PDA

View Full Version : Ced "Busted" Benson at it again...

bringit
6/7/2008, 09:10 AM
http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2008/06/07/chicago_bears_running_back_ced.html

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2008, 09:30 AM
Wow. Can't he afford a cab?

Seriously, horn or not, how can anyone be this ****ing stupid?

insuranceman_22
6/7/2008, 09:34 AM
It's all about tradition.
Oklahoma - winning championships
Texas - weed & booze
(ok it was a cheap shot, but he is a rep. of the whorens)

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2008, 09:35 AM
At least he took the mug shot seriously:

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/shared-blogs/austin/blotter/upload/2008/06/chicago_bears_running_back_ced/Benson%2C%20Cedric%20Myron%20%2812-28-82%29.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
6/7/2008, 09:36 AM
Seriously, horn or not, how can anyone be this ****ing stupid?

Uhh, he's a whorn.:texan:

Harry Beanbag
6/7/2008, 09:36 AM
The Bears are going to cut his worthless ***.

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2008, 09:39 AM
Least I got a sweet new avvie out of it.

colleyvillesooner
6/7/2008, 09:40 AM
Uhh, he's a whorn.:texan:

oh yeah. :D

bluedogok
6/7/2008, 09:49 AM
The Bears are going to cut his worthless ***.
They should, they also should never have drafted him in the first round, he was a fifth rounder at best. It seems that scouts and draftniks were fooled by his massive number of yards piled up against the North Texas and Rice's of the world. I think most of us who saw him struggle against good teams had a hunch that he would amount to nothing in the NFL. He failed in pro baseball and he is failing in football. At least Ricky Williams did gain yards before he started doing stupid stuff, which hasn't included getting busted over and over.

fadada1
6/7/2008, 10:07 AM
TARD!!!!

Scott D
6/7/2008, 10:29 AM
better yet, Ricky has been able to get yards after doing stupid stuff. Clearly the apple fell far away from the tree.

swardboy
6/7/2008, 12:17 PM
“There was alcohol involved, that’s all we know,” Bears general manager Jerry Angelo told the Chicago Tribune today. “We are certainly going to take this seriously. Disappointment is too often-used word when talking about Cedric. The No. 1 lesson of every player is protect your job.”

BWAHAHAHAHA

bstuff1979
6/7/2008, 12:27 PM
As patently stupid as some of the Lions draft/front office moves have been in the past, the Bears (over the past 3 years) have grasped the torched passed on to them by Matt Millen. Not only do they cut their best running-back, they keep Benson when they could have traded Briggs to Washington and picked up another, better, Adrian Peterson. Then, they draft a tight-end. A good pick, but it also signaled that they had no interest in anything other than continuing the delusional task of starting Grossman. Stupid is contagious, and I blame the slow downfall of the Bears on Cedric Benson and texas.

bringit
6/7/2008, 06:13 PM
Rashaan Salaam revisited.

Kid has screwed up his life.

Breadburner
6/7/2008, 06:27 PM
As patently stupid as some of the Lions draft/front office moves have been in the past, the Bears (over the past 3 years) have grasped the torched passed on to them by Matt Millen. Not only do they cut their best running-back, they keep Benson when they could have traded Briggs to Washington and picked up another, better, Adrian Peterson. Then, they draft a tight-end. A good pick, but it also signaled that they had no interest in anything other than continuing the delusional task of starting Grossman. Stupid is contagious, and I blame the slow downfall of the Bears on Cedric Benson and texas.

How bout re-signing Grossman.......

bringit
6/7/2008, 06:31 PM
From the Chicago Tribune:

"Lord knows he couldn't out run them" :0

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/chicago-tribune/TQ82HR4FRJA9CRUNI

bringit
6/7/2008, 06:37 PM
[QUOTE=bringit;2311707]From the Chicago Tribune:

"Perhaps this now explains why he can only run two yard and then falls over"

tulsaoilerfan
6/8/2008, 11:41 AM
How long till the NFL cops come into the picture? Surely he will get some sort of suspension or at least have to enter alcohol treatment

tulsaoilerfan
6/8/2008, 11:42 AM
NFL, take note: DO NOT draft a RB from Texas, EVAR!!

bluedogok
6/8/2008, 12:02 PM
Well, to be fair, DON'T draft one so high, at least wait until the fifth round so you don't have unreal expectations of them.

Paperclip
6/8/2008, 12:45 PM

Well, despite Ricky and Ced they've still had Earl Campbell, Eric Metcalf and Priest Holmes.

tulsaoilerfan
6/8/2008, 02:58 PM
Well, despite Ricky and Ced they've still had Earl Campbell, Eric Metcalf and Priest Holmes.

Earl Campbell i will give u, but i'm not sure Priest was drafted, and i never thought Metcalf came close to living up to his hype; for the most part UT RB's have been busts in the NFL

bluedogok
6/8/2008, 03:53 PM
Earl was on the news last night commenting about Ced, saying he should be ashamed and needs to grow up.

Even one of the local Whorn kneepad wearing writers thinks they should dump him.

Statesman.com - COMMENTARY: KIRK BOHLS - Bears should cut ties with Benson (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/sports/stories/other/06/08/0608bohls.html)
Too many off-the-field problems, too little on-the-field contributions.

By Kirk Bohls
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, June 08, 2008

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me three times, the Chinese proverb goes, and I'm the Chicago Bears.

But not quite as foolish as Cedric Benson, who obviously learned his lesson after being arrested on charges of boating while intoxicated in early May and hasn't been arrested for a similar offense on water again a single time. Not once.

He has, however, been arrested recently on a drunken driving charge. Say, like, in the wee hours of Saturday morning between 3 and 4, when he was obviously training for the upcoming season in his own unorthodox way.

He was pulled over in downtown Austin, trying to show the Bears once more that he cannot be stopped by anyone or anything, except a police officer, of course.

We salute Benson for his newfound self-discipline. After all, there hasn't been a single instance of his being arrested for jogging while intoxicated or playing pingpong while intoxicated. So let's give him his due. Of course, now that he's been arrested on land and on sea, here's hoping he doesn't take up skydiving any time soon.

However, inasmuch as the Bears wanted to believe Benson's pleas that he didn't resist arrest while on his 30-foot boat on Lake Travis last month and that pepper spray shouldn't have been used to subdue him, the former Texas running back is making it extremely hard to side with him. And when do Benson's offseason activities attract the interest of Roger Goodell?

Me, I'd dump him. Move him, trade him, cut him, waive him to the Tampa Bay Rays or the mixed martial arts league or af2, whatever. But he wouldn't be on my roster any longer if, one month after an arrest, however dubious the circumstances, he put himself in position to be arrested again for anything. Even jaywalking.

Supposedly, Benson was celebrating his mother's birthday when he was pulled over in his BMW and arrested on suspicion of drunken driving. He then refused a Breathalyzer and a blood test, police said. No word on whether a common-sense test was offered.

Maybe Terry Bradshaw couldn't spell cat after being spotted the first two letters. If this latest arrest has any merit, we now must presume Benson can't spell C-A-B. At this rate, he may soon learn how to spell U-N-E-M-P-L-O-Y-E-D.

To confess, this writer has always had a soft spot for the Longhorns' second all-time rusher. He was a rugged back who always wanted the ball. He spoke from the heart even when his mind protested. He was a standup guy. I liked him and still do.

But enough's enough. Even if Benson is innocent of both of these charges — and the boating incident sure looked trumped up from here — the Bears now have to come to grips with his behavior and that he is not reliable. They can't count on him on or off the field.

Count this corner among those who vastly over-rated Benson's talents. Since the Bears picked him in the first round in 2005, he has totaled only 1,593 yards and alienated at least twice that many Chicagoans with his arrogance and lack of production. He's not the violent, big back that Marion Barber III is, and he doesn't have take-it-the-distance speed — witness his 3.4 yards per carry while sober and his scant three carries for longer than 20 yards last year.

Sure, the Bears have no proven heir apparent to Benson, unless you think Tulane rookie Matt Forte is the next Gale Sayers.

How much would Chicago lose if it did waive Benson? With him, the Bears ranked a lowly 30th in the league in rushing and scored just eight touchdowns on the ground. The Vikings had 22. Only the Lions and Chiefs were less productive rushing teams.

Chances are, the Bears would get little back in trade value for Benson — maybe nothing higher than a conditional draft pick. Perhaps they could swap him for Jason Taylor, who wants to play just one more season, but the Dolphins probably have their one troubled, former Longhorn running back and don't want another.

Chicago should seriously look into working a deal for expendable Raiders running back Lamont Jordan or signing former league MVP Shaun Alexander, who was cut by the Seahawks after two injury-filled, unproductive seasons and may have something left even though the Bengals and Saints have passed.

Jordan, 29, has been courted by the Broncos and has a lot of mileage left in him. He is a power back who can catch passes, as well as run over people.

Of course, one should also consider that, given Chicago's turmoil at linebacker and lack of a solid quarterback, it's going nowhere fast. Kind of like Benson's career, unfortunately.

footballfanatic
6/9/2008, 12:50 PM
Most Longhorn fans in Austin feel Cedric is his own worst enemy. He has lost whatever support he still had following the boating incident. His best hope is to get out of Chicago and get a fresh start. Anybody who drives drunk deserves whatever happens to them.

Scott D
6/9/2008, 12:54 PM
Most Longhorn fans in Austin feel Cedric is his own worst enemy. He has lost whatever support he still had following the boating incident. His best hope is to get out of Chicago and get a fresh start. Anybody who drives drunk deserves whatever happens to them.

I disagree. The fact that Leonard Little has had any sort of NFL career is proof that anyone who drives drunk (and just happens to kill someone) doesn't deserve whatever happens to them. Most of them deserve a lot worse.

bluedogok
6/9/2008, 01:15 PM
Well, to be fair, many here were unsure as to how true the charges were involving the LCRA security guards, they are not known for being very sharp. Anyone who has has dealings with them know they are infected with a "good ol' boy" mentality and actions. So I think many were taking a wait and see attitude. Well, that attitude changed after his latest incident. It may have made a circumstantial case in the LCRA incident a stronger case, that is due to his own stupidity. He has become his own worst enemy and I agree with Bohls, it's time for the Bears to cut their losses. Odds are they aren't going to do much this year with or without him.

Flagstaffsooner
6/9/2008, 01:23 PM
Maybe Terry Bradshaw couldn't spell cat after being spotted the first two letters.That's funny stuff.

JohnnyMack
6/9/2008, 04:42 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/25066499/

Benson released by Bears

bringit
6/9/2008, 06:38 PM
maybe the Cowboys will pick him up as a backup.

boomrsoonr
6/9/2008, 07:01 PM
The pedestrian didn't have a TV on them, did they?

Charla
6/9/2008, 07:11 PM
maybe the Cowboys will pick him up as a backup.

I don't want people like him to rub off on Pacman

badger
6/9/2008, 07:21 PM
He tried to shave his dreds to distance himself from Ricky after all the problems Ricky had with drugs and such. Turns out, Ced wasn't too different from his idol as far as off-field issues. On field... well, one has a Heisman and used to have a rushing record. The other sucks :D

tulsaoilerfan
6/9/2008, 08:15 PM
Wonder who will pick him up? U know someone will give him another chance

SoonerInLubbock
6/9/2008, 10:52 PM
LOL!!! he looks like he's drunk or high in the pic, just look at his eye's.

Big Red Ron
6/9/2008, 11:11 PM
From the Chicago Tribune:

"Lord knows he couldn't out run them" :0

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/chicago-tribune/TQ82HR4FRJA9CRUNI
One thing is for sure, he picks up more DUI arrest than he does yardage on the field. Fire his blank-a-dee, blank-a-dee butt. :D

Big Red Ron
6/9/2008, 11:28 PM
Most Longhorn fans in Austin feel Cedric is his own worst enemy. He has lost whatever support he still had following the boating incident. His best hope is to get out of Chicago and get a fresh start. Anybody who drives drunk deserves whatever happens to them.Fresh start??? That 1,500 yards, 3 ypc and 10 TD's in three seasons doesn't lend itself to many fresh starts.

I guess he could make a practice squad or maybe play in Canada.

sooneron
6/10/2008, 08:11 AM
He should have been waived just for being so sucky.

Jamaal Charles, you are now on the clock.
:pop:

BillyBall
6/10/2008, 08:25 AM
The Bears have done a great job of drafting running backs in the first round recently: Rashaan Salaam, Curtis Enis, Cedric Benson.

Drafting busts at the position is becoming routine.

TexasLidig8r
6/10/2008, 08:29 AM
He should have been waived just for being so sucky.

Jamaal Charles, you are now on the clock.

Actually.. Selvin Young is the starting running back at the Denver Broncos now.

sooneron
6/10/2008, 08:35 AM

Which one was the higher pick?

I'll put whoever on the clock, if you like.

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 09:09 AM
So I can't post a new topic because of all the negative feedback I got for being a Democrat, but I wanted to bring something to the attention to this board.
I live in the DFW area for 5 years. I am an OU grad and a Dallas Cowboys fan. If you have followed the news in the DFW area lately you have noticed that the DFW media is
trying to run TRRW out of town. He made some comment about the media brainwashing the fans and now they write at least an article a week attacking him. They write columns and articles about him when there isn't even news about him. He can't personaly say anything or they will come after him more. Galloway himself has even admited that they can run an athlete out of town if the media wants. The three biggest offenders for the Roy attack are Jennifer Floyd-Engle jenfloyd@ star-telegram.com, Randy Galloway, [email protected], and Gil Lebreton, [email protected]. I think as OU fans, owe it to Roy to keep an eye on their articles and attach them as much as possible through email. I know you may not be a Cowboys fan, but these people don't need to get away with it.

Here is excerpt of Jennifer's latest column. ""I think somewhere in my future I am going to play safety," Henry told me recently. "And if I did move, I would be OK."

The "if" seems almost unnecessary. The feeling at Valley Ranch is that the team can no longer pretend with Roy "Bambi" Williams, not in dime, not in nickel, maybe not at all."

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/columnists/jennifer_floyd_engel/index.html

Please feel free to email them and call in their Radio shows. They won't stop until the Cowboys cut TRRW.

Please move this to its own thread if you can. Also I need some positive Feedback. I am not trying to a Troll and I am an OU Fan.

Taxman71
6/10/2008, 09:49 AM
Sending emails, etc. would only result in more anti-TRRW articles. They are trying to garner readers during the offseason and this attack appears to be doing the trick. Better off completely ignoring them so they move on to the next negative story.

soonerinabilene
6/10/2008, 09:54 AM
So I can't post a new topic because of all the negative feedback I got for being a Democrat,

You cant post a new thread because you dont have enough posts, not because you got a ton of negspek.

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 10:03 AM
Sending emails, etc. would only result in more anti-TRRW articles. They are trying to garner readers during the offseason and this attack appears to be doing the trick. Better off completely ignoring them so they move on to the next negative story.

You are right, but they aren't going to stop until he gets cut anyway. This not business for these guys, at this point its personal.

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 10:06 AM
You cant post a new thread because you dont have enough posts, not because you got a ton of negspek.

What is this magic number of posts? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ.

soonerinabilene
6/10/2008, 10:13 AM
What is this magic number of posts? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ.

I think its 100.

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 10:17 AM
I think its 100.

76 more to go

soonerboomer93
6/10/2008, 10:24 AM

that doesn't say much considering how my Broncs go through and us their RB's.

soonerboomer93
6/10/2008, 10:29 AM
I could be mistaken, but I thought TRRW wasn't completely happy with the defense they were using in dallas anyways?

Maybe it's better for him to be on a new team?

TexasLidig8r
6/10/2008, 11:04 AM
You are right, but they aren't going to stop until he gets cut anyway. This not business for these guys, at this point its personal.

Do not naively think that Jerry does anything for "personal" reasons. He worships at the altar of the almighty dollar and doesn't take a dump unless he can get some publicity or money out of it.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/10/2008, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't exactly break my heart to see TRRW swingin' a hammer in the deep thirds with Atari Bigby.

500 yards passing and minus three wide receivers a game.

BLAM.

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 11:10 AM
Do not naively think that Jerry does anything for "personal" reasons. He worships at the altar of the almighty dollar and doesn't take a dump unless he can get some publicity or money out of it.

This has nothing to do with Jerry. It personal between Roy and Jen INgle, Randy Galloway, etc...DFW media. They are after Roy because he accused them of being unfair about 2 years ago. They have not yet relented.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/10/2008, 11:13 AM
I accuse the last few posts in this thread of being unfair to the Cedric Benson Celebrity Reputation Bash and Hot Tub Extravaganza.

Just 75 more to go, grasshopper.

badger
6/10/2008, 11:13 AM
We already have a thread on TRRW. I posted a picture and comments making fun of the dude pushing our Superman the wrong way. I also compared their resumes to find that this guy is a "Comeback Player of the Year" (whoop tee dooooooo!) whereas TRRW is a Pro Bowl regular and defensive powerhouse. Be sure to check out the picture of this idiot demonstrating what happens when he plays with matches :D

Oh, and Cedric Benson can come play for the Packers... NO YOU CAN'T! Go play for the Dolphins if you wanna be Ricky so much. Then, retire so you can become a weed therapist or whatever Ricky wanted to do after a premature retirement. Then, get sued for your signing bonus millions that you thought you could keep despite your premature retirement. Then, get banished to Canada for a season for smoking too much weed (or in your case, driving too much influence under the... drive.)

Finally, when all of the smoke settles, Mike Ditka will trade his entire draft for your rights... and get fired when you fail to meet expectations.
http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/6eb87ee0.jpg
"It's the cirrrrrrclllllle... the circle... of life!"

;)

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 11:15 AM
I kind of figured that the indifference about the Cowboys by a lot of OU fans would make them say. That is fine maybe my favorite team will get him. His reputation is permanently damaged by the media. He could have a good game and all the can say is "at least he didn't screw up", if anything that nice. I am a little biased being a Dallas fan and roy being my favorite player. I would hate to see him go.

Scott D
6/10/2008, 11:16 AM
I'd have to actually consider those writers to well, be any good to bother with writing them anything at all. The fact that you've brought them to my attention as existing is bad.

To be honest, I have a low opinion of Dallas Sportswriters/Radio talking heads since both Keith Gave and Gregg Henson were hired there after they were run out of town up here.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/10/2008, 11:16 AM
HOW DARE YOU OFFEND THE GREAT AND POWERFUL DITKA?

Scenario.

The Chinese Army versus...

A midget Mike Ditka.

How many days until the Red Chinese are completely destroyed?

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 11:17 AM
I know Roy makes the pro bowl..but the Dallas media is constantly call that a joke. Saying that he doesn't deserve it. Sorry about posting in the wrong thread.

Benson is a complete looser. Another product of the "pot" and party life of Austin Texas.... Half of the UT players leave that city with a serious weed habit.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/10/2008, 11:18 AM
73 and counting!

kramer9802
6/10/2008, 11:20 AM
so many unwritten rules, this must be what major league baseball is like. ---deleted negspek whine---

Scott D
6/10/2008, 11:21 AM
I know Roy makes the pro bowl..but the Dallas media is constantly call that a joke. Saying that he doesn't deserve it. Sorry about posting in the wrong thread.

Benson is a complete looser. Another product of the "pot" and party life of Austin Texas.... Half of the UT players leave that city with a serious weed habit.

I like you, you got spunk.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/10/2008, 11:31 AM
I'm allergic to spunk.

Not to mention the homosexual innuendo in all that...

bluedogok
6/10/2008, 10:55 PM
I could be mistaken, but I thought TRRW wasn't completely happy with the defense they were using in dallas anyways?

Maybe it's better for him to be on a new team?
I think new team would be the best thing for him. He was the face of the team when drafted because they had no one else, Quincy Carter? I think we know how that turned out. I think it heaped undue praise and pressure on him and then they put him in a system that doesn't maximize his skills. Just a bad fit now, at draft time it was a good fit but teams change.

Benson will get picked up by someone, probably mid-season after some injuries happen. They will need a warm body and hope he got straightened out.

Animal Mother
6/12/2008, 11:59 AM
Benson is, as my dad used to say, about as sharp as a stick of butter.

Too bad he didn't make the field as a freshman against OU. Maybe Roy could've pancaked him on the way to making the "Superman" play.

bringit
6/14/2008, 10:52 AM
unclaimed on waivers

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3441253

bluedogok
6/14/2008, 01:39 PM
That's not a shock....I bet someone will try to pick him up for around the minimum.

bluedogok
9/25/2008, 10:10 PM
This was just on the news here....

Statesman.com - Benson charges dropped (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2008/09/25/benson_charges.html)
By Suzanne Halliburton | Thursday, September 25, 2008, 05:07 PM

All alcohol-related charges were dropped Thursday against former Longhorn running back Cedric Benson after a decision by two Travis County grand juries.

The two grand juries returned “no bills” on three charges.

“This means that there was a finding by the grand juries that there was no probable cause to believe that Cedric Benson was guilty of a crime,” said Sam Bassett, Benson’s lawyer.

Travis County Attorney David Escamilla said both cases had “weaknesses.”

“The boating while intoxicating case lacked a field sobriety test,” Escamilla said. “The second one, in the video on the DWI, he appeared very good on the video.”

Benson lost his job with the Chicago Bears as a result of the two arrests, one in early May, the second coming in early June. He was a first-round draft pick of the Bears in 2005.

On May 3, Benson was charged with boating while intoxicated and with resisting arrest after an incident on Lake Travis. Five weeks later, Benson was charged with driving while intoxicated in downtown Austin.

Benson is the second-leading rusher in Longhorn history and started for Texas from 2001-04.

sooneron
9/25/2008, 10:12 PM
I'm. Shocked.

kevpks
9/26/2008, 01:35 AM
I'm. Shocked.

I'm not shocked they dropped the charges. He has already been sentenced to life as a Longhorn with no opportunity of parole. Anything more would be cruel and unusual.

tommieharris91
9/26/2008, 01:36 AM
He sucked as a RB anyway. This guy the Bears have now is better than he is.

ousooners182
9/26/2008, 02:49 AM
wow. i bet tommie harris wooped his *** in the locker room so he purposely did it to get out of there

ousooners182
9/26/2008, 02:50 AM
o and dusty

47straight
9/26/2008, 03:05 AM
Wow. I know of a prototypical longhorn ********* who just started in the county attorney's office working DUIs. He's the typical petty prick who blamed losing Darrell Scott on cheating branch bank owners.

Yeah. Must be nice to get no billed.

bluedogok
9/26/2008, 08:43 AM
I'm not shocked they dropped the charges.
I'm not, the LCRA police makes OUPD look like NYC's finest....APD isn't much better.