PDA

View Full Version : Jim McKay

stoops the eternal pimp
6/7/2008, 10:04 PM
His passing away today made me think back to being a kid and watching WWOS on Saturday afternoon. I always loved to hear the guy and would sometimes watch whatever sport he was working just to listen to him tell the story behind the participants or giving his take.

I remember as a kid watching horse racing not because I cared at all about it but because he was the man calling the action. He was so much different than the guys who work sports today, most of whom I could care less about.

I looked forward to watching that ski accident in the intro and would cringe everytime I saw it. Even today watching the replays of it, I still had about the same reaction.

Whether it was a Harlem Globetrotters game, demolition derby, cliff diving, lumberjack sporting events, or something like the Olympics, he brought a certain dignity to things that nobody else could...

Probably not a big deal to most, but I honestly felt like a childhood hero passed away..

StoopTroup
6/7/2008, 10:06 PM
My Cousin was his cameraman for awhile during the Wide World of Sports Era.

Curly Bill
6/8/2008, 12:40 AM
Jim McKay was the real deal. He had a bearing and a class about him that some of these talking heads today would do well to try and emulate.

King Crimson
6/8/2008, 05:46 AM
rip Jim.

VeeJay
6/8/2008, 06:27 AM
The thrill of victory...the agony of defeat. While that dramatic music played as the skiier augered in - great stuff.

Sort of puts Marv Albert in perspective.

King Crimson
6/8/2008, 06:52 AM
The thrill of victory...the agony of defeat. While that dramatic music played as the skiier augered in - great stuff.

Sort of puts Marv Albert in pumps, lipstick, and a push up bra.

FTFY.

BudSooner
6/8/2008, 07:44 AM
His passing away today made me think back to being a kid and watching WWOS on Saturday afternoon. I always loved to hear the guy and would sometimes watch whatever sport he was working just to listen to him tell the story behind the participants or giving his take.

I remember as a kid watching horse racing not because I cared at all about it but because he was the man calling the action. He was so much different than the guys who work sports today, most of whom I could care less about.

I looked forward to watching that ski accident in the intro and would cringe everytime I saw it. Even today watching the replays of it, I still had about the same reaction.

Whether it was a Harlem Globetrotters game, demolition derby, cliff diving, lumberjack sporting events, or something like the Olympics, he brought a certain dignity to things that nobody else could...

Probably not a big deal to most, but I honestly felt like a childhood hero passed away..

I agree, the man could take midget wrestling and make it sound like something respectable.
Though I was a bit young to remember it, his handling of the Munich shootings was by far the defining moment of his career.
The broadcast crew at ABC including EVERYONE there, Fox Sports(though I kinda like Aikman as a color guy on Sundays)ESPN's motley crew,and half the NBC broadcast crew-the John Madden half....can't measure up to how McKay handled calling the action for no matter what the event was.

Horseshoes or horseracing....Jim you were the best, RIP sir.

badger
6/8/2008, 09:06 AM
Not to be confused with Brad McRae :rolleyes: