PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Stadium...where to sit

Taxman71
6/5/2008, 01:17 PM
Going to a Yankees game next month and need to know the best place to sit. It is a 1:00 game, so getting some shade is a major plus. Any expert advice is appreciated.

Bone
6/5/2008, 01:24 PM
I'd say in a room with a TV and a comfortable chair. That way you can just fall asleep instead.

Taxman71
6/5/2008, 01:28 PM
If the game gets boring, I will pull an Elaine Benes and pull out an Orioles hat.

Scott D
6/5/2008, 01:53 PM
I'd say a bar, why sit in that rust bucket that shoulda been demolished in the 80s?

r5TPsooner
6/5/2008, 02:04 PM
I'd say a bar, why sit in that rust bucket that shoulda been demolished in the 80s?

Because that rust bucket as you call it has more great memories than just about all professional sports facilities combined. Not to mention the talent and history that has graced the facility in its lifetime.

To answer your question, there isn't a bad seat in the house except down the right and left field foul lines up aways. Some slight obstruction lies in those areas. Make sure to take the tour if you can, a must for any Yankee fan or baseball purist who like the history of the game.

Newbomb Turk
6/5/2008, 02:11 PM
Because that rust bucket as you call it has more great memories than just about all professional sports facilities combined. Not to mention the talent and history that has graced the facility in its lifetime.

agree. and I hate the yankees.

Taxman71
6/5/2008, 02:13 PM
I have 6 days to kill in NYC, might as well spend half of one at a ballgame. I chose a day game since it may make getting to and from the stadium less stressful.

I am thinking about the loge or main reserved to keep from frying. It is ridiculous what people are asking for a midseason game between the cellar dwellars of the AL East....makes the Redhawks seem even better.

Scott D
6/5/2008, 02:54 PM

To answer your question, there isn't a bad seat in the house except down the right and left field foul lines up aways. Some slight obstruction lies in those areas. Make sure to take the tour if you can, a must for any Yankee fan or baseball purist who like the history of the game.

invalid answer. jaux's is more appropriate. also, I've been there. the place was a ****hole in the 80s when I went. and fwiw, tiger's stadium was a dump when I went there and it was a good riddance.

Taxman71
6/5/2008, 03:16 PM
Isn't every baseball stadium over 40 years old a dump? I've heard the same about Wrigley and Fenway. Kaufman is still nice in KC.

Jimminy Crimson
6/5/2008, 03:22 PM
As far away from that place as you can!

Say, Boston, for example! :D

Scott D
6/5/2008, 03:41 PM
Isn't every baseball stadium over 40 years old a dump? I've heard the same about Wrigley and Fenway. Kaufman is still nice in KC.

It's more a fault of design flaw than anything. Realistically, if one can catch a game in one of those old barns then they should by all means do so. However, it's also good to remember that for the most part they aren't designed to give any sort of physical comfort to a modern sized individual. I'd rate old Chicago Stadium well ahead of Yankee Stadium for ambiance though.

I will give those old places one thing. They weren't the nonsensical cookie cutter crap stadiums that were popping up all over the place in the 60s and 70s.

AllAboutThe'O'
6/5/2008, 05:06 PM

Dodger Stadium's over 40 years old, too, and I still hear good things about the place, although I've never been to a game there. Also agree on the "K" in KC; it's going to look even better once they get the renovations done before next season.

Taxman71
6/5/2008, 05:23 PM
I think I would still rather watch the Yankees in old Yankee Stadium than the Rangers in the Ballpark in Arlington. Modern amenities are important if you go to alot of games, but for a one-time visitor, the historical significance reigns supreme.......unless I get whacked on the subway.

VeeJay
6/5/2008, 05:54 PM
Mrs. VJ's relatives live out in the 'burbs and go two to or three Yankees games each year - in broad daylight. And they hate going to Yankee Stadium. Why Steinbrenner hasn't built a nifty place out in Connecticut or Long Island is beyond me.

Long Island. Heh.

r5TPsooner
6/5/2008, 05:57 PM
invalid answer. jaux's is more appropriate. also, I've been there. the place was a ****hole in the 80s when I went. and fwiw, tiger's stadium was a dump when I went there and it was a good riddance.

Sure it's a **** hole but your dislike of the Yankees is very apparent in your reply and attitude. The place is a monument to baseball and almost a religious experience if you like the Yankees or like baseball even in the least. Of course, if you're like the poster above, then your dislike of anything Steinbrenner or the Yankees will probably make any Yankee Stadium related experience a negative one.

Like I said before, not a bad seat in the house except down the foul poles in the upper decks. The place is showing its age though but it's still Yankee ****ing Stadium.

Enjoy it!

Jimminy Crimson
6/5/2008, 06:01 PM
Sure it's a **** hole but your dislike of the Yankees is very apparent in your reply and attitude. The place is a monument to baseball and almost a religious experience if you like the Yankees or like baseball even in the least. Of course, if you're like the poster above, then your dislike of anything Steinbrenner or the Yankees will probably make any Yankee Stadium related experience a negative one.

Like I said before, not a bad seat in the house except down the foul poles in the upper decks. The place is showing its age though but it's still Yankee ****ing Stadium.

Enjoy it!

As a die-hard member of the Red Sox Nation, I agree. I'd still like to make it to a game at the 'old' Yankee sometime this summer. For the history, if nothing else.

Lott's Bandana
6/5/2008, 06:22 PM
Saw Dave Righetti pitch a no-no while sitting in the right field seats. July 4th, 1983 against the BlowSox. Saw a 17 inning game in 1982 that Willie Randolph ended with a double against the wall...sat second level behind home plate. Any seat will give you all the nostalgia in the world, but anything close to home plate, any level, will give you the view of the buildings above the facade and Monument Park...a view most baseball fans, Bomber lovers OR haters, have etched in their memories...you may love it so much you go back again for another game...

Curly Bill
6/5/2008, 06:23 PM
See if you can get in the owners box - that has to be pretty nice.

bluedogok
6/5/2008, 08:49 PM
We may try to do a Sox-Yankees game there and then head up to Boston for another game before heading back. I would still like to go see a game at Yankee Stadium before they tear it down. We are going to the Sox-Astros game in Houston at the end of this month.

BTW - the Sox just beat the Rays 7-1 tonight to sweep the series.

As far as The Ballpark in Arlington, it is not like it replaced anything special. The old Turnpike Stadium was not much of a facility, a minor league facility that was just added onto. I still haven't been to a game at the new ballpark, they were building it when I moved back to OKC from Dallas but I went to a bunch in the old Arlington Stadium. I kind of liked the old Busch Stadium, once they made it a baseball only facility it was a pretty good place to watch a game. I am a bit tired of the "generic old ballpark" style that everything seems to be built on now. It was nice for the first 20 or so times. Fenway and Wrigley are just special and nothing new can recreate that.

Scott D
6/5/2008, 11:51 PM
We may try to do a Sox-Yankees game there and then head up to Boston for another game before heading back. I would still like to go see a game at Yankee Stadium before they tear it down. We are going to the Sox-Astros game in Houston at the end of this month.

BTW - the Sox just beat the Rays 7-1 tonight to sweep the series.

As far as The Ballpark in Arlington, it is not like it replaced anything special. The old Turnpike Stadium was not much of a facility, a minor league facility that was just added onto. I still haven't been to a game at the new ballpark, they were building it when I moved back to OKC from Dallas but I went to a bunch in the old Arlington Stadium. I kind of liked the old Busch Stadium, once they made it a baseball only facility it was a pretty good place to watch a game. I am a bit tired of the "generic old ballpark" style that everything seems to be built on now. It was nice for the first 20 or so times. Fenway and Wrigley are just special and nothing new can recreate that.

I prefer to think of the current stadium movement as more of a revelation that the cookie cutter revolution that gave us crapholes like Candlestick, the Astrodome, Shea, Atlanta-Fulton County, Kingdome, etc...was just terrible.

Scott D
6/6/2008, 12:06 AM

Enjoy it!

You know what, just for the hell of it. I actually enjoyed my lone trip to Yankee Stadium..especially leaving, but that was for a humor reason not because of a dislike of the Yankees.

Perhaps it's because I'm not a Yankee fan, that one trip there was enough for me. And that's more of a "ok it's something I've done in life" kind of thing. I'd certainly have had more interest in getting a chance to see a game in the Polo Grounds or Ebbets Field than Yankee Stadium, but that's more of seeing something uniquely different.

But if it makes you feel better, I didn't think much of Shea when I went there the following year, and I think it's a good thing that place is going to be history also. Plenty of tradition and great things happened in plenty of stadiums that weren't Yankee Stadium, and it's ok for all of those stadiums to be gone now...except for Tiger's Stadium because there are morons who keep blocking it's demolition for something useful. :rolleyes:

Paperclip
6/6/2008, 12:18 AM
I'm not going to make it to Yankee Stadium before it closes, but I've seen games at Tiger Stadium and Fenway and would have felt worse about missing games there.

Fraggle145
6/6/2008, 01:07 AM
Because that rust bucket as you call it has more great memories than just about all professional sports facilities combined. Not to mention the talent and history that has graced the facility in its lifetime..

Maybe all professional... but not all college.

Oklahoma Memorial Stadium FTW :D

Fraggle145
6/6/2008, 01:08 AM
I prefer to think of the current stadium movement as more of a revelation that the cookie cutter revolution that gave us crapholes like Candlestick, the Astrodome, Shea, Atlanta-Fulton County, Kingdome, etc...was just terrible.

'Cept now it is more like going to the "mallpark."

Jimminy Crimson
6/6/2008, 02:28 AM
I am a bit tired of the "generic old ballpark" style that everything seems to be built on now. It was nice for the first 20 or so times. Fenway and Wrigley are just special and nothing new can recreate that.

Nationals Park and the new Minnesota park are going away from the 'old' look. I think that's what we'll be seeing a lot of when new parks are built.

Taxman71
6/6/2008, 09:22 AM
I only like the retro look when they build a park in a downtown setting like the Brick, Camden Yards, etc. When a stadium is in the middle of nowhere, they should make it with top notch, modern facilities ala Reliance Stadium or the new Cowboys place in Arlington will be.

Scott D
6/6/2008, 09:59 AM
'Cept now it is more like going to the "mallpark."

or the amusement ballpark. Lemme spend the 7th inning stretch on the ferris wheel! :D

NYC Poke
6/6/2008, 12:30 PM
My gf used to have season ticket in 451, which is on the same row as the luxury suites sort of behind 3rd base. It's a good view of the entire field, and it's prime foul ball catching territory.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/seating_pricing.jsp

Taxman71
6/6/2008, 01:31 PM
My gf used to have season ticket in 451, which is on the same row as the luxury suites sort of behind 3rd base. It's a good view of the entire field, and it's prime foul ball catching territory.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/nyy/ballpark/seating_pricing.jsp

That looks the loge section, the shade would be nice in July.

NYC Poke
6/6/2008, 02:17 PM
That looks the loge section, the shade would be nice in July.

We were towards the front, so it wasn't directly covered. I only went to night games, so I don't know if it's shaded during the day or not. I would suspect so.

And yes, Yankee Stadium is a dump compared to the stadiums I'd been to most recently before moving here - The Ballpark at Arlington and Minute Maid Field in Houston, both of which are very nice. The amenities reminded me of the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis. BUT, like Busch Stadium, it's a great atmosphere and a great place to watch a game.

And you don't feel too ripped off when you buy a beer because the beers aren't that much more expensive than everywhere else around here. The hot dogs are great -- Hebrew Nationals.

Taxman71
6/6/2008, 03:21 PM
I know the $6 and $8 beers at the Brick during OU-OSU seemed ridiculous....you should at least get a lap dance for those prices.

Curly Bill
6/6/2008, 03:52 PM
I know the $6 and $8 beers at the Brick during OU-OSU seemed ridiculous....you should at least get a lap dance for those prices.

...and you might actually get me to a baseball game. ;)

bluedogok
6/6/2008, 11:18 PM
I agree those were craptastic......all of the multi-purpose facilities were bad until they went to a single use only facility like the old Busch Stadium. Any time they became multi-purpose, it meant many compromises were made..that is where KC had it right back then in building both Arrowhead and Kaufmann.

Nationals Park and the new Minnesota park are going away from the 'old' look. I think that's what we'll be seeing a lot of when new parks are built.
I know, I am glad to see it.

sooneron
6/6/2008, 11:28 PM
If it's July, get a seat that gets you into the Stadium Club. You'll enjoy the ac during the breaks. It's a memorable place to watch a game.

Yeah, put the new one in Ct or Long Island. Whoever said that is retarded and they have never tried to navigtate either when there is any sort of traffic.