PDA

View Full Version : Former OU coach passes away

Jay C. Upchurch
6/5/2008, 11:22 PM
NORMAN -- Burl Andrew Plunkett (1933-2008), who preceded Sherri Coale as the head women’s basketball coach at the University of Oklahoma, died Thursday, June 5, at the age of 75.

Plunkett coached three seasons (1993-94 through 1995-96) at Oklahoma, obtaining a career record of 52-36 (.591). Plunkett’s 1994 squad captured the National Women’s Invitational Tournament championship and his 1995 team was just the second at the time to make an NCAA Tournament appearance.

Plunkett’s basketball career saw the legendary coach claim over 1,000 victories in a variety of levels over his 40-year career. The former All-American at Centenary College (Shreveport, La.) began his career as the junior varsity coach at his college alma mater. In 1962 he returned to his hometown and was the boys’ and girls’ head coach at Valliant (Okla.) High School for three seasons. Plunkett then coached the teams at Tuloso-Midway (Corpus Christi, Texas) High School (1966-71), Byng-Ada High School (1971-79) and Idabel High School (1980-90) before accepting the head coaching position at OU.

Having engineered 35 district championships, 16 state tournament qualifiers and three girls’ state championships, while coaching 21 all-state honorees, Plunkett was honored several times in his career. In 1985 he was named the Oklahoma boys’ coach of the year and earned the girls’ coach of the year honor the following season. In 1970, Plunkett was selected to coach in the Oklahoma-Texas Girls All-State Game. Plunkett was enshrined into Valliant High School’s Alumni Hall of Fame in 1997.

As a player, Plunkett earned all-state honors at Valliant his senior season in 1951 and held the state’s scoring record for 28 years. After earning his associates degree in physical education from Tyler (Texas) Junior College, Plunkett averaged 17.9 points in two seasons at Centenary, where he was named a Helms Foundation All-American in 1954.

Plunkett is survived by his son Gil and Gil’s wife Juneiva and one granddaughter.

Funeral arrangements are being conducted Huckleberry Funeral Home in Valliant. Services will begin at 2 p.m. Sunday, June 8, at the Valliant High School Auditorium.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Statement from OU head women’s basketball coach Sherri Coale:

“Coach Plunkett left an indelible mark on the sport of women's basketball in the state of Oklahoma. His accolades and records speak for themselves in terms of his prowess as a basketball coach, but he was truly beloved by his players. Coach Plunkett's success at both the high school and the collegiate level helped lay the foundation that enables us to experience the brand of basketball this state currently enjoys.”

OU SID Report

AllAboutThe'O'
6/6/2008, 12:10 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Plunkett returned to Valliant to coach the girls team a few years ago.

While Sherri will get a lot of credit (and deservedly so) for bringing a new appreciation for women's basketball at OU and the state of Oklahoma, coach Plunkett deserves some credit as well for helping bring the Sooner women's program back to respectability after the infamous "shutdown" in 1990.

RIP to a legendary coach at all levels.

John Kochtoston
6/6/2008, 01:24 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Plunkett returned to Valliant to coach the girls team a few years ago.

While Sherri will get a lot of credit (and deservedly so) for bringing a new appreciation for women's basketball at OU and the state of Oklahoma, coach Plunkett deserves some credit as well for helping bring the Sooner women's program back to respectability after the infamous "shutdown" in 1990.

RIP to a legendary coach at all levels.

^^^^
Beat me to it. Best wishes to Coach Plunkett's family.

stoopified
6/6/2008, 08:55 AM
Sad news.I recall being thrilled by his NIT Title team and his NCAA team.I also remember him resigning and OU hired a pregnant coach of the Norman high school girls team to replace him.What the heck were they THINKING?! :)
RIP Burl,you will be missed.

Mixer!
6/6/2008, 02:08 PM
Prayers to Coach Plunkett's family.

okieslp
6/22/2008, 04:31 PM
I think that we can all agree that any coach who can be that successful at multiple levels will be considered "great." To a man who loved the game and gave his heart and soul to it, there is no more rewarding praise than to have people continue to talk about you, even after you're gone. Much Love Coach!