PDA

View Full Version : Not that this is a revelation or anything

Frozen Sooner
6/6/2008, 11:56 AM
But dang the Beatles were amazing.

I've got Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album and Magical Mystery Tour in constant rotation right now.

Bone
6/6/2008, 12:02 PM

I've got Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album and Magical Mystery Tour in constant rotation right now.

meh

Flagstaffsooner
6/6/2008, 12:03 PM
Glad you yung-uns realize that. Ive known it for about 45 years.;)

Frozen Sooner
6/6/2008, 12:08 PM
Heh.

You know, when I was in my early 20s, I really could have taken or left the Beatles. Now that I'm in my early 30s, I'm really starting to appreciate how innovative a lot of their stuff was and how much their sound evolved from one album to the next.

Anymore you rarely find groups whose sound changes from album to album. I wonder how much of that is driven by the record companies, who know that most consumers want "more of the same."

frankensooner
6/6/2008, 12:24 PM
Anymore you rarely find groups whose sound changes from album to album. I wonder how much of that is driven by the record companies, who know that most consumers want "more of the same."

U2 ;) Every song sounds the same to me.

yermom
6/6/2008, 12:25 PM
no, U2 used to be cool ;)

Mjcpr
6/6/2008, 12:26 PM
I think you mean Revolution.

YWIA

King Crimson
6/6/2008, 12:28 PM
in 67 and 68 the Beatles put out 8 album sides and half dozen unincorporated singles. it would take U2 12-15 years to put out that much product. the Beatles did it in 2.

frankensooner
6/6/2008, 12:31 PM
You people don't understand me at all. I think every U2 song sounds the same.

The Beatles are by far the best rock band ever.

Curly Bill
6/6/2008, 12:31 PM
in 67 and 68 the Beatles put out 8 album sides and half dozen unincorporated singles. it would take U2 12-15 years to put out that much product. the Beatles did it in 2.

The Beatles were on performance-enhancing drugs though. In this new era of drug testing they could never repeat that.

Curly Bill
6/6/2008, 12:32 PM
You people don't understand me at all. I think every U2 sounds the same.

That would be the Rolling Stones!

...this could be a pole. ;)

frankensooner
6/6/2008, 12:33 PM
The Rolling Stones are the best three-chord rock band ever.

yermom
6/6/2008, 12:39 PM
i love the Stones, but they aren't the Beatles

Animal Mother
6/6/2008, 12:39 PM
The Beatles were on performance-enhancing drugs though. In this new era of drug testing they could never repeat that.

Funny sh!t dude. Bill Hicks would be proud!!!

Flagstaffsooner
6/6/2008, 12:56 PM
The Rolling Stones are the best three-chord rock band ever.Yup, best garage band evar.

DBrown
6/6/2008, 03:42 PM
Enjoy them AND LOTS MORE at....accuradio.com

stoopified
6/6/2008, 04:09 PM

I've got Revolver, Rubber Soul, White Album and Magical Mystery Tour in constant rotation right now.Dump THE WHITE ALBUM for Sgt Pepper and ROCK ON!

Scott D
6/6/2008, 04:11 PM
The Rolling Stones are the best three-chord rock band ever.

the Stones are the best Bo Diddley tribute band ever ;)

soonerboomer93
6/6/2008, 04:12 PM
heh, i actually just went today and bough sgt pepper (my old one got lost somehow)

Curly Bill
6/6/2008, 04:15 PM
pffft...all you guys just like the Beatles because you've heard you're supposed to. :P :D

Scott D
6/6/2008, 04:16 PM
The Beatles are the best Chuck Berry tribute band you ever heard of Curly Bill :)

Bone
6/6/2008, 04:35 PM
pffft...all you guys just like the Beatles because you've heard you're supposed to. :P :D

I think there is a lot of truth to that.

Frozen Sooner
6/6/2008, 04:49 PM
You don't like the Beatles. You don't like Pink Floyd. I think there's a lot of truth to the supposition that you have no idea what music is supposed to sound like.

Scott D
6/6/2008, 05:13 PM
You don't like the Beatles. You don't like Pink Floyd. I think there's a lot of truth to the supposition that you have no idea what music is supposed to sound like.

pfft, I don't mind the Beatles, and I think that every Pink Floyd is really just one 45 minute song composed by a producer with bad acid flashbacks.

And I heard it on good authority that Rush is nothing more than a Gordon Lightfoot/Anne Murray cover band ;)

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/6/2008, 06:23 PM
Mike, if you don't have Abbey Road, you should know it was their coupe de gras(sp?French?) However, it's just one of the sides that is their culmination side. The other is filler stuff, and a big letdown from the crescendo of the other side. They released 2 albums after Abbey Road, I think. one was a so-so record, by Beatles standards, called "Let It Be", and the other was a compilation of songs that had not yet been put on an album. I think the album was untitled, but some people call it "Hey Jude", as that song was on the album.

Frozen Sooner
6/6/2008, 06:36 PM
Yep, I have Abbey Road. In fact, listening to "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" right now.

The phrase you're looking for is coup de grace, though it doesn't really fit here, as it means the final blow to vanquish a helpless opponent.

6/6/2008, 06:41 PM
Yep, I have Abbey Road. In fact, listening to "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" right now.

The phrase you're looking for is coup de grace, though it doesn't really fit here, as it means the final blow to vanquish a helpless opponent.Try the OTHER side.:P

Frozen Sooner
6/6/2008, 07:37 PM
Heh. Side? What are you talking about, old timer? ;)

King Crimson
6/7/2008, 12:19 AM
Mike, if you don't have Abbey Road, you should know it was their coupe de gras(sp?French?) However, it's just one of the sides that is their culmination side. The other is filler stuff, and a big letdown from the crescendo of the other side. They released 2 albums after Abbey Road, I think. one was a so-so record, by Beatles standards, called "Let It Be", and the other was a compilation of songs that had not yet been put on an album. I think the album was untitled, but some people call it "Hey Jude", as that song was on the album.

hogwash. there's some great stuff on Let it Be. get back, two of us, i've got a feeling, dig it, let it be....it's all recorded live in the studio so it doesn't have the studio polish of Abbey Road or Peppers by design. and which side of AR are you saying is "filler"? the one that starts with Come Together?

Let it Be was actually recorded before Abbey Road, though it's release was delayed after AR was in the can.

Frozen Sooner
6/7/2008, 12:31 AM
I don't know how I've managed to not load the Beatles entire catalog into my iPod to date. That's being remedied right now.

6/7/2008, 12:45 AM
hogwash. there's some great stuff on Let it Be. get back, two of us, i've got a feeling, dig it, let it be....it's all recorded live in the studio so it doesn't have the studio polish of Abbey Road or Peppers by design. and which side of AR are you saying is "filler"? the one that starts with Come Together?

Let it Be was actually recorded before Abbey Road, though it's release was delayed after AR was in the can.Of the songs you mentioned from "Let It Be" our tastes are apparently a bit different, as "Two of Us" is the only one approaching the standards set by the other latter day Beatles albums, IMHO. Yes, the side of Abbey Road that starts with "Come Together" is the lesser side of that album, also IMHO.

Mike, I don't have the CD of Abbey Road, so I don't know if the songs are in the original order as on the vinyl 33LP. The original fabulous side started with "Here Comes the Sun", and ends with "Her Majesty"

King Crimson
6/7/2008, 12:47 AM
I don't know how I've managed to not load the Beatles entire catalog into my iPod to date. That's being remedied right now.

Help! is very underrated. some great songs. movie, not so great.

you should be sure get the (wtf is it called?), a compilation set that came out on CD in the late 80's....with all the unincorporated singles. let me look, and i'll come back and edit. there's some great stuff there.

edit: Past Masters, vol I and II. to me, especially vol 2. some killer stuff there.

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wifexql5ldae

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:3ifrxql5ldae

Frozen Sooner
6/7/2008, 01:10 AM
Got it.

Seemed to be the only place where the electric version of "Revolution" was available, along with some other stuff. I kind of like the version on the White Album with the walkin' blues chord progression.

Fraggle145
6/7/2008, 01:31 AM
"Have you seen the little piggies in the starched white shirts?"

Widescreen
6/7/2008, 01:56 AM
Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album. There is just so much good stuff on there, it's amazing. Let It Be could've been really good except Phil Specter got his smarmy hands all over it and Wall Of Sounded it to death. :mad:

King Crimson
6/7/2008, 01:57 AM
Of the songs you mentioned from "Let It Be" our tastes are apparently a bit different, as "Two of Us" is the only one approaching the standards set by the other latter day Beatles albums, IMHO. Yes, the side of Abbey Road that starts with "Come Together" is the lesser side of that album, also IMHO.

am i wrong in remembering that Martha My Dear is your fave song on the White Album?

MR2-Sooner86
6/7/2008, 06:27 AM

Agree. Although I will admit I don't like the Beatles before Sgt. Peppers but afterwards. I think that was a big leap and change for them once that album released.

AlbqSooner
6/7/2008, 06:50 AM
I think you mean Revolution.

YWIA

I think he means Revolver. Revolution was a Beatles song. Revolver was a Beatles album. Album was what they used to be called back in the Beatles day.;)

stoopified
6/7/2008, 08:13 AM
pffft...all you guys just like the Beatles because you've heard you're supposed to. :P :DNot so fast my friend.I grew up on the Beatles(born 1960).Every radio I heard as a small child was playing I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND,LOVE ME DO,CAN'T BUY ME LOVE.I watched the Beatles' Saturday morning cartoon:YELLOW SUBMARINE(didn't like it, too abstract for a 10 year old).Beatles rule!

Only someone too young to appreciate the BEATLES would utter such sacrilage.

KC//CRIMSON
6/7/2008, 10:37 AM

The Beatles were a "pop band" and one could argue they were the first successful "boy band."

The Rolling Stones on the other hand are a "rock band" and one of the greatest ever.

Scott D
6/7/2008, 10:43 AM
The Beatles were a "pop band" and one could argue they were the first successful "boy band."

The Rolling Stones on the other hand are a "rock band" and one of the greatest ever.

negative...they are a Bo Diddley "fanboi band" :D

King Crimson
6/7/2008, 10:50 AM

the Beatles were a rip off R&B band that morphed into way to reinvent songwriting and mass produced, mass consumed music altogether.

the Stones were great, one of the best ever. we've done this before but the stretch of Beggers, Exile, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers is just unreal. given the time period, that's great rock and roll music. i don't think anything really compares.

i don't see the need to compare the two. Beatles, more R&B ripoff. Stones, straight blues ripoff.

i think in the shorter time they were together, the Beatles evolved a lot more than the Stones in terms of "form" and what "pop" music could be. i don't include anything after Emotional Rescue as "evolution" or progress for the Stones. to me, it all ends with the de facto disco record "Some Girls". i like Emotional Rescue and Tatoo You...but Some Girls was the last and final great record they made.

Frozen Sooner
6/7/2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I've never gotten the Stones vs. Beatles argument. I like the Stones, too.

Scott D
6/7/2008, 11:44 AM
it's ok Mike, the Stones and Beatles never got the argument either, since they were friends. I think it's the traditional fan base a v. fan base b argument.

85Sooner
6/7/2008, 11:55 AM
You people don't understand me at all. I think every U2 song sounds the same.

That is all that needs to be said. Got the "love" cd in the car with the remixes. Totally amazing stuff. Totally mathematically perfect.

85Sooner
6/7/2008, 11:58 AM

I think until recently it was not availble on line however if you were fortunate to own the titles you should be ashamed that they were not the first listed:)

Frozen Sooner
6/7/2008, 12:01 PM
Still not available online. I already owned a few titles, but went out and completed my collection of the albums over the last few days.

6/7/2008, 12:22 PM
am i wrong in remembering that Martha My Dear is your fave song on the White Album?Are you agreeing that our tastes are different?:eek: Say it ain't so! BTW, what do you think of "Bungalow Bill"?

King Crimson
6/7/2008, 02:20 PM
Are you agreeing that our tastes are different?:eek: Say it ain't so! BTW, what do you think of "Bungalow Bill"?

Bungalow is a cartoonish song that parodies some asshat that came to study with the Maharishi when the Beatles did. like a lot of Beatles songs, it sounds like a children's song.

"when Captain Marvel zapped him right between the eyes.........ZZZZAPP."

it's still better than a song about a sheep dog.

6/7/2008, 04:25 PM
Bungalow is a cartoonish song that parodies some asshat that came to study with the Maharishi when the Beatles did. like a lot of Beatles songs, it sounds like a children's song.

"when Captain Marvel zapped him right between the eyes.........ZZZZAPP."

it's still better than a song about a sheep dog.So, now you DON'T like the Beatles?

King Crimson
6/7/2008, 04:36 PM
So, now you DON'T like the Beatles?

yeah, that's exactly what i'm saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0zG8GW7gN8&feature=related

6/7/2008, 05:13 PM
yeah, that's exactly what i'm saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0zG8GW7gN8&feature=relatedDaggone, you and yer monkey sure take the indirect route to make a point!

Widescreen
6/8/2008, 11:18 AM
Uh, no.

The only thing the Beatles had with modern boy bands is the screaming girls.

KC//CRIMSON
6/8/2008, 03:12 PM
Uh, no.

The only thing the Beatles had with modern boy bands is catchy pop tunes, airplay on top 40 radio stations, millions of dollars, and the screaming girls.

;-0