PDA

View Full Version : ISO disk question

OUDoc
6/6/2008, 01:36 PM
When I installed Ubuntu, I had to create an ISO disk in order for it to be a bootable disk. It took me a few times before I got it burned correctly.
What is an ISO disk? How is it any different than burning data to the disk?
I've been curious for a while and kept forgetting to ask.

OU4LIFE
6/6/2008, 01:43 PM
When I installed Ubuntu, I had to great an ISO disk in order for it to be a bootable disk. It took me a few times before I got it burned correctly.

I have no idea, and I have no idea how to great one.

OUDoc
6/6/2008, 01:45 PM
I have no idea, and I have no idea how to great one.

I'll give you a great one.

King Crimson
6/6/2008, 01:48 PM
i tried burning a ubuntu disc off the website and the disc wouldn't boot. it was frustrating but i'm not in a real hurry to experiment with it so i wasn't very persistant. it's down on the list of my summer projects so i requested a disk from Ubuntu thinking that would be an elegant solution to the problem . it came the other day along with some nifty ubuntu stickers (!). they said it would take 4-6 weeks but it was more like 2-3.

mdklatt
6/6/2008, 01:49 PM
What is an ISO disk?

It's in a universal format so it's cross-platform.

sooner_born_1960
6/6/2008, 02:22 PM
An ISO is a disk image, so to speak. When burning, you need to select "create disk from iso image" or some such option on your cd burning software. It is usually suggested that you burn at a slower rate.

OUDoc
6/6/2008, 02:43 PM
An ISO is a disk image, so to speak. When burning, you need to select "create disk from iso image" or some such option on your cd burning software. It is usually suggested that you burn at a slower rate.
So, instead of individual data, it burns it as one "image", basically? (Or not really)

OU4LIFE
6/6/2008, 02:47 PM
perhaps

sooner_born_1960
6/6/2008, 02:52 PM
So, instead of individual data, it burns it as one "image", basically? (Or not really)
basically.

OU4LIFE
6/6/2008, 03:02 PM
see, I told you.

OUDoc
6/6/2008, 03:13 PM
see, I told you.
Damn, you're good.

Czar Soonerov
6/6/2008, 03:17 PM
When I installed Ubuntu, I had to create an ISO disk in order for it to be a bootable disk. It took me a few times before I got it burned correctly.

http://www.pokerallstar.com/images/wsop-images/umberto-brenes-1.jpg

Ubuntu!!!

mdklatt
6/6/2008, 03:18 PM

Yes, that's the "image" part. Think of the difference between photocopying a sheet of paper or typing it out by hand. The "ISO" part is the format of the resulting CD.

yermom
6/7/2008, 03:56 AM
it's an image, so it copies the boot sector, etc...

if you were to just drag files and make a copy, you wouldn't get that and it wouldn't boot