PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, Bob! +- 4 to 6 more years....

soonerboy_odanorth
6/9/2008, 02:36 AM
With increasing frequency I keep hearing, " I don't need this, trust me, I don't!"

Well, I think there is one thing holding him. I think he wants to beat his former boss. I think he wants one more. And.... I think he has it in him the next 2 - 4 years (if not this year). But after that... *sigh*....

The one thing that sticks in my craw about that is.... Bob.... Did you need it when you were younger... not making the money you are now? Did you lust for that win each and every game then? I wonder....

Tough for us fans: In his first couple-three years I think he needed it! I think he wanted it more than anything. But he got it. Then, it became an exercise in maintaining excellence... which he has done.

Bob has been and will have been with us 10 years now... 6 shy of Bud and Barry.

But he won't get, and frankly doesn't owe us, three. I hope HE wants maybe one more.

And if he does, and we all get it.... well... that's purty darn good!

Go Bob!

Go OU!

Boomer Sooner!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
6/9/2008, 09:02 AM
must have been a long night for soonerboy

soonermix
6/9/2008, 09:21 AM
but he will need to win at least 2 more if he wants to be considerd great.
like you said maintain excellence. does bob want to be execllent or great.

NormanPride
6/9/2008, 09:57 AM
but he will need to win at least 2 more if he wants to be considerd great.
like you said maintain excellence. does bob want to be execllent or great.

Why? Bo Schembechler is considered great and he never even won one. At this point, if Stoops wins one more and coaches for another 6-8 years (while maintaining his current success) he goes down as one of the best in the history of the game.

bluedogok
6/9/2008, 10:25 AM
Didn't Barry say something like feeding monster is much harder than building the monster? At least Mack has said Barry told him something like that in the past. I think maintaining excellence is much harder than just getting to that level and it wears on those involved with the care and feeding. With the level of demands and other things involved for staffs now compared to 30 years I think we will not see many Paterno or Bowdens who stay at a place for 50 years, burnout just happens.

RedstickSooner
6/9/2008, 10:38 AM
Didn't Barry say something like feeding monster is much harder than building the monster? At least Mack has said Barry told him something like that in the past. I think maintaining excellence is much harder than just getting to that level and it wears on those involved with the care and feeding. With the level of demands and other things involved for staffs now compared to 30 years I think we will not see many Paterno or Bowdens who stay at a place for 50 years, burnout just happens.

Not only is the job harder, it also pays *much* better today.

If Bob steps away from the game tomorrow, he retires a rich man. (Er, okay, maybe not tomorrow -- we may have some penalty clauses in his contract which'd make leaving us in the lurch that way sorta expensive. But you dig what I'm saying. Maybe.)

That being the case, I can't imagine coaching after the point when it's fun... And I can't imagine it staying fun for all that long. Once you get to a certain quantity of millions, why would you need more?

LoyalFan
6/9/2008, 11:46 AM
must have been a long night for soonerboy

Somewhere in the dark...a dog barked.

LF

soonersalesman
6/9/2008, 12:07 PM
I live in Denton and other then reading this forum and maybe getting the Animal on radio from time to time I don't get the daily reports as if I lived in OKC or Norman (where I lived in both at one time).

So in what recent event or statement should we believe that Stoops is leaving or tired of coaching. I mean the man is competitive as hell. Has started to bring in great recruiting classsed year in and year out, makes what ? $3 million a year? Norman is a great place to live (trust me on that, I love Denton, it ain't Norman though ). Saw his buddy from Florida get handed his rear when going to the pros. Sees what its like at other programs like Arizona.

What in all that mix would motivate a man, in what HAS to be considered a dream job, leave for a few harsh words from a few yahoos in media and a few seriously delusional fans. Remember what happened when a few morons allowed Barry to be ran off. I like Gibbs but those days were frustrating and the years after were simply worse. Barry took his money. Had a few drinks.
Took the call from Jerry Jones and won himself a Superbowl. A few years later those that ran Barry off were looking mighty stupid.

In today's football parity we're damn lucky to have Bob Stoops. One of the best coaches in football. He's also darn lucky to be at Oklahoma where football is loved with a rabid intensity and they'll do whatever it takes to win.

Is Tressel getting ready to leave because he gets razzed by a few OSU fans for losing two national championships ? Anyone know what "BOHICA" means?

About the only coach we MIGHT place above Stoops is Pete Carrol. I suspect USC is about to get a surprise from the NCAA. Even if they don't, Neuheisel will give Carrol a run for his money in recruiting southern California. I suspect
USC and Carroll isn't going to look so rosey to the media over the next decade.

We're darn lucky to have Stoops and he's darn lucky to be in the situation he's in being at the top of his profession and having the capability to recruit top players to one of the top programs in the country, play for conference titles, and compete for BCS championships. It simply doesn't get any better then that for a coach. It's a win-win for him AND the fans.

soonermix
6/9/2008, 12:24 PM
Why? Bo Schembechler is considered great and he never even won one. At this point, if Stoops wins one more and coaches for another 6-8 years (while maintaining his current success) he goes down as one of the best in the history of the game.

definitions of greatness will vary from person to person.
so i guess winning 1 championship defines greatness for you and that is ok
my definition of coaching greatness starts with 3 championships
- see Bud and Barry -

Collier11
6/9/2008, 01:03 PM
I think he is referencing in general that his life doesnt revolve around football, he has a great family. He loves the game and wants to win every game, when he loses he just doesnt beat himself or his team up publicly so some of you think he is losing his fire or will to win. He doesnt need to be in the office 20 hrs a day or hate himself cus he is 1-2 in natl title games. He isnt leaving anytime soon IMO

soonerfan28
6/9/2008, 01:12 PM
I heard an interview with Venables last Friday and he said the difference between working for Stoops and Bill Snyder is that Bob is more about family and spending time with family. I would have to think that with any job you have that if you put 15 to 20 hours a day in for many many years that you could get burned out on it. I think Bob and the OU staff keep it pretty balanced with keeping it about family and not just football. I've seen many recruits talk about the family atmosphere at OU and how important they make it and how important that is. I hope we can keep this guy another 10 years with a few more national titles.

oudivesherpa
6/9/2008, 07:10 PM
It all depends on what motivatives one, if it's money Bob will be gone soon. If it's qualiity of life then I'll think he be around for at least another 5 years.

The only bad thing about Oklahoma is the State Income Tax--no one likes giving 6% to the State so you can drive on poor roads and have an average secondary school system.

soonerfan28
6/10/2008, 09:15 AM
I don't think Bob is hurting for money. I know that Jerry Jones could pay him much more, but he's getting the best of both worlds. He's getting to coach at a great program and he's making some money at the same time.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/10/2008, 10:12 AM
About the only coach we MIGHT place above Stoops is Pete Carrol.

You're next in line for midget nard punching.

bluedogok
6/10/2008, 10:48 PM
It all depends on what motivatives one, if it's money Bob will be gone soon. If it's qualiity of life then I'll think he be around for at least another 5 years.

The only bad thing about Oklahoma is the State Income Tax--no one likes giving 6% to the State so you can drive on poor roads and have an average secondary school system.
Well, his property taxes are a fraction of what they would be down here...they ALL get what they think is THEIR money, they just use different ways of skinning the cat....and there are bad roads in every state, evidence all the chip seal crap down here.

Big Red Ron
6/10/2008, 10:59 PM
I honestly believe we'll be fine post Stoops. The only reason we started the skid in the 90's was some knucklehead's on the team and the probation.

If Gary Gibbs would have taken over without the PR nightmare and scholorship limits I don't think we'd have dropped much at all.

stoopified
6/12/2008, 10:50 AM
With increasing frequency I keep hearing, " I don't need this, trust me, I don't!"

Well, I think there is one thing holding him. I think he wants to beat his former boss. I think he wants one more. And.... I think he has it in him the next 2 - 4 years (if not this year). But after that... *sigh*....

The one thing that sticks in my craw about that is.... Bob.... Did you need it when you were younger... not making the money you are now? Did you lust for that win each and every game then? I wonder....

Tough for us fans: In his first couple-three years I think he needed it! I think he wanted it more than anything. But he got it. Then, it became an exercise in maintaining excellence... which he has done.

Bob has been and will have been with us 10 years now... 6 shy of Bud and Barry.

But he won't get, and frankly doesn't owe us, three. I hope HE wants maybe one more.

And if he does, and we all get it.... well... that's purty darn good!

Go Bob!

Go OU!

Boomer Sooner!!!Not to nitpick BUT Bud coached 17 years(1947-1963).

I've always said that IF Bob stayed long enough to pass Bennie Owen(122-54-16) he would saty long enough to pass Bud (145-29-4) and Barry(157-29-4).He now has Bennie square in the crosshairs,trailing by 25 games.I also think the NFL is the only job that can lure Bob away and I think that won't happen untill his kids are out of highschool IMHO.I believe his youngest(the twins,Isaac and Drake) are around eleven now.

KingBarry
6/16/2008, 01:30 AM
I honestly believe we'll be fine post Stoops. The only reason we started the skid in the 90's was some knucklehead's on the team and the probation.

If Gary Gibbs would have taken over without the PR nightmare and scholorship limits I don't think we'd have dropped much at all.

I hear you. I don't think Coach Gibbs was really ready to be head coach, but he wasn't far off, either. If he had taken over a relatively healthy Sooner program, taken the reigns in the early spring instead of mid-summer, hadn't lost so many players who didn't want to stay in a probation ridden program, I can't help but think his tenure would have been much more successful.

I think his time at OU wouldn't have lasted much longer, but his record would have looked more like the Frank Solich record at Nebraska -- a few big wins, some good bowls, but not quite the legend he replaced.

Of course, we could have made a better decision in replacing him, but I'll leave that alone for now.

One more thought -- how many of you would like to see Gibbs get another shot at head coaching? I think he'd be a fine one nowadays, and maybe has a better personality for NFL businessmen than for college kids. For me, I'd love to see him get some success as the big boss now.