ask you for the winning play and you told him TOUCHDOWN. Tight... end. And it worked, so you got the game ball, which he autographed after you got to stand in the locker room after the game for a full two hours.

My advice? Go ahead and e-mail Joe C. He usually responds to each and every inquiry and comment on anything. He is a very accessible athletic director. Plus, after you find out that these guys are full of shizzle, you'll never have to hear about the time Jethro saved the football season by performing CPR on Sam Bradford at Thanksgiving dinner... WHICH, btw, is because he is close and personal friends with Sammy - that's what his friends call him. SAMMY. :rolleyes:

Beano's Fourth Chin
6/9/2008, 05:56 PM

What is an "Extra Benefit"?

The NCAA defines an extra benefit as any special arrangement by an institutional employee or a representative of the institution's athletics interest ("booster/donor") to provide a student-athlete (or a student-athlete's relative or friend) a benefit that is not generally available to other [institution] students and their relative and/or friends. Therefore, please be aware of the following:

* On infrequent, special occasions (e.g., a birthday, Thanksgiving, etc.), a student-athlete may accept an invitation to the home of an employee of the institution or an athletic booster/donor for a meal.

olevetonahill
6/9/2008, 06:00 PM
What is an "Extra Benefit"?

The NCAA defines an extra benefit as any special arrangement by an institutional employee or a representative of the institution's athletics interest ("booster/donor") to provide a student-athlete (or a student-athlete's relative or friend) a benefit that is not generally available to other [institution] students and their relative and/or friends. Therefore, please be aware of the following:

* On infrequent, special occasions (e.g., a birthday, Thanksgiving, etc.), a student-athlete may accept an invitation to the home of an employee of the institution or an athletic booster/donor for a meal.

So that means Badger Cant be doing the Punching ?:(

Sooner_Havok
6/9/2008, 06:07 PM
Let's be honest - we all love to talk about that one time that we met JD Runnels and enjoy talking about what a nice guy he was and how gratious he was for our fannage

Just so you know, JD was a pretty damned good pool player. Every time we would play cut throat, he would dominate :D

Sooner_Havok
6/9/2008, 06:09 PM
Also, for Thanksgiving we once went and bought some turkey dogs and cooked them in the microwave so we could have a thanksgiving meal with the Russian tennis players.

TopDawg
6/9/2008, 06:11 PM
I went fishing with Ferguson (I call him "Fergie") Jenkins once. I also got to take BP off of him.

TopDawg
6/9/2008, 06:13 PM
I got my picture taken with Olympic speed skater Bonnie Blair. Then we had lunch at the mall.

TopDawg
6/9/2008, 06:16 PM
I played a round of golf with Brandon "Golden Arm" Martin. He sent me a card on my birthday.

TopDawg
6/9/2008, 06:19 PM
I recorded an R&B album with Otis Sistrunk entitled Nothing Ever Happens on Mars. He sends me chocolate chip cookies every Labor Day, or, as he likes to call it "Labour Day." LOL! Otis is quite a character.

badger
6/9/2008, 06:23 PM
:rolleyes: @ top dawg

thx for the correction, beano. looks like I won't be doin' any punchin' :D

Sooner_Havok
6/9/2008, 06:32 PM
All the scholarship athletes pretty much know the rules. Noah wouldn't ask for a ride to the walmarts. We couldn't make special trips for him, but if we were already planning on going, he could ride with us.

With the exception of a few bad apples in recent history, most of the guys don't want to do anything that could hurt them or their teammates.

TopDawg
6/9/2008, 08:03 PM
:rolleyes: @ top dawg

You're just jealous 'cuz my Thanksgivings are frackin' AWESOME!

"Hey, Otis, pass the yams."

Partial Qualifier
6/9/2008, 10:12 PM
Pass the Yams.

Oh, Dear Lord.

Big Red Ron
6/9/2008, 10:27 PM
I vote creepy

SoonerInLubbock
6/9/2008, 10:32 PM
I guess I'm one of those people who feel that the holidays need to be spent w family. When I was a younger man and first moved to OKC, I had no family to spend the holiday's with (mother in Washington State and father...well no need to even mention him).
Without exception, every year when the holiday's would come around. People would start giving me the invites to spend Turkey Day or Christmas with them. Now don't get me wrong I apprieciate the kind gesture. But the last place I wanted to spend my holiday with was some strange family in which I usually only knew one member. It just seemed so strange and let's be honest I felt like a charity case. I will take my chicken pot pie at home in front of the TV thank you very much.

Partial Qualifier
6/10/2008, 08:12 AM
so although creepy and pathetic, the dinner thing isn't breaking the rules? Thanks Beano.

Oh and it was Christmas and Easter. Supposedly. It's very strange but whatever.

sooneron
6/10/2008, 08:14 AM
My Mom is a prof at OU, we would occasionally have a student for a holiday meal. I think opening your doors to someone that can't be with family is what holidays are about.

TopDawg
6/10/2008, 09:24 AM
so although creepy and pathetic, the dinner thing isn't breaking the rules? Thanks Beano.

I don't think having non-family over for a holiday dinner, in and of itself, is creepy or pathetic. If your motive is to impress other people with the resulting stories, (which it sounds like is the case here) then I'd say that's in the realm of pathetic. If you're extending the invitation to include a holiday bath, then you're definitely in creepy territory.

Theskipster
6/10/2008, 09:41 AM
My Mom is a prof at OU, we would occasionally have a student for a holiday meal. I think opening your doors to someone that can't be with family is what holidays are about.

That's just like having Cale Gundy let a lineman come over for a holiday meal. Not weird or creepy at all.

This is about someone like James Hale taking a player home for the holidays. Really really creepy to me.

Partial Qualifier
6/10/2008, 09:42 AM
I don't think having non-family over for a holiday dinner, in and of itself, is creepy or pathetic. If your motive is to impress other people with the resulting stories, (which it sounds like is the case here) then I'd say that's in the realm of pathetic. If you're extending the invitation to include a holiday bath, then you're definitely in creepy territory.

That's just like having Cale Gundy let a lineman come over for a holiday meal. Not weird or creepy at all.

This is about someone like James Hale taking a player home for the holidays. Really really creepy to me.

nail on the head

badger
6/10/2008, 09:55 AM
I've heard of OU Cousins having their foreign student "cousin" over for Christmas or Thanksgiving so they can experience an American tradition, so yes, I agree, not creepy to have a guest over for a holiday.

What makes it creepy is aging fanatics talking about star athletes like they are their BFF (girl term for best friends forever) their strong relationship they have with a teenager-to-low-20s student-athlete.

Creepy for the following reasons...
1- Possible NCAA violations afoot, potential buster of No. 8 championship hopes, punch to the face deserving, etc.

2- Gold digging, posse joining, hanger oner... (cringing at the thought of repeating this but will anyway), dangerous jocksniffer person looking out for their own interests instead of the student-athlete's.

3- Liar liar? Aren't athletes kind of busy during the football season and would they really have time to mingle with a fan at his house during those holidays strategically placed close to bowl/conference games? Hmmm?

Yes, as Beano has stated, this is an exception to the NCAA's "no free lunch!" policies. However, odds are, with the state of our NCAA relationship being at a near-all-time low (all-time low was either Switzer or the Georgia/OU television time lawsuit, hehe, GO US!), I doubt Joe C. or Stooooooooops would take any chances, even if the booster/donor swears he has the best interest of the athletes in mind. Too risky, why chance it?

So again, I think your Jethro is lying, unless he has a long established relationship with the athletics department.

NormanPride
6/10/2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah, unless the guy's in with the coaches or has former ties to the program, mark this down as "Creepy".

Tulsa_Fireman
6/10/2008, 10:09 AM
I heard Robert Allen invited the OSU "offensive" line over for dinner.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h164/hornetscentralgm/robertallen.jpg

AS THE MAIN COURSE.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

piusbovis
6/10/2008, 12:31 PM
2- Gold digging, posse joining, hanger oner... (cringing at the thought of repeating this but will anyway), dangerous jocksniffer person looking out for their own interests instead of the student-athlete's.

"Hey uh, Sammy, why don't you and your friends bring over your jockstra-uniforms, and I'll wash them for you. I went and got some tide so the colors won't bleed!"

"Mr. Jethro, what are you doing in the laundry room for so long? The turkey's gonna get cold!"

"Smmthnnrnm."

Animal Mother
6/12/2008, 12:06 PM
Unless the athlete and booster are breaking NCAA rules, like most things in life, it's up to the individual and what the rest of us think is pony pucks.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/13/2008, 06:59 AM
A friend of mine was friends with an ex-player's high school teacher. Since this player didn't know anyone when he came to Oklahoma, my friend became his mentor. He would have family meals with her family and he would come speak to her students.

Over the years they all got really close. He ended up nring an usher in her wedding.

The player knew the rules though. He was always careful about accepting "gifts." For instance, he didn't have a suit when he needed one for some banquet, but they couldn't buy it for him.

Kels
6/13/2008, 02:33 PM
I've worked at OU for 10 years and have invited a number of students (athletes and nonathletes) to our home for a meal during the holidays. A lot of these kids can't go home that time of year, and it gets real lonely sitting in your apartment or dorm room eating a Salisbury Steak frozen dinner.

The truth is, most of these students miss their families and want to eat a home-cooked meal and be around some little kids. It reminds them of their own families. There's nothing creepy about opening up your home and showing hospitality to others. That's a part of being in the "OU family." Good grief, some of you people are way too paranoid.

TopDawg
6/13/2008, 03:30 PM
I've worked at OU for 10 years and have invited a number of students (athletes and nonathletes) to our home for a meal during the holidays. A lot of these kids can't go home that time of year, and it gets real lonely sitting in your apartment or dorm room eating a Salisbury Steak frozen dinner.

The truth is, most of these students miss their families and want to eat a home-cooked meal and be around some little kids. It reminds them of their own families. There's nothing creepy about opening up your home and showing hospitality to others. That's a part of being in the "OU family." Good grief, some of you people are way too paranoid.

JOCKSNIFFER!

;)

Kels
6/13/2008, 08:22 PM
JOCKSNIFFER!

;)

plain ol' nice people!

Big Red Ron
6/13/2008, 08:26 PM
plain ol' nice people!I don't trust 'em.

Kels
6/13/2008, 08:41 PM
I don't trust 'em.

Then I guess we won't see you at Thanksgiving . . . :D

Big Red Ron
6/13/2008, 08:50 PM
Then I guess we won't see you at Thanksgiving . . . :D
Nah, I stick with kin and I don't trust half of them either. ;)

Bone
6/13/2008, 09:17 PM
...only 920 posts to go, Bone ;)

KingBarry
6/14/2008, 04:22 AM

OK, I'll weigh in, and pad the slllooowwwlllyy growing post count, here.

If, as Kels, describes, you actually know or are at least acquainted with someone stranded and alone at the holidays, and you invite, them --NOT CREEPY AT ALL.

If you happen to open your home at holiday time to a number of lonely local college students, some of whom occasionally happen to be semi-famous athletes --NOT CREEPY

If you intentionally target football/basketball players at high-profile schools to get them to come to your private home, while basically excluding the Joe Schmoes who are just as lonely -- VERY CREEPY.

i think Charles Thompson has some fine descriptions of the types of adults who too often circulate among college athletes. I refer you to Thompson, Charles; Down and Dirty: The Life and Crimes of Oklahoma Football, circa late 1980s. I'd look for it on amazon.com.