PDA

View Full Version : Greatest OU Play you've seen live?

Collier11
6/5/2008, 11:26 AM
Superman: I was in the opposite endzone, all I saw was Roys feet, Lehman with the ball, and A loud roar!

Renaldo: That Bama game as a hole was amazing to be at but his two runs were spectacular.

Woolfolk: That entire day was amazing other than the first two Nebraska drives but that catch he made was incredible

Not putting it in my top list cus we "lost" but when Reggie returned the KO against Oregon after we had been cheated twice, I thought he was gone, even with the FG I still thought we had it :mad:

htownsooner7
6/5/2008, 11:31 AM
Last season, it was Demarco's leap over the whorn tackle and taking it to the house. I about fell into the tunnel from my seat.

stoopified
6/5/2008, 11:36 AM
In my case it would actually be TWO plays:the back to back Utah pass plays vs. Alabama,If for no other reason than those clutch catches Renaldo Works will live forever in Sooner lore despite an otherwise forgettable career.IMHO they were the two biggest clutch plays made by ANY OU player on sucessive downs.I forget the particulars but I'm thinking they were about 45 yards and 25 yards respectively and on both plays it seemed to me like Works weaved back and forth through the entire Tide D.

Jack T.
6/5/2008, 11:47 AM
Probably the three (3) put returns for touchdowns by Antonio Perkins against UCLA in 2003.

SoonerAtKU
6/5/2008, 11:53 AM
KSU in 2001, Hunter Wall's only memorable moment as a Sooner.

KantoSooner
6/5/2008, 12:05 PM
Keith Jackson against .... well, you could go about three or four different ones. The man was a highlight film almost every week.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/5/2008, 12:20 PM
Renaldo of course......

Fazande taking one to the house against Louisville....Him running that toss sweep is forever etched in my mind for some reason

Parker against Texas when he would have had about 600 yards rushing if not for holding calls.....just pick a run..

Calmus INT against tejas with a cast on his arm

Onside kick 83 Stillwater...my first game...7 years old.....I can't tell you a single thing that happened before that because I was 7 and freezing my balls off...but I remember that because a Poke in front of us said "we just lost the game" and I wasn't sure why he was saying that when they was still up by 2

r5TPsooner
6/5/2008, 12:27 PM
At A&M, Marshall INT for a TD to set up the OU National Title in 2000. I still get goosebumps when I see the play.

OKLA21FAN
6/5/2008, 12:32 PM
This one time....at the Orange Bowl.......................

I saw Keith Jackson catch a TD pass from Jamelle Holieway to seal an NC.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/5/2008, 12:34 PM
oh my list is the ones I saw in person....is that right or are we talking live in person or on tv....because that a whole different ballgame

starclassic tama
6/5/2008, 12:56 PM
great thread. i'm gonna go back to when i was a wee lad, and seeing martin chase block syracuse's field goal to seal the victory. that play really got me into OU football, because there was no way we were supposed to win that game. one of the few bright spots under blake

swardboy
6/5/2008, 01:06 PM
I was in the stands at Columbia on this day...

Columbia, November 15, 1975 - The week after Kansas handed OU it's first loss in three years, the Sooners were struggling. Mizzou led 27-20 late in the game, and OU faced 4th and 1 from their own 29-yard line. Barry Switzer told QB Steve Davis to make sure Little Joe got the ball. Davis pitched to Washington, who cut between two blocks, broke two tackles, and made an unbelieveable 71-yard touchdown run. The Sooners had to go for the win to make sure they had a shot at the Big 8 Championship, and again, Little Joe's number was called. Washington took the pitch, was hit at the 2-yard line, then leaped and fell on the goal line. OU won 28-27 and went on to the 1975 national title.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fbirSv4kgNA

JLEW1818
6/5/2008, 01:31 PM
Superman.

yermom
6/5/2008, 01:38 PM
i haven't gone as nuts as i did at that Bama game during that Works catch/run

Superman is probably #2 to me

Scott D
6/5/2008, 01:56 PM
Cale Gundy bouncing his head off of that crappy carpet against Colorado in 93. I'd swear his skull was a basketball with the amount of times it bounced off that concrete ;)

Mad Dog Madsen
6/5/2008, 02:45 PM
AD's first run against the whorn's. There were a couple others I seen but this one just sticks out.

CU Sooner
6/5/2008, 02:59 PM
85 game against nebraska, Keith Jackson goes 88yds on end around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrhHbUvaEic

SouthFortySooner
6/5/2008, 03:01 PM
...#20 Billy Sims enters the game. Can't remember first play he ran but about the second was up the middle. I thought for 3 yards. Looked at scoreboard, 2nd down 3 yrds to go! :eek:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/5/2008, 03:35 PM
For personal reasons, Jeff Frazier's record run against N. Texas in 1995.

JLEW1818
6/5/2008, 03:41 PM
Superman.

Just hearing the guys voice on the replay later that day. " OU IS GOING TO WIN IT AGAIN, DO THESE GUYS EVERY LOSE A BIG GAME, NOT TODAY" goosebumps every time I watch the replay and hear that voice.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hyOJZqPBByY

NormanPride
6/5/2008, 04:11 PM
For me it's defensive plays. I know superman was amazing, and that ranks up there as possibly the best single play in Sooner history. But I am never prouder of a Sooner team than when they hold an offense for four plays on their own goal line. 52-9 made me so happy I almost cried.

soonermix
6/5/2008, 04:28 PM
superman

Collier11
6/5/2008, 04:30 PM
I was going for seeing in person

Scott D
6/5/2008, 04:53 PM
silly collier, you gotta say up front that's what you mean...I stick with my Gundy play though :D

bstuff1979
6/5/2008, 04:56 PM
Gotta go with a tie:

Scott Blanton's game winning kick against Cuse at the Carrier Dome (could say the entire no-huddle drive, but if we're going with one play that's it);
Renaldo Work's two runs in the 4th quarter against Bama

Mozart Loves Switzer
6/5/2008, 05:05 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't it David Vickers who stopped Nebraska on the goal line in 1984 in Lincoln?

batonrougesooner
6/5/2008, 05:13 PM
Superman: I was in the opposite endzone, all I saw was Roys feet, Lehman with the ball, and A loud roar!

Renaldo: That Bama game as a hole was amazing to be at but his two runs were spectacular.

Woolfolk: That entire day was amazing other than the first two Nebraska drives but that catch he made was incredible

Not putting it in my top list cus we "lost" but when Reggie returned the KO against Oregon after we had been cheated twice, I thought he was gone, even with the FG I still thought we had it :mad:

these three in this order

TheUnnamedSooner
6/5/2008, 05:22 PM
Superman and the catch Woolfolk made against Nebraska are definately a couple my favs.

Another more recent favorite is the goal line defense OU had against the pokes this last season. Holding them on 4 plays and the final one being a fumble was incredible.

jthomasou78
6/5/2008, 05:32 PM
It wasnt a play of great consequence but in 2000 against UTP in the 4th quarter. Works got stood up at the three yard line by 2 UTEP players then a few more joined in and he powered through the for a TD.

I remember just being floored by the strength and the hunger.

And anytime Stocker McDougle lined up as a fullback.

cvsooner
6/5/2008, 05:33 PM
Clint Ingram's interception with a few seconds left against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl...watching Marcus Dupree's performance against Arizona State in the '82 Fiesta Bowl. AD's final run in overtime against Bozo State.

Scotty Hill's hit on Tony Dorsett in '74. Wow.

SoonerDood
6/5/2008, 05:34 PM
these three in this order

same here. But I just can't watch the Superman play by itself, I have to go back and watch the whole 2nd half because it builds up to Superman.

And NP, yeah I remember you didn't think we'd stone OSU at the goalline. But we did.

I'd add to the list the Fake and Bomb at Alabama in '03.

DeadSolidPerfect
6/5/2008, 06:01 PM
Barry Burget's return of a blocked Vanderbilt FG for a touchdown.

Barry mowed my dad's lawn back in Stroud. I idolized both the Burgets.

soonerboy_odanorth
6/5/2008, 06:08 PM
Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't it David Vickers who stopped Nebraska on the goal line in 1984 in Lincoln?

Brian Hall

GottaHavePride
6/5/2008, 09:37 PM
OK, after Superman and Woolfolk's catch two jump to mind:

2001 vs. UNC: Tim Duncan kicks off, runs down the field, and strips the ball out of the UNC return man's hands. OU recovers.

I can't even remember what game it was in now: Quentin Griffin throws a block to de-cleat a defender, gets back up off the ground, passes the ball carrier, and does it AGAIN.

Big Red Ron
6/5/2008, 10:04 PM
Superman, the onside kick vs okie state off the helmet, and D. Strait's int return against Neb in 2000.

BoulderSooner79
6/5/2008, 10:06 PM
Scott Hill's hit on Dorsett in '75.

Billy Sims coming out game against Mizzou in '78. Hard to pick a play but he had 160+ yards, 4TDs and an 80 yarder called back on a hold. Launched his drive for the Heisman.

Big Red Ron
6/5/2008, 10:10 PM
Oh and White to Bradly at aTm to win the game was effin awesome.

Big Red Ron
6/5/2008, 10:12 PM
James Allen's goal line TD in OT vs. Texass

ouwasp
6/5/2008, 11:56 PM
Carr's 65 yd TD run that sealed the OB against Penn St. Those yankees finally shut up...

Dixon's 3rd qtr pick against the horns in '87. Broke open a tight game and was oh-so-enjoyable :D

texas bandman
6/6/2008, 12:26 AM
1971 Game of the Century
30 seconds left until half Sooners at their own 22 yd line. Nebraska leads 14-10. After a few running plays gaining to the 33, Jack Mildren goes back to pass and hits Jon Harrison streaking down the sideline to the Nebraska 24. On the next play, Mildren goes back and hits Jon Harrison in the endzone to put OU up at half 17-10. Before the game Mildren had only completed 22 of 45 passes. I was in the student section with my Dad, I had never been as excited as the moment that we went up right up before half, unfortunately it was to turn into anguish by the end of the game.

http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/07-08/video/m-footbl/05may/20080523_1971_ou_nebraska_game_of_the_century.wmv&school=okla&

Catch Gene Thrailkill (Coach)in his first year as director. I'd be in the Pride in 9 years and I'm certainly glad that the band improved during that time, except we still had to do his cheesy dance routines. :D

goingoneight
6/6/2008, 01:39 AM
1. Superman
2. Nic harris pwns Miami RB on an option attempt inside the 5 to make it 4th and goal... he got all kinds of high-fives from us when he knocked that guy OOB.
3. Demarco Murray's 65-yarder ended right in front of me, too. I've never seen anyone in full pads clear that many yards that fast.
4. "The catch" against Nebbish in 2000 was right in front of us, too.
5. Perkins 3 TD returns... after the second one, it became clear that UCLA flat-out quit unless he stepped OOB or tripped. That's pwnage if I ever saw it.
6. Paul Thompson's career night on senior night, a cold game against Taco Tceh in November 2006... Texas lost that night and I just knew that we were going to KC as soon as I heard the news.

TexasLidig8r
6/6/2008, 09:05 AM
I'm partial to this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SogNb3D5bIw

;)

OKLA21FAN
6/6/2008, 09:44 AM

;)

in retrospect, that maybe a winnar :gary:

Sooner24
6/6/2008, 02:20 PM
Joe Washingtons punt return against OSU 1974.

snp
6/6/2008, 05:08 PM
-Nic Harris interception in the end zone against Nebraska 2006
-Murray's hurdle
-AD's runs vs OSU in 2004

;)

Me too.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/7/2008, 12:56 AM
This one time....at the Orange Bowl.......................

I saw Keith Jackson catch a TD pass from Jamelle Holieway to seal an NC, against Penn State.Good as any one play ever. I also remember well the Keith Jackson end around play in the game against nebbish in Norman, also in '85, taking it to the house to establish Sooner dominance in that game, and pave the way for our later Orange Bowl destiny over PSU.

yermom
6/7/2008, 04:09 AM
-Nic Harris interception in the end zone against Nebraska 2006
-Murray's hurdle
-AD's runs vs OSU in 2004

Me too.

that was nuts, i saw it live but could barely tell what happened. it was like magic

ouflak
6/7/2008, 07:50 AM
The blocked field goal attempt at the end of the Syracuse game.

IronHorseSooner
6/7/2008, 08:08 AM
Perk's punt return for a TD against Mizzou in 2003. I was on leave from Iraq...As well in that game, I watched Dan Cody face plant Brad Smith into the ground.

MyT Oklahoma
6/7/2008, 02:20 PM
Getting to watch two.. count 'em two.. consecutive 35 point blowouts against you-know-who in Dallas in 1986 and 1987 was pretty darn cool. But being in the Snake Pit to watch AD score his last touchdown at home against Iowa State was also a special "I saw it live" moment in Sooner history for me.

birddog
6/7/2008, 03:03 PM
torrance marshall v. a&m 2000.

SoonerStats
6/7/2008, 08:20 PM
Joe Washingtons punt return against OSU 1974.
I've seen most of the ones mentioned already, but this is the one I was going to list since it also happened to be the first OU game I ever attended.

AocfL-BkJhQ&hl

Explodo
6/9/2008, 10:41 AM
My Pops dragged me up to Lincoln in 1976 to see the Sooners play the Huskers. I got to see the birth of "Sooner Magic" and was forever marked to be a die hard sooner fan. I can still remember Elvis Peacock and the Hook and Lateral. That play along with Mr. Peacock's performance, was the best I actualy witnessed. Although I did get to see most of Billy Sims's career...Especialy his goal line dives, It was hard to top the nebraska event.

Hell, my heart races right now thinking about it. Know what I mean? BTW, I was 8 years old.

schlanker
6/9/2008, 11:06 AM
I gotta go with Torrance Marshalls intercetion in aggie land. To see all those sheep humpers deflate was priceless.

#2 was superman for the same reason. The ut fans thought they still had a chance.

Collier11
6/9/2008, 11:30 AM
I gotta go with Torrance Marshalls intercetion in aggie land. To see all those sheep humpers deflate was priceless.

#2 was superman for the same reason. The ut fans thought they still had a chance.

I nearly had an anuerysm during the Marshall play, but I wasnt in the stadium

sooner518
6/9/2008, 11:42 AM
In the same game as the Reno plays (which in themselves were fantastic), when Bassey picked up that QB fumble and took it back to seal that game, that was the loudest I have ever heard the stadium. It was just absolute madness at that point as the entire stadium just exploded.

Probably not the "best" plays by any means, but the craziest I have ever personally witnessed the stadium.

- Perkins 3 punt returns for TD.

- Goal line stand against OSU in 2003 in the 52-9 game. the game wasnt even close by that point but our guys were pi$$ed and just flat owned owned them at the goal line. The crowd was ravenous at that point as well

Sooner_09
6/9/2008, 01:28 PM
While they may not be great, they were good enough to get me fired up in the student section. A couple that come to mind are:
AD's second long TD run against pokie state in 05
The Nic Harris hit against miami
Murray's 92 yard TD run against utah state
Murray's kick return to answer a baylor td, the place went nuts
The goal line stand/strip against pokie state

OKLA21FAN
6/9/2008, 01:42 PM
The goal line stand/strip against pokie state

which one? there have been a dozen or so of those over the decades :pop:

freshchris05
6/9/2008, 01:45 PM
if it weren't for probation people would still be talking about joe washington...

SoonerinSouthlake
6/9/2008, 09:26 PM
AD's first run against the whorn's. There were a couple others I seen but this one just sticks out.

It sticks out as the Greatest OU Play you have seen live?

Im sure it was nice run....but greatest?

To each his own...but perhaps you should take in your 2nd OU game this coming season.. ; )

SoonerinSouthlake
6/9/2008, 09:30 PM
Superman....
Does anyone remember how much the crowd was into the "william tell overture..OU" chant after that play. I was screaming "OU" so loud that I was seeing stars. Swear they could hear us chanting OU in Ft Worth.

And the Whorn section was DEAD silent!

this was almost as nice as AD's first run ; )

oupride
6/9/2008, 11:06 PM
Antonio Perkins against UCLA in 2003 and still looking for that game on dvd btw.....

Sooner_09
6/9/2008, 11:11 PM
which one? there have been a dozen or so of those over the decades :pop:

2007: 4th and goal

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
6/9/2008, 11:22 PM
Another one: Last year's goal line stand with osux.

sooneron
6/10/2008, 08:26 AM
Z1MpHG5x6q0&feature=related

sooneron
6/10/2008, 08:33 AM
fn44lp1BGuo&feature=related

hornswaggled
6/11/2008, 07:06 PM
Fumblerooskie against Neb in the north endzone at Norman (1977?).

I haven't been able to see many of the great plays in person, but I expect to see one every time they play on tv.

Sooner Schemer
6/11/2008, 08:19 PM
Fumblerooskie against Neb in the north endzone at Norman (1977?).I believe it was 1979, and Nebraska used it to score against us. Great play on their part, but we came back to win.

6/12/2008, 03:06 AM
Keith Jackson for the memories.

I don't think I've seen a more pure athlete than AD, though.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/12/2008, 08:22 AM
It sticks out as the Greatest OU Play you have seen live?

Im sure it was nice run....but greatest?

To each his own...but perhaps you should take in your 2nd OU game this coming season.. ; )

Well, I did have season tix the last 2 years. I also witnessed the Superman play but I think that's already been mentioned but I'm not sure. So, it's just the fact that it was his first run against the whorns and his only win against them.

KantoSooner
6/12/2008, 08:44 AM
Keith Jackson for the memories.

I don't think I've seen a more pure athlete than AD, though.

I'm told by my dad that Tommy McDonald was in that league, though who would know for sure, different eras and all. His comment was that McDonald could walk over to a group of people playing some unknown sport, ask them to explain the rules and in a couple of hours he'd probably be one of the world's best at whatever it was.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/12/2008, 12:07 PM
I'm told by my dad that Tommy McDonald was in that league, though who would know for sure, different eras and all. His comment was that McDonald could walk over to a group of people playing some unknown sport, ask them to explain the rules and in a couple of hours he'd probably be one of the world's best at whatever it was.I doubt there was a better all-white backfield ever in college than the 1956 Sooners. Jimmy Harris and Clendon Thomas were also great athletes.