PDA

View Full Version : If I were a beliver in omens....

royalfan5
6/4/2008, 09:06 PM
I think I may have had a bad one today. The weather is going boom up here tonight, and I received my paperback copy of Night of the Twisters, a fictionalized account of the June 4th, 1980 tornadoes that kicked the crap out of Grand Island, Nebraska, today. And the hail just started.

tommieharris91
6/4/2008, 09:19 PM
Talk to this guy. :gary:

royalfan5
6/4/2008, 09:24 PM
Talk to this guy. :gary:

I think our weather guys are calmer about this stuff than :gary: . Plus, I appreciate the fact that the reporters are just calling the bars in the small towns to find out what is going on.

SoonerStormchaser
6/5/2008, 03:37 PM
Heh...it's begun up there. Hope you have a storm shelter.

royalfan5
6/5/2008, 03:51 PM
Heh...it's begun up there. Hope you have a storm shelter.

I'll go sit under the stairs in the basement if I need to.

47straight
6/5/2008, 03:51 PM
Night of the Twisters?

Any other Newbury award winners that you're reading up on for 8th grade english next year?

Sooner_Havok
6/5/2008, 03:54 PM
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/havok0283/oun.gif

looks pretty favorable.

royalfan5
6/5/2008, 03:55 PM
Night of the Twisters?

Any other Newbury award winners that you're reading up on for 8th grade english next year?

It was 5.99 and it's a piece of Nebraska culture. They made a movie out of it with John Scheinder and Devon Sawa. John Scheinder played a former Cornhusker. How can you top that.

mdklatt
6/5/2008, 04:33 PM
looks pretty favorable.

That shear is weaksauce.

Sooner_Havok
6/5/2008, 04:43 PM
That shear is weaksauce.

Hey, I didn't say we would be getting May 3 here :D

mdklatt
6/5/2008, 04:47 PM
Hey, I didn't say we would be getting May 3 here :D

I say squall line with extreme winds, but minimal tornado threat.

mdklatt
6/5/2008, 04:55 PM
Hmmm....

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=OKZ016&warncounty=OKC039&firewxzone=OKZ016&local_place1=8+Miles+WNW+Custer+City+OK&product1=Short+Term+Forecast

MODERATE INSTABILITY AND STRONG DEEP LAYER SHEAR ACROSS
WESTERN OKLAHOMA AND WESTERN NORTH TEXAS WILL SUPPORT THE
DEVELOPMENT OF SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORMS THIS AFTERNOON.

I don't get it. Yeah, there's a hellacious jet streak headed this way, but the surface winds are just as strong and there's very little directional shear either. But as I look at that sounding again the SREH was 311.

The radar right now says "squall line event" to me, so I'll stick to my guns. :cool:

47straight
6/6/2008, 10:35 AM
It was 5.99 and it's a piece of Nebraska culture. They made a movie out of it with John Scheinder and Devon Sawa. John Scheinder played a former Cornhusker. How can you top that.

Reading it when I'm 11, some years before completion of graduate degrees and the like?

Maybe that's just the difference in the educational systems of the two states. :D I really liked it, FWIW. Might I recommend the "Soup" series of books by Robert Newton Peck and the "MacDonald Hall" series of books by Gordon Korman?

royalfan5
6/6/2008, 10:49 AM
Reading it when I'm 11, some years before completion of graduate degrees and the like?

Maybe that's just the difference in the educational systems of the two states. :D I really liked it, FWIW. Might I recommend the "Soup" series of books by Robert Newton Peck and the "MacDonald Hall" series of books by Gordon Korman?
I read it when I was in grade school. I just wanted a copy of my own because of the memories attached and it was 5.99.